Racing chat - Saturday 2nd December 2023.

Newbury 1.40
Eleven have declared for this 2M 4 1/2F class 2 handicap hurdle which has a very open look about it. If there is one horse that may well be ahead of his handicap mark then it surely is the Nicky Henderson trained Jet Powered who is making his handicap debut here having impressively won a Irish point to point and a maiden hurdle at the track a year ago. He flopped when last seen as a 2/7 favourite last New Years Eve but a mark of 131 may well underestimate his ability and he’s the pick for a team that is in terrific form. With Nico de Boinville up at Newcastle to ride Constitution Hill, James Bowen comes in for the ride.

JET POWERED 1 point win 7/2 bet365

Newcastle 1.55
The much awaited re-appearance of Nicky Henderson’s superstar Constitution Hill, the real poster boy of National Hunt racing. Unbeaten under rules in seven starts including six Grade ones with last season’s Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham the stand out victory. He bolted up in this last year and at very prohibitive odds should be winning with his head in his chest. Too skinny to back but a race to watch and savour.

Newbury 2.15
Nicky Henderson has won the Coral Bet Bundles Intermediate Handicap Hurdle (better known as the Gerry Feilden) on three of the last four years and looks to have a major chance of enhancing that record with his smart chestnut filly Under Control who’s won four of her five starts so far over hurdles including when defeating her stable mate Iberico Lord who’s already come out and won the Greatwood Handicap Hurdle this season at Sandown when last seen in April. She’s 9lb higher now but could be useful and a recent away day to the track should have put her spot on for this. Her main danger is likely to be the Harry Derham trained Brentford Hope who was so impressive at the last meeting although has been raised 11lb for that victory.

UNDER CONTROL 2 points win @ 11/8 William Hill

Newbury 2.50
An ultra competitive renewal of the 3M 2F Coral Gold Cup, better known to those of us of a certain age as the Hennessy Gold Cup. A field of twenty have declared and claims can be made for plenty. Paul Nicholls took the first major handicap of the season with Stage Star in the Paddy Power Gold Cup a fortnight ago and can take this with his similarly profiled Complete Unknown. A smart novice last season winning at Ffos Las and Kempton as well as running Gerri Colombe to 7 1/2 lengths in a grade 1 novice chase at Aintree. He’s been out already this season winning a three runner intermediate chase at Newton Abbot in October and has been laid out for this. He looks sure to run his race with luck in running and can be backed each way with additional places. Jonjo O’Neill’s Monbeg Genius looks a danger although his re-appearance run at Ascot was rather disappointing.

COMPLETE UNKNOWN 1 point each way @ 15/2 William Hill 1/5th 123456

Newcastle 3.05
Eight line up (although Datsalrightgino and Bill Baxter are more likely to run at Newbury) with the conundrum that is Shiskin making a quick re-appearance after failing to start at Ascot last week. If he jumps off then surely he’ll be able to give weight to some exposed handicappers and it’s worth chancing that he consents to start with last weeks cheek pieces taken off now. Best of the rest may well be Sandy Thomson’s Empire Steel but as long as there’s no shenanigans at the start this valuable prize should be going to NIcky Henderson’s nine year old who may have too much class for his rivals.

SHISHKIN 1 point win @ 13/8 888sport

Newbury 3.25
Just seven line up for this class 2 2M handicap chase. Dan Skelton’s Real Stone blew his opposition away last time out at Haydock coming home 20 lengths to the good in a hack canter and a rise of 8lb looks lenient to me. He is actually held on his previous start by the favourite here Master Chewy but that was Real Stone’s first run of the season and if in the same form as last time should be hard to beat under Harry Skelton.

REAL STONE 1 point win @ 10/3 William Hill

My  3 against the field in the Hennessy  (drat, Coral Gold Cup)

all 3 are younger horses  who might have not yet have been captured by the handicapper

Midnight River - has some top handicap form in big fields having won a couple of grade 3 handicaps with 15/16 runners
Mahler Mission - has grade and listed race wins at around 3 miles, looks like a real stayer
Stolen Silver- looked to improve a lot when stepped up to 2m 7f and the extra 3 furlongs here might bring out more

If I have to pick one I'd go for Midnight River on the basis that we know he handles these big field handicaps. 

P Nicholls super boost (betfair)  ......Newb 2.50 'Complete Unknown' @ EVS to finish top 10   ( 40pts staked )    WON  10th 

11.45  F/House          Corbetts Cross  2/1    WON  

12.30 Newb                 Inch House  6/4      WON

12.50 F/House            Ballyburn   Evs                             Ossies Lodge  200/1  EW       A Martin bumper winner worth a small bet

13.05 Newb                Jingko Blue  2/1   WON    (our Newmarket friends Nap, thought lot of in yard! )       Emailandy  4/1   ( Nicholls runners going well ) 

Jingko Blue wins by nose, bet our friend was nervous as a photograph but made his day ( £300) and ours smaller stakes for £75 return 💷  

13.40  Newb                   Jet Powered  3/1                Irish Hill  5/1     

14.00 F/House              The Big Chap    7/1 EW                 Fighting Fit  11/1  EW    2nd  12/1                

14.50 Newb                  Stolen Silver  12/1 EW             Ahoy Senor  12/1  EW                       Cloudy Glen 20/1 EW    5th           6 places     

15.10 F/House             Hunting Brook  4/1                     Zanndabad  14/1 EW                                   5 places   

4 WINS 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 and 2 EW places sooo came out nicely ahead again with 3 figure profit 👍💷             

Edited by Brahmin

Had to be snowy evening considering the weather.

1340 jet powered main bet

Sebastopol ew

Also irish hill had used with a couple of doubles (manimole and inch house). - actually works out best return.

1450 mahler mission

Monbeg genius

Ew on datsalrightgino and our power

Complete unknown is evens for a top 10 finish on betfair.

Also got a couple of free in play bets so will use these on both 1340 and 1450 (if I remember, out for work Xmas party).

Good luck all.

1 hour ago, Tedthewolf said:

2,50 NB 1pt e/w on both CLOUDY GLEN 22/1 bog 6places SHAKEM UPHARRY 50/1 bog  6places - both have bits of decent form  very open race  with 6 places up for grabs  i think these 2 will give me a good run for my money!

4pts invested

Both ran very well and placed  5th & 6th Cloudy ran his usual strong race maybe hard race a few week ago took a bit out of him Harry ran a cracker but  just ran out of steam trip a bit too far i think needs dropping  back to 3m maybe. But very happy with that in a great race.

Retuned 16.40pts

Aqueduct 2017

a graded race reduced by two well drawn non runners.

as a result key horses are

GERRYMANDER

Win

GOOD SAM

WIN WITHOUT  GERRYMANDER

these horses are in the same yard and preferrence is for gerrymander who won a match race by 25 lengths.

the form was not franked by the second horse that day, but the fractions were good and the winner was heavily eased.

the odds win without are very favourable and this may be a one yard two horse race.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, Tedthewolf said:

Both ran very well and placed  5th & 6th Cloudy ran his usual strong race maybe hard race a few week ago took a bit out of him Harry ran a cracker but  just ran out of steam trip a bit too far i think needs dropping  back to 3m maybe. But very happy with that in a great race.

Retuned 16.40pts

Played Glen to use (for a change) my weekly double odds boost, did 'arry to smaller stakes in view of the name! Had settled both as losers as forgot about the extra places and just noticed them settled as winners in my account. :ok