*NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 in Prizes ~ Rules

The Nap of the Day competition will finish at the end of April and will be replaced by a brand new weekly competition. The main points about the new competition is that it will run from Sunday to Saturday each week. No losses will be incurred for losers and no minimum bet requirement for the cash prize of £50 each week. Full rules; Weekly Naps Competition · The competition will be run over 7 days, starting on Sunday and ending on Saturday. · The winner will be the tipster with the most accumulated profit over the seven days. · No losses will be incurred for losers. · Reasoning is PREFERRED bot not required for all bets (All reasoning must be the authors original copy) · If reasoning is included in all of the selections (min. 20 words) any prize money won will be increased by 50%. · STRICTLY no editing of posts containing tips, if you need to correct something do it in another post, any late edits will result in disqualification from the competition. · 1 bet per day, Max. If more than one is posted they will be void unless a main pick is specified by the poster. · No minimum bet requirement to qualify for prizes. · Any race can be selected as long as it is covered by the Racing Post and appears on Odds Comparison or Oddschecker. · Reserves will be allowed in case of doubts about original selection running. · All bets posted must be at least 10 mins before the race time (no exceptions) and include the Time, Course, Price and Selection. · Early prices can be taken but must be available at the time of the post in the competition thread, these will be checked and if the price was not available SP will be used. · Prices can't be changed once posted and must be in the original post, the first price taken is the only one that will count, all edits can be seen by moderators. · Any bets with no price quoted or bookmaker stated will be taken at SP. · No Exchange Prices are allowed. · R4 5p and 10p will be waived for the purpose of the competition. If a R4 deduction takes the price less than the SP then the bet will revert to the SP. · Bookies allowed are: >Bet365 , Skybet , Betfred , Betvictor , Coral, Stan James , Paddy Power , Ladbrokes , William Hill , Boylesports, Sportingbet. · Best Odds Guaranteed is allowed at the following bookies only; · Bet365 , Boylesports , Betfred , Betvictor , Paddy Power , Skybet , Stan James , Coral , Ladbrokes (from 9am), and Hills. · You may choose a 1pt win bet or a 0.5pt Each Way bet. If you do not state a bet type, it will be entered as a 1pt win bet. · Prize Money (as of 17/5/15)

• £25 to the winner
  • £15 to the second
  • £10 to the third

ALLOW UP TO 14 DAYS FOR PAYMENT (Will be a lot earlier most of the time) · You will need a Skrill account, click here to sign up and get one.?? · ?Claiming your prize?? Email [email protected] with your skrill email address, amount of prize you're claiming and your PL username. You have 7 days to do so. :ok

Edited by BillyHills

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Starts Sunday May 3rd Yes mate, fresh start and still £200 per month in cash prizes. We lost a lot of interest towards the end of the month so by keeping it short and sweet we hope to solve that. More chances to win, which has to be good for the members! We will continue to run the other comps during the Festivals, Punchestown coming up soon!

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Starts Sunday May 3rd Cheers BH, looks interesting ! I think there is a tendency with the monthly comp to just go through the motions for the last week or two if you feel you're not in contention..........I'm guilty of that for sure.......:unsure I just wonder if a weekly competition will put more emphasis on people trying to land that 50/1 shot and count against the steady accumulators and high strike rate punters Be interesting to see how it pans out........at least if someone does land a 50/1 shot you've only got a few days to wait for the new comp !...........:rollin and who knows........it might be me with the 50/1 winner........:D

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Starts Sunday May 3rd

Yes mate, fresh start and still £200 per month in cash prizes. We lost a lot of interest towards the end of the month so by keeping it short and sweet we hope to solve that. More chances to win, which has to be good for the members! We will continue to run the other comps during the Festivals, Punchestown coming up soon!
makes sense, and with great prizes on offer whats not to like!!! and as the guys above have mentioned this should be really exiting,and could get a bit more competitive

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Starts Sunday May 3rd Yes, the tactics will be interesting and the most important thing is that it doesnt exclude anyone from trying to win. You can turn up on the last day and give it a whirl in one of the big Saturday handicaps. Very little commitment required and i know plenty of you guys like trying to tip a big priced winner. Do you take 7 chances to nail a big winner or take the steady route and bag a couple of fav's??

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Starts Sunday May 3rd I agree that a weekly comp will keep everyone interested. However, i still think reasoning should be compulsary. I have said it before and was told people would lose interest and the numbers would be down. There are not many forums (if any) that give away the sort of cash punters lounge do and if people cant be bothered to put reasoning behind there selections then in my opinion they should post elsewhere. I think no reasoning encourages "lucky dip" punters and i think this forum is to good for that. I like to follow the tips on here but its extremely difficult when you don't know if people have actually done there homework or just shut there eyes and stuck a pen in....... Maybe try a month making reasoning compulsary and see what happens????? Anyway, thanks again for putting on a great comp and offering great prizes.

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules But we had years where reasoning 'was' compulsory and presumably it was changed because the site wanted to attract more people Making it harder for people to enter the competitions is not going to attract more people !

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules A suggestion...... Instead of having all the prize money for the winner, how about spreading it a little to have a 2nd prize, maybe a 3rd ? So when someone lands 'the big one' it doesn't inevitably kill the competition for the week......there'd still be something to play for

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules Give it time guys.............. We obviously did think about the prize structure, my view is we don't want to water it down too much so its not worth entering for. As far as reasoning goes; i don't want to force people to write the same old, same old lines everyday. "Yard in form, jockey in form, goes on the ground, well handicapped" This is what will happen i can assure you. I prefer to read stuff which has had a bit of effort put into it.

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules I know that this discussion wouldn't be happening if the price of that horse yesterday had been 10/1 and for what its worth I agree about the reasoning in some respects. Sometimes I DO put my reasoning down (check my previous entries) and other times I don't have the time or the inclination as its not necessary. Truth is, I and some others didn't bother to spend time on this before when reasoning was compulsory so you have to decide if you want quality or quantity. Anyone can put up an outsider and get lucky every now and then but I don't think it will happen that often.

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules I am 100% for quality over quantity..... I think some of u have missed my point. For selfish reasons I would like to see reasoning as I like to follow tips on here to actually bet On and not just for the comp. when there is no reasonings I find it hard to take a selections seriously as I dont know the thought process of the person selecting the tip. It then gives me the option to agree with the selection or not. It would aslo show me if I had missed something when making my selections..... I'm sure there are other people on here who use the site to help with there punting and not just posting for comp purposes...... Again, I will repeat what I said before, this site is the best out there and the mods do a great job and giving away £50 every wk is fantastic, I just think if people cant be bothered to post reasoning then don't bother at all..... It's then down to the reader to use that reasoning or discount it as the " same old thing" as Hills says..... Cracking selection Mr Benn by the way wish I had followed u...

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules

I am 100% for quality over quantity..... I think some of u have missed my point. For selfish reasons I would like to see reasoning as I like to follow tips on here to actually bet On and not just for the comp. when there is no reasonings I find it hard to take a selections seriously as I dont know the thought process of the person selecting the tip. It then gives me the option to agree with the selection or not. It would aslo show me if I had missed something when making my selections..... I'm sure there are other people on here who use the site to help with there punting and not just posting for comp purposes...... Again, I will repeat what I said before, this site is the best out there and the mods do a great job and giving away £50 every wk is fantastic, I just think if people cant be bothered to post reasoning then don't bother at all..... It's then down to the reader to use that reasoning or discount it as the " same old thing" as Hills says..... Cracking selection Mr Benn by the way wish I had followed u...
Completely agree with Bartrum. The main reason I joined the site in the first instance was to read peoples 'tips' and opinions and follow a few that I liked the sound of. Also wanted to read peoples views and opinions so I could build up a bit of knowledge myself - at that point I had no interest in getting involved in any comps etc, I was just reading. If someone just puts up a seclection (time, course & horse) then I would disregard it generally as there is no reason/reasoning to follow. I have personally only recently started posting a bit of reasoning as I am relatively new to the sport in comparison to a lot of people on here so I feel i've only just gained the knowledge/experience/confidence to start putting up some reasoning. I would like to think the more I read reasoning in selections the more I pick up from others. Completely understand what Graham is saying re 'same old same old' but at least if people include reasoning then at least you can make the decision as to whether or not you agree with it and on the back of that choose whether or not to back it. Love the site though and genuinely really appreciate the mods sacrificing their time and effort.

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules Personally I would like to see reasoning behind all selections. If you put up a NAP then there is likely to be a reason behind it why someone thinks the horse is a good bet and I would like to understand why that is the case. And with so much money on offer for the winner of the comp, someone should put in the effort to explain a selection. On the other hand I can understand why it is not made mandatory for the competition. The comp is about attracting as wide an audience as possible. Which would be hampered if reasoning is required. The good thing is that if you want to read about reasoning behind selections there are the personal threads in the Systems & Blogs section where many good people post and where you can find interesting reads. Can only urge people who are interested in that kind of stuff to have a look there and enjoy the comp for what it is. :ok

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules I think keeping the competition to 1 week is the way to go. Maybe we could curtail the picks to a range of certain odds i.e. 4\1 and 10\1. with (bog) allowed. That way a winner at huge odds (by the way well done Mr Benn) does not take the majority of the field out of it. Or you could have the most winners in a week within the odds as above. If anybody has a SR 43% (3 winners) at those odds I think they deserve a prize. Make reasoning compulsary but it does not have to be the persons own reasoning, as say I fancy Quel Elite at Hexham today as my nap. I have gone through all the races to fancy him as my nap so it doesnt matter where I get the write up on him. Everybody else may not even have looked at him but I am still highlighting the fact he is fancied. There are 55 races in UK/Ire today has everybody gone through all these races to pick there nap, I think not. We all have our own ways of picking our horses some profitable some not so profitable. All the best BH it is not going to be easy to keep everybody happy but thank you for your hard work.

Make reasoning compulsary but it does not have to be the persons own reasoning,
We surely must keep the rule about it being the authors original reasoning. Last thing we want is a copy and paste job in every post. We had that problem once before and its not that difficult to express a few words of encouragement about a selection. Some good thoughts here and they will all be discussed, its a very difficult thing to balance. One thing i don't understand is why all these people who want reasoning fail to contribute to the daily threads at all? Also the main reason we throw prize money at tipping comps is to get more traffic to the forum and hopefully build up the community, yet the majority only come for the prizes and give very little elsewhere. Making reasoning compulsory at the moment would reduce the daily numbers to average about ten at most. Thats just not enough to warrant any sponsorship or attract any new members that will actually get involved. By doing it the way we do we hope the loyal contributors carry on as normal and by seeing their example we hope that it might encourage one or two others to start putting their own reasoning and build things up that way. Also the current set up does not exclude anyone from taking part and its very easy for new people to join up and get stuck in with the outside chance of winning something. Maybe we could tinker with the prize money to repay those who contribute more somehow? Like i said its early days and we have to give it a chance at least.

I would like to add that I spend a lot of time making my own ratings as well. Sometimes a horse will jump out at me from these and I'm not sure how I could explain that?
I have done my own ratings too, you explain by saying how it achieved that rating and describe its optimum conditions or something.

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules When I've got time and I'm looking in depth at the racing I generally will post decent reasoning here in my thread etc and obviously I appreciate it's useful for people following etc. For me, anyway, I don't have that much time other than when I make time for Cheltenham, Ascot etc so I'm not as confident about my daily selections. Today, I'm not that interested in the racing so have only had a glance. I probably wouldn't enter the comp every day if I had to put more effort in. I know it sounds bad and I wouldn't grumble if I couldn't enter unless I had to put more time into it tbh. Essentially when it comes down to me, if I don't post reasoning or much at all, then the chances are it isn't fancied as much by me as others. I just don't have the time to go through the cards every single day and have a meaningful opinion but I still like to enter comps where I can...

Re: *NEW* Weekly Naps Competition ~ £50 Cash Prize ~ Rules OK guys, After some discussion we have decided to split the prize money as follows; 1st £25 2nd £15 3rd £10 This will start from next week, Sunday May 17th. :ok

• 3 weeks later...

I think keeping the competition to 1 week is the way to go. Maybe we could curtail the picks to a range of certain odds i.e. 4\1 and 10\1. with (bog) allowed.
I like the 1 week format too. It is entertaining and should attract more action and interest. Inevitabely the big odds selections will grow in the last days and unless you pick 3 or 4 winners, chances are the prizes will go to those who nailed a big underdog win. I don't mind this, as I like big odds selections, but the idea of having a range for the odds is not bad for those who like to pick horses at odds below 10/1, as this seems to become a competition for long shots.

Personally I would like to see reasoning behind all selections. If you put up a NAP then there is likely to be a reason behind it why someone thinks the horse is a good bet and I would like to understand why that is the case.
Some bet on gut instinct and don't look at the stats, others might have math models based on statistics that help them find value. Regardless of method used, not everyone might be willing to share their ideas because it might diminish their edge in time if more people start using the same ideas/strategy. That can easily lead to people inventing reasonings that have nothing to do with their approach. If you look at all the comments for horses in a single race, you might find 3 good reasonings for 3 different horses. The brain can come up with smart arguments for almost anything but at the end of the day a smart reasoning doesn't always imply the bet has value (edge). That's my view on it and that's why I don't really care much about reasoning.