** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30

staffy

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Stoke are drifting against Swindon and the 4/6 available is becoming appealing butim still undecided. There is no doubt that Swindon are a potential banana skin and this will be no walk over. I expect Pulis to ring the changes but there will still be some good players in there. I can see starts for Sorenson, upson, Higginbotham, Shotton, ness, palacios, delap, kenwyne jones and jerome. On paper and at home they should be good enough to beat a good league 1 side. I've got some concerns though. It's transfer deadline on Friday and Pulis is trying to move on a few of the players who are likely to start and as such you have to question what the motivation will be of those players tonight. Also, unless knightly or pennant start, we will be looking poor out wide with essentially 4 centre midfielders starting. That said we have tended to do well in recent years in the early rounds of the cup and I think Pulis will be keen to qualify. 4/6 is a good price at home against a league 1 side. And if a few 1st teamers start, particularly 1 or both of the wingers, the price could be a steal. The conundrum is of course which players will start. You can be sure that the price won't be available if the team news looks good.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194392/Capital-One-Cup-Football-League-clubs-forced-play-strong-sides.html Well, let's see how this one works. According to this, teams like Leeds are forced to play their best players.
Typical over the top outrage from the daily mail.... It says this season is trial only, and no sanctions will be given.... So for me that says the rules haven't really changed. I'd like to see something come out of the FA on this as I've seen nothing previously on this matter.

Well it is in the rules under section six, but it's just says clubs are under obligation to field what the board deem to be the best available team, or words to that effect. It's nothing like the rules in the JPT, and I would imagine sanctions would only be made If a side made eleven changes, and there was a massive outcry.

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 West Ham vs Crewe Away win at 9,00 WilliamHill 1HT/2FT at 90,00 Nordicbet Less risky bets in my oppinion x2, Crewe score? Yes or handicap asian Crewe, 2 +1.5 at 1.85. Will stay with the away win and 1/2 HT/FT for juicy odds and potential awsome winnings, mainly because hosts lost to a 4th divison side previous year in this round of League Cup (1st), match West Ham vs Aldershot at home 1-2 (1-0) odds 120.0 1HT/2FT. Maybe, West Ham had a goal, promotion, that was achieved at the end, now a Premiership side vs Crewe a new promoted to League One, definetly must be a bad joke the odds here and it is worth taking the above selections I presented, for fun or for the glory days. http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2011/08/24/england/league-cup/west-ham-united-fc/aldershot-town-fc/1116625/ Today in this Cup, do not bet of favorites with odds

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Coventry vs Birmingham = over (2.06) stake 5/10 Coventry (League One) position 14 ° points 3 Birmingham (Championship) position 22 ° points 1 Preview: Coventry: in doubt: Fleck (midfielder 1/0); Injured: Clarke (defender 20/1), Christie (defender 37/0), Cameron (defender 14/0). Birmingham: absent: Stephen Carr (defender 20/0); in doubt: Danny Murphy (defender 37/4): The Coventry has a score of w0-d3-l0 goals scored 4 goals against 4 while Birmingham has a score of w0-d1-l2 goals scored 3 goals against 6. The home team started the season so horrendous and comes from three consecutive draws against Bury, Sheffield United, Yeovil Town. Even the visiting team started the tournament in negative and comes from two consecutive defeats against Watford and Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams will try to win this game in order to give a turn to the negative performance of the teams. At the end as both teams have huge difficulties, especially in the defensive department due to the absence of some defenders very important to think a game full of goals. :hope

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Two games for me today: West Ham - Crew over 3 goals, odds 1.84@Pinnacle Sunderland - Morecambe over 3 goals, odds 1.79@188Bet Odds have gone down significantly, but still I think they are worth a shot. Crew were humiliated on Saturday and will try to bounce back and as it was already mentioned earlier in the thread they are one of the potential banana skins. However, with the likes of Maiga, Vaz Te and Maynard all starting for the Hammers I can see West Ham scoring quite a few past the shaky defense of Crew. In fact I think WH have great striking potential, but it's Big Sam's inability to make it work in his favor. All in all, though I think we will see an open game and the over 3 line should be covered. Regarding the Sunderland game, I think with the addition of Fletcher and Johnson now Sunderland will look a bit better in attack. I guess both will start and considering that they didn't play on Saturday I expect them to be all over the Shrimps from the first minute. MON indicated that he wants to do well in the cup, thus I don't think they will underestimate Morecambe, otherwise they might follow Blackpool and exit the competition early. On the other hand, the Shrimps should be with full squad and will hope for another cup upset. They have started the season as a very overish side (3 out of 3 games in L2 have gone over 2.5 as well as the 1-2 victory over Blackpool in the previous cup round). Their defense doesn't look solid though as they have allowed 5 goals in 3 league games and I think 3-0 or 3-1 victory for Sunderland will not be a surprise tonight. On a side note, what do you think of Blackburn away to MK Dons? The Dons will be without 3 regulars, all suspended and although Blackburn might rotate slightly they should have enough quality to overcome the unconvincing Dons, thus I wonder why are they priced so high (2.52@Pinnacle). Maybe they are worth a shot on the DNB market at least? Any opinions are welcomed :)

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Sunderland to win to nil - 1.9 Coral Martin O'Neill takes this Cup seriously winning it twice with Leicester and getting to the final with Aston Villa a few seasons ago. New signings Adam Johnson + Steven Fletcher will be handed their debuts after Sunderlands game against Reading on the weekend was called off due to it lashing down on Wearside. The Mackems did start this season well with a 0-0 draw at Arsenal, a performance which was very gutsy and they possibly could of even snatched a win at The Emirates. O'Neill's sides are also known for their tight defensive unit. Morecambe got off to a great start to the season defeating Blackpool and Morecambe in their 1st 2 games of the season. However, they have stuttered of late with a crushing 3-1 defeat at home to the hands of Port Vale and drawing to newly promoted side York. I think the class of Sunderland will prevail today and with the good atmosphere currently surrounding the club with the new signings Morecambe may just have their hands full.

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 4pts N.Forest to beat Wigan 6/4 Skybet Wigan have lost at this stage in five of the last seven seasons so the general consensus would be that they do not have the strength in depth to rotate players and win. Forest looked very good to me in the first half at Bolton on Friday night and back in front of their home fans in this match I think they can take the game to a weaker Wigan and have the strength and power to come out on top. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/nottingham-forest-vs-wigan-betting-forest-can-use-the-home-crowd-to-pile-pressure-on-weakened-wigan

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Sheffield Wednesday vs Fulham With the international break coming up after the game at the weekend, the temptation to rest players won't be as strong as usual for Sheffield Wednesday. However, I can see a few rotations on the flanks and potentially up front. Waiting in the wings are players like Gary Madine and Joe Mattock, with potentially Pecnik the Slovenian international also getting some game time. Other than that it will likely be as-you-were for a Sheffield Wednesday team that have scored 12 goals in 4 games from all over the pitch. Fulham have a fixture over at East London on Saturday, where I expect they will be looking to get some points from their newly promoted neighbours. They will make 4-5 changes tonight according to Jol with Dempsey still unavailable and Senderos injured they will be bringing in talent like Sidwell, Rodellega etc. There is no doubt about the quality of these replacements but I would expect them not to be as fluent as the side that scored 7 goals in 2 games because they had such a short pre-season by normal standards. With both teams carrying a goal threat and likely thinking that the game will be won by goals rather than possession and defense I'm going to look at the following bets; First Half over 1.5 goals - 2pts @ 3.00 with Hills Second Half over 1.5 goals - 3 pts @ 1.95 with Hills Sheff Wed to win either half - 5pts @ 1.85 Sheffield Wednesday have scored 4, 2, 1 and 2 in the second half of their games so far, so I will take a chance with the current trend of Wednesday winning one half continuing. 10pts staked overall as it the usual standard with my bets.

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Stoke v Swindon @ 1.72 Bet365 (5 points) Ive posted earlier my thoughts on this match. There is no doubt Swindon are a potential banana skin. Pulis has said this himself earlier today and with the local rag predicting a number of first team players will start, the drifting price is now starting to look value. I won't be going mad on this as Swindon will be a threat. But 8/11 on a premier league side at home against a (good) league 1 side is looking wrong to me. Yes it won't Be a full side FromStoke but it will be similar sort of side setting up to that which got to the quarter finales of the Europa cup last season. There maybe a lack of motivation from certain players and lack of fluidity in the play but even with that in mind, the price is looking a little too big. Cameron Jerome and Kenwyne Jones should start up front and they will be a handful, whilst Shawcross and Upson are due to start centre defence. There.might have been a case for backing Swindon at the price they were this morning, but that has gone full circle now. Stoke have done well in cups the last few years with wakened sides and I expect them to get a professional job done on Di Canios boys tonight.

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Only me who fancy's wigan tonight? David Jones, Ben Watson, jordi gomez and Mauro Boselli could start for wigan tonight who could easy cope at championship level, Jean Beausejour returned from injury as a substitute at Southampton so should start tonight to get match fitness up. I think it could be down to best footballing team tonight both manager like to get the ball down and play it. I can see wigan keeping the ball from Forrest and frustrating them. they have played the "better football" for longer now as matinez has been the longer then sean o'driscoll i dont think o'driscoll would have got all his ideas across in time as he aint been there long. 2/1 hills

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Match Aston Villa v Tranmere Selection Aston Villa Strength 10/10 Date 28/08/2012 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 1.53 Reasoning Right I know I should leave this cup alone but I cant ignore the odds here for Villa. Villa have quite a good record in this competition and Tranmere dont. Villa will see this is there best chance of winning anything this season. OK Villa are woeful and have had a terrible start this season another reason why they need to kick starts their season and learn how to win again. Villa all the way for me especially with home advantage. I would expect them to win this game most of the time so the odds are way to high.

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30

Almost a full side out for Stoke. Might not win but 8/11 is excellent value!
Sorensen; Shotton, Huth, Upson, Wilson; Pennant, Whitehead, Cameron, Kightly; Jerome, Jones. Dont think so Thats their reserves surely. What were you expecting the tea lady and ball boys?

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Bolton to beat Crawley @ 2.60 bet365 (3 points) Coyle has got a fairly decent side out with eagles, mark Davies and petrov all playing as well as young afeobe up front. I think they should have too much for Crawley and it looks a decent price.

Sorensen; Shotton' date=' [b']Huth, Upson, Wilson; Pennant, Whitehead, Cameron, Kightly; Jerome, Jones. Dont think so Thats their reserves surely. What were you expecting the tea lady and ball boys?
Those underlined players are regulars. Cameron will make his second match for Stoke at all after making a good performance against Arsenal.

Re: Capital One Cup > August 28-30

Nottingham Forest vs Wigan 28/8/12 FLC Nottingham Forest vs Wigan Draw 12/5 Coral 5/10 OPEN
28/8/12 FLC Nottingham Forest vs Wigan Draw 12/5 Coral 5/10 FT 1 - 4 -5 units I talked about both sides always being in the game and though it was a tight and scrappy opening quarter, once Wigan scored the first goal, Forest suddenly seemed exposed and the second goal just felt like coming. It was a superb strike by Figueroa that beamed into the top corner. Forest responded well in the second half, but they gave themselves a mountain to climb and Wigan sealed the game late on with another well worked goal from a Miyaichi run that fed McManaman. Both managers can take positives from the game, especially Martinez who will be proud of the team's performance, especially from the fringe players. Well done Aston Villa backers, and unlucky for that late goal to go in between Crawley and Bolton, Jase. But you had some nice winners tonight.

Match Aston Villa v Tranmere Selection Aston Villa Strength 10/10 Date 28/08/2012 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 1.53 Reasoning Right I know I should leave this cup alone but I cant ignore the odds here for Villa. Villa have quite a good record in this competition and Tranmere dont. Villa will see this is there best chance of winning anything this season. OK Villa are woeful and have had a terrible start this season another reason why they need to kick starts their season and learn how to win again. Villa all the way for me especially with home advantage. I would expect them to win this game most of the time so the odds are way to high.
Happy with that. Comfortable in the end. Puts in in profit for the season for the first time. +4.40 points now.

Sunderland to win to nil - 1.9 Coral Martin O'Neill takes this Cup seriously winning it twice with Leicester and getting to the final with Aston Villa a few seasons ago. New signings Adam Johnson + Steven Fletcher will be handed their debuts after Sunderlands game against Reading on the weekend was called off due to it lashing down on Wearside. The Mackems did start this season well with a 0-0 draw at Arsenal, a performance which was very gutsy and they possibly could of even snatched a win at The Emirates. O'Neill's sides are also known for their tight defensive unit. Morecambe got off to a great start to the season defeating Blackpool and Morecambe in their 1st 2 games of the season. However, they have stuttered of late with a crushing 3-1 defeat at home to the hands of Port Vale and drawing to newly promoted side York. I think the class of Sunderland will prevail today and with the good atmosphere currently surrounding the club with the new signings Morecambe may just have their hands full.
Last season the 3 that came up to the Premiership all went out at this stage due to basically sacrificing it and fielding under strength squads after they all looked at how Birmingham won the Carling Cup only to get relegated. They wanted to just focus on survivial and I do not see why the new 3 promoted teams will do the same. Southampton go to Stevenage and will be given a stern test there no doubt about that. Stevenage drew against Tottenham at their home ground last season in the FA Cup and they'll be right up for that. The young squad of Crewe Alex goes to Upton Park where they have every chance of causing an upset. West Ham were shockingly poor defensively against Swansea and if its one thing Crewe know what to do its score goals. Finally, Reading host Peterborough another side which will relish going to premier league opposition with no fear. The Posh like to play attacking football and could cause problems if Reading field a predicted weakened side. Stevenage DNB - 2.5 PaddyPower Crewe Alexandra DNB - 6.5 William Hill Peterborough DNB - 5.00 PaddyPower
Sunderland won 2-0. :ok My opposing of the 3 that came up to the premier league did not go aswell however

Re: Capital One Cup > August 28-30

Stoke-Swindon under 2.75 @1.83 4/10 10bet Stoke drew both of their matches so far. They didn't allow Arsenal great chances as their defense does work. Key offensive player Etherington is out and that is a reason why they canot do much up front. Pulis is likely to bring in some reinforcements whilst other players may leave. AS for this match, he is likely to rotate his squad as most higher ranked teams do. Swindon on the other hand started really well into the league. They gained 7 out of 9 possible points, while they haven't conceded any goals in 4 matches, including the 3-0 victory over Brighton in the first round of the Carling Cup. Now they play away from home and it should be much tougher for them. On saturday, they were leading 1-0 against MK Dons at half time with their opponents down to 10 men and Swindon didn't try much more up front to score. They just wanted to defend. This is also what they will do against Stoke, they will defend from the beginning very good and I cannot see them conceding many goals. All in all, this match looks like an underish game. I like this line very much. GL
2:2 and lost. Swindon was the better team with much more chances accoriding to the stats, unfortunately Stoke drew it with a late equaliser

Sunderland-Morecambe AH-1.75 @1.81 4/10 10bet Sunderland's match against Reading on saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The players are rested now and Martin O'Neill will be hungry to win this. MON urged his players not to understimate their much weaker opponents. “The cup-tie is very important for us. We had a taste for the cup last year and the atmosphere that night against Everton in the FA Cup replay was extraordinary, and showed just what it means to the people here. We would love to do well. We have a home tie and really want to make the most of it. We just want to give it a real go and show people what we want to do." New signings Fletcher and Johnson are also likely to participate in this match. Morecambe is a team from the 4th division that lost 1-3 to Port Vale at home on saturday. They shouldn't be able to hold Sunderland down. MON wants to win this competition saying that the first match is very important. The fans are excited and there will be a lot of fans to cheer for their club. I expect a clear victory for Sunderland with at least 2 goals difference.
2:0 bet half won, although there were enough chances

Only me who fancy's wigan tonight? David Jones' date=' Ben Watson, jordi gomez and Mauro Boselli could start for wigan tonight who could easy cope at championship level, Jean Beausejour returned from injury as a substitute at Southampton so should start tonight to get match fitness up. I think it could be down to best footballing team tonight both manager like to get the ball down and play it. I can see wigan keeping the ball from Forrest and frustrating them. they have played the "better football" for longer now as matinez has been the longer then sean o'driscoll i dont think o'driscoll would have got all his ideas across in time as he aint been there long. 2/1 hills[/quote'] Bloody good call....I backed Forest to win,never had a sniff.

Ipswich to qualify 1.73 at Bet >365 (3.5 /10 units) :( West Brom to win 1.83 at Ladbrokes (3.5 / 10 units) :ok Villa -0.5AH 1.53 at Bet365 (5 /10 units):ok
Ipswich spoiling the card a little by giving away a injury time equaliser and then going on to lose in extra time. However still +2.1 units profits for the evenings League Cup action. Well done other winners. Some good calls on overs and on Sunderland in here. Need to have a look at team news but Wolves still look a decent price for Thursday.

Two games for me today: West Ham - Crew over 3 goals, odds 1.84@Pinnacle Sunderland - Morecambe over 3 goals, odds 1.79@188Bet Odds have gone down significantly, but still I think they are worth a shot. Crew were humiliated on Saturday and will try to bounce back and as it was already mentioned earlier in the thread they are one of the potential banana skins. However, with the likes of Maiga, Vaz Te and Maynard all starting for the Hammers I can see West Ham scoring quite a few past the shaky defense of Crew. In fact I think WH have great striking potential, but it's Big Sam's inability to make it work in his favor. All in all, though I think we will see an open game and the over 3 line should be covered. Regarding the Sunderland game, I think with the addition of Fletcher and Johnson now Sunderland will look a bit better in attack. I guess both will start and considering that they didn't play on Saturday I expect them to be all over the Shrimps from the first minute. MON indicated that he wants to do well in the cup, thus I don't think they will underestimate Morecambe, otherwise they might follow Blackpool and exit the competition early. On the other hand, the Shrimps should be with full squad and will hope for another cup upset. They have started the season as a very overish side (3 out of 3 games in L2 have gone over 2.5 as well as the 1-2 victory over Blackpool in the previous cup round). Their defense doesn't look solid though as they have allowed 5 goals in 3 league games and I think 3-0 or 3-1 victory for Sunderland will not be a surprise tonight.
Both lost :(

Re: England > Capital One Cup > August 28-30 Can't believe the odds on Orient tonight - drifted out to as much as 20/1, which hasn't really reflected some things that have happened this week. We lost the first two games of the season, the first playing 4-4-2 and the second an unknown, seemingly experimental formation. The trip to Goodison should see us revert to 4-5-1, which is the formation that the squad plays best in owing to the players that we have, but seemingly Slade reserves for teams that he views are much better than us. In the first round we went to Charlton with this formation and got through on penalties but arguably could have got through in normal time had we not missed a penalty in regular time. Last season, we were dreadful, only finishing one place above the relegation zone but our away record of 7-5-11 was the best in the entire lower half, with quite a few solid away performances. Given that we got turned over quite a lot going 4-4-2 away, our record playing 4-5-1 away must be pretty good. Additionally, this week we had signed Martin Rowlands and Lee Cook - IMO proven quality players at this level, and should be up to fitness already having spent pre-season at the club anyway. Given that I view midfield as the weakest area, this is a huge improvement and provides a much better balance to the side. Of course, I don't think we are going to win, and I doubt Everton will be resting too many players. But I can see a lot of value, I think if we set up 4-5-1 with the new players we will play better than our League results.

Coventry vs Birmingham = over (2.06) stake 5/10 Coventry (League One) position 14 ° points 3 Birmingham (Championship) position 22 ° points 1 Preview: Coventry: in doubt: Fleck (midfielder 1/0); Injured: Clarke (defender 20/1), Christie (defender 37/0), Cameron (defender 14/0). Birmingham: absent: Stephen Carr (defender 20/0); in doubt: Danny Murphy (defender 37/4): The Coventry has a score of w0-d3-l0 goals scored 4 goals against 4 while Birmingham has a score of w0-d1-l2 goals scored 3 goals against 6. The home team started the season so horrendous and comes from three consecutive draws against Bury, Sheffield United, Yeovil Town. Even the visiting team started the tournament in negative and comes from two consecutive defeats against Watford and Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams will try to win this game in order to give a turn to the negative performance of the teams. At the end as both teams have huge difficulties, especially in the defensive department due to the absence of some defenders very important to think a game full of goals. :hope
Ca$HHHHHHH :ok