** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

progressive betting on tennis? and being banned for it?

Hello,
I am new to betting and to this world in general. So please bear with me if this question is too simple.
But I'd like to know what is your experience with bookmakers closing or limiting your account? And under what conditions this this happen?

I'd like to try a system based on progressive betting (i.e. bet 2, if you lose, bet 4 etc. until you get your invested sum + some minor profit back). I wonder whether strategies based on this simple principle are banned by bookmakers? I know they hate arbing ..where there's no risk to the punter, but here obviously the risk is clear as the line of successive necessary betts ..i.e. progression can be so huge that it it will either bankrupt you or you won't be able to place the next bet (image a team losing 20 time in a row though you're betting on its success). In my case I'd like to bet on tennis..and against tennis players until they lose. Will I be banned for such a strategy?And generally speaking what is your experience with the bookmakers.
Thank you!

Hi there @curiousmind

I don't think that you're going to have any problems with that system in terms of limits/bans unless the stakes get really really high. What's more, there are so many bookies out there that you can always switch to a new one if something goes wrong. The system sounds interesting - I presume that you want to oppose some of the better players in this way?

Actually, the better players are dangerous to oppose. Federer has in the past strung together 40, 41 wins in a row, so did Djokovic and Nadal. So if you oppose them, you can win big, but it can also bankkrupt you.

I am thinking of opposing the players who are good but not good enough to string together 15 wins in a row. This is not a strategy to make much money, just to bet on tennis and make a little profit:). But I do worry that if my bookies see me that I am using this system, they might go against me. The stakes can get actually high at some point...500-600EUR on a match, easily. Is that a lot?

CzechPunter,

thank you for the reply. I'd like to send you a PM message but it seems that I am not allowed to?

(the system says I can send 0 messages per day).

How can I send you a message?

Pokud by Vam to nevadilo, rad bych se jeste zeptal par veci ohledne sazeni na tenis - hlavne na chovani bookies v tomto ohledu.

12 hours ago, curiousmind said:

CzechPunter,

thank you for the reply. I'd like to send you a PM message but it seems that I am not allowed to?

(the system says I can send 0 messages per day).

How can I send you a message?

Pokud by Vam to nevadilo, rad bych se jeste zeptal par veci ohledne sazeni na tenis - hlavne na chovani bookies v tomto ohledu.

PM's kick in after a certain number of posts, this is to protect members against spammers generally, and reward those who contribute. However, @CzechPunter has it spot on. If everyone sent PM's, then the forum wouldn't be as great as it is. They serve a purpose, but the more people involved on the forum, the more everyone learns. ;) 

• 3 months later...

I'd recommend researching Martingale betting before investing too heavily on this strategy if you haven't done so already.

Getting banned by bookmakers is very much dependant upon which bookmaker you're betting with.  I've been banned from Coral for winning small stakes bets (just £1) on correct score set betting (Serena Williams) and Torquay to win (and they did so in injury time).  The 1st thing that's likely to happen is that you'll get an email letting you know that "you're no longer eligible for our offers" (which won't stop them constantly emailing you with offers).  At this point, you'll know your days are numbered.

@curiousmind

the household name bookies really don't like sure bets/arbing, i got banned from marathon and betfred for arbing.

i found that a blessing as i discovered many brilliant smaller bookies my favourite being 22Bet who have an incredible range of bets on any sport although their site is not the easiest to navigate (yet).

as for progressive betting try "the bookies bank" system which is, imo, an excellent low risk way to progressively increase your bank and works very well using odds between 2.5 and 5.0 :ok

https://www.thestakingmachine.com/bookiesbank.php

Edited by yogg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an aside:

I heared a shocking programme on the radio (World Service, I think, and it might still be available) that basically said the lower levels of tennis were fixed - mainly the ITF Tour. Try a Google to " ITF Tour match fixing" or similar. The list of offenders goes on for pages - and it seems to take a few offences to get life banned. Mostly the fixing  will be on spots (number games, sets, etc) rather than the result. Those players are hurting. It tells of sharing hotel rooms, sharing Uber rides or getting the shuttle, washing kit in the bath. Now I'm sure the main ATP Tour is 100% straight. The poor income leads to temptation.