** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Denman

Re: Denman i was watching the race & saying stay within 4L Ruby, stay within 4l, when Denman turned it on, KS was about 12L behind, that was too far. KS didnt jump as fluently as it has before. :notworthyto Denman & also :clap to Sam Thomas. was on at 5's in an ante post yankee, but Franchoek cost me a few quid on that one.

Re: Denman It was an awesome performance from denman. But it must be said Kauto hit far too many fences far more than average. I would have no problem suggesting that kauto can turn the form around in the future. Only just have to look at the proximity of neptune in 3rd to see this. Roll on part 2:ok

Re: Denman Hmmmmmmm, Don't like to be a kill joy, but it was not the quality performance I had hoped to see. Can not believe Neptunes improved that much. Kauto Star jumped as if his back was hurting. Exotic ran asthough not fit enough. Halcon was outpaced and did not run to form. So what are we left with? HAving said all that, Harry was right, they went out and did what they had to do to beat Kauto. Terrific performance to have 1-2-3 by Nicholls. Well done to Denman, connections and all that backed him. Nicholls for BBC Sports Personality! Ginge

Re: Denman Harry promised it would run in the National next season, i do hope by winning the Gold Cup he doesnt change his plans. Just heard the what the handicapper thought of todays race, he said Kauto ran 2lbs below best, i thought a bit more than that to be honest and now rates Denman in the 180's. What some are forgetting is that Denman wasnt extended to his maximum, if Kauto had been closer i'm sure Denman would have found even more, and why did Kauto make so many errors, because he hasnt been put under that kind of pressure that often, give the winner the credit he deserves.

Re: Denman Watched the race twice more now relaxed and concentrated :) My thoughts are that Exotic Dancer was close to Kauto, but again couple of lengths away. Would have finished behind him as usual, but made a very bad mistake and weakaned after that. Neptune Collonges is now rated in the 170's if I heard the comentary right and rightly so. I don't think Kauto was below par that much, I think he made only one error. The way Neptune closed on him in the end is IMO because of the fact Kauto has never been streched out that much till now on such a tricky ground. Certainly trickier than last year. Harry Finley said he definitely thinks the ground is a bit testing before the race. And last year the pace was so slow in the beginning. I don't know the times yet, but definitely want to see those. And I still think Denman has a bit of improvement left in him. The way he gallops and jumps is magnificent. He brushed through the top of the 3rd last, watch it on the replay. He was very low actually, but that never stoped his rythm. Other horses would have been on the ground to be honest. Kauto has 7 lengths to find and Denman has more to offer is my honest opinion.

Re: Denman Top class from Denman, not quite the best performance this week that was Master Minded imo but still top class. Personally I do not think KS was at his top best, he still ran a fine race and probably similar to last year's Gold Cup but not absolute vintage. Did not jump well enough to be at his best but Denman had a big say about that, he just crushed him and did not really allow him to be in a top rythmm. Possibly he did not quite appreciate the tacky ground but he has won on that before so no real excuse there, maybe does not like Cheltenham fences as much as thought, seems a strange thing to say considering he won their last year but that Gold Cup was a strange affair (time/pace) after all a fall in the QMCC in 2006 and now today under the optimum pressure which is probably the main reason, he did not quite jump nor cruise and travel as he can do, he never really put the pressure on Denman, it was the other way round. Maybe just an idea for KS next year would be just to try and get a run in before GC at Chelt, maybe Letherby and Christopher just to clear up a nagging doubt that has just gone into my mind but as I say that is down to Denman as much as anything else. As for NC, ran a great race, has shown promise before, Grade 1 winner in Ire but that was a fine performance, career best. If you were being picky it may slightly bring the form down a touch being so close, esp. as up to now it had needed flat tracks seemingly and was arguably better right handed.

Re: Denman This report on Sporting Life by Dave Ord sums it up perfectly or me tbh.

There was no anti-climax, just a breathtaking horse race. Denman won the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup. It was at the top of the hill that we knew, the moment Ruby Walsh loosened the reins on Kauto Star after getting in a touch close to the last ditch. He was in trouble, whilst Denman was freewheeling his way home. A mistake at the third last was a slight scare for Sam Thomas in the saddle, but the race was safe. Kauto Star never gave in, but the legs were weary. The heart wanted to fight, but he couldn't get there. For a few strides going towards the last he somehow threatened to engage battle but the run petered out. This was Denman's day. Thomas was magnificent in the saddle. Once he went to the front with a circuit to go you knew this was going according to plan. At the line the winning margin was seven lengths, it was going to be around that margin from a long way out. Kauto Star fought bravely to repel Neptune Collonges and cling onto second. The crown may be gone but he remains a champion. And what a race Neptune Collonges ran in third. Making the early running and then fighting all the way to the line once Denman had flown. This was the pinnacle of Paul Nicholls' training career. A one-two-three in the most prestigious race of the season is a phenomenal achievement. But he is a phenomenal trainer. It is fitting that Paul Barber is a part-owner in Denman, he is landlord and mentor to the trainer. Nicholls has incredible depth to his team and it promises to get even better over the coming years. He was a man under incredible pressure coming into this week, but it never showed. He is a pleasure to deal with, as approachable as any handler in the country. At the media day to promote the Festival, Dicheat was inundated by broadcasters, journalists and TV crews. Yet everyone got the interviews they wanted. It was great PR for the sport. The totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup was great for the sport. And the winner could just be a great too.

Re: Denman

Harry promised it would run in the National next season, i do hope by winning the Gold Cup he doesnt change his plans. Just heard the what the handicapper thought of todays race, he said Kauto ran 2lbs below best, i thought a bit more than that to be honest and now rates Denman in the 180's.
I understand its still the plan to run him in next years GN, which seems a surprising move to me - i would have thought they would wait until 2010 but hey ho. Can you imagine what the weights would be like - half the field would be out of the handicap!

I understand its still the plan to run him in next years GN' date=' which seems a surprising move to me - i would have thought they would wait until 2010 but hey ho. Can you imagine what the weights would be like - half the field would be out of the handicap![/quote'] Listened to the interview with the whole team after the gold cup. It sounded to me Nicholls wasn't that fond of the idea.

Re: Denman Denmans winning time was 7 secs slower than KS last year. The ground was tackier yes, but i also would like to see sectional times as KS never picked up at all & despite being 4L behind, was suddenly about 15L behind when Sam pressed the button on Denman. I still dont think Denman would beat KS over 3m & would love to see it next season perhaps at the King George ? I put up a thread last year about the possibility of KS getting beaten in last years race amid qustion marks over its ability to stay & also its lack of course form. Ok, nothing was good enough last year but this year Denman proved that KS is beatable on a level playing field.

Re: Denman KS didnt show up simple as. Fook Denman if that race was run next week with both horses 100% then KS would do Denman by 2L's. Dont get me wrong it was a superb performance by Denman but I think rather than Denman winning it, KS lost it. I hope Denman doesnt get to run the GN for 1 he'd be near top weight and 2 you'd not get a price on him. I cant see Denman wining that Gold Cup next year, he's more opposable than KS. Ive always said that KS would get beat by 1 horse and thats KS himself which is what we seen, shame really but Denman is a good horse but I still think he wont beat a 100% fit ready KS.

Denmans winning time was 7 secs slower than KS last year. The ground was tackier yes, but i also would like to see sectional times as KS never picked up at all & despite being 4L behind, was suddenly about 15L behind when Sam pressed the button on Denman. I still dont think Denman would beat KS over 3m & would love to see it next season perhaps at the King George ? I put up a thread last year about the possibility of KS getting beaten in last years race amid qustion marks over its ability to stay & also its lack of course form. Ok, nothing was good enough last year but this year Denman proved that KS is beatable on a level playing field.
The race this year was much faster when you factor in the going allowance. Last year 's Triumph and County Hurdle were run 12s and 15s faster last year and the Foxhunter 17s. This was a true run race and Denman had no more to give. If it had been softer Neptune Collonges may well have won.

Re: Denman Ruby has reportedly said he knew KS was not travelling after about 1m of the race (shame we didn't know that in running) and was not his usual self, ran flat like at Aintree. Can't take anything away from Denmans performance, it may have beaten quite a poor field apart from KS but did so in grand style.

KS didnt show up simple as. Fook Denman if that race was run next week with both horses 100% then KS would do Denman by 2L's. Dont get me wrong it was a superb performance by Denman but I think rather than Denman winning it, KS lost it. I hope Denman doesnt get to run the GN for 1 he'd be near top weight and 2 you'd not get a price on him. I cant see Denman wining that Gold Cup next year, he's more opposable than KS. Ive always said that KS would get beat by 1 horse and thats KS himself which is what we seen, shame really but Denman is a good horse but I still think he wont beat a 100% fit ready KS.
Ive held my silence on the subject as I know I have a slightly biased opinion, being a huge fan of KS but agree with Carls' view. Not taking anything away from Denman but I feel it was more to do with KS's underperformance than anything amazing by Denman. Give me the same race tomorrow and Ill still be on Kauto Star.

Re: Denman Agree with WFTE and Carl. Kauto wasn't himself, it's clear to see - he was never fluent in his jumping. Ok, maybe that had something to do with the pace set at the front, maybe the ground, but something just didn't add up with Kauto. Look back at the King George and tell me Neptune Collonges is within a couple of pounds of Kauto - no chance. There's massive value in 4s on Kauto for next year's Gold Cup already. :eek I'm not taking anything away from Denman btw - superb performance in conditions that clearly suited him perfectly, and that's what it's about - the horse that wins on the day.

• 9 months later...

Re: Denman CHELTENHAM Gold Cup winner Denman has been given a first entry since that Festival triumph in March in a Pertemps Handicap Hurdle Qualifier at Wincanton on Boxing Day. However, his trainer Paul Nicholls seems unlikely to take up the hurdling option as a launching pad to the 2008-09 campaign, with his sights remaining set on the Peter Marsh Chase at Haydock next month. :unsure