** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Yep. Off due to an unsafe pitch. There's a live game tomorrow which is Notts vs Essex. Off to the Luton game shortly so will sort out bets for this when I get home or tomorrow afternoon depending on if tonight's game goes to extra time and penalties or not.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Ok tonight's Pro40. 10pts Essex to beat Nottinghamshire 4/3 Sporting Odds Essex have made an awful start to the Pro40 season while in contrast Notts are going ok but I fancy the Eagles to bounce back here. They are getting their players back slowly and when at full strength they have enough options to win games. Notts in contrast have serious bowling difficulties and have had to loan Mark Davies from Durham to cover. He'll be a bit rusty though and although Notts have the stronger batting lineup, Essex have lots of bowling options to counter that. Essex were the kings of 40 over cricket over the last 2 years and it's dangerous to completely write them off just yet. Bichel's in good form and Ravi Bopara can win matches on his own. These are 2 evenish sides but I think Essex can sneak a win. 10pts Essex Most 6s 13/10 Bet365 Notts have a couple of big hitters in their midst but Essex are jam packed full of them. James Foster, Ryan ten Doeschate, Graham Napier, Ravi Bopara, they can all clear the ropes with ease. For Notts you are looking at pretty much Swann, Patel, Hussey and Read who clear the ropes but they often score boundaries on the deck. Notts have a weak bowling attack though and they might just throw down enough pies for the Essex men to get under and feast on. 5pts D.Hussey Top Notts Batsman 9/2 Sporting Odds David Hussey has been in superb form for Notts this summer and this is his last game of the season for the Outlaws. He'll want to go out with a bang. He top scored in front of the sky cameras 2 weeks ago when Sky were at the Rose Bowl and I think he'll do the same again tonight. He's a superb player of spin which will help him as he'll be facing plenty of that and then if he's there at the death Trent Bridge isn't nearly big enough for him. Huss is a solid one day batsman who can come up the order in a rain affected game and at 9/2 he's well worth taking to top score for Notts. 5pts ew R.Bopara Top Essex Batsman 4/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Ravi Bopara is in the England squad for next week's ODI's with India and he'll want to go into those with a decent knock here. At his best, Bopara is class as he showed on a couple of occasions in the World Cup. He hasn't really hit that big score in 1 day cricket for Essex this summer but on a pitch that will suit him well against a weakish bowling attack it could just be a matter of time before that comes. 4/1 is a nice price, helped by Boylesports thinking that Alistair Cook plays tonight but he doesn't which would give Bopara every chance of top scoring batting at number 3. At 4/1 he looks an ew bet to nothing.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 3 games on Sunday and there's 1 I really like. Begins at 1.45. 10pts Leicestershire to beat Yorkshire 11/10 Boylesports 5th plays 4th in this Pro40 clash at Grace Road. These 2 have already played in one day cricket twice this year with Leicestershire winning on both occasions, at Grace Road in the Twenty20 and at Headingley Carnegie in the Friends Provident. The winners of this match will join Kent on 6pts at the top of the table. Leicestershire will be without Stuart Broad who teams up with England ahead of the ODI series. Apart from that however they are at full strength. That's not a huge blow as the Foxes beat Yorkshire in the FP Trophy without Broad. Jerome Taylor slots in as overseas player and Claude Henderson looks set to be recalled. Paul Nixon and Jeremy Snape both play after being with the England Lions yesterday. As ever, HD Ackerman will be key to the Foxes. Yorkshire are at full strength going into this game but they are becoming bottlejobs at an alarming rate. They nearly threw their game with Middlesex away and then lost to Worcester in the Championship last week. Darren Gough will hope that Jacques Rudolph and Younus Khan score some runs but Anthony McGrath is in good form too as are Craig White and Gerard Brophy. With the ball, David Wainwright looks good but the Phoenix seamers can go round the park. Leicestershire have looked a decent one day side all summer and at Grace Road they are always hard to beat. Yorkshire should be a good one day side but so far in Pro40 they've not looked convincing. The Foxes have played an extra game than the Phoenix so a win is more important for them and I think with home advantage they'll get the win they need to really kickstart their promotion push.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Hope I am not treading on anyone's toes here. But there is a decent value each way bet in the Glamorgan vs Yorkshire game, it's Ryan Watkins to be Glamorgan top scorer at 12/1 at Boyle Sports. Or 14/1 at Extrabet you are feeling brave on the nose. Now Glamorgan are so bad, if they were a dog they would be put down. Their batting is truely terrible, so with the likes of Gough and Gillespie around, it's not impossible they could be 50 for 5 at some stage. Watkins is your typical Welshman - fat and vastly tattooed but the little left hander can hit a cricket ball hard and in a dire side against opposition with a decent seam attack ( and Tim Bresnan), could be a reasonable punt ( not one to throw the kitchen sink at to be honest). The only downside is Glamorgan's batting could fire ( unlikely unless someone has a match and a can of petrol handy), as Watkins is likely to bat about number seven. Mark Wallace, the stumper, is another decent alternative ( 8/1 Boyle Sports). Or if you are a coward like me back them both and swear loudly as Jimmy Maher hits a season best of three, as Glamorgan are bowled out for 7:@. Good luck, everyone!

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 wouldn't disagree with you there, Watkins top scored with a massive 35* in Glamorgan's last outing. The danger is with him batting at 7/8 then if it's a rain reduced game he most likely won't get in and if a batting order is due a score it's Glamorgan's! Good value on both Watkins and Wallace though I agree.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007

Glamorgan2.752.622.642.622.622.622.752.622.622.52.622.52.622.822.86
Yorkshire1.41.441.491.441.441.441.41.441.441.51.441.51.441.41.36
bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">
3 for me. Totally agree with your views Paul mate, can't help but feel you've missed one though. I'll take a top bat and between we'll have their 3 batsmen covered :lol. 10pts Yorkshire to beat Glamorgan 8/15 Boylesports A bit of a mismatch here with Glamorgan, bottom of division 2 playing Yorkshire who are 2nd in the division and know a win will send them top of the league. Glamorgan have played 3 matches, have had 1 rained off and never really looked like winning the other 2. Yorkshire have played 4 matches, winning 3 and having 1 rained off at Leicester yesterday. Glamorgan have Simon Jones and James Harris in their squad but it's not really their bowling that's the problem, it's their batting. In short it's awful. Jimmy Maher the club's only overseas player has had a wretched season and none of the top order have fired consistently. Youngster Tom Maynard has shown flashes but it will be hard for such a young player in a poor side. Yorkshire are going nicely although they have struggled to chase totals down recently with the bat. But they are winning so I would expect that to ease eventually. With the ball they are very good. Gough and Gillespie opening up are tight and then the medium pacers, Bresnan, Pyrah and McGrath get to work alongside the spinner Wainwright. Jacques Rudolph is in good form with the bat, as is McGrath. Younus Khan plays his last game of the season and Inzamam will be with Yorkshire acclimatising before taking over from Younus on Wednesday. Glamorgan are awful, they've sacrificed their side for an Ashes test and it's shown on the pitch. Yorkshire are determined and going along ok despite a few rough patches. They're a short price but they'll win this. 10pts Yorkshire Highest 1st 15 Overs 8/11 Bet365 Yorkshire score pretty quickly at the top of the innings. Craig White, Jacques Rudolph and Gerard Brophy all play shots and score good runs. As I've eluded to already, the Glamorgan top order are very poor. Grant and Croft will look to get them off to a flier but Maher will slow any run rate down. Gough and Gillespie will be hard to get away and Yorkshire should be ahead when 15 overs are through. 5pts ew A.Wharf Top Glamorgan Bat 10/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) In a poor batting lineup we have to take the man in form and that guy is Alex Wharf. He top scored with 45 in the Championship in midweek and top scored in both innings of the Championship match with Northampton the week before which included a century. Wharf also came 3rd in Glamorgan's last Pro40 match. He'll bat at 7 or 8 which is a bit of a worry but he's unlikely to have much to beat, at least for a place however he has batted at 3 in this competition before for the Dragons and if Yorkshire bat 1st and stick a score on the board that could happen again here so at 10/1 we'll take a chance. He's 5/2 to place and the top 3 is well up for grabs here so he's worth a bet.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 WHARF Still on a high from Lords last 2 days (apologies for mentioning it again Kev!) but can't quite believe the price of Alex Wharf to top score tomorrow. As quite rightly pointed out above, we know the Dragons batting is nearly as bad as the stuff I used to see at the Riverside 10 years ago (Daley, Speak, Roseberry.............. i could go on forever). I just cannot believe Wharf is chalked up at 20s by Stan James. I believe he opened a couple of times in the 50 FP early season. If he does come in at 7, there is a fair chance the pack of cards up the top of the order will have folded. And if it is rain-reduced, surely Glamorgan want their in-form big hitting batsman in early doors to give it a bash. Crofty has not been too successful recently so surely a fair chance of a swap round?

WHARF Still on a high from Lords last 2 days (apologies for mentioning it again Kev!) but can't quite believe the price of Alex Wharf to top score tomorrow. As quite rightly pointed out above, we know the Dragons batting is nearly as bad as the stuff I used to see at the Riverside 10 years ago (Daley, Speak, Roseberry.............. i could go on forever). I just cannot believe Wharf is chalked up at 20s by Stan James. I believe he opened a couple of times in the 50 FP early season. If he does come in at 7, there is a fair chance the pack of cards up the top of the order will have folded. And if it is rain-reduced, surely Glamorgan want their in-form big hitting batsman in early doors to give it a bash. Crofty has not been too successful recently so surely a fair chance of a swap round?
Massive price mate. Certainly think he can bat 3. I always like the fallback of the each way so I've left Stan James' 20/1 alone. And enough about Lords :lol

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Painful as it is, I can't come up with much response to the Glamorgan-bashing on here given the season we've had (as for the fat/tattoo comment, all I can say is my Welshness is in doubt!) The price on Yorkshire is incredibly generous and could only be scuppered, you'd think, by a rain-affected slog out (and even then we were no good at Twenty20). Wharf is a good spot, seems to have patches of good form with the bat rather than season-long consistency and could well get a promotion as we need to try something different. As for Jimmy Maher, it may not be common knowledge that he was paid for by a donation from one of our supporters (as the club couldn't afford 2 overseas players), the guy wouldn't let the club choose their own player it had to be Jimmy Maher! Bet that guy is feeling pleased with himself as Maher has scored a total of 253 runs in 16 first class/one day innings! Will consider bets tomorrow based on weather here in Cardiff. current forecast pretty bad.

Wharf is a good spot, seems to have patches of good form with the bat rather than season-long consistency and could well get a promotion as we need to try something different. As for Jimmy Maher, it may not be common knowledge that he was paid for by a donation from one of our supporters (as the club couldn't afford 2 overseas players), the guy wouldn't let the club choose their own player it had to be Jimmy Maher! Bet that guy is feeling pleased with himself as Maher has scored a total of 253 runs in 16 first class/one day innings! Will consider bets tomorrow based on weather here in Cardiff. current forecast pretty bad.
I did know that. What had they seen? I'm an outsider granted but surely the best overseas player you've had for a while was Matthew Elliott :unsure. Then to have him at the start of the season for them to replace him with Maher seemed stupid at the time and has been vindicated. Don't think rain during playing time is a problem is it? Certainly forecasts I've looked at suggest it will stop about 3.00 but how much will the ground take beforehand is the problem. Wouldn't have thought it could take much having had the 1st 2 days of last week's championship match washed out.

Painful as it is, I can't come up with much response to the Glamorgan-bashing on here given the season we've had (as for the fat/tattoo comment, all I can say is my Welshness is in doubt!) The price on Yorkshire is incredibly generous and could only be scuppered, you'd think, by a rain-affected slog out (and even then we were no good at Twenty20). Wharf is a good spot, seems to have patches of good form with the bat rather than season-long consistency and could well get a promotion as we need to try something different. As for Jimmy Maher, it may not be common knowledge that he was paid for by a donation from one of our supporters (as the club couldn't afford 2 overseas players), the guy wouldn't let the club choose their own player it had to be Jimmy Maher! Bet that guy is feeling pleased with himself as Maher has scored a total of 253 runs in 16 first class/one day innings! Will consider bets tomorrow based on weather here in Cardiff. current forecast pretty bad.
mine too cymro! I'm getting a small bit on Wharf now as a rain reduced match would surely see him go up the order. If it is shortened the price on Yorkshire might become more attractive so I'll wait also before deciding on anything for the outrights but for a standard 40 over math the price on Yorkshire is clearly generous.

I did know that. What had they seen? I'm an outsider granted but surely the best overseas player you've had for a while was Matthew Elliott :unsure. Then to have him at the start of the season for them to replace him with Maher seemed stupid at the time and has been vindicated. Don't think rain during playing time is a problem is it? Certainly forecasts I've looked at suggest it will stop about 3.00 but how much will the ground take beforehand is the problem. Wouldn't have thought it could take much having had the 1st 2 days of last week's championship match washed out.
complete lunacy really isn't it. I though Kasprowicz did very well for Glammy when he was there.

complete lunacy really isn't it. I though Kasprowicz did very well for Glammy when he was there.
Aye he did but at least they recognised it was a batsman you was desperate for. Elliott's a test player. Can't work it out really.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 yep, Glammy pinned all their hopes battingwise on.....Nicky Peng. All I can think is that Maher saved the guy's cat from drowning or something. Still, we've a couple of good youngsters coming through so perhaps in 2/3 years we can be where Durham are now. With the welsh weather as it is I bet that Ashes test is rained off and all.

Maher had a good spell with us a few years back (checking this up reveals it was actually 2001!) and think his popularity with players and fans was the major reason behind the mystery donor's desire to get him back. All very strange. As for the weather funny you should mention the drainage at the ground. I went down on Thursday to catch a bit of the championship match following a day and a half's rain earlier in the week. Despite sunshine the previous afternoon and all morning they didn't inspect until 2 so either someone made a bit of a cock-up or the building work is having some sort of effect on the water table/drainage. Hasn't rained much today though which helps matters.

Maher had a good spell with us a few years back (checking this up reveals it was actually 2001!) and think his popularity with players and fans was the major reason behind the mystery donor's desire to get him back. All very strange. As for the weather funny you should mention the drainage at the ground. I went down on Thursday to catch a bit of the championship match following a day and a half's rain earlier in the week. Despite sunshine the previous afternoon and all morning they didn't inspect until 2 so either someone made a bit of a cock-up or the building work is having some sort of effect on the water table/drainage. Hasn't rained much today though which helps matters.
Aye, but you was more of a force then wasn't you mate. Easier in a good team etc I guess. Didn't really inspire me at Durham last season though. Cosgrove didn't have a bad season last season either did he? You've not been helped by injury either have you. Powell's injury hasn't helped at all. Glad to hear it hasn't rained much. Hopefully the rain you do get in the morning is that fine, annoying stuff. Hopefully we get some play, whether it's 40 overs, 25 overs or even 20 overs :ok

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 In amongst the general consternation about Glamorgans batting, I would not get too over-excited at a lump on Yorkshire at a very short price. They are no more than a modest 1-day team themselves and I am not sure how much priority they are giving getting Pro40. Good start today admittedly, but they did become the first team to lose to Worcs in the CC this week, not even coming close to stopping them chase down 340odd in 2 sessions. 2hcb, I can only apologise for Peng. I saw his sensational debut (98 v Surrey which had Hollioake raving) and he played a few decent 1 day knocks opening but I had little faith in him doing much this year.

Aye, but you was more of a force then wasn't you mate. Easier in a good team etc I guess. Didn't really inspire me at Durham last season though. Cosgrove didn't have a bad season last season either did he? You've not been helped by injury either have you. Powell's injury hasn't helped at all. Glad to hear it hasn't rained much. Hopefully the rain you do get in the morning is that fine, annoying stuff. Hopefully we get some play, whether it's 40 overs, 25 overs or even 20 overs :ok
You're right Kev although we weren't great back then most of our championship side were still there and we managed to do OK in one-day cricket. Cosgrove was great last season, but seems to be getting a bit of stick for his size which is surely not too much of a problem when he bats the way he does. As for injuries, we have been unlucky but our squad is small and inexperienced. Powell is a loss but should be a greater loss given his potential. Weather on the outskirts of Cardiff has been miserable all morning (constant rain), however I hear it's cleared up in town and no more rain is forecast. I'm not confident of there being much cricket after last week but we shall see. Maybe the presence of the TV cameras will lead to more chance of play. Gonna follow the crowd here on the Wharf bet with Boylesports (2pts each way @ 10/1).

Hope I am not treading on anyone's toes here. But there is a decent value each way bet in the Glamorgan vs Yorkshire game, it's Ryan Watkins to be Glamorgan top scorer at 12/1 at Boyle Sports. Or 14/1 at Extrabet you are feeling brave on the nose. Now Glamorgan are so bad, if they were a dog they would be put down. Their batting is truely terrible, so with the likes of Gough and Gillespie around, it's not impossible they could be 50 for 5 at some stage. Watkins is your typical Welshman - fat and vastly tattooed but the little left hander can hit a cricket ball hard and in a dire side against opposition with a decent seam attack ( and Tim Bresnan), could be a reasonable punt ( not one to throw the kitchen sink at to be honest). The only downside is Glamorgan's batting could fire ( unlikely unless someone has a match and a can of petrol handy), as Watkins is likely to bat about number seven. Mark Wallace, the stumper, is another decent alternative ( 8/1 Boyle Sports). Or if you are a coward like me back them both and swear loudly as Jimmy Maher hits a season best of three, as Glamorgan are bowled out for 7:@. Good luck, everyone!
I cant believe that fat git hasnt been released and cherry has, surely with powell back next year and wright and grant getting better surely there is no possible place for watkins. Why are teams always 1.5 against us, we are terrible, although i dont want to get involved.

Re: Cricket: Natwest Pro40 2007 Not sure about wharf, his innings in the championship have been good but in the longer for he plays like a batsman, unlike the rest of the team... He will probably revert to his hit or miss (miss 80%) slogger style today, and fail, I certainly wouldnt be lumping on, you cant trust anyone in that team. The 'other' on betfair could contain a few batsmen including tom maynard, and wharf as well, maybe a good punt