** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Sussex won easily in the end. Northants were a good 50 runs short and more. +18.22 for the night thanks to both Sussex bets coming in and Klusener placing. +24.69pts for the competition now. Warwickshire vs Lancashire tomorrow. I'll do my bets in a short while.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Nice work as ever Kev.
agreed.
Cheers guys. Warwickshire vs Lancashire at Edgbaston is live on Sky tomorrow lunchtime. Note that matches from now on start an hour earlier when they are day games. This starts at 12.45pm.
Warwickshire2.252.22.272.252.22.22.22.22.12.22.2522.12.22.32.26
Lancashire1.571.611.681.571.611.611.611.611.661.611.661.721.661.611.71.54
10pts Lancashire to beat Warwickshire 8/11 Stan James 8th host 5th here in a match neither side will want to lose. Should Warwickshire lose this they would be in all sorts of relegation trouble. A Lancashire loss wouldn't be the end of the world but it would make them edgy as the climax to the season approaches. These two have met here this season already when Lancashire won the Twenty20 quarter final by 6 runs. Warwickshire were absolutely atrocious against Hampshire on Wednesday and a repeat of that will guarantee them a loss here. They collapsed with their batting and with the ball they were all over the place. They have some good batsmen, Maddy, Trott, Troughton and Loudon all have ODI experience and Ambrose is being touted for it. With the ball though, there's too much youth. Heath Streak remains quality but Anyon, Thomas and Greonewald aren't getting the job done. Lancashire have their non International string out here. Flintoff, Anderson, Hodge and Murali are no longer around. Mal Loye is still out with his back spasms which means that Stuart Law is left as the main batsman. In the last few weeks though, the likes of Paul Horton and Steven Croft have begun to really contribute with the bat. Cork, Chapple, Keedy and Mahmood provide 4/5 of a decent bowling attack and really the Lightning should be targetting this as a win. Something's gone pear shaped in the Bears dressing room and it didn't look like it was close to being rectified the other night. Lancashire are a young side but have the weapons to win this. 5pts ew P.Horton Top Lancashire Batsman 6/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Paul Horton is in stunning form with the bat right now. He hit a superb 152 in the Championship match with Hampshire last week and that followed a 149 against Yorkshire the week before. He hasn't really done it in a 1 day game yet but that can only be around the corner with the form he's in. He's made 44 and 16 in the Pro40 but looked good in the 44 against Northants. He opens the innings so he has first chance on everybody else and for a guy in good touch, 6/1 is a nice price for an ew punt.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 2 games on Sunday. Lancashire vs Notts and Northants vs Warks. It's the relegation game I'm going to concentrate on. 10pts Warwickshire to beat Northants Evs Boylesports The bottom two in the Division 1 table go head to head at Wantage Rd on Sunday and the losers of this match really will be in trouble. Neither side have been in good form recently in any competition so it could be nervy and tense in Northampton. Northants captain David Sales went lame moments before the Steelbacks' game with Sussex on Friday night and it's unlikely he'll have recovered in time for this one. Stephen Peters will lead the side in Jumble's absence. One thing I can't understand and I'm sure it's a reason why Northants come into this game bottom, is their batting lineup. On Friday, Klusener batted at 7 which is basically suicide. Northants have no real bowling attack to speak of either which makes the batting lineup look even worse. Warwickshire have signed Derbyshire's Ant Botha who is eligible to play in this game. He'll go straight into the side and should bolster both the batting lineup and bowling attack. Other than that I would imagine the Bears will field the same side which narrowly lost to Lancashire on Saturday. Neil Carter looked in good form and if he plays and tees off Warwickshire will be in a good position. With Botha and Loudon, the Bears have a good spin duo which is vital at Northampton. Warwickshire will escape the relegation zone with a win here and with the personnel in their lineup they should win. They pushed Lancashire all the way and were unlucky to be edged out but they can make up for it here. Warwickshire for me.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Middlebrook is more likely to bat 3 than Bichel I'd have though but both are value.

Essex1.611.661.751.721.661.661.661.661.661.71.721.721.661.771.65
Gloucestershire2.22.12.2322.12.12.12.12.12.2222.12.262.2
bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">
3 for tonight. 10pts Essex to beat Gloucestershire 8/11 Betfred 7th meets 8th at Chelmsford in this day/night Pro40 Division 1 clash. The reward for the winners tonight will be escaping the relegation zone and moving into 6th place. Essex will have just 1 match left after tonight so if they are to stay up it's imperative they win this one. Gloucestershire have a bit more leeway but a win would be very helpful. Essex were rightly known as the 40 over kings having won this title for the last 2 seasons but with Ronnie Irani and Andy Flower retiring and Darren Gough going back to Yorkshire the backbone of their side has been wiped out. Young skipper Mark Pettini has done a fairly good job in his 1st season but injuries and England callup's haven't helped. Indeed it's England callup's denying him of Ali Cook and Ravi Bopara this evening. However Andy Bichel, Danish Kaneria and James Foster, Essex's 3 main men, all play. Gloucestershire will be without their captain Jon Lewis who is also with England. Their recent form in this competition sicen throwing the Twenty20 final away has been bad. They were beaten out of sight at Nottingham last time out and failed to defend almost 270 at Sussex the time before that. Craig Spearman and Hamish Marshall will be relied upon to score lots of runs because the Gladiators bowling attack without Lewis has a cannon fodder look about it. Essex aren't the side they were but they should have too much for Gloucestershire at Chelmsford where the crowd really get involved and where Essex have a good record. Essex win for me. 10pts Essex Most 6s 23/20 Bet365 I'm not quite sure how Essex are the outsiders in this market because pretty much every batsman in their side has the capability of hitting a big cricket ball. Even Napier and Kaneria, expected to bat 10 and 11 can comfortably clear the ropes. Gloucestershire themselves have some big hitters but nothing like the Essex guys who playing on their own wicket should clear the ropes more times than the opposition. 5pts ew R.ten Doeschate Top Essex Bat 6/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Ryan ten Doeschate is a very aggressive batsman who can take attacks apart especially here at Chelmsford where the boundaries are nowhere near big enough for him. He wasn't in particularly good form coming into this game despite a few cameos but that all changed with his century against Derbyshire in the Championship last week. The Dutchman top scored in the second innings of the Championship match with Gloucester too so he must like the attack and I think he'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the Essex innings tonight.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Poor night tonight but was nearly so different with ten Doeschate looking good for top scorer after running out his main danger then he top edged a sweep. He placed but the others lost so -17.50 for the night and now +0.42 for the competition. Kent vs Surrey tomorrow. Will be back with any bets before the off.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 hi Kev, I wonder what you (and others) think of this one for tomorrow? Surrey's tactics in one dayers are quite simple, go out an blast away from ball 1. They don't mind losing early wickets so long as they are goign along quickly. James Benning is an explosive batsman if he gets going and Scot newman comes off a 33 ball 62 recently. Kent are no slouches at the top of the order either but the likes of Key and Denly will probably look to play a big innings which might not necessarily be Surrey's priority. I'm thinking of taking Surrey to be ahead after 15 with 5/6 the general price.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 2hcb, was just looking at that very same bet. Bet 365 have it 8/13 Surrey, 6/5 Kent for the highest first 15 overs and I think they have set the price about right. 5/6 the pair does seem a bit of a cop-out from the odds compilers as you say, Benning and Newman give it some welly at the top. I suppose the danger is if Ramprakash comes in and takes his time early on, while Surreys opening bowlers are not always on the spot early doors. All in all though, 5/6 does seem on the generous side and I have had a few quid on it.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 yeah i noticed Bet365 had broken from the pack there aswell. Ramprakash is till actually quite an agressive batsman these days. The only problem is if Surrey make a big score batting 1st then Kent will go hammer and tongs and a bowling attack that can go around the park. Nonetheless I don't think the price should be 5/6 so I will have a bet.

yeah i noticed Bet365 had broken from the pack there aswell. Ramprakash is till actually quite an agressive batsman these days. The only problem is if Surrey make a big score batting 1st then Kent will go hammer and tongs and a bowling attack that can go around the park. Nonetheless I don't think the price should be 5/6 so I will have a bet.
It looked good but team news has put me right off. No Nicholson and Dernbach likely to play makes me swerve that. Just the two for me tonight. 10pts Kent to beat Surrey Evs Bet Direct In a tightly packed Division 2 of Pro40 this is a big game in the promotion push. The losers tonight can pretty much kiss goodbye to going up, certainly automatically. Kent in 6th place play Surrey in 4th with the winners likely to go into 3rd with Durham looking good things to beat Derbyshire earlier in the day. The top 2 go up from this division and the winners tonight will go within 2pts of Durham at the top assuming they complete victory at Derby. Kent no longer have the services of Lasith Malinga but they do still have Yasir Arafat and Ryan McLaren - 2 of their stars on finals day. Darren Stevens is likely to bowl a full allocation which on this Canterbury wicket could be more effective. James Tredwell will be key. Speaking of key, Kent's captain Rob Key has been in fine form all summer and he'll look to get his side off to a good start alongside hot prospect Joe Denly. With van Jaarsveld and Stevens to come, Kent look strong in the batting. Surrey will be without Mark Ramprakash this evening as he recovers from flu. They have also chosen to rest Matt Nicholson and Harbhajan Singh whilst Chris Schofield plays his last game of the season for the Brown Caps. Mark Butcher is back to skipper the side after resting for the Glamorgan game last time out. Jade Dernbach and Neil Saker come into the bowling attack. With the bat, Scott Newman has scored 250 runs in Pro40 at an average of 50 and it will be up to him to get the innings going along with James Benning. Kent went to The Oval and beat Surrey's 1st team in the last group game of the Twenty20 to send Surrey packing and claim their quarter final spot which they took full advantage of by winning the tournament. They have developed into a good one day side and with Surrey's more illustrious stars ill or being rested they can't be outsiders to win tonight. Evens is perfectly good value and we'll take that. 5pts ew S.Newman Top Surrey Bat 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Scott Newman wasn't really known for big hitting and power but he's found a new lease of life in this competition. He's hit 250 runs in Pro40 at an average of 50. Those runs have come at quicker than a run a ball and he could well play an innings similar to Alex Gidman last night. Newman has only been out of the top 3 once in 5 matches for Surrey in this competition, top scoring on 3 occasions and is clearly the form batsman. There's no Mark Ramprakash to worry about and Kent's better bowlers don't tend to be the new ball bowlers so everything could be perfect for another explosive Newman knock and at 9/2 he's well worth full ew support.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Twas a good night all round. Well done chaps. I thought I was going to pinch the Kent win at 1 stage too but not to be. Newman top scoring gave me an 18.12 profit for the day which makes me +18.54 for the competition which returns on Friday with Glamorgan vs Kent.

Twas a good night all round. Well done chaps. I thought I was going to pinch the Kent win at 1 stage too but not to be. Newman top scoring gave me an 18.12 profit for the day which makes me +18.54 for the competition which returns on Friday with Glamorgan vs Kent.
oh please, why the hell are Glamorgan being shown again?? Just to crank up the humiliation even further I supose.

oh please' date=' why the hell are Glamorgan being shown again?? Just to crank up the humiliation even further I supose.[/quote'] I would imagine it's because when the people who decide which games are live decided which games were live, they may have thought Kent would be getting promoted in this game given their Twenty20 success.

the commentators were reckoning that Kent haven't really let go of their T20 win yet and it's costing them in other comps. I'm sure they'd take that at the start of the season though.
It seems to be a normal trend really. All 4 sides to win Twenty20 before Kent were going along nicely and then their season just fell away. It's the greatest day of the county season though and the highs of winning it probably can't be matched again all season so I guess it's fairly understandable.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Surely you should get paid double the odds or something when your top batsman choice scores 92 and the rest of the team combined manage 57 off the bat! Excellent tip again Kev. Looking forward to some Glamorgan lower-order top bat value on Friday.

Glamorgan3.252.753.2332.873.25333.52.873.253.253.33.23.25
Kent1.331.41.391.331.361.361.331.331.361.331.361.331.331.41.421.25
Kent will win this but you won't get rich backing them and I'm in no hurry to take a big handicap at Sportingbet either. I will go with 3 though. 10pts Kent -8.5 Runs Highest 1st 15 Overs 10/11 Sportingbet Kent don't go with what you would describe as hitters up front but they have some very good batsmen who as they showed in the Twenty20, can score quickly. Joe Denly and Rob Key play normal shots as does van Jaarsveld but they all find the gaps in the field well. Glamorgan are all over the shop really and their recent pitch hitter Alex Wharf misses this game with injury. Glamorgan can often be 5 down through 15 overs which will always stifle their run rate early doors. Glamorgan have no James Harris or Alex Wharf so they could go round the park early doors while Saggers and Cook can be tight for Kent and I expect them to be well ahead after 15 overs. 5pts ew R.Croft Top Glamorgan Batsman 8/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Alex Wharf doesn't play for Glamorgan today so Robert Croft could be lifted up the order to give their innings a boost to begin with. He's opened for most of the season for the Dragons so it would be no surprise were this to happen. However even if he doesn't open he's a competant enough batsman to top score down the order. He's unlikely too have much to beat such is the ineptitude of the Glamorgan batting lineup and given Croftie could be elevated up the order he looks decent value to top score for the Dragons. 5pts ew R.Key Top Kent Batsman 4/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Rob Key is having a superb one day season with the bat. He's already made 72, 104 and 63 in Pro40 to add to a plethora of half centuries in the Twenty20 competition which included a superb innings in the semi final. Being captain has matured Rob Key as a batsman and he has learned how to score runs in one day cricket. He generally doesn't take many risks but finds gaps well and with Glamorgan's best bowlers at Sophia Gardens likely to be Croft and Cosker in the middle of the innings, the fact he opens boosts his top scoring chances. Key's in real good form this season and he shouldn't be 4/1 with ew terms of 1/4 the odds so we'll take advantage and back the Kent skipper to top score.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 unlucky with crofty, couldnt get on strike for the last over after hittin tredwell for three 6's I do not understand the boys on betfair. Glamorgan at about 2-1 before the game, they have just got the highest score they have got all season in 40 overs (barring last week at the oval with the 40 yard boundaries) and they have drifted to 8-1. Not that I think they will win, but that is a decent score at cardiff, Im not sure what people who backed them at 2-1 expected them to do better than that, we all know we are shite.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Excellent night for me tonight. Key top scored for Kent with a ton which meant Kent were well ahead after 15 overs. Very nearly landed the 8/1 on Croft too but he couldn't get the strike in the final over. He came 2nd though so +25 for Key, +9.1 for Kent 15 overs and +5 for Croft means +39.1 for the night and now +57.64 for the competition. Pro40 continues on Sunday with Hampshire vs Gloucestershire on TV and Worcestershire vs Northants which isn't televised.