** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 4 matches on Sunday. I'm sticking to two of them, Hampshire vs Gloucestershire which is the TV game and Kent vs Yorkshire. TV game 1st. 10pts Under 6 6s 11/8 Sporting Bet All year long I've been emphasising the lackof 6s that are hit at the Rose Bowl but still we get lines of 6 6s here. What makes it even stranger here is Hampshire's best 6 hitter - Dimitri Mascarenhas will be on board a plane to South Africa when this match starts. Gloucestershire have a few 6 hitters in their midst in the form of Craig Spearman, Hamish Marshall and Alex Gidman while Michael Lumb hits big for Hants but this is a very big ground, the boundaries here are probably only rivalled at the Riverside and for us to get 6 6s is unlikely so once again this season I'm taking the unders. 10pts M.Lumb Top Hampshire Batsman 4/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Just like they did with Robert Key the other night, Boyles have made a huge mistake pricing Michael Lumb up at 4/1 with each way terms of 1/4 the odds. Quite simply Michael Lumb has been Hampshire's best batsmen by far in this competition and there's no reason at all why that should change here. The South African born left hander has hit 62, 53, 108, 22 and 82 in the Pro40 this season so that illustrates the sort of form he's in. For a guy with 4 half centuries to his name in 5 innings to be 4/1 is plain silly and hopefully we can take advantage here with Lumb top scoring for the Hawks again. And now the non-TV game 10pts Kent to beat Yorkshire 5/6 Boylesports Kent came back to winning ways on Friday night with a solid and easy victory over Glamorgan and that result got their promotion hopes back alive. This is their last Pro40 game of the season though so they know they have to win and hope results go their way in order to be promoted. Yorkshire have 2 matches left and they too know that two wins sees them right in the mix to be promoted. Kent are likely to field the same side which beat Glamorgan so convincingly. There are no seamers back so young Alex Blake should retain his place. Rob Key comes into this match off the back of an excellent century at Sophia Gardens and will be full of confidence. Darren Stevens, Martin van Jaarsveld and Matt Walker have all contributed with the bat too and Martin Saggers is bowling very well currently. Yorkshire's season seems to be taking a nose dive. They relied on Jason Gillespie in the early part of Pro40 to restrict sides but now that he's gone home their attack has a bit of cannon fodder around it and Inzamam was a great high profile signing but he's barely scored a run so far. Jacques Rudolph and Anthony McGrath are in good form but whether the latter is fully fit remains to be seen after he fainted in the outfield in midweek. With the ball, Yorkshire will really hope Darren Gough is fit to play otherwise they will rely on Tim Bresnan and probably Matthew Hoggard, both of whom can go round the park. Kent simply have to win, they've had a good season in all one day competitions and deserve to be promoted here. Home advantage could be key and with Yorkshire stuttering and suffering a few injuries I think the Spitfires will fly high here.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Excellent night for me tonight. Key top scored for Kent with a ton which meant Kent were well ahead after 15 overs. Very nearly landed the 8/1 on Croft too but he couldn't get the strike in the final over. He came 2nd though so +25 for Key, +9.1 for Kent 15 overs and +5 for Croft means +39.1 for the night and now +57.64 for the competition. Pro40 continues on Sunday with Hampshire vs Gloucestershire on TV and Worcestershire vs Northants which isn't televised.
Outstanding result that game for you Kev, great work.:clap Unlucky with Crofty, he tried his best for you!

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 There was never going to be 6 sixes in the TV match in a million years so that bet was never in doubt. Lumb didn't do the business for us though so +3.7 for the TV game. Yorkshire looked good with Inzamam smacking 6s for fun, they needed 66 off 66 when he got out and lost by 13 run so +8.3 there which equates to +12 for the day and means the total now for Pro40 is +69.64. Lords hosts it's 1st ever floodlit game tomorrow and it's on sky. I'll look for some bets and will post any thoughts during the NFL.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Ok, Monday's game. Not an easy one to find bets for really. Looks like a distinct gulf in the sides though. 2 for me. 10pts Middlesex -3.5wickets/17.5runs 10/11 Sportingbet Middlesex and Derbyshire are worlds apart really. Derbyshire are in complete disarray at the minute. Simon Katich has said he isn't coming back next season, Ant Botha has already left for Warwickshire and even 17 year old Gary Ballance has decided to take a scholarship at Yorkshire. Middlesex will be without South Africa bound Chaminda Vaas and Owais Shah but still have the personnel to take care of Derbyshire. Ed Smith has been in good nick with the bat as has Ed Joyce and with Andrew Strauss free to play here the Crusaders will be hoping he can chip in with some runs. With the ball, Tim Murtagh is a good one day bowler and Murali Kartik is an excellent spinner who has bowled well all season. Jamie Dalrymple will look to score some runs in front of the camera and catch the England selectors eye. For Derbyshire, Greg Smith and Travis Birt hold the key to their chances. Tom Lungley has been superb with the ball all season but getting runs hasn't been Derby's strong point. If Birt, Smith and Weston can score some runs they'll be in the game but with you many young bowlers in the side even if they do score runs a victory is far from a certainty. Derbyshire have been beaten out of sight in most of their matches in this Pro40 and I see no reason at all why Middlesex on their home patch won't do the same. This is a fairly big handicap but in truth it could be bigger and I'll take the Crusaders to win with a bit to spare. 5pts ew P.Weston Top Derbyshire Bat 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Phil Weston has hit two half centuries in his 2 innings in the Pro40 this season. He's not a great cricketer or even a particularly great one day batsmen but he bats within his capabilities and often accumulates runs. He won't be dashing at over a run a ball or anything like that but while the potential carnage takes place at the other end he'll go about scoring runs and should be up there when all is said and done at the end of the Phantoms innings.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Good old Willie Weston. I am not sure if he would have got to 50 if he had batted the whole innings! I am not being an after-time by the way, the logic in picking him was sound, he has scratched around for a couple of 1-day 50s and it is the first (and last) time Dighton has managed to do anything.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Ok despite the Twenty20 World Cup starting today, Sky are also showing Surrey vs Somerset in the Pro40. 3 for me. 10pts Somerset to beat Surrey 10/11 Boylesports This is another big game in the race for promotion from Division 2. Somerset know that a win here sees them guaranteed promotion while Surrey know that if they win they join Durham and Kent on 10pts ahead of their trip to Grace Rd to play Leicestershire on Saturday. These two met in the FP Trophy group stage and Somerset won by 3 wickets. Surrey have named a full strength squad which means that Mark Ramprakash returns to the starting lineup. Matt Nicholson also comes into the side which played Kent last week. Harbhajan Singh and Chris Schofield are both in South Africa for the world cup though so Surrey have signed a club cricketer Murtaza Hussain to provide them with a spin option. This star studded batting lineup will have their work cut out here but if it fires Surrey will be dangerous. Somerset also have no injury problems and having won the Championship already are sure to play their strongest side here to try and assure a double promotion. That means 38 year old Andrew Caddick, who could be perfectly suited to this Oval wicket will partner CHarl Willoughby with the new ball. With the bat, Trescothick, Langer and McKenzie are all big players and youngsters Hildreth and Kieswetter can be dangerous. This is sure to be a high scoring game but Somerset look just the better side to me. Surrey come into this in good form but I have doubts over whether their youngsters with the ball can contain this powerhouse Somerset batting lineup on what will be a good deck. Sabres for me. 10pts Over 7 6s 4/3 Sportingbet This pitch is going to be an absolute belter as it always is at The Oval and with short straight boundaries at the ground now thanks to the relatively new OCS stand, I can see a few 6s being hit. Dimitri Mascarenhas showed everyone how to do it in the ODI here last week and the likes of Langer, Trescothick, McKenzie, Brown, Beening and Ramprakash will all look to hit big early in their sides innings and we will see plenty of 6s. There's enough spin options on show to give us a few 6s and when the slog is on at the end of the innings both sides have big hitters capable of clearing the ropes. I'm confident we'll see at least 8 sixes. 5pts ew C.Kieswetter Top Somerset Batsman 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Craig Kieswetter has made a real name for himself with the bat at Taunton this year, so much so that captain Langer now opens with him instead of himself in this competition. He's a hard hitting young batsman as many wicket keepers are and having been brought up in South Africa and playig his cricket at Taunton he won't be phased by this fast, bouncy Oval pitch. He comes into this match in good nick as well having got a good 93 in the Championship match with Glamorgan a week ago and also a solid 44 in the Pro40 game with Leicestershire. There's a lot of big names in this Sabres lineup but it may just be that the slightly less attacking Kieswetter can outscore them all having 1st use of the pitch.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Nearly a good night but despite lots of 4s falling just short of the ropes there was only 7 6s and Kieswetter got a jaffa 1st ball from Dernbach who is beginning to annoy me. -10.9pts for the night which is better than it looked at one stage and now +57.84 for the tournament.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Sounded like a cracking game at the Oval, unlucky with Kieswetter but he looks one for the future no doubting that. Absoulutely delighted to see Tres smash home a superb ton to cement for me his standing as one of the best One Day players in the country. Been a very tidy season from Somerset and hopes must be high for next season if they can address the bowling department.

Gloucestershire2.222.082.222.222.22.22.22.11.832.12.12.062.26
Worcestershire1.611.721.781.611.721.611.721.611.611.611.751.831.661.81.851.61
Just one for me. Game is on Sky. 10pts Gloucestershire to beat Worcestershire 6/5 Blue Square As they've all been recently it seems, this is another big Pro40 game and it's one where the division 1 champions could be crowned. If Worcester avoid defeat here they are the Pro40 champions. A defeat though and they'll have to go into the last day needing a point. Gloucestershire also need the points. They're on the edge of the relegation/playoff zone and a loss here in their final match could be disastrous. A win though guarantees safety. I'd expect Gloucestershire to go in with the same 11 which came close against Hampshire on Sunday. They looked like winner for 3/4 of the run chase but Warnie weaved his magic again. With the bat, Ali, Marshall, Spearman and Gidman have all made runs recently and the presence of skipper Jon Lewis always helps the bowling attack. Worcestershire will be without Vikram Solanki and Phil Jaques. Solanki is with England while Jaques is with NSW. Gareth Batty captains the side while Steven Davies and Moeen Ali will open the innings. Moeen hit a 46 ball 100 against Northampton on Sunday but such fireworks won't be seen tonight. Kabir Ali's been on fire with the ball in this tournament and Nadeem Malik ripped Northants' top order out on Sunday so they are bowling well. Gloucestershire beat Worcestershire in Bristol twice during the Twenty20 and are going for the hat trick here. Their batsmen are in good form and with the Royals missing their 2 best batsmen and with the title pressure on their shoulders I'm going to take the Gladiators to edge a close game.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Roll up roll up for the Glamorgan Dragons travelling circus. Come and see Robert Croft top score at a highly generous 11/1 with Bet 365. The worlds worst overseas batsman has sadly left to entertain the convicts of Australia, but the void he has left increases the chances of old Crofty getting a crack at the top of the order after his heroics at Kent.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 I have no doubt Kev will be on here shortly highlighting the value yet again at Boylesports with their generous each-way terms. If this was a horse-race, it would have 'careful each-way' written all over it. There should be no more than 4 or 5 runners even getting a bat for Durham if the game is as one-sided as all the form suggests. Colonel Mustard is an absolutely outstanding each-way bet to nothing at 4's. Unless he has a rare failure at the top of the order he must finish in the top 3, especially if Glamorgan bat first and are skittled. And I would not put anyone off Kyle Coetzer each-way. He will bat at 3, so should get to the crease and again has a very high chance of placing.

Saturday 15 September 2007
HomeAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Durham v Glamorgan (12:15 BST)1.205.20103%
Leicestershire v Surrey (12:45 BST)2.621.61100%
Somerset v Middlesex (12:45 BST)1.502.94101%
Yorkshire v Derbyshire (12:45 BST)1.443.00103%
Think the favourites will all win here. Leicestershire being the only ones who could spring a surprise. I'll have a top bat which Boyles have all wrong in the TV game though. 5pts ew P.Mustard Top Durham Bat 4/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Durham's best one day batsman all season long has been Phil Mustard and there's absolutely no way odds of 4/1 on him top scoring can be justified. He's played well on TV and away from it and can't be far away from an England place, certainly while the useless Matt Prior continues to mess about. Mustard is having a great Pro40 with runs of 49, 63, 84, 78 and 66 in the competition so far and in the form he's in I certainly can't see him being out of the top 3. He's top scored on all 5 of those occasions I've mentioned previously and can bring the 6 timer up here by bashing an awful Glamorgan attack round the Riverside and wrap up the title for his team in the process.

In the first Division' date=' I like the look of [b']Nottinghamshire. I have liked the look of them in both the 20 20 and the Championship Div 2 and in both they have and are prospering. They will not be too affected by 20 20 call ups as many of their players have been overlooked which is possibly suprising. They have a strong looking batting line up with big hitters a plenty and plenty of strength in depth with the likes of Read, Swann and Ealham down the order although they could be moved up. Bowling is more of a problem especially without Sidebottom but on their batting strength alone I am prepared to take a chance. Div 2 and I think my own team Middlesex are overpriced and are a nice looking e.w. price. Despite relegation, this is the format that we normally perform best at. When it was 45 overs we got promoted with a similar team and could well do so again. Shah will be missing later on but Joyce, Strauss, Dalrymple will not be and along with Smith, Compton etc. that is a strong batting line up . The bowling is stronger than it was in previous seasons and even if Vass and Kartik could be missing, 12/1 is a nice price.
Seems a while ago I put this up but Middlesex managed to win today and nick third for a small e.w return.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Continuing to lose profit this week but hopefully that will change with the last day of the regular season of Pro40. +37.84 for the competition going into the game.

Sunday 16 September 2007
HomeAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Lancashire v Hampshire (12:15 BST)1.832.10103%
Northamptonshire v Essex (12:15 BST)1.852.20100%
Sussex v Nottinghamshire (12:15 BST)2.101.92100%
Warwickshire v Worcestershire (12:15 BST)2.401.66102%
Northants vs Essex is the TV game. The only other game I like the look of is Sussex but I'm already on them at 13/8 on an outright so I'll just focus on the TV game. I would've backed Worcester but that's a nothing game now so they could be on their holidays really so I'll leave that. 3 for me in the TV game. 10pts Northants to beat Essex 5/6 Blue Square It's winner takes all in this game, or rather loser gets absolutely nothing. That's because the loser of this Pro40 match will be relegated to Division 2 for next season. A Northants win sees them safe while an Essex win will put them into next week's playoff. Northants will have their England star Monty Panesar available for this match. The match could be skipper David Sales' last game for the club and he'll want to keep the side in the division before he goes. Nicky Boje and Lance Klusener both play but Usman Afzaal has been released. Northants have won their last 2 at home in this league and will hope to make it a hat trick here. Essex are without their 2 overseas players Danish Kaneria and Andy Bichel. Both are getting ready for their winter schedule with Pakistan and Queensland. Alistair Cook does play though before heading off to Sri Lanka for England's ODI series there at the start of next month. It's been a tough season for the Eagles who will hope their young side can muscle 1 good performance to get them into the playoff. This is sure to be a tense affair but Northants have a lot of experienced players in their side and that could be key. They also have home advantage and I think they'll win this one and keep themselves up. 10pts Northants Most 6s 10/11 Bet365 Northants have plenty of big hitters in their side. Rob White, David Sales, Riki Wessels and Lance Klusener all hit a huge cricket ball and they should look to target this young Essex bowling attack. If the new ball bowlers are slightly out they could go, especially to the bowling green end of Wantage Rd. Essex are without many of their big hitters for various reasons although Foster and ten Doeschate are dangerous. Northants though have the better side and I think they'll hit more 6s. 5pts ew D.Sales Top Northants Batsman 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) David Sales has been in good form at Wantage Rd recently, particularly in this competition. He's led his side to victories over Hampshire and Warwickshire thanks to knocks of 92 and 58. He comes here in good form and has profitted again Essex before. He plays spin well which is the key and I expect a solid effort from him again here. It's potentially Jumble's last 1 day game for the side today and I'm sure he'll want to go out with a bang and I take him to top the Steelbacks runscorers today.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 What a bunch of bottlejobs :@:@. Northants needed 1 off 3 balls to win. Cue dot dot and wicket :wall:wall:wall. Stake back there but Northants won 2-0 on 6s and Sales top scored so +37.22 for the game and +75.06 for the competition. We now know the playoff for promotion/relegation will be Middlesex vs Northants next week at Southgate I believe.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 The final match of the county cricket season is upon us :sad. Northants vs Middlesex in a winner takes all clash at Southgate. Normally the playoff suits the 2nd division side but I've just got a feeling it might not be the case here.

Middlesex1.611.591.571.531.611.571.571.571.61.571.611.611.571.611.61.621.58
Northamptonshire2.22.52.252.372.252.252.252.252.372.252.22.22.252.22.552.322.2
2 for me. 10pts Northants to win Playoff 11/8 Sportingbet So here we are. The winner takes all promotion/relegation playoff. The winners will play next season's Pro40 in division 1 while the losers will be in division 2. How Northants are in this playoff I'll never know as they only needed 1 run off 3 balls in their final match with Essex to stay up by right. Middlesex beat Somerset last week to claim their place in the playoff. Southgate hosts the all important match. Middlesex are likely to stick with the side which won at Somerset last week. Tim Murtagh has been superb with the ball in this competition as has Murali Kartik and the Crusaders will hope there's one more match left in them. Ed Joyce has been in excellent form with the bat for the hosts. For Northants it's been a tough competition. I don't think they help themselves with their batting lineup but that's the way they've done it. It's vital if they are to stay up that Boje, Sales and Klusener score good runs. With the ball Monty is playing and he and Brown, the spin twins, will be vital as the seam attack, Klusener aside can go round the park. Nicky Boje brings another very good spin option. It'll be a close game on a smallish Southgate ground but traditionally Northants are a fairly good 40 over side. Middlesex have a lot of youngsters in their side who will be playing their biggest match which could be key and I think Northants will just edge it and retain their division 1 status. 5pts ew L.Klusener Top Northants Batsman 5/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Lance Klusener will be key for Northants here. I'd be staggered if in such a huge match he bats lower than number 5. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll open up for Northants either. He comes here in excellent form having smacked 86 off 65 balls in the Championship draw with Derbyshire yesterday and on a smallish ground, Klusener should go well and could well outscore the rest of his side.

No joy on the playoffs so -20 there and -12 for the outrights so +43.06 for the Pro40 which means in total' date=' a profit of 213.96pts for the entire county season.[/quote'] Well done for your hard work all season and to be in profit and good profit at that for the season :clap

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Excellent Kev. Haven't ventured in here for too long, and keep to the ATR forum now as I dont have access to the internet at home at the moment, and Im back in Worcester this weekend so thought I'd venture into the other forums! Good work on the cricket though :clap. Pleased we won the Pro40 in the end but our CC form has been awful! Bring on next season!

Excellent Kev. Haven't ventured in here for too long, and keep to the ATR forum now as I dont have access to the internet at home at the moment, and Im back in Worcester this weekend so thought I'd venture into the other forums! Good work on the cricket though :clap. Pleased we won the Pro40 in the end but our CC form has been awful! Bring on next season!
Cheers matey. I wouldn't worry too much about your CC form, you pretty much gave that competition up at the beginning of August after the washouts and concentrated on the Pro40. Assuming you get Zaheer back next season you should come back up :ok