Tennis Tips - August 7 - August 13

Sorry guys for the late thread opening!

@LOVETENNIS Please don't include links to affiliate websites, I presume it was unintentional :)

Darya Kasatkina to beat Elise Mertens at 1.57 with Unibet

Kasatkina seems to have Mertens' number, and she beat her quite comfortably only a couple of days ago in similar conditions. I've been mostly disappointed by Mertens so far in this season, and I don't expect her to turn things around here.

Bernarda Pera to beat Linda Noskova at 2.00 with Bet365

It's hard to say if this is even going to take place, but, if it does, I see no reason for Noskova to be the favorite given that she's still in Prague waiting for the Prague tournament to finish. It's a long trip to Canada, and she won't have much, if any, time to adapt. 

10 minutes ago, CzechPunter said:

Sorry guys for the late thread opening!

@LOVETENNIS Please don't include links to affiliate websites, I presume it was unintentional :)

Darya Kasatkina to beat Elise Mertens at 1.57 with Unibet

Kasatkina seems to have Mertens' number, and she beat her quite comfortably only a couple of days ago in similar conditions. I've been mostly disappointed by Mertens so far in this season, and I don't expect her to turn things around here.

Bernarda Pera to beat Linda Noskova at 2.00 with Bet365

It's hard to say if this is even going to take place, but, if it does, I see no reason for Noskova to be the favorite given that she's still in Prague waiting for the Prague tournament to finish. It's a long trip to Canada, and she won't have much, if any, time to adapt. 

I just took Pera as well , the whole situation is odd and if she really plays the final today and then flies to Canada she won't be at her best for sure , hopefully the organizers won't push back her match to wednesday haha

What do you think about Hurkacz, Eubanks to win a set and Wolf to win a set at odds of 2.90-3.00?

Might replace something if you got any better options.

Given the form Monfils has 3 wins this year and he is the favourite, not quite sure why. Eubanks had an amazing recent form even tho he lost to Vukic and Thompson

Edited by sterziyskii

Based on what I saw from Eubanks last week I would not be at all comfortable backing him at present. Looked awful against Thompson. Serve wasn't working and any rally beyond 3/4 shots he would just throw in a really bad unforced error. His movement is quite poor and the craft and skill of Monfils could easily frustrate him. Not a match I would want to be involved in personally. 

B Pera to beat L Noskova 2.00, Bet365/William Hill

As @CzechPunter has said Pera has a great shot tomorrow although I would be very, very surprised if that match went ahead. I will have a play on this as well just in case Noskova does manage to play.

Edited by MJT

Hibino wins surprisingly 6-4 6-1 against Noskova in the Prague final. As mentioned the weather it not looking great in Montreal so her match against Pera may not be played until Wednesday. Still have to question whether that is enough time to adapt etc as pointed out by @CzechPunter.

I still think it's likely she withdraws but let's see.

27 minutes ago, LOVETENNIS said:

Cary Challenger Men

Shevchenko A. - Hong S. C.

Shevchenko A. to win @1,45    

Shevchenko looks like a good match here. 

Arnaldi against Pospisil looks great, if matches are being played at all because of the weather

Edited by sterziyskii

Ostapenko to beat Brady at 1.55

Brady returns after 2 years and I don't think she will be physically ready for Ostapenko. She won 1 match this month against Kalinina and after that lost to Keys 4:6 0:6.

And Bencic -1.5 sets against Bronzetti.

Also has anyone watched Zhu and is she capable of upsetting Pliskova? I think about backing Pliskova but aint sure

Edited by sterziyskii

Not expecting much play today in either Montreal or Toronto but here are my plays:

Azarenka to beat Linette x Bencic -1.5 sets v Bronzetti 2.0, Unibet (NAP)
Azarenka has been playing some great tennis over recent months and should be too consistent for Linette. Bencic likewise has also been playing very well and her hold percentage has been excellent over the past 12 months. Should be far too good for Bronzetti.

Monfils to beat Eubanks 1.80, Bet365 (NB)
Think this is the perfect match up for Monfils. He is an excellent returner & his movement is one of the best on tour. He will get plenty of balls back in play which will frustrate Eubanks and lead to a large amount of unforced errors. My only concern here is if Eubanks serves lights out & wins tie breaks but based on how poorly he served & played against Thompson in Washington I have to take this play. He was awful in that match & could barely rally beyond 3/4 shots.

Tiafoe -2 Games v Raonic 1.82, Pinnacle
Tiafoe -1.5 Sets v Raonic 2.38, Unibet

Every chance this could be Raonic’s last appearance in Canada. With all of his injuries he has talked about the possibility of retirement. Since his comeback he has beaten Kecmanovic (poor grass record) & Novak at Wimbledon who was awful & still could have won. He lost to Thompson 7-6 6-1 wining only 61% of service points. And at Wimbledon he lost in 4 sets to Paul, which should have been in 3 given Paul served for the match in the 3rd set. Tiafoe is just the much better player. Only hope Raonic has is that he serves incredibly well & wins tie breaks. However, given all of Raonic’s injuries you would have to question his fitness at this moment in time. And if he doesn’t serve well it’s curtains for him in this match.

Mannarino -2 Games v Daniel 2.09, Pinnacle
I can’t get my ahead around these lines as I feel really Mannarino should be at least a 2.5/3 game favourite. Daniel does lead the head to head 2-0, albeit one of those was on Clay which is by far Mannarino’s worst surface. Daniel did win the other match 6-4 6-3 in Atlanta last season which is a slight concern but Mannarino for me has been playing the much better tennis over the last few months & is just the better overall player.

Hurkacz win and Over 19.5 Games v Bublik 1.83, William Hill
Hurkacz win and Over 22.5 Games v Bublik 2.60, Bet365

I wanted to get a play on the overs of some kind in this match & I do feel Hurkacz will get the win as well. Hurkacz has a lot of points to defend given he made the final of Montreal last season. I always worry about Bublik & how his motivation will be on the day. I would hope that at he is at least motivated in 1 set especially with it being a Masters event. The head to head is 5-1 for Hurkacz with him winning the last 5 & only dropping a single set. His returning stats have been worse this season so I do expect a closer set / Tie Break.

Best of luck all

Such a frustrating day again yesterday. Thanks to the NAP and NB winning it was break even, but had there been 1 more game in the Bublik match and Tiafoe not lost a lead to an injured Raonic it would have been a 6-1 day and a good profit.

Fine margins again and just like last week they appear to be going the wrong way at the moment.

Will be back later with my plays for the day.

A few smaller plays in the earlier matches today in Poland. No time for write up's unfortunately as the first match is about to start.

WTA Kozerki
Havlickova -3.5 Games v Bandecchi 1.91, William Hill
Havlickova 2-0 2.25, William Hill
Knutson -1.5 Games v Raina 1.91, William Hill

Best of luck all

Some write ups for the games above.

Havlickova v Bandecchi
The promising Czech youngster who is a junior grand slam champion & gave a good account of herself last week against Cornet losing in 3 sets. Earlier in the year she had some good wins on hard against the likes of Snigur & Dodin. World number 446 Bandecchi is an average player who has lost heavily recently. Her last loss 6-3 6-4 to world number 599 Lindh. Doesn't have a great hard court record & should be beaten again today by a very exciting young prospect.

Knutson v Raina
Although Martincova wasn't at her best last week I was still impressed by the performance of Knutson. She has a decent serve & likes to play aggressive tennis. Raina blew a big lead last week against Noskova who was very, very poor in that match. Knutson also had a good qualifying win 6-3 6-4 over Lisicki losing her serve just once and winning 68% of service points. Those figures again in this match will be enough for her to get another win as she will get plenty of chances against the weaker Raina serve. This match could be close but I prefer the serve & attacking play of Knutson. Especially as Raina has often struggled with more powerful players as she just get's hit off the court. A low 1.5 line should also manageable if it did go to 3 sets.

1 hour ago, MJT said:

Such a frustrating day again yesterday. Thanks to the NAP and NB winning it was break even, but had there been 1 more game in the Bublik match and Tiafoe not lost a lead to an injured Raonic it would have been a 6-1 day and a good profit.

Fine margins again and just like last week they appear to be going the wrong way at the moment.

Will be back later with my plays for the day.

Watched Tiafoe and can say he choked a little in the second set.. Raonic scored 38 aces tho, really unfortunate.

1 minute ago, sterziyskii said:

Watched Tiafoe and can say he choked a little in the second set.. Raonic scored 38 aces tho, really unfortunate.

Yeah he wasn't great. Almost lost the 1st set having served for it and then missed massive opportunities at 6-5 30-0 in the 2nd set. Both in rallies and the 15-30 point in particular he should have won to get 2 match points. Then loses 6/7 of the last points in the tie break. With the poor Raonic return game there's not excuse to lose 3 points in a row on your serve. Either way it is another poor loss from Tiafoe.

36 minutes ago, MJT said:

Some write ups for the games above.

Havlickova v Bandecchi
The promising Czech youngster who is a junior grand slam champion & gave a good account of herself last week against Cornet losing in 3 sets. Earlier in the year she had some good wins on hard against the likes of Snigur & Dodin. World number 446 Bandecchi is an average player who has lost heavily recently. Her last loss 6-3 6-4 to world number 599 Lindh. Doesn't have a great hard court record & should be beaten again today by a very exciting young prospect.

Knutson v Raina
Although Martincova wasn't at her best last week I was still impressed by the performance of Knutson. She has a decent serve & likes to play aggressive tennis. Raina blew a big lead last week against Noskova who was very, very poor in that match. Knutson also had a good qualifying win 6-3 6-4 over Lisicki losing her serve just once and winning 68% of service points. Those figures again in this match will be enough for her to get another win as she will get plenty of chances against the weaker Raina serve. This match could be close but I prefer the serve & attacking play of Knutson. Especially as Raina has often struggled with more powerful players as she just get's hit off the court. A low 1.5 line should also manageable if it did go to 3 sets.

Hlackikova 4-1 up and cruising, and now about to lose the first set 🙈, these youngsters seem to have little tennis intelligence and ability to finish off winning positions it seems..