** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011

kevshat

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Wow, shocker day all round it seems. Nothing you can do when a decent side just doesn't show up and gets bowled out for 58! -15 for me and brings the tournament total way down to +4.53 points. Shame because Gayle looked good, and Bangladesh didn't look like hitting any sixes. Just not enough runs to work with for both bets to cop unfortunately. Also a no-show from Zimbabwe in their game as well meaning people didn't really get a run for money in that game either. Onwards and upwards anyway!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011

Well this is some bullshit. Nothing you can do when a team gets bowled out for 58. Think we just need to forget about this one and move on. Scrolling up' date=' I can't even see a single winner. Let's turn this shit around tomorrow.[/quote'] Kevs Thomas bet is a winner... 3 catches brings it in without him batting!

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Taking an early one for the SA v England game. SA v England - Century to be scored - Yes (EVS William Hill) Sky Sports just had an interview with Ian Ward who has spoken to the groundsman. He has said that it is a great batting pitch and 340-350 is looking like a par score on this pitch. South Africa have a very good batting line up who have started the tournament off well. De Villiers has hit a century in both games so far and Amla joined in with a century against the Netherlands. They also have Smith and Kallis who Im sure will hit a big score sooner rather than later. England have been poor with the ball so far with Anderson and Broad struggling. Poor bowling against a good batting team on a cracking batting pitch will only lead to one thing. Big Scores. If none of the South African players hit a century then there is a good chance one of the England players may help me out. The bowlers may not be performing and there are problems in the field but there has been nothing wrong with the batting. So far we have hit 327, 338 and 296; Strauss, Pietersen, Trott and Bell have all looked in good nick and Ward was talking about Bopara possibly coming in for Yardy which would add another quality batter. I believe SA have a better bowling attack than any of the teams we have faced so far but with the good pitch and the good form of the batsmen there is every chance of one of our batting line up hittting a century

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 That hurt bigtime. -24.3pts overall now. Going on the attack tomorrow in a game I've been waiting for. 4pts Australia to beat Sri Lanka Evs Boylesports I really like Australia here. Sri Lanka rely way too much on their top 4 for my liking but even so the wickets here at Premadasa have been going really up and down in the last couple of matches. Even the Kenyan seamers were getting a few balls to misbehave so if they are doing it you definitely don't want to be facing Tait, Lee and Johnson on this sort of wicket. History says if Australia win the toss they win the match but even if they lose it I think they could go through this Sri Lanka side if the wicket continues to misbehave. As long as when they bat they play Murali and Mendis/Herath well then I fully believe this is Australia's to lose. 6pts Under 4.5 6's Evs Ladbrokes This isn't the highest line for a solid bet on the unders but I'm hitting it anyway. None of the matches here so far have seen close to this amount being hit and two of the three matches have involved Canada and Kenya. These two met in an ODI series in Australia on much better wickets than this is in terms of the ball coming onto the bat which you'd want in order to hit 6's and none of the three matches saw this line covered. Sri Lanka don't hit too many 6's and Australia aren't the side they were when Hayden, Gilly and Symonds were around. Both sides possess very good bowling attacks who won't be easy to get away. Pakistan's explosive line up could only take SL's attack minus Malinga for one six on this ground so I don't see the Aussies smoking. SL just don't hit many full stop so it's hefty on the unders here. 3pts Over 16 wickets to fall 7/4 Sportingbet Canada and Pakistan were both bowled out on this ground on Thursday and if the Canadian attack is causing problems both these should. Admittedly these batting lineup's are better than Canada's but these are two good bowling attacks. History shows chasing a score here is nigh on impossible and most chasing sides end up all out under lights. Can the first innings yield 7 wickets? With Lee, Tait and Johnson on one side and Malinga, Murali and Mendis on the other I think it can so I'll hit the overs here. 3pts A.Mathews' Performance Pts - 36&Over 11/10 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. I've said before I like the look of Angelo Mathews as a limited overs cricketer. With the bat he can play the rebuild innings or the slap bang wallop innings and he's effective with the ball too. He covered this line against Pakistan on this ground and I see no reason why he can't cover a low looking line here. With Perera out of the side he should bowl at least 8 overs if not the full 10 and although he's set to bat at 7 in this SL line up, if an attack is going to get him in it's Tait, Lee et al. Chuck in the fielding potential too and I think we've got a line which is more than low enough for such a talented all round cricketer to cover.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Australia @ 1.92 (Sportsbet) This World Cup has really shown how much of a benefit a strong attacking bowling attack can bring. Tait, Lee, Johnson are all wicket-takers, and when they are on their game, they will simply beat anyone in the world. The only problem is, when they aren't on their game, things can get ugly. Johnson has taken 8 wickets in 2 games so far this tournament so he definitely looks in good form. Lee looked in good form as well in the last game against NZ. When he can keep the bowling tight from one end, it allows Ponting to give Tait/Johnson a few more overs to try and get a breakthrough if things aren't going their way. As Kev mentioned, SL have a very strong Top 4, but if they don't lay the base for a big innings, SL seem to really struggle. Murali could be a problem, but with Clarke being a great player of spin, and Watson and Haddin showing they don't self-destruct when they are required to face spin in the early overs. History at this ground is also another issue. The coin toss seems to be extremely important, although I think both these sides are more than capable of going against that history, with both sides having potential match-winners in their line up.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 S. Watson - Australia Top Scorer @ 4.00 (Betchoice) Of the last 8 official ODI's played by Australia, Watson has top scored in 4 of them. One of these where he didn't top score he scored a 50 as well. He is clearly in good form at the moment, and I think odds of 4.00 for the Australian opener are really good. He really excels in the Powerplay and it seems to help him get his eye in. He can play spin as well as pace, and as a result, if he doesn't get out cheaply, he usually goes on to make a pretty decent score.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Batsman Bet - M. Clarke to beat M. Jayawardene @ 1.98 Basically 2 quality players both coming in a number 4. Jayawardene has had a couple good innings lately, but those have come against Canada and WI, both of which don't have the quality and wicket-taking ability as this Australian attack has. Jayawardene played in the 3 ODI series that SL won in Australia at the end of last year, although he left with a top score of just 19. A lot was made of Clarke being out of form for Australia, but of the last 4 innings he has 3 50+ scores. Similarly, against SL last year, he ended with scores of 25,27 and 50*, showing his ability to play spin through the middle overs. I think Clarke should be favourite here so taking this bet.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Just taken Smith @ 8/1 hussey @14/1and krezja @ 5/1 basically stake a combined 9.68 points and if any of them are top Aussie bowler, there will be a win of about 27.4 points! Worth a punt at those odds on an extremely dry wicket, where the spinners will be utilised!

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Been trying to post these since seven pm yesterday; had mad troubles logging in. But anyway, big, big toss bias at Colombo so will refrain from picking a winner until I see who is batting first. Trying to turn around a bad few days with the following: 6pts Sri Lanka Extras Over 15.5 5/6 Ladbrokes 3pts Total Match Extras Over 27.5 5/6 Ladbrokes To clarify to everyone the first line is the total number of extras that Australia will give away when they bowl. I was hoping this line would be something around this because Australia give away quite a few. So far in their two matches this tournament, they've given away 18 and 24 extras and in their warm up matches they also gave away a further 29 and 18. If Tait, Lee or Johnson slide one down leg.. its four. It's as simple as that. There will be at least 10 wides tomorrow and that is the majority of this sorted. Sri Lanka bat long too so there'll be plenty of time for these to be wrapped up. In terms of the Total Match Extras, I shall play with smaller stakes because barring Malinga, the Sri Lankan bowlers are quite disciplined. Against Pakistan, they only conceded 9 and 12 versus Kenya. Malinga comes in and all of a sudden it reaches 19. On a bad day, Australia can cover both of these easy. There's too much pace on show for there not to be wides and with the aforementioned bowlers high no balls and leg byes are never too far away. 3pts Brad Haddin Performance Pts 41 & Over 5/6 Bet365 Haddin has the ability to cover this with the bat alone (which he did last time out). He also can clear the majority of this with the gloves. I sound like a broken record saying this over and over but there is too much pace on show for there not to be a few edges tomorrow. So far, Brad Haddin has taken seven catches in two games, with six of those coming off the three seamers and one from Krezja. The Sri Lankan batsman all have average records against Australia too. They don't seem to be a fan of the pace so I think Haddin will snag one or two tomorrow behind the stumps. 22 runs has been cleared twice in his world cup games too so far so I think this is a slightly generous line for the keeper. 3pts Australia Most Sixes 11/10 Bet365, Willhill It's been said before in this thread that Sri Lanka rarely hit sixes. They are more stroke players than all out big hitters and I just feel that this line is just a touch too high considering Watson, Haddin, White, Johnson & Lee will line up on the opposition side. Will be keeping this low incase Angelo Mathews gets hold of a few loose ones but still. Australia restricted New Zealand to zero sixes last week and I see something similar happening tomorrow. 1pt Michael Clarke Top Australia Batsman 5/1 Boylesports Best player of spin, simple as that. Sri Lanka have been saying that they are thinking of playing with three front-line spinners against the Aussies tomorrow and Clarke is the best player at combatting that. He will get time at the crease too there is no doubting that. I feel he could provide perfect anchoring for the Aussies tomorrow and may even be there at the end. He’s not out of touch, he scored well with a 59* against Zimbabwe’s swpin attack and was also not out versus NZ. Clarke to top score for me at a nice price.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 England v South Africa - South Africa -2.5 Wickets/20.5 Runs @ 5/6 Sportingbet I have SA as the side to win this comp. They've looked useful with the bat so far with their top order scoring well and England have bowled/ ielded poorly so I think we'll see a big total should SA bat first, England have scored well also but SA with a strong attack which I think can limit England.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Sport Cricket Event South Africa v England Selection Lay England (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 06/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Totesport @ 2.73 Reasoning Try agtain to go against England. It's the bowling - it just isn't good enough. Ireland were smashing it all over the place, India probably should have made more against this dross and even Netherlands did OK against it. South Africa have Amla in great for and de Villiers is hitting it better than anybody. They look better balanced side South Africa, especially with Tanvir in the side giving a quality spin options. Englands batting looks decent, but they'll have to bat incredibly to make up for the bowling. Like South Africa to win this.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 3pts - England to beat South Africa - Sportingbet - 17/10 Might be mad but I think England are being written off a bit quick here for a few reasons... England seem to have developed what Ian Dowie would describe as 'bounce-back-ability' since Andy Flower has been in charge. Barring the ODI series in Australia which turned out to be a bit of a 'after the lord mayors show' affair... We came back brilliantly from the poor performances in the ashes and ended up winning and we are T20 world champs despite losing to Holland in 2009. Whether he screams and shouts, guilt trips them or blackmails them Flower seems has history of turning our no-hopers round! I think after all the stick and the furor after the Ireland loss, I think we will be highly motivated against the Proteas who although won't want to lose, know they will probably qualify even if they did, whereas England must beat one of the big teams to prevent an early exit. I'm also stealing some of Kevshats knowledge when I say Sourh Africa aren't one of the best teams at playing spin. Graeme Swann is one of the best ranked spinners in the world and has been round long enough to exploit conditions and situation to his advantage. Strauss, Bell, Trott and Pietersen are all in good nick with the willow and Bresnan at least has wickets under his belt already to aid Swann, Yardy is always hard to get away, leaving Broad and Anderson who are world class and surely this is the match for them to prove it! Hopefully it's not my heart ruling my head but I fancy an England return to form. :hope

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Only one I like in the early match tomorrow. 4pts England to beat South Africa 17/10 Sportingbet I like England at this price. I still don't believe all the hype about South Africa. Sure they've got a guy who can bowl a bit of spin and very good he is too but three of England's top 4 have spent a season and more facing him in the nets with their counties so his threat is very much tamed in this match. South Africa have two major problems in my eyes in this match. Firstly they can't play spin, they've shown in the past they can't play Swann and I'm certain this Chennai track will turn. The other problem they have is their batting lineup just isn't long enough in my eyes, especially if they play the 3 spinners and as bad as England have been with the ball so far I believe we have enough to get through the top order. I expect a much stronger England performance here. We usually bounce back from adversity and other than perhaps de Villiers I don't see a Kevin O'Brien in this South African line up. England were given the week off from strong fielding drills when they arrived in India but that was made up for on Friday and Saturday and with the batting in tip top form then if the bowlers can get through this top order unscathed I see England winning this and taking top spot in the group for at least a few hours.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 3 for the second match tomorrow. 4pts Y.Singh's Performance Pts - 42&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Yuvraj made 58 off 50 against England on this track and I don't see any demons for him in this Irish attack. This match is on the same wicket that match eas played on so we know he goes well on it. His left arm spin was pretty mundane against England but we've seen it before, the Irish haven't and we saw how they collapsed to the Bangladeshi spinners in their first game so wickets are certainly not beyond him. Chuck in that he fields in good positions and we've got 3 solid scoring methods for someone to cover a reasonably low total by his high standards. 3pts One or more stumpings 5/4 Sportingbet Ireland have had someone stumped in both innings in this tournament so far and India will hit them with 4 or 5 spinners so in the quest for quick runs they could easily step down to the wrong ball trying to send it into orbit only to swing at thin air and keep on walking. Dhoni is one of the best in the business at the stumpings but Niall O'Brien is no mug with the gloves either. Ireland have Dockrell and a host of medium pacers who can lure the batsman down the track so this looks like an acceptable price on a stumping. 2pts K.O'Brien Over 0.5 6's 7/2 Ladbrokes I think big Kev O'Brien is a big price here. He's cleared the ropes in both his matches so far and even Ajmal Shahzad swiped this Indian attack over the ropes here last Sunday. As did Andrew Strauss and Ian Bell, neither of whom you'd call regular 6 hitters. Big Kev is a natural six hitter. There was no huge surprise in his approach against England and what impressed me most was he hit the right balls away. He didn't try and hit every ball. Once he's got himself in, if he gets himself in, then one of these Indian spinners will stick one in his arc and then the £££ signs will appear in his eyes and the kerching kerching kerching noises enter his eardrums and he'll swing for glory. Big Kev has 4 innings left in this tournament minimum, if one more of them is a cameo then he's a gimme for the IPL, if it's here the 0's will be added with every shot he plays so at 7/2 against a bowling attack which has already conceded 8 6's in two matches so far in the tournament I think O'Brien is overpriced especially with a mishit highly likely to need catching in the stands. Overs for me here.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Honestly can't decipher between the two teams tomorrow so I'm going to refrain from most bets other than a few speculative lower-order top bats: 1pt ew R. Bopara Top England Batsman 8/1 Coral (1/5, 1-3) 1pt ew JP Duminy Top South African Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5, 1-3) Bopara is not guaranteed a start as we all know but if he is, I genuinely think he's in with a chance of a place. South Africa have the bowling attack to rip through our top order there's no doubting that. I really wouldn't be surprised if we ended up 100/4 tomorrow and required someone down the order to steady the ship and/or be there at the end. Equally I can see someone like Ravi being the 'finisher' we really lack at the moment and coming in and freeing his arms trying to score as many runs as possible. If he gets a chance, I'm sure he'll want to impress in every way he can. Collingwood and Yardy are not producing the goods right now so there'll be no better opportunity to make an impression. He has the talent to do it and I will play with two points that he does, given the chance. Duminy is a more straightforward bet. He is a top player and often goes unnoticed in the South African batting line-up. He has an average well in excess of 40 and can also score very quickly if needed as we saw in the last match. Graeme Smith is very short of form and Jacques Kallis hasn't got going this world cup at all. Duminy has every chance of scoring in the top three and again I will play that he does at a decent price.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 5pts England to beat SA at 13/8 with Bet365 Not going to go too much into this one as posters above me have said what needs to be said. At this price England are value - simple as that. Neither of these sides will win the tournament for my money, but as a matchup this is a favourable one for England. I think that the middle overs will be key, and this is where I fancy England to excel.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Not a lot of value floating around in the second match. Only going in with the following. 3pts Fall of the First Indian Wicket Over 45.5 runs 5/6 Willhill Very high line but one that I think is more than achievable. Basically there are two things that need to be looked at here. The first is the Ireland opening bowlers and the second is the Indian opening batsmen. The Irish opening bowlers are not saying much at all. They have played twice so far this world cup and have conceded this line to both Strauss/Pietersen and Tamim/Kayes. Tomorrow Rankin and Johnson will be sending the ball down the track to two of the greatest batsmen in our generation at India's home ground in a very hostile atmophere. We've already seen what these two can do this tournament with both hitting centuries already. They've played twice and cleared this twice and I think they'll do it again tomorrow. I'm keeping stakes low-ish incase either look for a biggie and get it all wrong but I'm quietly confident they won't. Was going to go for Sachin as Top Bat too but the best price of 3.25 was just too short for me. Maybe look in play for further markets.

Re: Cricket: ICC World Cup 2011 Excellent shout Bigmac :clap. One more for me in this first match. 2pts G.Swann Top England Bowler 9/4 Coral I'm never a huge fan of taking short prices in this market because of the dead heat rules but I'll make an exception here because this wicket has turned square all day so far. England's seamers aren't the most potent and on this wicket I don't see them doing much until later in the innings if we take it that long, when it reverse swings. Strauss simply has to open with a spinner and with Swann twice as good as Yardy I'm hoping it will be him he opens with. Swann bowls well to left handers so he could take care of Smith early doors. Track is definitely helping the spinners so with two spinners playing 9/4 in a two horse race looks good enough to me.

Yup :ok
Got a few outrights improving in recent matches... Trott is catching Strauss... Pollard up on the sixes with games to come, Kumar well in front for Sri and Benn all over Mcullum at the mo... To name a few I can remember!

Kevshat; you seem to be very knowledgeable bout most sports. Was thinking of tailing your bets. Hope you dont mind me asking, whats your best sport? How do you find time to do so many sports, do you do this full time? Finally whats your y-td total on all your sports so far this year and where you up in 2010? All the best mate, looking forward to making some £
Cricket and darts are my best sports statistically. No I don't do it full time. Prior to today's bets I'm +84.66 for the year so far and yes I was comfortably up in 2010.
If I bet top bowler in a match and he takes same amount of wickets as another does it go to least runs conceeded or is it a tie?
Most places dead heat it however some, Bet365 definitely and I think there are others settle on least runs conceded when there's a tie. It's always worth checking the rules with the bookie you are betting with before you bet as you'll also know where you stand should rain interfere too.
Got a few outrights improving in recent matches... Trott is catching Strauss... Pollard up on the sixes with games to come' date=' Kumar well in front for Sri and Benn all over Mcullum at the mo... To name a few I can remember![/quote'] I still think SL will go further than SA and the Windies are looking ok too. Also Bravo is 2 runs behind Gayle in the Windies batting list and Shakib should come through to complete the double with RTD so lots of potentials in terms of outrights. I should also say that prior to India vs Ireland, Trott is 4th overall in the run list :ok.