Grand National Thread

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grand National Thread Terrible in terms of horses that won't be making it back from the race, especially on the first fence they omitted. No screens up, just a sheet over a dead horse :sad Great performance by Ballybriggs, mind. Don't Push It ran a blinder too.

Re: Grand National Thread

Two for me both with proven records at Aintree over these fences and e/w shots. Vic Venturi at 90 on betfair. He won the Becher in 2009 ok that was a while ago but still has that win to his name. I thought he was going well enough last year even though he found a lot of trouble and eventually unseated at the 20th. For an e/w bet I thought 90 for the win and 17 for the place looked good. The other one is State of Play at 40 on betfair. Has run two big races in the last two years 4th and 3rd. He knows his way around here and another one who as an e/w shot looks a decent shout. Good Luck what ever you're on :D
What a great effort from State of Play to pick up a place was a long way back. Three times in a row now he's placed that's some effort placed at 8.6 on betfair will do me. Well done to the ones who got the winner. :clap

He hopes to take 3 of his rides tomorrow (not attempting Sagalyrique for some reason, Paddy Brennan takes the job), and obviously Saturday thereafter. Wayne, much as I love Ballabriggs, he has to carry the torch for Presenting, who hasn't sired a classy 4m+ chaser. He's one of my 3 (Main bets were Backstage and Big Fella) but i'm least confident about him.
Great ride from Jason McGuire there, he made Oscar Time's jockey look like an amateur. I had a smaller bet on Ballabriggs than the other 2, for the life of me, in hindsight, I have no idea why :) :notworthy

Great ride from Jason McGuire there, he made Oscar Time's jockey look like an amateur. I had a smaller bet on Ballabriggs than the other 2, for the life of me, in hindsight, I have no idea why :) :notworthy
I'm not sure Sam could've done anything more than that. In fact to do a King George and Gold Cup double and finish 2nd in National is absolutely magnificent. I used to question him, but he is a pretty good jockey.

Terrible in terms of horses that won't be making it back from the race, especially on the first fence they omitted. No screens up, just a sheet over a dead horse :sad Great performance by Ballybriggs, mind. Don't Push It ran a blinder too.
Agree great performance from Ballabriggs under a brilliant ride Didnt think that was great that horse had no screens up just a sheet not nice very sad for connections thoughts with them!

Re: Grand National Thread Gutted for the 2 horses that died. As much as it was a cracking race, I have to say I shed a tear when they missed the 2 fences out and saw the 2 horses dead, one with a screen round and the other with a sheet over it. Very, very sad indeed. Well done to those on Ballabriggs.

Re: Grand National Thread Very sad for the two horses, do you not think the camerman could have easily avoided the scenes, like all they have to do is look at back runners and switch to front runners to avoid, dont think any viewing public really wants to see horses laying like that. I guess just part and parcel of horse racing, particularly jumps :(

Re: Grand National Thread Why avoid any scenes at all? We know horses die in horse racing. I know it possibly would "protect" racing from people, who have no clue about the sport and will use these scenes to write and talk in the media about "treating horses badly" and all that shite. But horses will die and continue to die and the most important thing is to protect jockeys and other horses by omitting these fences. It's absolute nonsence what is written in the RP at the moment. Horses enjoy racing and love to race. If they don't fancy it, they will refuse like King Johns Castle did last year.

Re: Grand National Thread It's like anything, we know it happens but doesnt mean it has to be shown. We know a footballer runs a risk of getting a nasty tackle, but if the televisions can help it, they prefer not to show us the guys bone sticking out through his skin, its personal opinion I guess. I love horse racing, I personally would have preferred my viewing had I not seen both those scenes in the middle of enjoying the race.

Why avoid any scenes at all? We know horses die in horse racing. I know it possibly would "protect" racing from people, who have no clue about the sport and will use these scenes to write and talk in the media about "treating horses badly" and all that shite. But horses will die and continue to die and the most important thing is to protect jockeys and other horses by omitting these fences. It's absolute nonsence what is written in the RP at the moment. Horses enjoy racing and love to race. If they don't fancy it, they will refuse like King Johns Castle did last year.

Re: Grand National Thread The sight of a dead horse covered in a sheet marred the race for me. There must have been a way of not showing that? But horses getting killed in the National isnt a new thing. What have they done in the past when there is a stricken horse? They have never had to omit fences before.

The sight of a dead horse covered in a sheet marred the race for me. There must have been a way of not showing that? But horses getting killed in the National isnt a new thing. What have they done in the past when there is a stricken horse? They have never had to omit fences before.
I must admit in all the years of watching racing [ and thats a few ] i have NEVER seen the sight of a dead horse being covered only by a piece of tarpaulin......disgraceful imo .:( At least the unfortunate horse that died at Bechers had the dignity of screens being erected around him . Surely there should be screens around EVERY stricken runner !! The anti's will now have a field day due to this and it's their views that may turn a few once -a -year punters away from having an interest in next years race . Racing has to make sure it copes with these events as best they can , of course there will be fatalities in this race and in many others throughout the season, but THIS IS the sports showpiece , the Gold Cup is for the purists the NATIONAL is for the people ....but i'm sure a small percentage will be put off by what they seen today . The most galling attitude will be the response of the Papers ...after days of free bets , sweepstake kits and ,rightfully, hyping the event up they will now be full of 'Can the National be justified ' crap ..:@ On a personal note , and it must be age :\, but it does get a wee bit harder to try and justify to myself trying to make a profit in a sport where death and injury to these beautiful animals is a daily occurence but it's the fact that the people who are actually connected to the horses accept it and carry on that makes me realise it's not just about the money ...:)

Re: Grand National Thread I put up a link a few months ago to what had happened in Australia - JUMP RACING WAS BANNED. Anyone who underestimates the anti-racing eejits needs to stop and think. It happened to fox hunting, it can easily happen again. And I for one don't want it. The producers should have been a lot cuter. That was horrific looking today.

Re: Grand National Thread How? I am watching with my family 4 kids various age don't wish them to see the scenes they saw but how can you cut it?It is a live race. Horses die every year in the national I have not witnessed the scenes like today for time but have we been that lucky every year are all the antie-jumps brigade right. The horses are doing what they love some are unlucky and land bad every trainer before the race says I hope he/she gets around but every horse is trained to enjoy getting around.

Re: Grand National Thread Shurely they could focus on the back markers whilst the leaders are going by the stricken horse then cut back to the leaders when they're clear. Not exactly rocket science. The industry need to tread more carefully in view of what has happened elsewhere. I watched with my wife and kids and had to look at a couple of rather sad faces when I explained they were probably dead. I never thought fox hunting could seriously be outlawed.

Re: Grand National Thread I maybe naive here. I'm from a city but I don't understand how fox hunting has things to do with horseracing. Fox hunting is what it says on the tin horse racing is what it says on its tin.I personally don't understand fox hunting but surely thats for another website don't the cubs get chased out and culled?

Re: Grand National Thread http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375210/Grand-National-2011-Ballabriggs-wins-day-drama-Aintree.html Some pretty horrid images Markmy, i may be going off tangent a bit, but I'm concerned that jumps racing could come under threat here like it has in other countries (and where other unpopular sports with the animal rights groups have here). Aintree's failure to provide screens for one of the horses was bad enough, I feel the beeb could have been a bit more reactive too.

Re: Grand National Thread I understand what your saying Diamond but the Mail can't wait to show photos like that but even if the beeb blacked the screen going past that fence the mail would have this photo in the morning to sell papers which is on the face of it barbaric.

Re: Grand National Thread sorry i am a bit lost, we all punt in a sport where horses die, that is a fact whether it is on the gallops or on the course yet now i am reading that people were sickened by what they saw?? sorry this is double standards

Re: Grand National Thread Its not that the horses were killed, im aware that happens and im relatively comfortable with it in the sense that its what they are bred to do and they love doing it. But on the biggest day in the racing calendar, the nation was shown the sight of a dead horse covered by a sheet, which is a bit explicit compared to having the screens up. I just think the BBC could have been a bit more savvy about handling it, given the type of audience they were catering to today.

so publishing a photo of a horse falling to its death is the right thing to do?? Really i am totally lost here as to the recent posts
A typical Daily Mail move to publish that photo and make a fuss over it. Poor but probably to be expected of them nowadays.