** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion

bowles10

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Friday 2:40 Cheltenham: Tornado Bob 3pts win 1pt place 25/1 Bet365 NRNB Looking at the prices on Betfair its less likely that Tornado Bob will run in this. However, if he is not declared to run in the Neptune tomorrow, then he will surely shorten up and with non runner no bet, its worth a go.... Tornado Bob could be another top notcher for Donald McCain. Tornado Bob ran a cracker to lose out to Sonofvic last time at Ascot and that horse is very highly rated by Paul Nicholls. Prior to that Tornado Bob had chalked up a couple of wins at Leicester and Uttoxeter. Looks a horse with lots of potential and will be worth serious consideration if he runs earlier in the week, however if Tornado Bob runs in this, he looks to have a better chance and is a bigger price.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion

Somersby could go for the Ryanair.
At the Newbury Cheltenham Preview there was speculation AP could be on board Somersby if he runs in the Ryanair. Kempes and Captain Cee Bee go for other races, Alberta's Run might be Gold Cup bound. If Somersby runs here will start favourite even if Frost is on board, if AP rides likely to start getting on for half of today's best price. Get on:ok

At the Newbury Cheltenham Preview there was speculation AP could be on board Somersby if he runs in the Ryanair. Kempes and Captain Cee Bee go for other races, Alberta's Run might be Gold Cup bound. If Somersby runs here will start favourite even if Frost is on board, if AP rides likely to start getting on for half of today's best price. Get on:ok
Hen Knight gets far too much stick i feel, she loves horses to bits, i hope she gets some nice wins very soon as she's such a nice lady.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Hen is a lady and a legend - best mate was one of the best horses and I will always remember her and Terry running excitedly to the press tent she deserved her time with such a briliantly handled horse - Jenny Pitman and Henrietta Knight the Grand dames of Racing :clap

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion I have written a piece on the Foxhunter and thought I would stick it up on here. Hope it helps you find the winner of the race. Baby Run Last year’s winner will have a new pilot aboard this time round as William Twiston-Davies comes in for the ride after brother Sam turned professional. The partnership have had two starts this term and won both very easily, suggesting that Baby Run is in as good heart as last year, with reports from the yard in full agreement. William is a very promising jockey but has to be careful not to go too fast out in front as he could be taken on for the lead this year. That is a slight worry as is the fact I think he barely stays the trip. I know that seems a funny comment but last year he was legless on the run in and was lucky that nothing else could raise a gallop either. It was the same the year before when he finished third to Cappa Bleu, but on that occasion he was outstayed. All in all I think he deserves to be favourite and will be backing him as a saver because I find it very hard to see him finish out of the first three, although I just wonder if something might out stay him again. On The Fringe Current second favourite and Ireland’s main hope for the race, however Enda Bolger has suggested that the 6yo may not actually run as he thinks it may come too soon for him. If he does come over he won’t be carrying my money as I thought he was flattered to win at Punchestown by so far last season and was not overly impressive at Leopardstown on his seasonal reappearance either. He is progressive but the Irish Hunter Chasers are not a great bunch and he will be under-priced because of connections. Dante’s Storm Followers of my Hunter Chase tips will know I have already tipped up this horse at 20/1 before his very easy win at Folkestone. I won’t repeat what I wrote there but for newcomers, I have had this horse on my radar since 2008 and after having 2010 off through injury, we will finally get to see just how good he is. He has been steadily campaigned up to this point by Phil York (who will ride him) and current trainer Alan Hill, and it was pleasing to read that Hill has as high an opinion of him as I do. After hacking up at Detling in a very quick time, he then did the same at Folkestone. Mount Sandel was behind on both occasions but was beaten further at Folkestone and I saw him win at Detling a couple of weeks ago to help boost the form. His jumping reminds me of Kauto Star in that when he is good he is very good but he just seems to throw in the odd howler, although to date he has never looked like falling and has jumped around Newbury. He is a keen traveller but given Mount Sandel was upside him for a while at Folkestone, I don’t think he needs to be out on his own, you just need to let him bowl along. I don’t envisage a problem with him getting home and as long as he stays on his feet, I really do think he will win as he has only had ten races and is open to even more improvement. Gone To Lunch It is amazing that this horse is still with us as he very nearly died last year from shipping fever. He has come back this season to win two point to points including the Coronation Gold Cup at Larkhill. The form of those two wins would give him a chance but the issue is he is not going to be improving at 11 and his record over fences at Cheltenham is woeful as he has pulled up twice. He is one of those who would not surprise if he did win but will not be carrying my money next Friday. Just Amazing Paul Nicholls left this race alone last year but has a likely contender in the shape of Just Amazing this time around. He won twice here as a novice so that is a plus to his chances and I really wouldn’t read too much into his unimpressive win at Taunton. That came just four days after winning easily at Sandown (he needed to run again to qualify for the race) and I think he was just idling in front with the ground also being soft enough for him. He can make mistakes and is another front runner but stays well and I would not want to discount him in a hurry. Sericina A few people fancied this mare for the race last year but she fell at the unlucky 13th. She had a couple of easy wins in Ladies Open’s before winning at Ffos Las. I’m not sure the form of that race is strong enough and the second horse, Herons Well, who went onto win a weak Fontwell race, will actually be weighted to beat her at Cheltenham. She clearly has ability but the fact she failed to get round last year is a concern as is her jockey/trainer Chloe Roddick. She has improved a little as a rider but I really think she will get caught out in a race like this and am not fully convinced the horse is good enough to win anyway. Outsiders Jaunty Flight is the big hope of the North this year and I have been told they think he is better than Amicelli, winner of this race in 2008. He had lost his way under rules but a couple of point wins should have the confidence back. He stays well and might pick up the pieces should they go too hard up front, although he may need soft ground to show his best. I mentioned Herons Well above and he, along with Picaroon, have the highest official ratings. Herons Well looks a doubtful stayer to me, although Picaroon is interesting. Trained by Tim Vaughn’s wife, he has hacked up in a couple of Ladies Open’s and holds claims. Overall I still have plenty of confidence in Dante’s Storm’s chances of winning the 2011 Foxhunter’s. He finally gets a chance to prove how good he is and if he is as good as the trainer and I think, then he holds a massive chance. 10/1 still seems a reasonable price for those who missed the 20/1. Baby Run has to be backed to save stakes as well as I find it very hard to see him not being in the first three. I will probably add a third horse to the list nearer the time which will either be Jaunty Flight, if there is cut in the ground, or Just Amazing if it is on the faster side.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Binocular misses Champion defence 13 Mar 2011 Nicky Henderson has been dealt a hammer blow with the news that Binocular will miss Tuesday's stanjames.com Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham. The current champion had been heading the ante-post market at around the 7-2 mark just hours before Sunday's declaration time. The JP McManus-owned gelding was treated for an allergy two weeks ago and did not respond to initial medication and required further treatment. Unfortunately Binocular then tested positive for a substance and on the British Horseracing Authority's advice, Henderson was forced to withdraw the horse. In a statement to Press Association Sport, Henderson said: "We have very regretfully had to decide not to declare Binocular for Tuesday's Champion Hurdle." He added: "Binocular had an allergy two weeks ago that did not respond to initial medication and on veterinary advice and well within normal parameters he required a further treatment the following day. "As we were getting close to the most important race of the year and also because since that administration to Binocular, another horse had tested positive for the same substance, I thought it prudent to take a precautionary test which not only surprisingly, let alone devastatingly, has also shown to be positive. "We have therefore reluctantly had to take the BHA's advice this morning that the only reasonable course in everybody's interest is not to confirm the entry and he has consequently been withdrawn from the Champion Hurdle. "We are all obviously shattered but I am particularly upset for JP (McManus) who has been incredibly understanding as I know how much this horse means to him

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Why are the bookies refunding other than PR though? What about all other bets? Aegean Dawn was fine earlier in the week when I backed him, lost my money though. No bother, that is the risk of nate post betting but what is the difference?

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion RSA CHASE AITEENTHIRTYTHREE 1pt win - 8/1 Bet365 I have just done this race and see this horse as exceptional value at 8/1. Personally i think it will start around 5/1 on Wednesday. The bookies have TFR short in the market due to its 2 wins so far this season but not having a run since 11th Dec is a massive negative for the favourite and 2/ is far too short. 1833 would become the first horse in 0 years apart from Denman to win this unbeaten over fences but Nicholls will know what he has and has already stated this horse is his next star and will line up in the Hennessey in November 2011. The race looks a fairly decent contest with 2 horses from Ireland merit respect but there are enough negatives across the entire field and i cant find anything wrong with this one.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion If anyone received an email advising of subscribing to the McManus gambles, they advertised the fact that a horse running in the Pertemps on Thursday would be punted into possibly 3/1 on the day, the only horse punted seriously in the last few days in SIVOTA who is now as low as 7/1 fav and is trained by Mullins therefore i assume this is the horse they are referring to.

Is there anywhere where I can find easily how the horses competing at Cheltenham this year did last year if they run ???
The racing post always cover in a section of the paper titled Previous Festival form otherwise you will need to look through the form on Rp or Sporting life