Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ?

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? If Fallon is 9 winners off Hanagan in the jockeys Championship and SDS is 11 off, how can SDS be 25/1 (Ladbrokes) when Fallon is best priced 11/4. I know there is little over a month left but that discrepnecy is too big

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Well spotted Fintron. If you take some of the 25s on SDS now theres a good possibilty you can guarentee yourself a profit by backing all 3 contenders.If Fallon and SDS carry on winning at a faster rate than Hanagan , Hanagans odds will surely lengthen from its current 1/3 ,2/5. I'm already on Fallon at up to 16/1 and just taken some of the 25s SDS.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? As a huge flat racing fan, I'm proud that Hanagan is our Champion jockey. He represents the sport well, is strong in the saddle and is hard working in terms of his number of rides over a year. It's a pity some of the other top jockeys aren't as consistent as he is, they could learn a thing or two from him

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ?

As a huge flat racing fan' date=' I'm proud that Hanagan is our Champion jockey. He represents the sport well, is strong in the saddle and is hard working in terms of his number of rides over a year. It's a pity some of the other top jockeys aren't as consistent as he is, they could learn a thing or two from him[/quote'] I'm afraid i'm going to have to disagree on a few points there Wizzkid.I don't think he represents the sport well, other top jockeys do it better like Hayley Turner and L Dettori.Can't imagine Hanagan presenting Top of The Pops or something similar. The top jockeys are constantly more consistant than Hanagan. Dettori , Hughes , Spencer , Fallon , Moore and Buick have a superior strike rate than Hanagan. Hanagan's 15% strike rate is pretty good but equal to Ajtebi , P Dobbs , R Hills , Turner , A Kirby , Queally and SDS.Quite a lot of others have similar strike rates .Have a glance at the statistics on the RP site. Its only the last 18 months things have clicked for Hanagan like R Fahey hitting top form and R Moore getting injured leading to the jockey championship being up for grabs.Plus getting offered more fancied rides. I'm not sure what you mean that the top jockeys could learn a thing or two from Hanagan.Surely it must be the other way round? I will agree that he is hard working in terms of numbers , you cant blame him he's close to a second championship. I bet no other jockey in history has become champion jockey by winning so many sellers and claimers.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Why have the RP online removed and disabled the comments on the " Fallon double cuts Hanagan's lead to 7 " Quite a lot of veteran racing enthusiats shared similar views as myself on the topic. Whats happened to free speech?

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Buick is a more consistent rider than Hanagan? Wow. he gives so many shocking ride it's untrue. His strike rate is only so high because he gets to ride lots of quality horses. Again, job for the boys and all. I have alot of time for Dettori but he seems to be struggling a bit recently. I always used to think he always gave his horse a chance but recently he's looked disinterested a number of times and not given good rides to a number of horses

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Yes Dettori is world class , however since his plane crash he's become very lazy.He does the occassional handicap job for his trainer friends , but normally he only gets out of bed for group class horses , even then he does not give 100% , look at his ride in the Oaks this year.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Fallon back to 7 behind again after a double last night.I think the 2/1 available is a decent bet for Fallon , you will get a good run for your money and a months entertainment. His superior strike rate and riding ability may be instrumental in his battle for the championship. If he eats into Hanagan's lead any more you will be able to hedge your bet and guarentee yourself a nice profit.I'm going in again at 2/1.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Interesting that Hanagan only has the 1 ride at York at 2:00 and then goes to Wolverhampton for 7 rides, a total of 8 rides today... Interesting one is the York one.. However he is on the favourite in the 5:40, on the fav in the 7:45, on the fav in the 8:15, on the fav in the 9:15 too!! You would have to fancy Hanagan to get at the very least 2 winners today. Fallon also has 8 rides today. I dont think he will get a winner out of his 4 rides at York, cant see any of them winning, all big prices... His best chance comes in the last at Wolverhampton on Cookieshake!! Looking at the rides my guess is Hanagan will get 3 winners today and Fallon may get 1.. Wouldnt touch that 2/1 personally

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? SDS rode a four timer at York yesterday and is two behind Fallon, however, he's got that four day ban to serve and Hanagan keeps baggin the odd winner, another two for him yesterday. Looks Hanagan's title now doesn't it?

SDS rode a four timer at York yesterday and is two behind Fallon' date=' however, he's got that four day ban to serve and Hanagan keeps baggin the odd winner, another two for him yesterday. Looks Hanagan's title now doesn't it?[/quote'] I was close to place a bet on SDS as winner but i totally forgot his ban. Im thinking about backing a long shot i Richard Hughes. Its almost imposible but whit his recent form and 34,00 in odds, im tempted. He gets 6 runs at goodwood today, whit a decent chance to win at least 3 of them.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Not surprised to see Paul Hanagan at Catterick when all the top jocks are at Champions Day at Ascot. Please don't respond with the lame excuse that he is there to ride Trip The Light in the claimer for his gaffer . Not a genuine fighting champion i say.

Not surprised to see Paul Hanagan at Catterick when all the top jocks are at Champions Day at Ascot. Please don't respond with the lame excuse that he is there to ride Trip The Light in the claimer for his gaffer . Not a genuine fighting champion i say.
Fahey has 2 horses in the last at Ascot and both have little chance of winning! Hanagan has 8 rides at Catterick. He is out to get winners, but its a bit hard to drum that into that head of yours. If the title was determined on prize-money he would be at Ascot today, but it aint!

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? In all previous years the top champion jockey contenders would still go overseas to ride in all the top horses in the top races at the cost of losing a day or few.Last year Hughes was prepared to leave for the Breeders Cup meeting at the cost of forfieting the championship. Tonight Fallon leaves for Woodbine for the Canadian International.Riding top horses in top races is what all jockeys strive to do , bar Hanagan.Seems he would pass up the chance to ride in a Gr1 to ride an odds on in a seller.

In all previous years the top champion jockey contenders would still go overseas to ride in all the top horses in the top races at the cost of losing a day or few.Last year Hughes was prepared to leave for the Breeders Cup meeting at the cost of forfieting the championship. Tonight Fallon leaves for Woodbine for the Canadian International.Riding top horses in top races is what all jockeys strive to do ' date=' bar Hanagan.Seems he would pass up the chance to ride in a Gr1 to ride an odds on in a seller.[/quote'] Look we get the point, you dont like Hanagan! Yes, i agree it seems Hanagan would prefer to ride winners in sellers rather than making a lot more money! That i respect him for.

Look we get the point, you dont like Hanagan! Yes, i agree it seems Hanagan would prefer to ride winners in sellers rather than making a lot more money! That i respect him for.
At no point do I say I don't like Hanagan , infact i actually like him , think he's a good jockey and truely believe he will become a top jockey within a couple of years. What you don't seem to understand is that he's not a genuine champion only in name. If you take other sports like boxing or snooker , if you shy away from top contenders you won't get the recognition you may deserve. With horseracing it is all about riding top class winners.Winning 187 pool matches at your local pub doesn't make you a top class pool player.

At no point do I say I don't like Hanagan , infact i actually like him , think he's a good jockey and truely believe he will become a top jockey within a couple of years. What you don't seem to understand is that he's not a genuine champion only in name. If you take other sports like boxing or snooker , if you shy away from top contenders you won't get the recognition you may deserve. With horseracing it is all about riding top class winners.Winning 187 pool matches at your local pub doesn't make you a top class pool player.
Its not Hanagan's fault the jockey title is won on number of wins you have, as i already said if it was down to prizemoney he would be at Ascot today! He is a worthy champion jockey

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Have to say I agree that its surprising the leading jockey is not at the best meeting of the year, pretty disappointing and I think it tells us that Hanangan know his limits as a jockey and fair play to him for that I suppose, many would think they are king after winning the title and want to be centre stage all the time, he doesnt, he prefers the bread and butter stuff that has gave him the best career he could have made for himself with his ability.

Re: Paul Hanagan worst Champion Jockey for years ? Why is the jockeys title settled on no of winners yet the trainers title is based on prize winnings? We can't criticise Hanagan for riding more winners than anyone else. If they changed it to prize money for winning jockeys he would have no chance but also if they changed trainers to amount of winners that would shake up that competition. If Hanagan wins the title again its due to riding more winners, regardless of his ability in the saddle. A shame he doesn't get more top class rides because then we could assess him fairly in comparison to his rivals.

If Fallon is 9 winners off Hanagan in the jockeys Championship and SDS is 11 off' date=' how can SDS be 25/1 (Ladbrokes) when Fallon is best priced 11/4. I know there is little over a month left but that discrepnecy is too big[/quote'] SDS is 7 off PH now best price 8/1 , but has a 4 day suspension comming up this week.

SDS is 7 off PH now best price 8/1 ' date=' but has a 4 day suspension comming up this week.[/quote'] Fair play to SDS, he's giving it a real good go. I had a decent bet on him at 25/1 with Laddies and laid it off at 20/1 on Betfair late last week as I think this 4 day suspension may just cost him. Would have been great to see them going at it without the suspensions though.

• 3 weeks later...

2 years running :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap That's like saying Man U are the worse team :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin End of the day he his the Champion so congratulations Paul Hanagan :notworthy