Racing Chat - Monday 4th January

Whilst picking my ITV 7 choices out I couldn't help but notice in the 4.20 at Wolverhampton - LEO'S LUCKYMAN has a rating of just 26.

Is this a misprint or is this a mere horse & NOT a racehorse ?

Should if horses fail to reach a certain mark over say a 12 / 18 month period taking into account a certain amount of runs & without injuries they be retired or are they still worthy of running ?

Edited by calva decoy
Spelling error

3 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Whilst picking my ITV 7 choices out I couldn't help but notice in the 4.20 at Wolverhampton - LEO'S LUCKYMAN has a rating of just 26.

Is this a misprint or is this a mere horse & NOT a racehorse ?

Should if horses fail to reach a certain mark over say a 12 / 18 month period taking into account a certain amount of runs & without injuries they be retired or are they still worthy of running ?

No misprint Calva - he's rated 26 - quite staggering really !!.Hills believe it or not have shortened him to 66/1 from 80/1 !! He's met 90 horses in his career and only beaten 4

8 hours ago, yossa6133 said:

Just looking at Leo's Luckyman, he was actually backed on debut 12/1 into 9/2, so must have shown something at home!

Was rated as low as 23 on 22nd February 2020 then finished 5th of 6 ONLY beaten 9.5L .

How it went up to a rating of 45 & now back into mid 20's the mind boggles , as does the handicappers !!!

Well, not a great deal on offer today in the non handicaps

I was fascinated to see in the 3.25 at Fakenham that Tiny Tantrum has over a stone more in weight than on its last run.  The 10lbs claimer allowance doesn't count as it is the same rider who rode it last time.  On the other hand Harde Fashion is only carrying 4lbs more than on its last effort.  I don't understand this discrepancy in the weights.  Perhaps @Trotter can come to my aid.  Anyway I'm not playing as there are a few others with what looks to be good chances.

I have had a bet in the 3.50 at Wolvs with £3.50 on Kyllukey at 7/2 with Richard Kingscote aboard.  It has drifted from 5/2 overnight but I think that it should beat Dubai Paradise and I don't see that Captain Ryan is as good as it was last year.

In the 6.20 at Wolves I have had £6 at 3.47 on Shimmering Dawn which seems a good price.  Again this is a drifter as the media and the market have plumped for Amniarix.  Good luck to that one if it wins but I'll stick with the horse that should win at the weights.

Finally I have gone for Big Kitty in the 6.50 at Wolves with Ben Curtis aboard £4 win at 11/4 last night .  The market has gone for Hollie Doyle's horse Angel Mill which I believe is too short

Hence, I have chosen drifters today, however, you never know the market can always change in the run up to post time.

Total outlay to day is £13.50

Good luck to all sailing in the races today

==================================================================================================

A complete washout for me today.  I had another £2 on Big Kitty So my loss for the day was £15.50.  My only regret was that I didn't have a cover win bet on Amniarix (RichardKingscote in flying form with three winners).  I will do the cover bet in future when I think that I am betting on a two horse race.  I had no qualms about not doing so on Hollie Doyle's horse Angel Mill as I simply did not fancy it despite all the market hype. My balance has now been reduced to £533.88 (£500 Bank)

Many thanks to @Trotterfor pointing out the actual weight to be carried by Tiny Tantrum earlier, plus also to look at the race conditions regarding weights and penalties. I will look out for jockeys with allowances that have to be deducted from the advertised weight on race cards in future in my non-handicap races.

Only two meetings tomorrow in the UK.  Two class 5 races and three Class 6 races.  No future stars on show for my non handicap races tomorrow I fear.

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

5 minutes ago, The Equaliser said:

Well, not a great deal on offer today in the non handicaps

I was fascinated to see in the 3.25 at Fakenham that Tiny Tantrum has over a stone more in weight than on its last run.  The 10lbs claimer allowance doesn't count as it is the same rider who rode it last time.  On the other hand Harde Fashion is only carrying 4lbs more than on its last effort.  I don't understand this discrepancy in the weights.  Perhaps @Trotter can come to my aid.  Anyway I'm not playing as there are a few others with what looks to be good chances.

Well ....... relative weights are only of importance in handicaps

This isn't a handicap and neither was his first run...... so the weights are determined by the Race Conditions

If you're using the Racing Post you can choose to have the Race Conditions shown on the card which might be useful to read

Also if you're using the Post note this ....... 

On the race card it shows the allotted weight before any riders allowances are taken off ....... so it shows 11.5 but with the riders allowance he will actually carry 10-9 today

On the horses form page the weight it shows is the weight after the riders allowance is taken off ........ so for his last run it shows 10-4 so his allotted weight would have been 11.0

A few outsiders a couple of races with 2 horses 

12.10 lingfield hunters steps 12/1

2.25 fakenham heresmynumber 14/1

1.55 fakenham amethea 25/1 5 places e w e

1.55 fakenham shaws dilemma 16/1 

12.25 fakenham thorn 16/1

12.25 fakenham gyllen 18/1 6 places e w e 

all bets 50p e/w bet365 

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Well ....... relative weights are only of importance in handicaps

This isn't a handicap and neither was his first run...... so the weights are determined by the Race Conditions

If you're using the Racing Post you can choose to have the Race Conditions shown on the card which might be useful to read

Also if you're using the Post note this ....... 

On the race card it shows the allotted weight before any riders allowances are taken off ....... so it shows 11.5 but with the riders allowance he will actually carry 10-9 today

On the horses form page the weight it shows is the weight after the riders allowance is taken off ........ so for his last run it shows 10-4 so his allotted weight would have been 11.0

Many thanks.  All a bit confusing to me