Racing Chat -friday 25th sept

535 hay 

Hesslewood  376 

Sea trout reach  373

Al rasmah  372 

Tricky race ....hesslewood has been running creditably in better races than this so this is easier....sea trout reach is 2nd rated but I'll take a chance on al rasmah ew who will relish the return to 8f and is a huge price 

Hesslewood 10pts win 4/1 willh

Al rasmah 5pts ew 25/1 bet365 

• BillyHills changed the title to Racing Chat -friday 25th sept

Some cracking action at Moonee Valley under the lights which also means it is on at a sensible time for people to watch the action. The tricky thing is rain is due so I will be waiting to have most plays in the morning, but here are my likely plays.

8.15 Extra Time

8.45 Chicago Club

9.15 Alfa Oro (Confidence would increase if the track is wet)

10.15 Swats That

10.45 Mirage Dance and Quick Thinker (If a dry track I would add Mantastic as well)

11.15 (Group 1 Moir Stakes) Bella Vella and Pippie (I would cover Fabergino if the track stayed dry. Unknown on a wet track)

12.30 Uttoxeter - 1pt e/w Quick Draw @ 8/1 Bet365

If fit enough for this (market vibes quite positive) then looks to hold sound each-way hopes having run well in two bumpers. Ran on well to be second on debut and then was a very respectable 7th in a listed bumper over 1m6f next time out. Wouldn't have the speed for that in good company and always looked like going hurdling over further would suit on pedigree and runs so far. Very unexposed still and conditions ought to suit here with an extra emphasis on stamina going hurdling over 2m4f. Open to plenty of improvement now and I'd be disappointed if he didn't make the first three.

1.30 Uttoxeter - 1pt e/w Very Intense @ 25/1 Bet365

Hasn't run since February when flopping on heavy ground but this should be more suitable and there are some promising signs returning from an absence given this one has plenty of good form when fresh. Was only narrowly denied at Fakenham two starts back (pair clear, winner went close off higher next time) and if returning with a run anything like that, would go close here with conditions to suit, so worth chancing at such a big price.

1.50 Newmarket - 1pt win Fooraat @ 15/2 Bet365

Unexposed type who hasn't quite built on its impressive win at Chelmsford earlier in the year but has had excuses - off the pace in a slowly run race at Epsom when not handling the track all that well and then ran on heavy ground last time, albeit respectably. His full brother Benbatl, who also runs today, has flopped on soft ground so very plausible he can bounce back on a sounder surface today and on a more galloping track.  

2.15 Haydock - 1pt e/w Mahanakhon Power @ 14/1 Bet365

Fair to say the market vibes are not strong for this one on handicap debut and it's probably the case that his handicap mark flatters him but does have 7lbs taken off his back here and this test should suit better. Not done a great deal in novices over shorter but did stay on to some effect last time out over the extended 1m1f at Wolverhampton and is very much bred to stay so the extra furlong here and a more testing surface should help. Drifted out to a big price so will have a tentative play. 

2.35 Uttoxeter - 1pt e/w Follow the Swallow @ 20/1 Bet365

Off a featherweight I think the 12yo in the field could go well at a big price having produced a more than satisfactory return to action last time, only fading on the run-in and this one has an excellent record second time out after an absence. Gets its ground today too and has place prospects at least.

3.00 Newmarket - 1pt win Santosha @ 17/2 Bet365

Santosha beat Isabella Giles two starts back over 6f yet that one is a 2/1 shot here and I think Santosha looks the value bet here. Had no chance after completely blowing the start last time out so can draw a line through that effort and should be absolutely fine going up to 7f today on both track evidence and pedigree so surprising to see such a big price here in a small field.

One Trixie today

1.15 Nm Crossford £2 win at 7/2
1.50 Nm Cloak Of Spirits £2 win at 7/2
4.35 Hd Prince Alex £2 win at 4.8 = £7.45

One Trixie at £1 = £4 = poss return of £137.25

= £4 on multiples

= £6 on singles

= £10 total

I am experimenting a little differently with my lay betting today.  What I have done is put in a "lay" bet of £10.21 at odds of 2.04 in running on each of the three selections above.  If one gets matched and wins I lose £10.62 on the "lay" bet and win £7 on the win bet = a £3.62 loss.  If this happened on all three I would lose £10.86. However, I would win £137.25 on the Trixie.  I would still win about £19 if a double came in.  Looks like worth a try when I am always trying to protect my bank

Strictly speaking at odds of 7/2 (my minimum) I should put in lay bets at £10.21 at 1.88 for a max liability of £8.98 but the big boys have carved up the in running market and I feel uncomfortable about setting up a "lay" bet at less than 2.0.  My win/multiple bets won't always be placed at 7/2 so the deficit may not always be a factor.

I have just checked and have found out that next to nothing is in the queue at 1.88 so I have amended my "lay" bets to £10.21 at 1.88 which means that I break even if one horse wins and my price gets matched

============================================================================================================

Two winners so a double on the multiples.  This paid £20 less £4 = £16 on the day  Balance c/fwd £674.69 (£800 Bank)

I couldn't have got it more wrong with my in-running adjustments.  I decimated my singles wins and created a loss of £5.46!!! Anyway I have written the singles balance down because of it and it now stands at £231.27 (Bank £400).

I should have just laid the amounts to recover the singles stakes and a proportion of the multiples which I will do in the future e.g. £3.41 at 1.98 = £3.34 v a liability of £3.34 on each selection.

Tomorrow is another day.

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

Had a small bet on Henrietta Bell in the next at Uttox. Obviously an open race but I think this one has a solid chance, made a fair start over fences and is on her last winning hurdles mark of 120. Cartmel was probably not the ideal track last time and the ground was a bit soft. In form, well handicapped and knows how to win, so a bit overpriced at 7/1 I reckon.

5 minutes ago, yossa6133 said:

Mine jumped terribly! Great pick by Rupert once again, couldn't see him doing it at 12.

First big winner in a while in a quiet month - she gave it a lovely ride. I probably thought a place was more likely but was a big price regardless of his age - handy little drift to 22s too!

19 hours ago, Villa Chris said:

Some cracking races tomorrow , but not much jumping out at me.  With the heavy rain on the way to Newmarket I’m going to take a chance on Antonia De Vega. Will stay the trip, also. 

2.55 Newmarket 

Antonia De Vega 9/2 won

Returned 37.50 points profit (Rule 4 applied) 

Edited by Villa Chris

On 9/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, richard-westwood said:

535 hay 

Hesslewood  376 

Sea trout reach  373

Al rasmah  372 

Tricky race ....hesslewood has been running creditably in better races than this so this is easier....sea trout reach is 2nd rated but I'll take a chance on al rasmah ew who will relish the return to 8f and is a huge price 

Hesslewood 10pts win 4/1 willh

Al rasmah 5pts ew 25/1 bet365 

Drifted to 17/2 ....hesslewood wins ....sea trout 3rd ...?