Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

I missed that' date=' why has Doshi left?? He seemed to be a good young prospect for Surrey, with a possible England future especially in ODIs.[/quote'] The last 5 words of the quote you highlighted would probably be why he left. I'm guessing when they signed Harbhajan (bearing in mind they already had 2 overseas players so Harbhajan was kind of an extreme measure signing) he wasn't happy as it probably looked to him as if they were saying "you're not good enough". He wouldn't have an England future I don't think. He's 29, he's not as good as Monty and can't bat or field to give him an advantage over Monty.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doshi, 28, said: "I didn't feel that I had the backing I should have had."
Looks like you're right, sounds a bit precious to me. probably suffering from having the limelight stolen by Schofield's revival?? Looking like a very good day for you kev - I followed on Kent as I thought they were dead certs against a very weak Derbys side but as it turns out that game looks like ebing the closest!!

:clap:clap:clap Kev
Excellent Kev!!! :beer I was on your 3 picks as well, thanks!! :ok
Cheers guys. Glad you were on. 1 match for Monday. No prices on odds-comparison though so can't copy them in here. I can put my bet in here though :D. 10pts Middlesex to beat Leicestershire 4/6 Stan James Middlesex come into this game having won 1 and lost 1 so far having lost to Durham but absolutely battered Glamorgan. Leicestershire lost their only match in Pro40 so far against Kent. Lords hosts this game. Middlesex are in good form at the minute. They were a little bit unlucky to lose to Durham when the conditions seemed to turn against them really. They got back to winning ways yesterday though with a demolition of Glamorgan. Eoin Morgan, Ed Smith, Owais Shah and Ed Joyce are all in good nick with the bat and Chad Keegan, Chaminda Vaas and Murali Kartik are all very good with the ball. Leicestershire haven't played much cricket in the last 2 weeks having had both their scheduled Championship matches very much rain affected. HD Ackerman and Paul Nixon are in great form with the bat while Stuart Broad and Dave Masters will be tough to face on that Lords slope with the ball. Snape and Henderson's spin shouldn't be as much of an issue as it normally is on a solid Lords wicket. Middlesex have done a lot of travelling over the last 72 hours or so which could take their toll but I would expect them to see off this Leicestershire side at Lords. 4/6 isn't the best price in the world but it's decent enough value to lure me in.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Hampshire vs Notts in live on TV on Wednesday.

Hampshire 1.831.831.911.881.831.831.831.831.721.81.831.751.831.831.831.91.911.85
Nottinghamshire 1.831.831.82.041.831.831.831.8321.91.8321.831.831.832.062.061.83
4 plays for me. 10pts Hampshire to beat Nottinghamshire 5/6 Bet Direct 4th meets 5th in this Division 1 clash at the Rose Bowl. Hampshire have 3pts from 2 games having beaten Essex on Sunday and having their game with Worcestershire rained off. Notts opened their account with an easy as you like win over a dangerous Warwickshire side. Hampshire should be at full strength for this match. Whether Chris Tremlett plays is up in the air a bit but he is not centrally contracted to the ECB so he should be free should Hampshire want to use him. Sean Ervine returned against Essex and is likely to play again here. Daren Powell impressed on his debut on Sunday and will want to follow that up here. I would imagine this pitch will be the same one as was used on Sunday so Warne and Udal are likely to both play. Notts have a few injuries coming into this game. Charlie Shreck was already out but last week Mark Ealham went lame in the Championship match at Northampton and he'll be missing here. It's unknown to me if Ryan Sidebottom will feature but he hasn't featured for Notts since his call up so I would imagine it's unlikely. AJ Harris is often hit and miss too with injury. The Outlaws have no such problems with the bat though and all of their batsmen are fit. On paper this looks like a really close game but a couple of things that could separate the sides are Hampshire's home advantage, and Hampshire having their keep it tight bowler in Mascarenhas while Ealham, Notts' equivalent is on the sidelines. The lights at the Rose Bowl are permanent so there won't be the useful bat 1st bias. Warne and Fleming don't get along much after a Championship fracas 2 years ago and both will be going hard to win but I'd just favour the home side in what could be an even contest. 10pts Under 6 6's 5/4 Sporting Odds The Rose Bowl has a massive playing area and it's awfully hard to hit it into the stands here. Throughout all of the Friends Provident games at the Rose Bowl this year and indeed all the Pro40 games here last year, not one match has provided 6 or more 6's. That backs up my thoughts on the size of the ground. There were plenty of 6's hit here on Sunday but that was a combination of rain in the morning bringing the boundaries in and the match being reduced to a 25 over game. The weather is set to be perfect so I see no shortage in overs here and think we'll stay under the 6's total. 5pts ew M.Lumb Top Hampshire Batsman 5/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Michael Lumb has probably been Hampshire's best one day batsman. He has lots of confidence and can play shots all around the wicket, and he doesn't mind coming down the pitch to the bowlers. All he's lacked this year really is a really big score but he's had 3 60's in the limited overs stuff, the latest of which came against Essex on Sunday. In that innings he was quite brilliant and he set the game up for Hampshire. That will keep his confidence high coming into this game. Lumb opens the batting in this competition so he has the opportunity to steal a march on the rest. As he's Hampshire's best 1 day batsman and will open he's a great ew bet here. 5pts M.Wagh Top Nottinghamshire Batsman 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Mark Wagh is in superb form with the willow at the minute. In the Championship he hit a brillant 107 against Essex which was then followed up with a solid 74 against Gloucestershire. Then in the Pro40 game against Warwickshire last week he hit a nicely formed 66 and followed all that up with a superb 152 against Northants again in the Championship. So Wagh is clearly the man in form. He's a brilliant batsman who is easy on the eye and may well have gone onto bigger and better things had a nasty knee injury not dogged him for the last couple of years. He left Warwickshire for Trent Bridge at the start of this season and is back in the runs again. When he's in form like this he is simply a run machine and with confidence obviously sky high I think Wagh, coming in at 3 is a very good bet to top score for the Outlaws.

Essex 1.611.661.611.71.721.661.611.661.611.661.611.71.661.661.661.721.71.57
Worcestershire 2.22.12.22.2222.12.22.12.22.12.22.22.12.12.12.252.282.22
4 for me. Game is live on SS3. 10pts Worcestershire to beat Essex 6/5 Ladbrokes It's 6th vs 4th at Chelmsford this evening as the Essex Eagles look for their 1st win of the season against a Worcestershire side who come here off the back of beating Sussex. Essex are defending champions in this competition while Worcestershire are the new boys in division 1. Essex will be without a couple of key players for this game. Alistair Cook isn't in the squad to play after his England exertions and Danish Kaneria is still out through injury. Tim Phillips is also out. Batsman Tom Westley is added to the 11 which took to the field against Hampshire last Sunday. Grant Flower and Ravi Bopara will be key with the bat, and Andy Bichel, against his former club, will be key with the ball. Worcestershire will be pleased just to be playing some cricket at long last. They are at full strength here. Kabir Ali's had a few words to say in the selectors direction so he'll be eager to make sure he goes well. Vikram Solanki, in his benefit year at New Rd, is in good touch with the bat as is Ben Smith and the evergreen Graeme Hick. The 2 spinners Ray Price and Gareth Batty will be key with the ball but Worcestershire look nicely balanced. The lights here are permanent and aren't too bad so there shouldn't be a bat 1st bias. I think overall Worcestershire have the stronger side here and a captain in Solanki who I like and I think he'll lead his side to victory. 10pts Over 6 6's 11/8 Sporting Odds Chelmsford isn't a big ground and I'd expect to see a few maximums here. We've got 2 pretty big hitting sides with clean hitters right down both lineup's. Matches at Chelmsford usually have a few clearing the ropes and with the likes of Bopara, Foster, ten Doeschate, Bichel, Jaques, Solanki and Hick on display here we have every chance of seeing a few. Both matches here in this competition last season had over 6 6's in it and I think this one will go the same way. 5pts ew J.Foster Top Essex Batsman 8/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) This is incredible value for an each way bet. James Foster is in real good touch with the bat. He nearly got Essex home on Sunday despite them chasing 9 an over for 25 overs. Foster top scored in that game with 61 from 40 balls and that followed a 71 against Somerset in the Championship and 204 in the Championship against Nottinghamshire. He's clearly the man in form and although he bats at 6 Essex aren't that strong above him. He can play the knock it round innings or the power blaster innings and is a superb ew bet. 5pts V.Solanki Top Worcestershire Batsman 4/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Vikram Solanki comes here off the back of a quickly made 55 against Sussex on Sunday. That was nearly enough to top score but he was pipped at the post by Graeme Hick. I'm a real fan of Solanki's and he plays spin really well which is vital at Chelmsford. He'll open the innings so he can steal a march on his colleagues somewhat. Solanki is showing signs of hitting real top form and when he does that he's one of the best in the country. I fancy him to top score but will err on the side of caution and take him ew so that if someone does pip him we get our cash back.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Worcestershire won that easily and Solanki placed. Foster danced down the pitch and swiped at thin air and did nothing. All works out +2 for the day and now +62.58 for the competition. The next Pro40 games are on Sunday.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 3 matches tomorrow but odds-comparison hasn't got the prices up for me to put in here. I'm having 1 bet though. In a hurry though so no time for a real in depth write up. 10pts Worcestershire to beat Nottinghamshire 11/10 Boylesports Notts come into this game with a load of injuries to their bowlers and while their batting is firing they will struggle to stop the runs with their 3 main bowlers not available here. Phil Jaques scored a century for Worcestershire on Thursday night when they beat the defending champions Essex in fine style. They are at full strength and after winning their last 2 they will be full of confidence and I think they'll make it 3 wins on the spin here.

3 matches tomorrow but odds-comparison hasn't got the prices up for me to put in here. I'm having 1 bet though. In a hurry though so no time for a real in depth write up. 10pts Worcestershire to beat Nottinghamshire 11/10 Boylesports Notts come into this game with a load of injuries to their bowlers and while their batting is firing they will struggle to stop the runs with their 3 main bowlers not available here. Phil Jaques scored a century for Worcestershire on Thursday night when they beat the defending champions Essex in fine style. They are at full strength and after winning their last 2 they will be full of confidence and I think they'll make it 3 wins on the spin here.
Worcestershire won by 9 runs but it was much more comfortable than that in reality. +11 for the day and now +73.58 for Pro40. Sussex vs Gloucestershire tomorrow which is live on Sky. I'll sort some bets out shortly.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Sussex vs Gloucestershire is live on Sky tomorrow. Again odds-comparison don't have prices to put on here for some reason. I've got 3 bets though. 10pts Gloucestershire to beat Sussex 4/3 Sporting Odds Sussex host Gloucestershire in this day night clash at Hove. Both sides have 1 thing in common, both were beaten by Kent in Saturday's Twenty20 finals. When these 2 met earlier in the year in the Friend's Provident Trophy, the Gladiators ran out 1 wicket winners in a 31 over match. Sussex have 1 defeat from their 1 game while Gloucester have a win and 2 washouts from 3 matches. Sussex are likely to be all change here. Twenty20 hero Luke Wright struggles to get a game in Pro40 and will be fighting for his place with Robin Martin-Jenkins. Matt Prior will be away with England so Andrew Hodd will come in for him and Richard Montgomerie will replace whoever misses out between Wright and Martin-Jenkins. Sussex will be hurting from the fact it took them 28 overs of their Twenty20 semi final before they turned up but they'll have their work cut out to handle a decent Gloucester side here. Gloucestershire will be very disappointed they are not the Twenty20 champions. Having looked dead and buried, they fought brilliantly but when it mattered couldn't quite bring it home. I'd expect the same side that lost Saturday to go again here. Marshall and Spearman both played superb innings on finals day and Mark Hardinges impressed greatly with the ball as did the always superb Jon Lewis. The winner of this is likely to be the one whose Twenty20 loss had less impact. I'd imagine it would have hit Sussex more because they were expecting to win while Gloucester made the finals and did something nobody barring myself seemed to think they could and that's beat Lancashire. This Gloucester side fight hard and are professional and I think they'll come out on top here. 10pts Gloucestershire Highest 1st 15 overs Evs Totesport Gloucestershire will open with either Kadeer Ali or Hamish Marshall alongside Craig Spearman here and they look full of runs in the 1st 15 overs. All 3 batted well at Edgbaston on Saturday. In fact Spearman in the semi final against Lancashire was superb and looks back to his best. At his best any attack in the world can disappear. In contrast Sussex will open with Nash and Montgomerie. Nash can give it some pasty like he did at Edgbaston on Saturday but he reins himself in a bit in this. Montgomerie plays himself in and looks to bat the innings through. Rana Naved has a tendency to go round the park early doors boosting Gloucester's chances early doors and they'll lead after 15 overs. 5pts ew R.Montgomerie Top Sussex Batsman 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Richard Montgomerie showed some decent form in the Pro40 match against Worcestershire last Sunday by making 65 from 80 balls. That's his type of innings. He'll never go berserk, he'll bat the innings through at his pace and let the others attack around him. Earlier in the season when these 2 sides met, Montgomerie made 100 off 87 balls so he not only has recent form but he has form against this opponent. Goodwin and Adams are the main dangers here but Montgomerie opens so he'll have a head start on those when they come into bat and at 9/2, he's very much worth an ew interest.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Very impressed by both Wright and Kirtley there. Just a shame they could not do it on Saturday for me. However one must ask the question, if they are good enough for England's 20 20 on today's eveidence why not the 50 over format?

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 wow, what a match :eek Imagine if Luke Wright manages to transfer this into the international arena :eek Woody - I agree, I think both are going to play against India with England A so we'll see how they go.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Is Luke Wright really good enough for England? I have my doubts. It's fine twatting county dibbly dobblers around a park on a flatter than flat deck but doing it against top class international bowlers is a different thing entirely. I stand to be proved wrong but it looks like one of the worst selection decisions I've seen. From nowhere, half a dozen decent knocks and he's suddenly international class. Not for me I'm afraid. Awful night for me although at half time with Gloucestershire making 102 in 15 overs and 266 off 40 it looked ok but all 3 bets were losers so -30 now and back to +43.58 for Pro40 now.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 thing is kev, how often did England come unstuck in the world cup because nobody could put the dobblers away when they came on in the middle? Thinking especially of the Bangladesh game. You're right though we can't build him up too soon, but it'd be great if he could succeed where the likes of Ali Brown failed.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 You're quite right but that won't be Wright's game, his game will be shoved in to slap it about early doors. Well if we're going down that route, why aren't we going with Mal Loye? He's done it for years not just 6 weeks. The other thing I can't believe is there's no place for either Monty or Jon Lewis.

Is Luke Wright really good enough for England? I have my doubts. It's fine twatting county dibbly dobblers around a park on a flatter than flat deck but doing it against top class international bowlers is a different thing entirely. I stand to be proved wrong but it looks like one of the worst selection decisions I've seen. From nowhere, half a dozen decent knocks and he's suddenly international class. Not for me I'm afraid. Awful night for me although at half time with Gloucestershire making 102 in 15 overs and 266 off 40 it looked ok but all 3 bets were losers so -30 now and back to +43.58 for Pro40 now.
I agree it is a step up from the domestic seen but I completely disagree that it is the worst selection decisions ever. For a start he fits the right profile in that he is young and has come through the under 19 set ups etc. and he is one of the form players in the country in the 20 20 and now 40 over cricket and surely he deserves his chance to show if he is good enough?

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 He's just not for me. Maybe it's the Hampshire fan in me I dunno. I don't see much difference in his form to Rob Key's form really with the difference that Rob Key did do it on the big stage on Saturday and again has been playing well for a few years as opposed 6 weeks. I don't suppose it makes much difference as I'd imagine we'd be lining up with a top 6 of Maddy, Solanki, Bopara, KP, Collingwood, Flintoff.

You're quite right but that won't be Wright's game' date=' his game will be shoved in to slap it about early doors. Well if we're going down that route, why aren't we going with Mal Loye? He's done it for years not just 6 weeks. The other thing I can't believe is there's no place for either Monty or Jon Lewis.[/quote'] I actually agree about Loye who for me would have been a better choice than Solanki ( probably picked for his fielding as much as anything.) Monty should be in for me. Ok he is inexperienced in the game but he is by miles England's best spinner and should adapt (why pick Snape and Schofield?) The difference between say putting these 20 20 batting specialists (Maddy, Wright) in for batsman like Cook and Bell is that there is the feeling and I probably agree with it that the batsman cannot really adapt or have not so far in the glimpses of them to the aggressive style of batting up the order in 20 20 and therefore the need for change. I do not agree with that for Monty and the spinners. As for Lewis well if it is a straight shoot out between him and Kirtley, I would go for Kirtley due to his death bowling. You cannot pick them all.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Schofield? We would be better off picking Phillip rather than Chris. Surely over the last few weeks the two best one day specialist spinners have been Tredwell from Kent and Swann from Notts, by a country mile. Bizarre really. Don't mind picking Twenty20 specialists but not go the whole hog, fair enough picking the likes of Kirtley and Maddy. Ou est la Mascarenhas?

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 I've no problem with Kirtley (apart from he's Sussex :() but we don't need Broad AND Tremlett. Far too similar. One will do. Broad for me which means Lewis for Tremlett who can then help Hants win Pro40 :D. I agree with everything else you've said apart from you can only have 1 of Wright and Loye. You've got to be positive but also not too gung ho.

Schofield? We would be better off picking Phillip rather than Chris. Surely over the last few weeks the two best one day specialist spinners have been Tredwell from Kent and Swann from Notts, by a country mile. Bizarre really. Don't mind picking Twenty20 specialists but not go the whole hog, fair enough picking the likes of Kirtley and Maddy. Ou est la Mascarenhas?
:welcome to PL mate. I completely agree. I thought Tredwell was superb in the semi on Saturday and anyone who watched the Hampshire vs Notts game last week would have seen Graeme Swann at his best. I'm glad someone other than myself brought up Mascarenhas :ok