Last 16 Predictions > Jul 2nd & 3rd

2 minutes ago, Sir Puntalot said:

It's a 50/50 game in my opinion. I wouldn't say England were really poor, that's a bit over the top. Tunisia are a good side, but yes Panama are awful and I said privately we'd beat them 5-0. The facts are this, we could have put 5 or 6 past Tunisia and 10 past Panama. Belgian game isn't really relevant as both teams put their reserves out, so that's no form record at all.

I think England have to improve to beat Colombia, but there is something about what Southgate has created here that I haven't seen since Hoddle was the guv in 1998. That is a system that all the players understand and like. England look good, but absolutely they need to improve quite a bit to get past Colombia and further, that means taking the chances we create more often.

I would say that losing to Iceland is 'really poor', but I guess it's all about opinions.

I just don't see where all of the new renewed optimism is about England. Do they look good...really?

I compare this England side to a Burnley in the Premiership. Southgate has made us tough to beat, but we are anything but easy on the eye. Kane aside, we don't have any match winners.

I expect that today's game will see us surrender possession and play a counter attacking style. Columbia will be technically better than we are.

Colombia vs England

It's the game that a lot of you on this forum have been waiting for (or dreading!). Group H winners Colombia take on Group G runners-up England and the big news heading into this game is that it looks likely that star Colombian player James Rodriguez is set to be ruled out through injury.

Jose Pekerman's side were one of the stand-out teams four years ago in Brazil but it has been a bit less convincing this time around. His side began their campaign with a 2-1 loss with just 10 men to Japan. Even then, with the one man disadvantage, it felt like they could still nick a draw but it wasn't to be. They then dismantled Poland with a 3-0 win in one of the performances of the tournament. Finally, they ended their group phase with a 1-0 win over Senegal to seal their spot at the top of the group.

Gareth Southgate has done everything he can to keep English feet grounded but it now seems that the English support has firmly gotten carried away with the "It's coming home!" viral. I have no doubt that the English players will not have that excitement and will be fully aware that they still have a lot of work to do. Anybody with any sense won't buy into this "easier side of the draw" chat. There are no easy games now. Every team is there by right.

The theme of the last 16 has been teams that are very evenly matched facing each other. We expected every game to be tightly contested and every game has been. This will be the same. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses that are well known. Neither defence is overly strong but on the attack these teams can punish mistakes.

Most of the bookies seem to be backing a low-scoring game. I actually think the first 15-20 minutes will dictate this game. Both teams will no doubt secretly be thinking they have the potential to reach the final and this could arguably be their biggest challenge on that route. Will that mean a more cautious approach by both teams? Or will they be aware that for them attack is the best form of defence?

I'm hoping for an open game. I think in sides where they boast two of the finest strikers in the world and wingers with pace it seems insane that they would consider making it a tight and congested game. I can see both teams looking to get the ball wide, playing expansive styles, and I'm quietly optimistic that we could have a belter tonight. I hate to bottle an outright prediction again but I think England could sneak this. Not sure how but it's theirs to lose if you ask me. Not the best odds and probably better if you're betting with a non-English bookie that isn't subjected to patriotic betting.

England to Qualify @ 1.57 with Boylesports

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 2.70 with BetVictor

32 minutes ago, mcsilks said:

I would say that losing to Iceland is 'really poor', but I guess it's all about opinions.

I just don't see where all of the new renewed optimism is about England. Do they look good...really?

I compare this England side to a Burnley in the Premiership. Southgate has made us tough to beat, but we are anything but easy on the eye. Kane aside, we don't have any match winners.

I expect that today's game will see us surrender possession and play a counter attacking style. Columbia will be technically better than we are.

At the time agreed. Iceland have proved to be a lot tougher than people thought, and are ranked 22 now. That England side was awful though, no ideas at all but very early in Southgate's reign. I think England look exciting now, they just have to add killer instinct and mental toughness, but if I'm really honest I think 2022 is when England will be a lot better than now with all those U20 World Cup winners coming through.

Colombia are technically better without doubt, but all South American teams are, they do however all have that fragility about them too. Colombia are without doubt the value bet in the 1x2 market - can't deny that.