Non-League 10th September

Darran

Dover v Forest Green Rovers

Quite why BT Sport thought it was a good idea trying to compete with the Glasgow and Manchester Derbies I don’t know, but this game is live on BT at 12.15pm. I’m really interested to see how Forest Green get on and I think they are worth backing. As I said last week they really have hit their stride now and even though they weren’t impressive in their first three wins, they have looked impressive in their last 3. Granted they only beat Chester 2-1 last weekend, but they were very comfortable and they should have won by more. Dover have shown glimpses of last season’s form when they got to the play-offs (losing to FGR in the semi-finals), but they have also struggled at times, with the 4-1 loss to Boreham Wood being the pick of those. They look just the sort of side who could give any team in the division a strong test at their best, but will end the season in mid-table as they lack consistency. Forest Green should be favourites for this and I was surprised to see 2/1 (Bet 365 and Marathon) available. It certainly isn’t a gimmie for the away side, but that price is just too big not to take advantage of.

Aldershot v Chester

I suspect every tipster going will be tipping up Aldershot this week because they are the obvious bet of the week. Aldershot are 4/4 at home having scored 8 and conceded just once with that goal being scored by Tranmere last week. Tranmere were probably a little unlucky not to get something from the game, but to be fair it was still an impressive performance from Aldershot. They now need to follow that up by beating a Chester side who have only managed one point in four away games so far and that came thanks to a wonder goal at Boreham Wood. Indeed apart from Chester’s two big wins at home they have looked pretty poor so far this season. Obvious bets don’t always win and I don’t always like tipping them up, but at the end of the day the 5/6 (Ladbrokes and Bet Victor) looks a massive price and I would have them in the 8/13 area so I have to get involved.

Eastleigh v Southport

Eastleigh weren’t at their best last weekend against North Ferriby, but then they didn’t really need to be and they covered the -1 handicap for us by winning 2-0. I am putting up the same bet again this weekend as they host a mangerless Southport side who have conceded 15 and scored just twice in losing all 4 away games so far. Southport are now looking for their 9th manager in 3 years and they really need to get the appointment right if they are to survive in this division. In the short term though it is hard to see them getting anything out of this and Eastleigh should cover the -1 handicap again. Paddy Power go 11/10 about them doing so.

Alfreton v Harrogate

They have been a staggering 40 goals in Alrefton’s last 6 matches which averages out at nearly 7 goals a game! On those stats I certainly wouldn’t put anyone off betting on goals again in this one, but the bet I am putting up is Harrogate to win at a huge 31/20. Alfreton have lost 4 of those 6 games and they are struggling to fill the bench. They had just two subs last Saturday and only three in their 5-3 defeat at Worcester on Tuesday night. Harrogate are still unbeaten and bar a 94 minute penalty from Curzon last Saturday, they would have won their last 6 games. They have got a very good side this season and look sure to be in the promotion hunt in what is a very tough National League North this season. I make them odds on shots to win this so at the price they look the best bet of the weekend. There will probably be plenty of goals, but I will take a 1-0 away win!

5 hours ago, addpea said:

Steve Burr has been announced as new Southport manager although not sure it will make too much difference for Saturday.

To be fair he knows the non league circuit but appears to have become some kind of journeyman manager, granted he has had a bit of success but he has his work cut out at Southport, they cannot, whatever they do, cut it at Conference National level.

I think it is a good appointment for them and it is early enough in the season for them to turn it around. Just look at Torquay who looked doomed for most of the season last term and Jim Harvey nearly topped that by nearly keeping Halifax up although winning the FA Trophy was still a great feat given what they were like when he took over. Tough task but there are enough poor teams in the league that it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed up.

I'm liking addpeas harrogate bet against a very porous alfreton, bet of the day for me, will also be on a couple of speculative bets, Harrogate win and btts and Harrogate win and over 4 match goals

North Ferriby are battling well and putting in some hard working performances but struggling to score so if Maidstone are at it Saturday I fancy them to win at 6-5

Solihull had a decent start to the season which surprised me tbh but I think they had a kind set of fixtures on the whole which helped, I think they will struggle to stay up eventually and Dagenham although frustratingly inconsistent are worth taking at 6-5 if they're anywhere near full strength, they had some influential players missing against boreham wood apparently

Edited by bromsgrovegreen
mistake

51 minutes ago, bromsgrovegreen said:

I'm liking addpeas harrogate bet against a very porous alfreton, bet of the day for me, will also be on a couple of speculative bets, Harrogate win and btts and Harrogate win and over 4 match goals

North Ferriby are battling well and putting in some hard working performances but struggling to score so if Maidstone are at it Saturday I fancy them to win at 6-5

Solihull had a decent start to the season which surprised me tbh but I think they had a kind set of fixtures on the whole which helped, I think they will struggle to stay up eventually and Dagenham although frustratingly inconsistent are worth taking at 6-5 if they're anywhere near full strength, they had some influential players missing against boreham wood apparently

On the face of it Maidstone do look a good price, but North Ferriby have actually been very tough to beat at home and Barrow only beat them in the last minute in their previous home game. They have clearly set up to gain as many points at home as possible and hope that it is enough to see them stay up.

5 hours ago, sap said:

I fancy salford(on a very outstanding form),Darlington(can overcome that opponent and price is generous),tonbridge(also in good trend).

Can barrow have a chance?

Given Boreham Wood's away form it isn't a bet I would want to be having.