** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Win Backing System

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

That is generally the experience for long running and profitable threads in this section. I glance at yours but I’ve lost track of what you’re doing (had a recap now). The way you update could be more engaging and informative, there’s no context for anyone who looks in occasionally or is new to the thread, just selections, results and a bank update.

I’d suggest periodic updates along the lines of number of winners/bets, level stakes return and ROI. I tend to do something like that at least weekly.

I look in from time to time but as you say there's no full updates. I remember a post about how if the bank drops a certain amount it will be refilled from previous profits, but now I have no idea how many times if at all, that it's had to be reloaded. I glance at the latest post but then just move as I don't really know whats happening. 

A quick recap for us;

I started with a new staking scheme on 2nd December 2022. Bank was €1,000. All selections are to Win only. Two staking methods being tracked.

Staking 1) Aim is to win €30 per selection net of commission (so the price determines the stake)- this method is slow and steady. After yesterday the bank is €1,051. Highest bank has been €1,217, lowest has been €963. May possibly look to increase the Win per selection amount up from €30; as it seems to be extremely low downside.

Staking 2) Flat 1 unit backing stakes; net of 2% commission; we're 17.22 units up since 2nd December for the Wins.

All prices used are Betfair SP and all wins are net of 2% commission.

Just for reference backing the Places at BSP, net of 2% commission, is +4.36 units for the same period.

If my maths are right your ROI to level stakes singles is just over 10% but you're ROI to the staking plan is more like just over 5% (based on average stake required to return £30 profit) so it looks like the staking approach is underperforming level stakes.

That said, 166 is still a relatively small sample and I appreciate the staking plan may have been arrived at after looking back over a larger sample of past bets.

Either way, profit is profit so keep up the good work!

3 minutes ago, The Accountant said:

Hello Harry, thanks for coming back on this. Yes, staking to win €30 is giving a lower ROI than flat stakes at the moment. I know the selections are good; its a case of trying to maximise returns. 

It's under review for my goalscorer betting. It's beginning to look like staking to win x might be better than level stakes. I'll probably run to the end of the season and decide then. (To be fair I'll also need to review the viability of the bets overall; the "A" system posted on here is doing ok now after a bad start but the "B" system and my "studied" bets have gone the other way!)

23 hours ago, The Accountant said:

I'm completely open on staking strategies.

A fixed % of bank as a stake for a period until the bank grows say 25%; then re-adjust the fixed stake to the new bank would also appeal.

If you have a spreadsheet of all your previous selections I'm happy to run them through some software I have that tells you which staking plan is best to maximise results. Just let me know, :)