** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis Betting with Mean Regression Algorithm

• 1 month later...

Ok, the tennis is back so I am back. My business is manic at the moment so I will try to get selections done when I can but I might miss some as it's constant at the moment. 

Current results total is visible in the top right of the image. 

I have made selections up to the 06.00 matches, (stopping at Kerber match) and will do those in the morning if they're still to play. 

Still paper trading, Betfair prices used at the time of research. Let's see how it continues to fare. 

tennis.png

I'm curious why you're using level stakes, unless it's just for the sake of simplicity. If you're working out a player's historic performance within a particular odds band then surely there's times where the odds are only just above that performance and other times where the odds are way away from where you think they should be. Surely those times where the odds deviate particularly severely from what you think they should be demand a bigger stake than those where the deviation is smaller.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:59 AM, Torque said:

I'm curious why you're using level stakes, unless it's just for the sake of simplicity. If you're working out a player's historic performance within a particular odds band then surely there's times where the odds are only just above that performance and other times where the odds are way away from where you think they should be. Surely those times where the odds deviate particularly severely from what you think they should be demand a bigger stake than those where the deviation is smaller.

Yes, level stakes just for simplicity at the moment. You're right in that there are some differences in the level of performance when betting, and these could be used to stake via Kelly in the future. I might start noting down the win percentages (actual and expected) and see if larger differences result in more wins. I will add it to the spreadsheet. 

41 minutes ago, Tennis Picks said:

One more pick tonight. I was trying to think back to before covid times when I was doing well with this method and I think it didn't perform that well at Slams. I am hoping with the extra matches from multiple tournaments it will pick up when the AO is over. 

tennis.png

You need a big sample before drawing any conclusions. A very big sample. I'd say five figures. The smaller the dataset the more likely that conclusions are drawn that aren't necessarily correct, like the one you mention about Slams.

7 hours ago, Torque said:

You need a big sample before drawing any conclusions. A very big sample. I'd say five figures. The smaller the dataset the more likely that conclusions are drawn that aren't necessarily correct, like the one you mention about Slams.

yeah, the picks come thick and fast when multiple tournaments are on. They did before anyway. I did keep records for a long time but got rid of them as I thought I wouldn't need them again when covid came. Even after covid, the players didn't have any sort of form for 18 months so I decided to just wait. I wish I kept the records now. Maybe they will show up in a corner of my hard drive one day lol

24 minutes ago, Tennis Picks said:

yeah, the picks come thick and fast when multiple tournaments are on. They did before anyway. I did keep records for a long time but got rid of them as I thought I wouldn't need them again when covid came. Even after covid, the players didn't have any sort of form for 18 months so I decided to just wait. I wish I kept the records now. Maybe they will show up in a corner of my hard drive one day lol

It's a shame if you can't retrieve them. Data like that would still be useful even if Covid has had an effect. My take is even if it has done, it wouldn't be significant. Just another kind of noise that a bigger dataset is designed not to be corrupted by.