** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cesarewitch 2017

Another big race this weekend and with 34 runners its probably the hardest apart from the grand national .....immense mountain to climb so probably gotta start on it and try to narrow the field to somethin manageable 

Start with no 3yr olds so lose 1 

Lightly raced in recent m onthes ..relatively fresh needed 

No higher than 98 

Top 6 finish last time ...no donkeys required 

I can cull some other no hopers and that has already miraculously reduced the field to 10

possibles!!!! Im amazed by that actually 

Endless acres 

Snow falcon 

Who dares wins 

London prize

Byron flyer

Swash buckle

Dubawi fifty

Isharah

Frederick

Cape caster

now that I've chopped the field I'll pass them through the computer now and post results later

Endless acres and London prize are coming here after 3 -4 month layoffs and I cant bet on that in such competitive race 

Snow falcon is ok but a bit slow and will probably get left behind 

That leaves who dares wins who has had a fantastic prep for this and still looks nicely weighted and Byron flyer who ran a decent race last time in 2nd ...the horses around him that day were rated 98 96 101 so he still looks nicely hcapped off 93 .....priced 12/1and 25/1 currently ewbets in an absolute minefield ???

Who dares wins 10pts e.w 12/1pp

Byron flyer  10pts e.w 25/1 bet365

Endless acres could be dangerous if layoff isn't issue but fir me who dares wins is my fav to win ....could be an apt named horse !!

Edited by richard-westwood

@richard-westwood

Hi mate, just a quick question or three if you dont mind about your ratings

I see the difference between your first five is very small, for example Who Dares Wins has 99.12 and Endless Acres has 99.10.

What is that 0.02 in real terms do you think?  
Would this be a normal gap between runners?
Does the gap determine how strong the selections or is this just a guide for you?

Good luck :ok

1 hour ago, BillyHills said:

@richard-westwood

Hi mate, just a quick question or three if you dont mind about your ratings

I see the difference between your first five is very small, for example Who Dares Wins has 99.12 and Endless Acres has 99.10.

What is that 0.02 in real terms do you think?  
Would this be a normal gap between runners?
Does the gap determine how strong the selections or is this just a guide for you?

Good luck :ok

It is the norm tbh.....I probably should change it but I'm convinced I'd mess something up as its very finely balanced .....in the above set I'd equate that to roughly 4 lengths between who dares wins and Byron flyer but it really is purely a guide .....lets say the last 12 winners of this race were 4yrs or less and London prize was the only one that fitted ....I might give him the benefit of the doubt as he holds form cards and profile cards .....the rating includes hcapped ..speed ...recent form ...and dist form so gives you the complete horses hand ......after that its about value and playing percentages .......it may be that the last 5 winners of a race were all rated 100+ and if only one horse in my top 5 qualify and he's 10/1 I'll play it no qualms at all ...,,so yes its strictly a guide for me 

In the above case I've reversed engineered...I've got strong trends for the race to break it down ....then rate those rather than the whole field ....it works well as long as you only use very strong trends .... only used the 4-5 rated 13/15 or more so roughly 85% probability the winner will fall on the shortlist of 10 .....after that its opinion 

Even if I can place with 34 runners I think that would be a fab result and I'd be well happy 

Equally you could argue that because quite a few winners were 50/1 then the bottom five were of interest and I couldn't criticise anyone thinking that but class ratings  and my instincts tell me its the top half I want to be in 

Interesting fact ....11/14 winners were 9st-1 or less that's Byron flyer downwards.....or Byron flyer alone in top half!!

Edited by richard-westwood

It is a very very tough race to tackle so any way to narrow it down has to be a good thing.....I like to think of mine as a police line up ..and then you have to choose the most "likely" suspect ...that's really how I work race to race ...and its not always right but hopefully if I stick to the high priced ones they cancel out the stinkers and generally they do so it seems to work ......sometimes horses just don't turn up ..I look at results sometimes and finished 22 of 24 ?? And I'm like what ?? ....but I've realised that's just racing and not to take it personally anymore just put a line thru it and move on ....but its just a guide ..how else can u tackle a 34 runner hcap??

Bit of a pin sticker but I needed a runner for a competition so I've gone for Laws of Spin

was tempted by John Constable and particularly Swamp Fox on the basis that they are really well in on their hurdles rating ....... experts usually reckon a 40/45 pound difference would be the norm but Swamp Fox's flat mark is 65 pounds lower than his hurdles mark

needless to say it's not the kind of race I'd ever have a bet on .......... :loon

Im on first mochian e/w at 40/1 with skybet lats night paying 8  places  1/5 odds was 2nd in this last year at 50;s  1lb less this time imo will be very hard to  keep  out of the first 8 not top jump Trainers first sting but thats not a worry to me lesser ones from the yard often run well  well worth a decent e/w play for me.

Good luck all.

3.40 Newmarket: Class 2 Cesarewitch Handicap, 2m 2f

The lottery that is the Cesarewitch stampede along the Rowley Mile - can't remember I ever backed a horse that came even near the eventual winner. Could it be different today? 

I have a sneaky feeling Mark Johnston's tough colt Time To Study is undervalued in this contest. The only three year old in the race, despite a 4lb penalty for a gritty success at Doncaster last month, looks well in off his low weight thanks to WFA. 

How much difference that can make in a 2m 2f contest is a fair question, however the lightly raced colt has been on the upward curve all year long and still had 'only' five starts this year - for a Mark Johnston horse that's on the low end of the scale. 

Time To Study is rather smallish in size, however is all heart as proven in the Mallard Handicap against some tough older opposition a good four weeks ago. Stamina is no issue, the ground, though, may be quick enough. 

Tactically I would be surprised if jockey PJ McDonald doesn't move forward to settle Time To Study close enough to the pace - that should ensure a fair run, if anything. 

Selection:
10pts win - Time To Study @ 14/1 Bet365

On 10/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, richard-westwood said:

Endless acres and London prize are coming here after 3 -4 month layoffs and I cant bet on that in such competitive race 

Snow falcon is ok but a bit slow and will probably get left behind 

That leaves who dares wins who has had a fantastic prep for this and still looks nicely weighted and Byron flyer who ran a decent race last time in 2nd ...the horses around him that day were rated 98 96 101 so he still looks nicely hcapped off 93 .....priced 12/1and 25/1 currently ewbets in an absolute minefield ???

Who dares wins 10pts e.w 12/1pp

Byron flyer  10pts e.w 25/1 bet365

Endless acres could be dangerous if layoff isn't issue but fir me who dares wins is my fav to win ....could be an apt named horse !!

Byron flyer 7th so get paid ew !! ....72 pts returned ....can't complain at that