Times Newspaper Predictor.

merlin

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Whooooosh .........way over my tiny brain I'm afraid :loon But I'm glad that TP has some merits and it's a vital part of this thread. Any ideas how Betting Genius & Michael Wrays Spreadsheets are Calculated ? Is there an easy way to explain the various methodology in laymens terms ? :ok

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi Kanga Been looking at the Michael Wray predictions for this weekend and have found that some of my matches differ from the ones shown in your table (sorry!). I've checked my tables against those at the BBC sport website and they appear to match. The differences I have are: Swansea v Huddersfield 1-1 Southampton v Sheff Wed 0-0 Hull v Wolves 0-1 Hartlepool v Doncaster 1-2 Barnet v Carlisle 1-2 Lincoln v Notts Co 2-0 Torquay v Mansfield 2-0 Wrexham v Northampton 2-2 Probably won't affect any of the selections but might be worth checking your tables.

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi Kanga, I agree with all the missing matches for Epl, Championship, League 1 and League 2 (only have these 4 currently updated) that Merlin posted and the additions that you put in. Don't know where that leaves us if we all agree with the matches that have already been played but still have diferences in predicted scores.

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Well from the 10 selections today 7 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss (Brentford) - so 70% for the wins only and 90% for the lay method which is about what we are running at and making a steady profit. I'll post the actual results later and remind you of these 2 for tommorrow.

Date

Premiership

TP

BG

MW

Odds

26/02/06

Bolton v Fulham

49.4%

58%

2-1

1.80 :hope

26/02/06

Liverpool v Man City

64.2%

67%

1-0

1.53 :hope

26/02/06

West Brom v Middlesbrough

42.8%

55%

2-1

:ok

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Some good figures there Cavelloman :clap So just to confirm the amount of TP % isn't used to select the home wins - they are picked on VALUE which is TP% * Decimal Odds > 100. Average odds for you were 2.37 so only a > 42% strike rate needed to make a profit (assuming no commission) and you showed 62.5% (average home win % on all leagues is 44% by random selection) If that strike rate holds then you would have a VERY good system. Have you calculated the reverse using this method - chosing the worse value away teams to lay ? :ok

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Good idea on Wednesday I will put up best value homes and best value aways(these could indicate home lays). I think the trigger point for a bet should be +8% to allow a margin of error. I will also indicate double values (both the Times and Racing and Football Outlook) The hard thing to come to terms with in soccer betting is that the best team on the day does not alway win. Idea for Times value bets-Stake according the % chance of win for simplicity- 55% stake £55 32% stake £32. Obviously adjust stake to about your normal level. The bets also indicated to be value for the Racing and Football Computer scored 5 from 8-Eves,11/8,9/4.18/8 & 10/11. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of this source of computer generated odds. P.S. At least unofficial bets did better then my official advices on Sports-punter, unfortunately staked only moderately on them!!!. Got a right bloody nose on the French /German Soccer yesterday. Confidence now at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. hi guys - going well. kanga are the 'results' in the table actual finished results? if so, sheffutd qpr did not finish 2-1! i know cos i lost money on it!! 2-3 qpr! keep up the good work. the 3-0 strategy looks impressive. i follow with interest. :)

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Well I thought they were the finished results - for some reason I missed the 2-3 :spank I must admit I don't concentrate so hard on the non-selections :loon Well the strike rates and yield are as follows. I have made an alteration to the figures as I wasn't calculating the "Lay the Away" correctly - these are now all based on a 1 point Stake or Lay.

Home Win only

ARB 1x

Lay the Away

65% Strike Rate

93% Strike Rate

93% Strike Rate

9.61% Yield

4.01% yield

12.13% Yield

6.63 Points Profit

2.77 Points

8.37 Points (after commission)

:drums

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. This is a fascinating thread..Been following it for a while and over the weekend I played a Goliath and Super Heinz, with Kanga's and Cavelloman's selections and made a profit. Thank You to both of you for posting your selections and the others who add to this thread. Cavelloman I am still trying to figure what Poisson distribution is LOL. You should put your knowledge of stats etc to other sports. I know a few who try NBA etc..Just from reading some your stats on footie here you definitely know what you doing.... best of luck to you all and i wish you a safe and blessed evening..... Majid

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi Majid, Thanks for the kind words, it's takes a bit of time to compile the tables but it's proving worth it - I constantly check the %'s to see if any other combination is better but we seem to have hit the ground running with the method we initially set up - even though backing them may be different. Glad you're liking the thread - and the same to any other viewers out there who use the tables :ok

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Well not quite as expected but as you know I've been "laying the away" so another winner :clap I'll mark it with an unsure emoticon as we keep tracking the betting systems.

Date

League 1

TP

BG

MW

Odds

28/02/06

39.4%

34%

0-2

1-1

28/02/06

42.8%

28%

1-2

1-2

28/02/06

40%

2-1

0-0

Date

League 2

TP

BG

MW

Odds

28/02/06

50.2%

60%

2-0

0-0 :unsure

28/02/06

45.3%

27%

0-1

1-1

:ok

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi Kang, Sorry to throw a spanner in the works (again!) but I have some MW predictions different to those that you have posted. I have double-checked my tables and they agree with the BBC website. The differences I have are: Cardiff v Sheffield Wed 2-0 Southampton v Coventry 2-0 Huddersfield v Doncaster 3-1 Port Vale v MK Dons 3-2 Boston v Northampton 1-2 Bury v Macclesfield 1-0 Cheltenham v Wycombe 2-1 Rushden v Grimsby 2-0 I'll post the differences on Merlin's MW Spreadsheet thread for him to have a look at.

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi DavidC, Something funny is going on - I've checked all the leagues in the spreadsheet tables against the BBC ones and they all seem ok. Have you entered the midweek matches ? - it seems like the teams you have listed above played midweek - only thing I can think of :unsure

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi Andy I've entered all outstanding results and checked the league tables twice and then re-done the predictions and I still show the 8 differences. I'll go through everything with a fine toothcomb tomorrow and let you know if I spot anything wrong. It might be an idea to post our league tables to see if they are identical.

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi David, Thanks for pointing out the discrepancies - I've just scrapped my old MW sheets and uploaded new ones (far easier to do than check & alter) I've changed the MW info in the tables above (no selection difference) - if you look at the MW thread you'll see that you are spot on :ok

Re: Times Newspaper Predictor. Hi guys, great work as usual. However, looks like the TP has been updated since stats looked at - many have changed resulting in these changes to predictions that matter:- These are now out Southampton drops to 44 P.Vale drops to 47.6 On the bright side, these are in Norwich 50 Plymouth 52 Huddersfield 48