Weekly NAP Competition, Day 4, Wednesday 8th July 2015

4.00 Catt Saltarello win 14/1 bet365 Think this one will do better now upped to 7f , 6f looks too short and a mile stretches it so back down a furlong from lto should help and best races have been at this distance on gd ground. Seems to be on a good mark , one of two for trainer on the card and although she is better with older horses , has managed 1 win from 14 and 3 more places with her 3yos , Lynch takes the ride and has only had one career ride for trainer , resulting in a win.

5.00 Catterick: Sugar Town 8/1 Hills Cant remember such poor meetings all on one day before, its the middle of summer and we get 2 AW meetings and Bath who cant water so its like concrete. Anyway i'm plumping for the 7f event at Catterick, mainly because Graham Lee rides Sugar Town for his pal Peter Niven. They are drawn well in stall 5, its interesting that the first 5 in the betting are all drawn 7 or lower, such is the bias here over 7f. Ran 5th at Thirsk last time and will be all the better for that run, fair price.

L3.40 Opus Too 20/1 Bet365 This one has been drifting like the proverbial barge all morning but I'm going to stick with it. The key here for me is the trip and the jockey. The horse has only raced once at this trip and only raced once under this jockey which combined to result in a close 2nd beaten less than a length of just a 1lb higher mark. That entitles the horse to go very close here and if the first time tongue tie brings about any improvement, then the 20/1 looks too big.

6.50 kemp - Pivot Point - win at 20/1 bog wm hill class 6 mile handicap my selection takes a drop in class having fallen in the weights is still a maiden and has finished 2nd a few times so there is a doubt as to whether he's up for it but comes from a fairly big yard and is having his 3rd run of the year after getting a bit closer last time

Kempton 7:20 Showtime Blues @ 50/1 paddypower e/w Thanks Showtime Blues......from Amanda Perrett yard the 3yo seems to have lost his way after looking promising as a 2yo having both races at Kempton AW 6f and 7f winning its 2nd race by 2.75 lengths in December last year, The yard ran it in January here over 8f as 3yo when he finished last of 4 runners and then had him put away for a winter break , With him running 3 different distance so far on AW the yard brought it back here in June and tried it back over the 7f AW where another poor show, The yard 25days ago sent him out for his first turf race at Sandown 7f GF a race where it was always at back and 2f out it struggled to keep up and finished 25 lengths behind winner, With the horse having the 5 runs so far in his career 4 AW Kempton and 1 Turf Sandown. it looks to me the yard have went back to the drawing board to know what to do with him as its only turf race was a disaster and bring it back to Kempton AW for his 5th race here , Although after that win he got a 81 mark he is now down to 75 with the yard bring a new jockey Joe Fanning in to ride him with blinkers on horse for the first time ,

3.40 lingfield beaver creek has no chance at all on form,but is still fairly lightly raced and steps up 6 furlongs in trip, which could suit much better. jockey also takes 7lb off a very low weight, so i guess its a case of 'if not today, then fuck knows'. massive odds, so i feel worth taking the chance the trip brings out enough improvement to get involved in the finish of this. 0.5pts ew 50/1 bet365 bog

Earlier one a NR. 3.40 Lingfield: Sakhra 10/1 bet365 Not many of these been running on turf so i'll take a chance on Sakhra who led for a long way last time out on ground that wouldn't have been ideal. Hopefully he can improve on this quick ground and is a fair price to do so.

6.50 kemp - Pivot Point - win at 20/1 bog wm hill
Non runner.......I'll go with this one Kemp 7.50 - Dalalah - ew at 25/1 bog wm hill 2yo maiden My horse comes from the Varian yard. Their 2yo have been coming on a lot for their first runs and this one ran down the field at Haydock last month drawn OK and most of tonights' runners don't look much kop apart from the favourite