** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Ascot Moving to RUK

RIO2014

BY LEE MOTTERSHEAD 4:20PM 14 DEC 2012 AT THE RACES is to lose the jewel in the channel's crown after Ascot announced on Friday afternoon that Racing UK will take over coverage of the track from the 2014 royal meeting. In what is undoubtedly an enormous blow to ATR, Ascot has decided that joining the vast majority of Britain's major racecourses on RUK will prove best both for the track itself and British racing. The Racing Post revealed last month that a choice between the two channels was "on a knife edge". The verdict has come down in favour of Racecourse Media Group-owned RUK, which also snatched Exeter, Kelso and Perth from ATR earlier this year. The partly Sky-owned ATR - which has exclusive access to Irish racing - will also be missing Folkestone and Hereford after they close at the end of the year. In a statement, Ascot chief executive Charles Barnett said: "After careful consideration we have decided to extend our relationship with RMG, with whom we recently negotiated the exclusive terrestrial television contract with Channel 4. "We have also partnered with the RMG courses since 2007 in the provision of our pictures to betting shops through Turf TV. "We have had an excellent and productive relationship with At The Races since 2004 and are most grateful for all they have done for us. "Enabling a large percentage of the best of British racing to be promoted by one entity and showcased through one satellite broadcaster mirrors the thinking behind the Channel 4 deal, and it should benefit initiatives like the QIPCO British Champions Series." RMG chief executive Richard FitzGerald added: "We are delighted to welcome Ascot to the RMG family. The racecourse's tremendous racing and global reputation is a natural fit alongside the quality output from our other 33 racecourses. "We look forward to working closely with Johnny Weatherby, Charles Barnett and their team in further enhancing media revenues for the course. "We aim to deliver the highest production and presentation values worthy of one of the best racecourses in the world which will only further add to the Racing UK viewer's experience. "As Racing UK is 100 per cent owned by our shareholder racecourses, all profits are reinvested in the sport. The agreement will benefit Ascot, RMG's racecourses, the racing community and the sport as a whole. "We are relishing the opportunity of working together to promote the very best of what British racing has to offer." :clap

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK I'm pleased in the sense that I think RUK are vastly superior to ATR in their racing coverage, but obviously it's a big blow for everyone who doesn't want to or can't afford to stump up for RUK One of my main gripes with ATR is that they cover too much racing so they're forever having split screens, no time between races for paddock or betting, no time after races to put the result on screen Paradoxically I might enjoy watching it more as they lose more and more tracks

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK Personally i'm glad its moved to Racing UK, they do so much better than ATR in covering the races. I do understand its not good news for those that find Racing UK's subscription a bit much, i battled with that with for ages but gave in eventually as i work from home mainly and make the best of it. Trotter is right about the amount of races on ATR, some days you dont get to watch any race in full, its a joke and cant be doing with the scroll bar which is usually so not up to date its embarrassing at times. Saying that i watch it every day but i do like the big meetings on the best channel. Lets hope they put the price up now they have nicked 4 meetings in the last year!

I am perhaps alone in preferring ATR, despite the slight time delay. I prefer the presenters and whilst the split screen is a bit irritating I can live with it. I don't think this is better for punters or the viewing public either: I don't want to pay for RUK because I'm tight but a large number of ordinary viewers- especially younger ones who we need to attract- won't be able to afford it. If it was part of a broader Sky Sports package I might consider it but then I only want SS1&2 and you can't pick and choose. Racecourses need to consider other aspects than just the money here: without a long term plan to get viewers this aspect of their income will dwindle and charging at the level they do will not attract new subscribers. They'll have the LBOs locked in properly now though and I can see SIS trying for extensions to the BAGS card as a method of revenue generation to justify their service (owned by bookies and one or two others of course). It may be that they make Ascot available via Freeview which would be good as the Channel 4 coverage is likely to be uninspiring. Is Ascot alone in being covered by ATR but shown on Turf? If I'd been asked I'd have said it was SIS due to being on ATR.

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK Good move for sure. Ascot is the flag ship of flat racing so it should be shown by the best channel, and there is no doubt that RUK is far superior than ATR. I like ATR for showing so much different racing from all over the world. That's fantastic stuff. But the quality of their coverage is just a league below that one of RUK. I'm also always irritated that the picture quality is so poor on ATR, compared to most other TV channels and RUK as well of course. But maybe that's not a problem for everyone. I'm happily paying the €25 extra for RUK in my UPC package anyway as for me who watches almost solely racing on TV when home it is great value for money. I do understand that for other people this is a price too high to pay though...

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK

I am perhaps alone in preferring ATR, despite the slight time delay. I prefer the presenters and whilst the split screen is a bit irritating I can live with it. I don't think this is better for punters or the viewing public either: I don't want to pay for RUK because I'm tight but a large number of ordinary viewers- especially younger ones who we need to attract- won't be able to afford it. If it was part of a broader Sky Sports package I might consider it but then I only want SS1&2 and you can't pick and choose. Racecourses need to consider other aspects than just the money here: without a long term plan to get viewers this aspect of their income will dwindle and charging at the level they do will not attract new subscribers. They'll have the LBOs locked in properly now though and I can see SIS trying for extensions to the BAGS card as a method of revenue generation to justify their service (owned by bookies and one or two others of course). It may be that they make Ascot available via Freeview which would be good as the Channel 4 coverage is likely to be uninspiring. Is Ascot alone in being covered by ATR but shown on Turf? If I'd been asked I'd have said it was SIS due to being on ATR.
Yes Ascot is the only track which is different all the rest went with ATR/SIS or RUK/TurfTV.

I would never pay £20 a month for RUK it is a waste of money and frankly I think its disgusting they charge so much. If they show a race I want to watch it usually means I have had a bet on it so can just watch it online anyway.
Its a fiver a week, and its certainly not a waste of money if your are serious about your horses.

Its a fiver a week' date=' and its certainly not a waste of money if your are serious about your horses.[/quote'] That is very true. I don't have Sky but if I did and was required to pay £20 a month more just for RUK, I'd be a bit peeved, so I think it's more of a principle thing more than anything. However, like you say, £5 is a week in nowt if you're backing regular winners. Someone summed it up nicely elsewhere by saying that ATR is the tabloid brother of broadsheet RUK :)

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK No adverts, have to be a plus, Full replays have to be a plus, Some very good statistacal analysis pre race, has to be a plus, The only downside for me is Angus Macnae, he is neither funny or enlightened. For 75p a day, it is crucial to have IMO to the semi - pro punter. You will probably re-coup your money on the year by having access to cheap(er) race days at the course. And lets face it by 2014, I can only see it collecting the last few decent racecourses ATR still have, in particular Doncaster, Chepstow and Newcastle. Howver you dont want it watered down by either poor quality or poor presenters(angus can go to ATR). I will contunue my payments, even tho my racing investments will seriousley decrease in a few weeks time.

Its a fiver a week' date=' and its certainly not a waste of money if your are serious about your horses.[/quote'] But my main focus is hunter chases so I only need to watch them and I can watch the racing 5 days a week at work so for me its a waste of money. For those who want replays you can get them for free on the net anyway. Sent from my HTC Desire S using PL Forum

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK Personally I like the format and style of RUK over ATR I don't really like Matt Chapman with his Wooharring all the time and RUK seems less cluttered with out the Irish racing taking place at the same time on busy days. that said whilst I appreciate sit is only 75p a day or whatever is quoted on sky you get 140 channels for tat so it is a bit expensive. the worst thing about the fee though is if I want to watch on my ipad it is another subscription on top of the tv one where as with say skygo it's free as long as you pay. So glad to see Ascot moving over but don't want too many to move across else it will water down what we get which is time to review races and instances without rushing off to the next race.

When phrased as 75p a day it doesn't seem much. However, £20 is just about the psychological threshold I won't go over and there are days where it has nothing. If Sky put RUK in with a more general sports package I'd take it. Also, for people who have other packages its a bit salty if you've got sport, films etc. And I prefer the presenters on ATR. It's a more laid back channel and although the tabloid/broadsheet comparison is fair it's one I'm happy to go with.

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK I think its a bit steep as well tbh, mainly because you pay enough for the licence fee & then Sky and then adding another £20-25 takes the piss. They have some decent presenters on there at times but like Addpea says, if your that desperate to watch the racing then go on to the website and watch them for free later in the evening.

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK Don't people appreciate the superior analysis on RUK though? Can't get replays of that. Of course, there are other alternatives, such as subscribing to RUK and watching online (£15) or via mobile (£9.99) although it's only available via Iphone and HTC devices. Probably a data cap though and I'd much prefer to watch it on the TV!

Don't people appreciate the superior analysis on RUK though? Can't get replays of that. Of course, there are other alternatives, such as subscribing to RUK and watching online (£15) or via mobile (£9.99) although it's only available via Iphone and HTC devices. Probably a data cap though and I'd much prefer to watch it on the TV!
You get to hear a lot of the post race on bet365 replays, they show the race and usually a good 2-3 minutes of analysis after the race. I agree £20 is a lot for one channel, albeit a good channel.

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK As I work from home it's well worth it for me..............I watch it pretty much every day I also tune in to ATR every day ATR scores on the pre-racing programming with racing news, a feature show every day like Hugh taylor or World racing, Irish Angle etc...........I also like Matt Chapman as a presenter, not everyone's cup of tea but I think he's great, I also like Boycie, Enzo, Hunty..........I'm easily pleased..........:p RUK scores on the actual coverage of a meeting with much much better pre and post race analysis, paddock shots, on course interviews with trainers, jockeys, owners etc...........they have also some good presenters and experts like Lydia, Lucky, Mellish, Cunninghaaaam...........oops, channeling the Fonz there I even like Rishi..................:loon

And lets face it by 2014, I can only see it collecting the last few decent racecourses ATR still have, in particular Doncaster, Chepstow and Newcastle.
These are owned by ARC and are not independant tracks so this will not happen

ATR scores on the pre-racing programming with racing news, a feature show every day like Hugh taylor or World racing, Irish Angle etc...........I also like Matt Chapman as a presenter, not everyone's cup of tea but I think he's great, I also like Boycie, Enzo, Hunty..........I'm easily pleased..........:p RUK scores on the actual coverage of a meeting with much much better pre and post race analysis, paddock shots, on course interviews with trainers, jockeys, owners etc...........they have also some good presenters and experts like Lydia, Lucky, Mellish, Cunninghaaaam...........oops, channeling the Fonz there
Sums it up pretty well I think, Trotter. :ok

RUK needs more programming to justify getting it. I like the stuff on ATR (and learning about Australian racing is on my list of to-dos so the overnight coverage is a big plus for me). Sometimes there is just nothing on RUK- recently it had edited highlights from Kempton on a loop for hours. I appreciate ATR sometimes does that but it isn't often.

Re: Ascot Moving to RUK Was Racing UK not previously available via FreeView? I've just had a scan of my available channels and it doesn't seem to be there anymore. I do much prefer the coverage given by RUK. A few guys touched on it but they give a better visual build up to the races in my opinion.

They pop up on Freeview occasionally' date=' Arc coverage was free for a few hours for example. I'm hoping they offer Ascot by this route, at least for the feature races.[/quote'] Yeah about 5-6 saturdays a year, they give a free days racing on all platforms, they dont advertise it that much, so worth having a look each saturday

Don't people appreciate the superior analysis on RUK though? Can't get replays of that. Of course, there are other alternatives, such as subscribing to RUK and watching online (£15) or via mobile (£9.99) although it's only available via Iphone and HTC devices. Probably a data cap though and I'd much prefer to watch it on the TV!
Its better than ATR's but in the grand scheme of things I wouldnt say its that great. I only see bits and bobs (mainly on their app) but the blogs & tipsters on there are really poor.