Racing Chat- Wednesday 2nd December

16 minutes ago, Valiant Thor said:

(anyone with basic stats should be able to work the above out and how I came about it) :ok

I think your definition of basic stats and others definition might be a bit different !

You are right though, the more work you pit in the better you will get. I've been doing this 40 years but still learning and improving.

I still can't price a race though.

43 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

I think your definition of basic stats and others definition might be a bit different !

You are right though, the more work you pit in the better you will get. I've been doing this 40 years but still learning and improving.

I think your confusing basic maths with basic stats totally different

2 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

A quick way which I used when I looked at lots of races ........ 

Look at the runners in your race and just put them in order of preference ....... so your first choice is 1 and your second choice is 2 etc

Then take a reputable site like the Racing Post and look at their forecast odds and put the odds for their favourite against your number one, the odds for their second favourite against your number 2 and so on

So you're using the 'expert' odds compiler to give you the overall shape of the market but substituting his order of market position for your order

take an example ......... if your number 1 is 4th in the forecast at 7/1 and you can get 7/1 then it's probably good value if your assessment that it's number one is correct

if the odds compiler has a horse as 2/1 Fav and you have 4th on your list it's probably bad value

Obviously the more horses in a race the less % your selection has of winning, that’s if you rate up all the horses in the race. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to get rid of the horses that you think have little to no chance of winning.  Would that give you more accurate odds for the horses that are left in the race? Some races are competitive where all have their merits, but there are races where some horses are literally just making the numbers up. 

2 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Obviously the more horses in a race the less % your selection has of winning, that’s if you rate up all the horses in the race. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to get rid of the horses that you think have little to no chance of winning.  

Some races are competitive where all have their merits, but there are races where some horses are literally just making the numbers up. 

All horses have some chance of winning  however slight it may be,by omitting some horses you would create a false market
The no hoper could be the faller that brings the fav down.

Would that give you more accurate odds for the horses that are left in the race?

In a word ...NO

It is ideal for analysing a lot of data. My current NH data includes details for 200,000 runs over the last 7 years. From this you can identify what factors are profitable.

For example I can analyse by days last run and this shows that horses that last run 7 days ago or less have produced 671 winners from 4,422 runners and produced a ROI of 6%.

You wouldn't be able to get this sort of information data from pen and paper.

Sounds complicated. Do you have to type everything into the computer in order for it to save all the data. I’ll use Richard as an example here, but how does he get his ratings from the computer. I have to go through each race and want to rate and it takes me half hour. I can imagine the computer does it in seconds . 

2 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Do you have to type everything into the computer in order for it to save all the data

I used to type al the data from the Racing Post. These days I download it all off the web. It does cost to do this but probably less than the cost of a racing paper.