** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cycling 2012

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cycling 2012 Shocking cant believe no one chased down the breakaway. Cant blame Sky for not doing so but surely one of the other teams should have done. Just proves that without HTC around to do all the chasing it makes it a little easier for breaks to stay away.

Re: Cycling 2012 Good point addpea, think we've got really use to a HTC train. Bet that peeve'd Cavendish off big time as well. Stages like that should have been his for the taking. Wonder what's going to happen next year, with no Olympics race to worry about, surely he's going to want a lead in but if Sky are still going to be keen to dominate for the yellow jersey, will he be just the water carrier again? I can't see Sky giving up on the yellow jersey after they've just secured it once. Maybe their aspirations will be even higher and they'll aim to go for both jerseys, or at the very least aim to get Cav at least 3/4 stage wins.

I'm not sure cav will be that annoyed. Don't forget all the work Wiggins did so he could win the rainbow jersey and obviously will do along with froome in less than two weeks. Obviously they hoped others would do the chasing but for whatever reason they couldn't be bothered. It's interesting that it took ages for a breakaway to stick so I'm wondering if the other teams knew one would succeed given they were chasing back loads of attempted breaks. Sent from my HTC Desire S using PL Forum

Re: Cycling 2012 I know we said we wouldn't go off topic as this is a betting forum, but it is integral. Yes, legitimate question as the public image of those two is being joined at the hip. Also, slightly throws up in the air again the team classification results. That will have to be adjudicated on now and will they delete Frank's earlier results.

Re: Cycling 2012

I know we said we wouldn't go off topic as this is a betting forum' date=' but it is integral. Yes, legitimate question as the public image of those two is being joined at the hip. Also, slightly throws up in the air again the team classification results. That will have to be adjudicated on now and will they delete Frank's earlier results.[/quote'] I think when someone is guilty though its fair game to talk about whereas before it was all opinions. I would love it to affect the team classification given my biggest bet was on Sky to win that. Sadly even if they lose all his results I still dont think it would be enough as they have had 4 or 5 men up in the lead group at times and Jens Voigt was in the breakaway the other day which made it to the end. Last time I looked Sky were 12 minutes behind.

Re: Cycling 2012 Today H2H::unsure Wiggins or Froome? Zubeldia or Coppel? Van Garderen or Roche N? Menchov or Monfort? V.D.Broeck or Evans? Martin or Roy? Kruiswijck or Caruso? Pinot or Roland? Velits or Valverde? Casar or Vinokourov? Hornor or Kloden?

For me this stage has Nibali all over it. Downhill finish which will really suit him and I think with not many stages left there will be enough attacks and pressure to see break chances as low. Of course, I thought that last stage and just ended up getting pissed off because Fedrigo won a sprinters stage.

Re: Cycling 2012 I agree as well, but will wait in running. Nibali looks the most likely winner though, but if a strong breakaway gets away, you never know. I think Menchov at 100/1 is way over priced, surely he has the legs to do something. You won't get that price in running if he is in the break. Same would go for Scarponi 33/1 and Cobo 33/1, who i think are good value at that price. I think I will have a small bet on above 3 anyway.

Re: Cycling 2012 Been following Dan martin's daily blog and he's been suffering with a cough and a cold for most of the last 10 days. Just can't see him recovering enough for this test. I've no doubt he'll be a big contender in years to come, starting off with Best Young Rider next year perhaps.

Re: Cycling 2012 Looks like its a good year for the breaks, but it's the usual suspects getting the wins unfortunately. Prices just up for tomorrow's stage. Going with Velits (101 ew with Bet365) and Albasini (201 ew with Bet365). Been a bit difficult to get decent prices for realistic chances from breaks this tour. Either people have been injured earlier (Kruijswijk has been tempting me all week at prices over 100 - but I've resisted) or haven't shown any form and hence they get a big price, but both Velits and Albasini have been in decent shape and have been in the breaks a few times. Velits is probably the better climber, but Albasini maybe has more "cojones". Both possess a very good uphill kick if required as well.

Re: Cycling 2012 Here the result of the contest H2H::p Wiggins or Froome? Zubeldia or Coppel? Van Garderen or Roche N? Menchov or Monfort? V.D.Broeck or Evans? Martin or Roy? Kruiswijck or Caruso? Pinot or Roland? Velits or Valverde? Casar or Vinokourov? Hornor or Kloden?

Re: Cycling 2012 I can see a breakaway staying away again tomorrow, so I can disgard anyone in the top 15. Everyone will be trying to get in the break, Cobo and Valverde were the best climbers today of the non GC contenders, surely they will see this and try and get into the break tomorrow. Vanendert at 80/1 with Hills is my other pick. He looked fairly strong today and done good work on the front. Lotto need something out of this and he can do no more for JVDB, so i think he has a good chance if he gets in the right breakaway. Cobo e/w 16/ betfred Vanendert 80/1 Corals Valverde 18/1 blue square

Re: Cycling 2012 This tour is really hard to read. The main field is quite apathetic, many times they've been in a position to chase and chosen not to, even on stages where I'd have never really entertained a break winning. For me this whole tour is backwards and rather lacklustre due to Cav being on a GC team and Wiggins and Sky having sucked the air out of any significant competition this tour. As such I find it hard to call how this stage will pan out, so will just take one for each situation: Break: Jerome Coppel @ 151 Bet365 - Promising climber whose far enough down on GC to try for a break. GC riders: Pierre Rolland @ 18 Betfair . For me the 2nd most impressive climber this tour after Froome. Froome seems to have a magnet on his back that sticks to Wiggins so Rolland it is.

Re: Cycling 2012 Fair play to Sky for as you say sucking the air out of any significant competition although it ruined it a bit from a viewing perspective. Nibali looked like a bit of a one trick pony - aim to take something out of them just prior to a descent and then hoping to get away, but he couldn't get away again yesterday and while the cameras panned away from their decent mostly, I think by then he had given up and seemed just content with his podium place. He knew he couldn't break either Wiggins or Froome, not yesterday anyway. Shame he didn't have much support but these guys are on the limit now, not much more to give. Both Wiggins and Froome helped each other out to get back to Nibali's wheel and that just expressed their dominance. At least Nibali tried and fully deserves his podium place Can't see pass much of the same today with Sky keeping it going from the front of the peleton. I hope Nibali has another go though but even if he did something magical both Froome and Wiggins would get it back on Saturday at the TT. As for betting today, I'm going to look at laying someone if they get into a break.

Re: Cycling 2012 Yeah, Sky have been absolutely brilliant. Not knocking them in that sense but from an entertainment perspective it's really taken the life out of it. Though it must also be said that there are not many strong riders here at the tour. A fit Andy Schleck, Sammy Sanchez, Alberto Contador etc. would have made for a much different tour. Still feel a bit sorry for Froome though. He looks so much stronger than Wiggins and for me at least Wiggins hasn't shown himself to be the true winner of this race.

Re: Cycling 2012 For me Wiggins hasnt had to do anything though as he has the big lead and is in a position that he has a great team mate to help him. Its up to others to attack him and they have failed. Obviously we have no idea how well Froome would have done if he hadnt been working for Wiggins and whilst I agree it would have been closer Im still not sure he would have won over Wiggins. I think Wiggins has more to give. The problem is we have no top climber at the Tour so no one has been able to put him under pressure and thats pretty much what I expected to happen. I think that only Monday's stage was a stage where we should have had a sprint and didnt so the Cav thing hasnt made much of a difference. He just hasnt had much luck to get involved at the finish bar Stage 1.

Re: Cycling 2012 From a Cav sprint POV he's only affected Monday's stage, but the stage that Millar one was also very strange. Greenedge had the break at 1'30" and had Goss in the group and just turned off the chase. There were only 5 up in the break too so it was a great chance for them to get their first stage win as only Sagan was in the group that would sprint. Just some very strange choices by the main field this year IMO.

Re: Cycling 2012

Froome the moral winner of this Tour and Wiggins certainly knows it. Wiggins will always know he won the yellow jersey while only being the best TT rider and to be fair Froome wasn't that far behind him on that.
I disagree with this, I actually dont think there would be much between them if you let Froome go off and do his own thing. Wiggins doesnt have that kick, but he can ride back up to people. Also if Froome was on another weaker team then it would be much harder for him. The Tour this year was set to be won by the guy who was the best TT rider and that is exactly what is going to happen, but Wiggins has proven he is the 2nd best mountain rider as well and fully deserves the yellow jersey in my eyes.

Re: Cycling 2012 Had the winner today with Valverde, obviously he wouldn't have won if Froome was let loose but thats the way it goes. I agree with best mate, at this point I have no doubt in my mind that Froome would be ahead, if he didn't have to mind Wiggins. He lost 1 min 25 sec in stage 1 because of a puncture. He really should be only 40 seconds behind Wiggins. Froome was baby sitting him on stage 3 where a crash saved him, it was clear that Froome could have rode on. In stage 7 Froome could easily have won that stage by more. In stage 11 to La Toussuire he would have easily have put a minute plus into Wiggins if he attacked, same can be said for today. I don't think him been on a weaker team would make a difference. He is the strongest rider by far and would have had at least 1min 30sec advantage now going into the TT. Wiggins would be joint 4th best climber for me with Sanchez. Schleck is still better and certainly Rodriguez. Contador is a mile ahead of course. Contador if around would be winning this comfortably at this stage. Froome is going riding the Vuelta, so we will know where he stands(fatigue could be an issue though) when he meets Schleck and Contador.

Re: Cycling 2012 But you have named riders who arent here I am talking about in this race which is all that really matters. You cant really tell what would have happened if Froome had of been able to race by himself as he is able to do a quick burst on a climb which Wiggins cant do, but he can climb at a steady pace. You have said all along that Wiggins could be dropped well you have been proved wrong as no one could drop him apart from maybe Froome, but we knew how he was going to race all along so I dont count him. I dont agree with you on stage 3 where a crash happened right in front of Wiggins and I believe that might have been the stage where Froome nearly went flying over the barriers. I think it would have made for a more interesting race if they had been racing each other, but its impossible to know how much time he would have gained. I actually think Wiggins might have beaten Contador this year. No one was able to get to the bottom of him in the mountains and with the Sky team so strong I think that it would have been hard for Contador to have gained enough time in the mountains which werent really that tough this year. Given Contador has struggled in the last two Tours he has maybe he isnt as good as he was before? Granted he had rideen the Giro last year, but in 2010 Schelck should have beaten him, although of course it didnt matter anyway. I heard Schleck could be out for the season so he might not be in Spain.