** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Betting with Mean Regression Algorithm

Hi everyone, 

It's been a while. Hope you're all good. 

After Covid putting a stop to sports etc for so long I looked at getting back to it a while ago but the form wasn't there to provide the data so I held off. Well now they've been playing again I thought I would start recording some paper trading bets with a view to going back to money in the new  year some time if it seems OK to follow for real. 

Quick points. 

Paper trading only at the moment

Using Betfair prices when I research selections (I have added profit already on the spreadsheet so it's easy to track when results are in, or change to a loss, and includes commission from my what if figure)

I am using a mean regression algorithm that crunches stats and data and throws up selections for players who might have been under/over performing compared to market sentiment. Seeing as the markets are quite efficient, the players should return to winning/losing an amount of matches that their odds say they should win. 

I will try to share the paper trade selections often, but at times I will be away so can't always do it. I will share ones I put on the spreadsheet, so you won't just see random winning selections added. 

Any comments and discussion are welcome. 

Hopefully it's interesting enough for someone to keep an eye on and maybe see how it goes, rather than just me talking to the thread by myself!

A few selections I have picked for tonight, paper trading with £100 stakes. 

Screenshot 2021-11-11 152958.jpg

6 minutes ago, alexcaruso808 said:

I'm following your final selection, only getting on now so I'm a little late.   

Your call if you're using money. I am still paper trading after covid causing so much tennis to be missed. Seems to be still a method that works though although it's early days and I will be using money in the new year if it continues to turn a profit. I imagine it won't be this lucrative longer term but profit is profit and profit is what we want. :)

2 minutes ago, Tennis Picks said:

Your call if you're using money. I am still paper trading after covid causing so much tennis to be missed. Seems to be still a method that works though although it's early days and I will be using money in the new year if it continues to turn a profit. I imagine it won't be this lucrative longer term but profit is profit and profit is what we want. :)

I only bet small - I put £1 on Garbine Muguruza to win. 

7 hours ago, Wildgarden said:

doing urs inplay when losing... trying to get some extra value as i know the swings on tennis cant make it good. sakkari yday i had 8-1 but sadly lost the 3rd lol

In an old thread of using a very similar method I would set the bets 10/20 ticks higher to match in play. After a while I  noticed there were lots that were winning easily and not getting matched so I scrapped that idea. I'm not sure the long term results would show it's worth it but def worth recording the bets and seeing how it goes.

1 hour ago, alexcaruso808 said:

Are you getting your stats from somewhere and feeding them into a spreadsheet which calculates what bets you should place?  I know you most likely don't want to give specifics, but I'm interested if you're using a script, or spreadsheet, or software?  I'm just a nerd who likes to know how this is done.

I have software a friend built that collates all results, odds, stats etc for all matches. I check current markets for matches, feed info into the software that pulls the historical data for similar matches, then shows whether I should bet or not. That's all I can say really without going into specifics too much. 

54 minutes ago, Tennis Picks said:

I have software a friend built that collates all results, odds, stats etc for all matches. I check current markets for matches, feed info into the software that pulls the historical data for similar matches, then shows whether I should bet or not. That's all I can say really without going into specifics too much. 

It is very impressive!