1 WORD THAT SEPARATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY?

If you only had 1 word that a professional gambler needed to do what he/she did, compared to what a normal gambler has not got what would it be and why? Funny comments are more than welcome! I believe there can be many things that can separate a professional gambler from a normal gambler, but there is only one ability that a continually losing punter does not have? I know what it is, but I would love to hear others' opinions and experiences?

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY?

Discipline' date=' a staking plan, don't be reckless (i was reckless lately and lost the plot)... Learn from your mistakes and "Jog on". :loon[/quote'] Losing the plot and being reckless brings back many betting nightmares haha. Definitely discipline is the key

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? Echo most of the comments in this thread earlier. Discipline - without it its nigh on impossible to turn a profit (probably why I can't make profit haha!) Research - know what ur backing, don't just back a horse purely because of jockey or price.

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? How about 'professionalism'? Quite a boring answer but the word encompasses so many things. Discipline, dedication, knowledge, the ability to reflect and self manage etc. Sometimes I feel that you almost need to temporarily detach yourself from who you really are in order to really succeed and not many people can manage that day- in, day-out. That might sound a little deep but when you're at work they say that you're not your normal self and that shouldn't be any different from gambling if you want to succeed long term.

• 2 weeks later...

Confidence. I work in the industry in Gibraltar and for a while made my living gambling professionally (no trading or using bots although I am hugely lucky in that I can think like a trader and think like a punter). I lost confidence after a really awful few months- essentially a massive dose of seconditis at big prices- and although I could absorb the hit it whacked my confidence for six, good and proper. Taken me some time to recover.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? PATIENCE and the ability to wait for the right race to come along and perhaps the MONEY as in many cases they maybe very low prices or ODDS ON and if making a living from racing as a professional they maybe backing in the 1000s but their maybe very few horses that WARRENT such bets OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME T%M

Having a statistical edge is essential.I think the vast majority of punters just "guess" and "hope" while pros betting with statistically proven sustems where losses are part of the system so are acceptable. Of course there are thousands of systems out there, but the lack of discipline wont let em be used.Again by the vast majority. So systems and discipline alone are not the one word. My opinion is that if there is one word this should be very close to confidence as the friend above described. I mean being consistently successfull with gambling you need a special mindset that allows you to see failure as part of the success. So my one word is ..eer...hmmm...enlightened.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? bet when a bet is called on. Nobody has to squeeze a winner out a day or go for a scatter gun approach. the more the search for a bet the blacker the fingers become. Trust me ive tried the lot (even Boys that make thousands every week) I can say the only way forward is disipline and control. more importantly be confident of your bet and be happy to the reason you had a bet. example, why when we go to races we have to have 20 on each race. Find what you are happy with and hit that bet with 40 - 60 - 80 ect and sit at bar with bets your not comfortable with.

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY?

If you only had 1 word that a professional gambler needed to do what he/she did, compared to what a normal gambler has not got what would it be and why? Funny comments are more than welcome! I believe there can be many things that can separate a professional gambler from a normal gambler, but there is only one ability that a continually losing punter does not have? I know what it is, but I would love to hear others' opinions and experiences?
(I bet on football not horses, but am interested in this subject) The answer has to be 'discipline' surely. But I've found it's so much easier to say than carry out. A bit like 'diet' or 'exercise'. I'd be interested to see your answer when you reveal it.

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? I said in the past that I wouldn't post on this forum any more but this thread has intrigued me. The answer, IMHO, is LUCK and here’s why: If you have discipline alone, you will have nothing to apply that discipline to except fresh air. So discipline, in itself, is not the answer. If you have discipline but a system without an edge, all that you will become is a disciplined loser. If you have a system with an edge but you are ill-disciplined, then again you will most probably become a disciplined loser. To develop or purchase a system that has an edge, you will need mathematical ability and the logic to apply it. But, without discipline, you will most probably lose. If you don’t have a system but have ‘insider knowledge’, you will also fail without discipline because horses aren’t machines. Even though they may be the best animal in the race, they still lose. A good example was the sad case of George Washington in the 2007 Breeders Cup. That means that either you need (discipline + inside knowledge) or (discipline + an edge + mathematical ability + logic). However, they aren’t one word answers. LUCK, however, is a one word answer. With luck, you don’t need inside information nor do you need mathematical or logical ability nor do you need discipline nor do you need a system with an edge. If luck isn’t the answer, then this one has me beaten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re: 1 WORD THAT SPERATES A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER FROM A NORMAL GAMBLER PLEASE AND WHY? Dicipline + bankroll + balls Balls being the main thing, you can be the most diciplined, have the bankroll, the inside info, system, luck or whatever else, but if you dont have the balls to place those big wagers then the rest means nothing.