** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Masters - 2017 (April 6th-9th)

BillyHills

The first big tournament of the season starts next Thursday at Augusta National

Who do you fancy this year? Will we have another European victory?

Who can stop Dustin Johnson who is in the form of his life?

Can anybody outside of the big 4 cause an upset?

Thoughts..............

Latest prices with Bet365

58decb54d7ae7_ScreenShot2017-03-31at22.3

:ok

Trends from Dave Tindall at Betfair

For each of the last 10 winners, I've listed the following categories that were correct at the time of their victory - age, world ranking, how many Masters they'd played, best finish at Augusta, Masters finish the previous year and best result they'd recorded that season.

2016 - Danny Willett (Age: 28, WR: 12th, Played: 1, Masters Best: 38th, Previous year: 38th, 2016 Best: Win)

2015 - Jordan Spieth (Age: 21, WR: 4th, Played: 1, Masters Best: 2nd, Previous year: 2nd, 2015 Best: Win)

2014 - Bubba Watson (Age: 35, WR: 12th, Played: 5, Masters Best: Win, Previous year: 50th, 2014 Best: Win)

2013 - Adam Scott (Age: 32, WR: 7th, Played: 11, Masters Best: 2nd, Low 18: 67, Previous year: 8th, 2013 Best: T3)

2012 - Bubba Watson (Age: 33, WR: 18th, Played: 3, Masters Best: 20th, Low 18: 67, Previous year: 38th, 2012 Best: 2nd)

2011 - Charl Schwartzel (Age: 26, WR: 29th, Played: 1, Masters Best: 30th, Low 18: 69, Previous year: 30th, 2011 Best: Win)

2010 - Phil Mickelson (Age: 39, WR: 3rd, Played: 17, Masters Best: Win, Low 18: 65, Previous year: 5th, 2010 Best: T8)

2009 - Angel Cabrera (Age: 39, WR: 69th, Played: 9, Masters Best: 8th, Previous year: 25th, 2009 Best: T9)

2008 - Trevor Immelman (Age: 28, WR: 29th, Played: 5, Masters Best: 5th, Previous year: 55th, 2008 Best: T17)

2007 - Zach Johnson (Age: 31, WR: 56th, Played: 2, Masters Best: 32nd, Previous year: 32nd, 2007 Best: T9)

Winners trends
- 6 of last 10 were in their 30s
- 10 of last 10 were aged under 40
- 8 of last 10 were aged 35 or under

- 6 of last 10 had been ranked in world's top 20
- 8 of last 10 had been ranked in world's top 30

- 5 of last 10 had played in at least 5 Masters
- 6 of last 10 had played in at least 3 Masters
- 10 of last 10 had played in at least 1 Masters

- 2 of last 10 had won it before
- 6 of last 10 had posted a top 10 at Augusta
- 7 of last 10 had posted a top 20 at Augusta
- 10 of last 10 had posted a top 38 at Augusta

- 10 of last 10 had made the cut at Augusta the previous year

- 4 of last 10 had already won earlier that season
- 6 of last 10 had posted a top 3 earlier that season
- 9 of last 10 had posted a top 10 earlier that season

- 9 of last 10 winners were not European

- 10 of last 10 winners were not the defending champion

- 10 of last 10 winners were not the World No.1

Most powerful qualification criteria
(Each of the below apply to at least 8 of the last 10 Masters winners)

- Not aged over 35 
- Ranked in world's top 30
- Played in at least one Masters
- Had top 40 at Augusta
- Made the cut at Augusta the previous year
- Posted a top 10 earlier that season
- Not European
- Not the defending champion
- Not World No.1

Qualifiers

There are just six players who clear these statistical hurdles. They are: Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka and Louis Oosthuizen.

Current form
A look at the last 10 winners shows that eight had finished in the top 30 in at least one of their two starts before arriving at Augusta National.
That means it's time to get shot of Hideki Matsuyama, who has gone off the boil with a group exit in the WGC-Dell Match Play and T45 at Bay Hill. The same applies to Justin Thomas (39-MC).

Rounds played

Augusta prep is crucial and 9 of the last 10 Masters winners had played six, seven or eight pre-Augusta tournaments that year and between 19 and 30 rounds.

Jason Day has completed only 18 rounds and history says he's undercooked so, in this preview at least, the stats are ruthless and out he goes. Rory is already out but the same would apply to him given that he's teed it up in just four events and played only 15 rounds.

If Jordan Spieth plays all four days in Houston next week, he'll have played 31 rounds which puts him outside the qualifying mark too.

Starting prices

DJ, McIlroy, Day and Matsuyama have already been eliminated but here's another stat that goes against them:
- 8 of the last 10 Masters winners had an SP of 20/1 of higher. Yep, Bubba (twice) and Adam Scott were both bigger than that
So, even if Spieth does have the weekend off in Houston, this stat gets rid of him.
A quick note on Dustin Johnson. No player has gone into the Masters as World No.1 and taken the Green Jacket since Tiger in 2002. Also, no player has won four events in a row since Tiger in 2008. DJ's streak is three after his wins in the Genesis Open, WGC-Mexico Championship and WGC-Dell Match Play.

It means just two players survive.

Conclusion

If the trends play out, your Masters winner this year is either Louis Oostuizen or Brooks Koepka.
South African Oosthuizen is 34-years-old, ranked World No.28 and has played in eight Masters, finishing runner-up in 2012 and making the top 25 in each of the last three years (25-19-15). He has two top fives this season (Phoenix, World Super 6 Perth) and posted T28 at Bay Hill two starts ago and officially T17 at the WGC-Dell Match Play where he was the joint best group stage loser after winning two of his three games.

Koepka is 26, American and sits 25th in the world rankings. He was T9 in the WGC-Dell Match Play on his latest start after winning all three group games before a last 16 exit. He's posted T33 (2015) and T21 (2016) in his two Masters.

Brooks Koepka 80/1 EW  Stan James (first 7)
Louis Oostuizen 55/1 EW Skybet (first 8)

Augusta is actually a pretty precise exercise. No defending champion, no defending World Number, no course debutants and players with plenty of height with their approach shots and the balls to Go for the Green on par-5s. I'm talking about actual winners here rather than each way places for all those interested in Rahm, Hatton, Hadwin, Pieters, Noren etc. I would have said drawers of the golf ball as well before recent developments and Danny Willett who has a pre-sominate fade won here 12 months ago. When the wind is up, faders can and straight drivers can be competitive. 

2017 looks a particularly messy tournament weather-wise. It's set to rain lots in the build-up to the event making the course softer than organisers would want. Think -18 with Jordan Spieth in 2015. But strong wind is set to save them and make scoring difficult over Thursday and Friday.

I like Spieth (8/1), Rose (25/1 8ew 1/4 odds), Leishman (60/1 8ew 1/4 odds) and Berger (80/1 8ew 1/4 odds) 

Side Markets

Top Former Winner

Jordon Spieth 11/10 Bet365
Won here before and finsihed 2nd twice. Comes into the tournamnet in good nick and this market looks to have Watson, Mickelson and Scott to beat so 11/10 looks fair to me.

Top Australian 

Jason Day 11/10 Skybet
Probably a match between Day and Scott. I know we have the emotion of Jason Day and his mother's ilness but he will want to come and play for her if nothing else. He's an emotional guy anyway and seems to pull out extra in the majors. Scott on the other hand played poorly last week and he's bad value at 13/8.

Top GB / Ireland

Paul Casey EW 8/1 Bet365
Casey is pretty solid around here and has finished top 6 for the last two years. Anything like that should see him go close in this market. McIlroy is the short priced favourite and he could do anything from win to miss the cut so worth including the Irish and going for this market rather than the Top Englishman version and take the shorter 5/1.

Top Spaniard

Sergio Garcia 7/4 BetVictor
Surprisingly decent odds for Garcia, he's usually odds on for top Spanish player but we have Jon Rahm on the scene this time round. Done superbly well already in his short career but playing here at Augusta for the first time will be interesting to say the least. He's odds on in places and no value to me.

Top South African

Louis Oosthuizen 6/4 BetVictor
Process of elimination here with the 5 South Africans. You cant seriously back Els or Immelman and Grace has missed all 3 cuts at Augusta in his career. Schwartzel is not in the form of his life and has done nothing in the Majors since 2011 when he was gifted the title by McIlroy. Louis is at least playing well, came second here to Bubba so knows his way around.

Outright Market

Ive looked and looked at the field this year and I cant honestly feel confident about anyone outside of the top half dozen in the betting. I'll be very surprised if we get a shock result this season. There may be some value in the Top 10 market or similar but for the outright bet i'm going to have to be pretty boring and plump for the World Number 1 Dustin Johnson.

I'm a firm believer that current form and familiarity are two things that count for an awful lot in Golf, confidence is a key factor and no one can be as confident at the minute than Johnson. It's a bit like when Tiger was dominating the sport and you would never get anything like the odds we can get on DJ here. Woods was starting the Majors at 2/1!

Johnson has the game for Augusta and has proved that with 2 top 6 finishes in his last two outings here. The difference this time is he knows he can finish the job where as before he has thrown the odd title away close home.

I wouldn't put anyone off Jordon Spieth or Rory for that matter but the solid option has to be Dustin Johnson

Dustin Johnson 7/1 EW Stan James (first 7)

My last bet this year is one that caught my eye as I was looking at the side markets, Some bookies are betting without Johnson, Spieth and McIlroy. This interests me as I quite like the chances of Brandt Snedeker and think he can go well this week. I think he is over priced here and worth a nibble EW. He's only 10pts higher to win outright so looks like a bit of value.

Brandt Snedeker (W/O Big Three) EW 40/1 Stan James (first 5)

Really looking forward to The Masters very confident that come Sunday night  Rory Mcilroy will be putting on his first Green Jacket! Have got him e/w at 8/1 with skybet 1/4  8 places cants see hi not being in thr top 8,  also on him at 50/1 to win wire to wire. My anti posts bets for this have been MATSUYAMA @ 33/1 FOWLER 40/1 also went in again on Fowler @ 25/1 eI//w skybet 8 places and got him just before Christmas @ 10/1 to win a major in 2017.  Have backed DUSTIN JOHNSON to miss the cut  @ 6/1 (  has gone 13/2 with WH) dont fancy him at all. Spieth is a big danger but too short to back. Hopefully  come Sunday the final pairing will be Rory  & Ricki now wouldnt that be fun!!!

Good Luck All

Hideki Matsuyama first round leader 20/1 paddy power

I like this price as he is capable of producing a good round round here. He has improved a lot since last year and he is starting to look like a potential major winner

Marc Leishman first round leader 50/1 paddy power

He is playing well this year and recently won the Honda Classic and has a good record round this place

Edited by owenclass

Bad weather for the later players its looks like, winds up to 40mph

Johnson and McIlroy out late which is not good news.

Ted might get lucky on his miss the cut pick though?

Day and Speith have got the best of the draw on day 1 if the forecast is right , lets hope the wether improves.

Well day one was a bit of a let down.

Johnson doesn't play so at least i get a return:lol

Most of my other bets are still alive for now. Hopeful of Garcia and Casey bets at this stage.

McIlroy recovered a little to keep Ted's hopes alive and Westwood doing well once again for Steves top 6 finish.

Latest odds with Bet365

58e744c3921c6_ScreenShot2017-04-07at08.5

Jordan Spieth to win The Masters 7/2 paddy power

I think this could be the time where he manages to forget what happened last year and to come out on top this year as he will be so determined to win it as last years loss must have hurt him

A Playoff in the Masters 4/1 paddy power

The way it is going i think it could be a playoff as there not much between the four players at the top of the leaderboard and i cant see anyone running away with it

Hole in One in the final round 2/1 paddy power

There have been quite a few hole in ones in the final round of the Masters and it would not surprise me if there is another one tonight

Tournament Specials

Spieth, Mcilroy, Fowler, Garcia and Rose to all finish in the Top Ten 5/2 paddy power

I fancy this bet as these five are some of the best players in the world and i would think they will play their best in the final round

Edited by owenclass

Well what a great tournament and we had some winners too:clap

On 03/04/2017, 16:11:50, Bamford said:

I like Spieth (8/1), Rose (25/1 8ew 1/4 odds), Leishman (60/1 8ew 1/4 odds) and Berger (80/1 8ew 1/4 odds) 

On 03/04/2017, 19:48:27, BillyHills said:

Side Markets

Top GB / Ireland

Paul Casey EW 8/1 Bet365
Casey is pretty solid around here and has finished top 6 for the last two years. Anything like that should see him go close in this market. McIlroy is the short priced favourite and he could do anything from win to miss the cut so worth including the Irish and going for this market rather than the Top Englishman version and take the shorter 5/1.

Top Spaniard

Sergio Garcia 7/4 BetVictor
Surprisingly decent odds for Garcia, he's usually odds on for top Spanish player but we have Jon Rahm on the scene this time round. Done superbly well already in his short career but playing here at Augusta for the first time will be interesting to say the least. He's odds on in places and no value to me.

15 hours ago, owenclass said:

A Playoff in the Masters 4/1 paddy power

The way it is going i think it could be a playoff as there not much between the four players at the top of the leaderboard and i cant see anyone running away with it

Hole in One in the final round 2/1 paddy power

There have been quite a few hole in ones in the final round of the Masters and it would not surprise me if there is another one tonight

:clap