BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August *Heavy Metal - Goodwood 2:45* Hard to ignore Mark Johnston's form here at Goodwood, he is having a superb festival so far, and this horse can go well at a big price. It's last run was on soft so i can ignore that, as his horses tend to do a lot better when the ground comes good. It is still very lightly raced, and has had 2 wins, one of those when beating a good horse called Birdman who ran at Goodwood today. May find this class tough, but at the price is worth a bet. *1 Point WIN @ 11/1 Hills BOG*

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August Goodwood 215 - Beaufort Twelve 12/1 Bet365 BOG Looks a horse on the up & he certainly has the type of profile I like to see for a race of this type. The form of his previous runs look strong (including the best TS of all of these) and while I am hoping the ground keeps drying out, he does have good course form and he has a good draw to race handily from. I respect a lot of those ahead of him in the market especially the likes of Grandeur and potentially Prussian who I think could also run big races. EDIT - 12's no longer with BET365 but available with Ladbrokes & Stan James.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 15.35 Galway: Yellow Rosebud @ 2/1 Boylesports I'm on an outstanding loosing run in this competition but I hope Yellow Rosebud can bring me back to the winning ways. She is a Group 1 horse in a Listed race tomorrow and it would be just disappointing if she is not capable of beating the opponents in this field in a comfortable way. She was my idea for the Irish 1.000 Guineas since last year, though she had an off-day or might even didn't stay when the crucial day arrived, don't know what was wrong there, but I'll ignore that form as it certainly does not reflect the potential of this lovely filly. She is still very lightly raced as she had only four starts so far. she won a maiden last year, finished then 2nd to Maybe in the G2 Debutante Stakes at the Curragh and made a winning seasonal reappearance at Leopardstown in May eventually. She steps back from the Guineas distance to 7f and I think that might be more her preferred distance anyway. Trainer Dermot Weld is in outstanding form as usual at Galway again and if you ignore Yellow Rosebud's Guineas run then you see a horse that is the highest rated horse in the field, that has the best form to offer and should be odds-on according that. So I feel 2/1 is a massive price.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 3:45 Goodwood: Amaraja e/w 25/1 Skybet (1/4 123) Amaraja may be Sir Henry Cecil's second string based on jockey bookings, however she could go well here at a big price. Looking through the relatively short history of this race several horses that had a low rating, in the 80s, going in to the race have gone on to win. Judged on her pedigree its highly likely that Amaraja will improve for this trip and being lightly raced there is plenty of scope for improvement. Amaraja was at one point entered in the Irish Oaks and the form of her maiden win (albeit a massive step up is required) got a boost when second Bite Of The Cherry won comfortably next time.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 3.45 Goodwood - Estimate - Winner of her last two races this term, both won in good style and with decent winning margins and looks to be a progressive filly to date. Beat Athens (rated 104) by five lengths last time out and is now rated 105 herself today and could be capable of further improvement, her weight for age allowance here should help with her chances today against the older horses and puts her in with a shout today. Sir Michael Stoute has has 8 wins from 26 runners over the last 14 days for an L.S.P. of +12.53pts. 3.45 Goodwood: Estimate - 1pt win @ 5/2 PaddyPower (BOG)

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 2:15 Goodwood - Switzerland - 0.5 pts EW (28/1, BetVictor) A 3rd Mark Johnston winner in the first race at Goodwood this week ? I'm hoping so! The trainer goes in heavy handed tomorrow for this race so I'm hoping, although on paper my selection isn't the strongest of the 4, that it may cause an EW shock and spring a surprise. Rated 94/95 and placed in a decent handicap on firm ground at Haydock in May behind Gabrial, who although never had a chance, ran in today's race with Frankel. Last two races have been on soft ground and bombed out twice, but hopefully back on decent ground tomorrow may run well at a price. Only ran once over the trip and wasn't entirely disgraced so worth an EW shout with Johnston's form this week and with 4 places being paid out. Good luck all.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 4.50 Galway Guinness Galway Handicap Hurdle (Grade A), Winner €156,600 WHATEVER JACKSAYS 5pts win @ 14/1 bog (Ladbrokes and Boylesports) My second horse of the month (not just of the day as you can see from the full stake). The first Blackstairmountain was a bit disappointing in the corresponding big event over fences and I hope Whatever Jacksays can go two better. This 7yo gelding trained by Oliver McKiernan has had a fantastic season so far winning the last 4 races always in impressive style. Won three handicaps over hurdles over 3m on good to firm at Wexford off a mark of 99, over 3m on very heavy at Punchestown off a mark of 103 six days later (end of April) and over 2m4f on good ground at Cork off a mark of 125 (25th of May). Latest winning effort came on his flat debut winning over 1m6f on heavy ground at Leopardstown six weeks ago (beating by 7L the 82 rated Dare To Doubt and by 20L the 83 rated Oilily, both able to win since). All his wins came with the same front running tactics and over hurdles the closest of the 49 opponents he faced in the last 3 winning efforts finished 14L behind him. He fully deserves his new mark of 143 and has been tuned up for this race since his last success over hurdles at Cork. Goes on any ground but loves it soft/heavy and even if 2m could sound a bit too short for him he should appreciate the stiff finish of this track and the ground will be surely another big help. Tough race of course but I love this horse and I hope he can give me another joy (a very big one at these odds). The trainer has never had a runner over hurdles here at Galway and his first two runners on the track were pulled up yesterday in the Galway Plate while jockey Robbie Colgan has won already over this track and has ridden 4 winners for McKiernan in less than one year from 40 rides. Whatever Jacksays will very probably lead and hopefully can dictate a good tempo that will put many others in trouble while I can see him passing the winning post first with some screams of joy supporting him home :)

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 2.15 Goodwood - 1pt win Grandeur @ 10/1 (Hills) William Buick has concerns about the draw here and obviously it isn't totally ideal in stall 16 but given the mayhem that can go on down the straight at Goodwood I wouldn't be overly worried should he race a bit wider than normally ideal. I think he has the form to go very close off top-weight, having won over this course and distance three starts back in late May. That was off a mark of 88 (11lbs lower than today) but he did it nicely in the end - travelling up on the outside and finding plenty for pressure to stride to a 2 1/4l success. The race has worked out fairly well, too, with the next few home not letting the form down in subsequent efforts. Obviously 11lbs higher than that and in a more competitive affair, he has to have improved, but he's still lightly-raced and ran a cracker at Epsom off 96 two starts back when finishing strongly despite an initial wide draw and edging down the camber. Was narrowly denied by Wrotham Heath (2lb swing now) but was ahead of that one when both were comfortably held at Royal Ascot last time out. I think it's worth mentioning that although in the formbook as 10f, there is some yards difference in trip at Epsom and Goodwood and the longer trip should help today in an attempt to reverse the form from the downs. At Ascot, Grandeur didn't get his ground as it was just on the soft side and anyway it was a decent Group 3 affair, out of which a few horses have come out and gone well since. He still travelled up nicely turning in, though, before just feeling the pinch and fading home in the end. The easiest test here and faster ground will help him a lot and he has both the tactical speed and ability to find off the bridle to make him an ideal fit for this course. The yard are going well as per usual and I'm optimistic here if he can get a half-decent position from his draw.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 5:05 Stratford - Rajnagan - Back Tight little race this with only 3 runners. That said, Deb's Dasher looks up against it based on the sound beating he took from the re-opposing Caravel lto. This therefore looks to be between the top 2 in the Market. Caravel commands plenty of respect but often comes up short and could well be set for a 2nd yet again. Rajnagan on the other hand is a frequent winner and could well bounce back to winning ways after failing in his hat trick bid lto. Big chance to win again here 1pt win @ SP

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August Run with the wind 4.50 Galway 18/1 coral 1pt win Ill side with this nag as he fits the trends on most for the race having Won 2 hurdle races of no more value than 15k. Won at least 1 of 2 last starts. Placed on last start. 5y/o to 9 y/o. 4 of the last 5 winners were aged 6. Has posted a rpr high on 1 of his last 2 starts. 10/10 had run in no more than 15 hurdles and that loses a good few! 10/10 had won 2 - 4 times over hurdles. 8/10 had run in fewer than 5 heap hurdles. 9/10 had raced within 55 days. Horses carrying 10st 7lb + Are (6-7-72). Heres hoping for a better month!

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 4.55 GOODWOOD DIAMONDHEAD @ 40/1 CORAL .5ew Was thought good enough to run in Group races as a 2yo an is still one of the least exposed in the field. Ran ok for a long way last time out but a combination of a poor draw, softer than ideal ground and seasonal debut probably did for him. Dropped 3lb today, drawn 2 and with the ground more to his liking could go close at a massive price.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August N4.15 Voodoo Prince 1pt Win 13/2 BlueSq It's a really well bred horse this and after its seasonal opener, it should do itself justice today especially since it looks like the money is coming for it. Breeding suggests it wouldn't have liked the soft ground LTO either so I expect to see improvement back on top of the ground today. It's best run last season was also its only run over this triip so that is another encouraging sign that it returns to 10 furlongs.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 1725 goodwood 1pt win zamdy man 14/1 betvic won a newmarket maiden last time quite easily,that was over 1 mile, takes a step up to 1 mile 3,today, and am hopeful there can be more improvement to take this type of race miss v williams doesnt have that many flat winners,only one so far, could this be 2? eddie ahern keeps the ride on her only winner so far

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August whateverjacksays 450 galway 14/1 bet365 oliver mckiernans horse is on an incredible four timer. however he steps up in class here and down in trip. his wins over hurdles have come over further, but a recent spin on the flat will have acted as a sharpener for this run and theres little secret in how he will run here. hes going to hit the front early and try to lead them a merry dance all the way to the line.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August

N4.15 Voodoo Prince 1pt Win 13/2 BlueSq It's a really well bred horse this and after its seasonal opener, it should do itself justice today especially since it looks like the money is coming for it. Breeding suggests it wouldn't have liked the soft ground LTO either so I expect to see improvement back on top of the ground today. It's best run last season was also its only run over this triip so that is another encouraging sign that it returns to 10 furlongs.
This one is a non runner so I'd like this one now please.... G4.55 My Sharona 0.5pt E/W 11/1 Betvictor Judging by yesterdays results, this one could have a real advantage here drawn in stall 1. The horse has made the frame in an incredible 8 of 11 starts and its win last time out has a progressive look to it. The trainers runners are also running better of late and judging by the last 2 runs, the jockey really seems to get a good tune out of the horse.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 220 Stratford: Bathcounty (7/2 PP) Interesting novice hurdle and happy to take on the fav Pasture Bay after watching him at Cartmel last time where he looked odds on to collect only to find very little and looks a tricky old ride and doesnt look like he puts it all in. The selection Bathcounty is from the Barry Brennan yard who is doing very well with his limited string and ran well last time when third and the form has been upheld since. He's improving and looks pretty genuine and the danger may come from the ex-Irish horse at the bottom Regal One but only a 4yo and may need more experience.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August 4:55 Goodwood 10pts e-w Jakes Destiny @ 8/1 Bet365 Jake's Destiny ran a great race last time on heavy which probably didn't suit, conditions today look more suitable and drop to 7 furlong no problem, open to plenty more improvement here on his 3rd turf start.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August Regal One 2.20 Stratford. 1 point win. Done well enough in Ireland and hopefully a move to David Bridgewater's will bring a little improvement. Stable firing at the moment, so no surprise if he does improve. The trip and ground's not a concern and it's not a strong race. Has strong each way claims. 7/1 Sporting Bet.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 2nd of August REACTION 2.50 Stratford. 1 point win. Done little wrong and I feel has every chance of running a big race today. The small field could work in his favour and the trip and ground's fine, especially with the rain that's fallen today. Big price for a horse with plenty in favour. 17/2 Betfred BOG

2.15 Goodwood - 1pt win Grandeur @ 10/1 (Hills) William Buick has concerns about the draw here and obviously it isn't totally ideal in stall 16 but given the mayhem that can go on down the straight at Goodwood I wouldn't be overly worried should he race a bit wider than normally ideal. I think he has the form to go very close off top-weight, having won over this course and distance three starts back in late May. That was off a mark of 88 (11lbs lower than today) but he did it nicely in the end - travelling up on the outside and finding plenty for pressure to stride to a 2 1/4l success. The race has worked out fairly well, too, with the next few home not letting the form down in subsequent efforts. Obviously 11lbs higher than that and in a more competitive affair, he has to have improved, but he's still lightly-raced and ran a cracker at Epsom off 96 two starts back when finishing strongly despite an initial wide draw and edging down the camber. Was narrowly denied by Wrotham Heath (2lb swing now) but was ahead of that one when both were comfortably held at Royal Ascot last time out. I think it's worth mentioning that although in the formbook as 10f, there is some yards difference in trip at Epsom and Goodwood and the longer trip should help today in an attempt to reverse the form from the downs. At Ascot, Grandeur didn't get his ground as it was just on the soft side and anyway it was a decent Group 3 affair, out of which a few horses have come out and gone well since. He still travelled up nicely turning in, though, before just feeling the pinch and fading home in the end. The easiest test here and faster ground will help him a lot and he has both the tactical speed and ability to find off the bridle to make him an ideal fit for this course. The yard are going well as per usual and I'm optimistic here if he can get a half-decent position from his draw.
Brilliant mate well done!

*Heavy Metal - Goodwood 2:45* Hard to ignore Mark Johnston's form here at Goodwood, he is having a superb festival so far, and this horse can go well at a big price. It's last run was on soft so i can ignore that, as his horses tend to do a lot better when the ground comes good. It is still very lightly raced, and has had 2 wins, one of those when beating a good horse called Birdman who ran at Goodwood today. May find this class tough, but at the price is worth a bet. *1 Point WIN @ 11/1 Hills BOG*
Unbelievable mate great tipping!

*Heavy Metal - Goodwood 2:45* Hard to ignore Mark Johnston's form here at Goodwood, he is having a superb festival so far, and this horse can go well at a big price. It's last run was on soft so i can ignore that, as his horses tend to do a lot better when the ground comes good. It is still very lightly raced, and has had 2 wins, one of those when beating a good horse called Birdman who ran at Goodwood today. May find this class tough, but at the price is worth a bet. *1 Point WIN @ 11/1 Hills BOG*
Unreal, as always. Chapeau.