September Cups

Sir Puntalot

These games scare me. Nothing is known about the team/combination the managers put out. How can you predict anything ?

Is the manager playing his best 11 or is he resting people. ie. Do Newcastle care about the Cup, or are they really only focused on getting back into the premier league ? What kind of team will Rineiri put out against Chelsea ?

What will Jose do ... he surely expects whatever team he puts out to beat Northampton, but its a double edged sword. Everyone he plays in this game gets the 'I'm second rate feeling', so they start off demotivated and pissed off . Hopefully he pulls the trigger and experiments a little with his starting line up and formation.

These games are landmines !

Yeah, I agree @neilovan. It's made even worse by the fact the bookies don't reflect this uncertainty in their odds as much as they should. They still treat them as normal matches. I think the more the tournament progresses, the more seriously teams take it. This round is awkward though. I'd probably suspect weakened teams might be favoured but Championship sides might start putting some more experienced heads in there now. Premier League teams will still be playing their back-up sides though.

In the games listed above I am really struggling to pick any that are value for money. Even the likes of Everton, Liverpool, and Stoke who you might expect to win at home against lower placed opposition are facing sides that could cause them problems. Right now, I wouldn't even back West Ham to beat Accrington Stanley at home! In fact, in terms of upsets, I think Derby, Nottingham Forest, Northampton, and Accrington Stanley are looking very tempting at their odds.

England League Cup: AFC Bournemouth - Preston North End

I got a very close up look at Preston North End on Saturday, I have to be honest and say that they did not deserve to lose 5-0 to the mighty, mighty Bees, but overall, they played just about where I ranked them ahead of the game, which is definitely below last season's 11th place finish . They have some very big clubs (by Championship standards) below and immediately above them in the table, they could quickly get into real trouble and this is not a league in which it is easy to play catch up, games being ultra competitive, with no easy fixtures and they have a vital "bottom six" clash with local rivals Wigan Athletic (stadiums are just 30 minutes apart) on FRIDAY night and that surely has to take priority.

So, PNE played at Griffin Park on Saturday, where they were eventually run ragged, now make an even longer trip down to the South Coast on Tuesday on face a Premier League side and play a game in front of the television cameras that they dare not lose in three days time !

I spoke about the pressure that Simon Grayson was under last week, but he knows that it has to be all about the league and he made 11 changes for the last EFL cup tie and is very likely to go down a similar route this evening. His team started both halves strongly on Saturday and if they had equalised at 0-1 (huge save from Bentley in the Brentford goal, it could have been a different story..... see, I can be unbiased !) but collapsed once the second goal was conceded and the Bees ran riot.

I assume Bournemouth will rotate too, but they have a very strong squad and can field two largely similar first teams IMO. Easy home win !

Bournemouth -1 ball 2.06 asian line/Sportmarket

from Clubgowi newsletter

3 hours ago, clubgowi said:

England League Cup: AFC Bournemouth - Preston North End

I got a very close up look at Preston North End on Saturday, I have to be honest and say that they did not deserve to lose 5-0 to the mighty, mighty Bees, but overall, they played just about where I ranked them ahead of the game, which is definitely below last season's 11th place finish . They have some very big clubs (by Championship standards) below and immediately above them in the table, they could quickly get into real trouble and this is not a league in which it is easy to play catch up, games being ultra competitive, with no easy fixtures and they have a vital "bottom six" clash with local rivals Wigan Athletic (stadiums are just 30 minutes apart) on FRIDAY night and that surely has to take priority.

So, PNE played at Griffin Park on Saturday, where they were eventually run ragged, now make an even longer trip down to the South Coast on Tuesday on face a Premier League side and play a game in front of the television cameras that they dare not lose in three days time !

I spoke about the pressure that Simon Grayson was under last week, but he knows that it has to be all about the league and he made 11 changes for the last EFL cup tie and is very likely to go down a similar route this evening. His team started both halves strongly on Saturday and if they had equalised at 0-1 (huge save from Bentley in the Brentford goal, it could have been a different story..... see, I can be unbiased !) but collapsed once the second goal was conceded and the Bees ran riot.

I assume Bournemouth will rotate too, but they have a very strong squad and can field two largely similar first teams IMO. Easy home win !

Bournemouth -1 ball 2.06 asian line/Sportmarket

from Clubgowi newsletter

Yeah, I can't see Preston coming away with anything here. I have not been impressed by them this season at all. Bournemouth are likely to play a weakened side but even their back up players are proven solid Championship level players who could do a job on most teams. Is -1 too much? I actually don't think so. Best of luck with that @clubgowi!

8 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, I agree @neilovan. It's made even worse by the fact that the bookies don't reflect this uncertainty in their odds as much as they should. They still treat them as normal matches. I think the more the tournament progresses, the more seriously teams take it. This round is awkward though. I'd probably suspect weakened teams might be favoured but Championship sides might start putting some more experienced heads in there now. Premier League teams will still be playing their back-up sides though.

In the games listed above I am really struggling to pick any that are value for money. Even the likes of Everton, Liverpool, and Stoke who you might expect to win at home against lower placed opposition are facing sides that could cause them problems. Right now, I wouldn't even back West Ham to beat Accrington Stanley at home! In fact, in terms of upsets, I think Derby, Nottingham Forest, Northampton, and Accrington Stanley are looking very tempting at their odds.

Exactly why this is a goldmine, not a land mine. Games are priced up normally in abnormal circumstances. No matter who plays or doesn't, underdogs are far more motivated for the silverware. 

I am on Leicester to win here at 4.26. L haven't convinced yet but have been solid at home, and this is a lot of value for a home match.

1 hour ago, allthethings said:

Exactly why this is a goldmine, not a land mine. Games are priced up normally in abnormal circumstances. No matter who plays or doesn't, underdogs are far more motivated for the silverware. 

I am on Leicester to win here at 4.26. L haven't convinced yet but have been solid at home, and this is a lot of value for a home match.

The pint half full or half empty theory and you raise a good point! The Leicester call is looking good so far! Okazaki hat trick via in-play anyone?

Southampton v Crystal Palace

(Both coaches will make some changes.)

Southampton: Jay Rodriguez (3/1 f), Sofiane Boufal (0/0 m), Jeremy Pied (1/0 m)

Crystal Palace: Joe Ledley (3/0 m), Yohan Cabaye (3/0 m)(both doubtful), Pape Souare (3/0 d), Fraizer Campbell (0/0 f), Loic Rémy (0/0 f), James Tomkins (2/1 d)

Swansea City v Manchester City

(Both coaches will make some changes.)

Swansea City: Nathan Dyer (1/0 m)

Manchester City: David Silva (4/0 m, doubtful), Nolito (5/2 f, suspended), Sergio Agüero (3/3 f, top scorer, suspended), Fabian Delph (2/0 m), Fernando (2/0 m), Yaya Toure (0/0 m)

Daily updated injuries and suspensions information from more then 100 football leagues and competitions at: www.injuriesandsuspensions.com

13 hours ago, bankomatik said:

Swansea City v Manchester City

Hi Guys;

İ am sure that match will be to both team make score.

Both Team to score %88.

You could be right. Both teams likely to make a fair few changes resulting in potential issues across the pitch. A 2-1 win for City perhaps? Maybe even 3-1. I'm keen to see who City opt to play up top.

Anyone fancy Accrington Stanley to shock West Ham? The Hammers defence is a shambles at the moment and any team with a defence that weak is prone to being taken apart.

On September 20, 2016 at 3:41:49 AM, StevieDay1983 said:

Yeah, I agree @neilovan. It's made even worse by the fact that the bookies don't reflect this uncertainty in their odds as much as they should. They still treat them as normal matches. I think the more the tournament progresses, the more seriously teams take it. This round is awkward though. I'd probably suspect weakened teams might be favoured but Championship sides might start putting some more experienced heads in there now. Premier League teams will still be playing their back-up sides though.

This mf'er keeps wanting to quote things, can't just post.

Anyhow, tonight's live dog is Hull, and I've taken them @ 4.78 at Stoke. Hope to get a bit better luck than last night.