** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion

bowles10

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion First Cheltenham bet small stakes treble. Not sure these are the races that the horses will go for or if they will go to Cheltenham but I have done a Dermot Weld treble! Bet taken with Bet365 £20 treble Supreme Novices - Hidden Universe 10/1 Only had one run over hurdles and was very impressive. Obviously Cue Card is the most likely winner but other than that horse I think it is rather open so I am going to take a chance on this one. Well beaten in the champion bumper last year but then came back to win the grade 1 bumper at punchestown. Hopefully that run at Cheltenham was a slight blip and he can show his true colours this time round. Triumph Hurdle Unaccompanied 16/1 Only had the 1 run over hurdles so taking a chance with this one. Won by 9 lengths and never came off the bridle. Didn't beat much though so its hard to assess this performance. This race has no obvious favourite and although marsh warbler is current favourite, I don't think he will start favourite on the day. More open race than the supreme novices especially after the disappointing efforts of sam winner and smad place last week. Marsh Warbler could turn out to be a top class horse after giving them 2 a pretty convincing beating but I am going to take a chance that Unaccompanied can improve on his first outing and bustle up the big boys. Champion Bumper Waaheb 12/1 Was told about this one when it won last week. Was very impressive and seemed to just canter round and go away from his rivals. Again probably didn't beat much in the race but was visually impressive. Trained by Dermot Weld and owned by his son I think this horse has a huge chance if going to Cheltenham. The only doubt is that after this horse won they said they weren't thinking of going there but surely they will have a re-think! Knights pass has been very impressive so far and Keys has looked a decent animal. No doubt Mullins will have a few in the race with a good chance. Like this one and think he has a good chance of going to Cheltenham. First big bet on Arcalis in the pertemps final at 33/1 e/w Was going to wait to see what happens to Howard Johnson but as I am in the Cheltenham mood, I thought I would put it on now. This horse has won at the festival before and always runs a good race here. Last year stayed on strongly between the last 2 and eventually finished 2nd just 3 lengths behind the winner. Was in about 15th place 3 out in that race last year over 2m1f. Think the step up to 3m will be ideal for this horse as shown when he got within 5 lengths of Big Bucks in November. The horse always saves his best run for Cheltenham and with favourites having a miserable record in the race and a couple of 50/1 shots winning this in the last few years. I am happy to take 33/1 on Arcalis!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion

Champion Hurdle: Khyber Kim 1pt e/w 16/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 4 places) With Khyber Kim due to make his seasonal debut on Saturday any half decent run will probably see him shorten up for Cheltenham. It might be the time to take the each way price and take advantage of the four places. This season Khyber Kim is being campaigned with the Champion Hurdle as his number one objective. Last year he finished a clear second to Binocular who could well take the race again but he is not likley to be too much shorter in price come March. Previous year's placed horses have come back and run well in the Champion Hurdle, Punjabi being a prime example. Khyber Kim has the look of a late developer and in the past couple of years has improved over 20lbs. His age is a slight concern however there are relatively few miles on the clock. Khyber Kim goes particularly well at Cheltenham and his trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies usually has his string in form for March. Hurricane Fly heads the market and ranks a big danger, however he has never raced at Cheltenham and his odds keep shortening for beating the same horse. There are younger pretenders who have the right credentials with course form, yet this may be a year too soon. Weighing it all up Khyber Kim looks a decent each way bet.
You can get 33/1 now at Hills fella. Sunday 16th Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Pertempts Final Cross Kennon 1pt EW - 25/1 (Bet365) Taking a risk here but he will not be 25/1 come the day and after today's solid run I'd expect them to be heading here. He loves Cheltenham, was fourth in this race last year after staying on powerfully up the hill and confirmed his liking for the course when taking a listed handicap hurdle off a mark of 130. Was given a 8lb rise for that win and headed to Cheltenham once more. Was cruising when brought down three from home. Ran again today off the same mark, but I did have worries about him going right-handed and wanting a testing track. Ran respectably, the winner won very well but was probably far more suited to the testing ground. Cross Kennon stayed on to take second. He has improved from last year and will run a much better race on good ground which he seems to love.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion What are peoples thoughts on Grand Crus in the World Hurdle? I thought his performance at the weekend was pretty spectacular. I'm not sure he's ready to dethrone Big Bucks but the evens with Stan James on betting without the fav does seem tempting....

What are peoples thoughts on Grand Crus in the World Hurdle? I thought his performance at the weekend was pretty spectacular. I'm not sure he's ready to dethrone Big Bucks but the evens with Stan James on betting without the fav does seem tempting....
He did look pretty good and i see the 3/1 has been snapped up, David Pipe has been pretty bullish saying he would not swap him even for BB, BB is a class act but as we all know, your only at the top till the next one comes along.

What are peoples thoughts on Grand Crus in the World Hurdle? I thought his performance at the weekend was pretty spectacular. I'm not sure he's ready to dethrone Big Bucks but the evens with Stan James on betting without the fav does seem tempting....
I'd have to agree - He looked impressive and there were enough decent yardsticks behind to suggest that was a very good run. Evens without BB is not bad in my view

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Neptune Novice Hurdle Endless Intrigue 1pt win - 149/1 (Betfair) I've backed the horse each-way at 40/1 today over 2m2f but any promising run will surely see his odds collapse for this race. Think he will appreciate the Neptune trip rather than the Supreme and the betting suggests that he's aiming Hidden Universe at tthe Supreme. If he finishes a staying on fourth I'll be delighted. Goes well on better ground which he'll get at the festival too.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion RSA Chase: Bostons Angel 1pt e/w 25/1 Victor Chandler Victor Chandler look to be taking a little bit of chance keeping Bostons Angel at 25/1 while he has been cut across the board by other firms. Time For Rupert looks rock solid at the head of the market, yet as the old saying goes, "you should never be afraid of one". Bostons Angels form could be seen as on a par with several of those closer to the favourite and according to Jessica Harrington the RSA is his target. Seem to remember Horner Woods running a decent race in this for Mrs Harrington a couple of years back. With the possibility of even more to come on better ground from Bostons Angel, the last of the 25/1 looks worth taking.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion I've just taken 14-1 ew Bet365 (16-1 elsewhere) for Sizing Europe to win the Champion Chase, now confirmed as its target. I think that is a massive price for a proven grade 1 winner that has top class winning Cheltenham form and won one of the top chase races last year. It didn't get the 3m that well for me when behind Kauto this year, would have been interesting over say 2m4f, 2m5f but back down to 2m for this race. Usually travels well and there has to be some doubts about both Master Minded and Big Zeb at the head of the market after both their recent races. I can see it staying on up the hill if it manages to go the pace of the others.

Champion Hurdle Khyber Kim 1pt EW - 25/1 (Stan James, 4 places) Reasoning will be edited in!
25/1 seems too big for this horse. Last year he had the season of his life, winning the Greatwood, then the International, second in the Champion hurdle and then won easily over 2m4f at Aintree. He took his time to come back this year and didn't run brilliantly, off the bridle pretty early and didn't get near the front pair. I'm not massively put off by that, it was a hard seasonal introduction and I read somewhere that the trainer had been rushing to get him ready. NTD's horses were out of form at the time anyway, and he always gets them there for the big day. Four places are paid out here. Khyber Kim will be suited to the race conditions. Loves the track, likes a strong pace and he has the experience a lot of his rivals lack.

Pertempts Final Cross Kennon 1pt EW - 25/1 (Bet365) Taking a risk here but he will not be 25/1 come the day and after today's solid run I'd expect them to be heading here. He loves Cheltenham, was fourth in this race last year after staying on powerfully up the hill and confirmed his liking for the course when taking a listed handicap hurdle off a mark of 130. Was given a 8lb rise for that win and headed to Cheltenham once more. Was cruising when brought down three from home. Ran again today off the same mark, but I did have worries about him going right-handed and wanting a testing track. Ran respectably, the winner won very well but was probably far more suited to the testing ground. Cross Kennon stayed on to take second. He has improved from last year and will run a much better race on good ground which he seems to love.
Always suspected Cross Kennon had a bit of class about him but didn't back him today because of the price. Didn't expect him to do so well. Always comes off the bridle during his races but was so impressive when he came back on it upsides Bensalem. Gutting I didn't take the massive World Hurdle prices a while back, backing for the Pertempts instead. Surely he'll go for the World Hurdle now?

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion World Hurdle - Cross Kennon 2pts EW - 66/1 (Boyles - 1/4) 50/1 best price now, generally a 33/1 shot. Annoyed I didn't back him yesterday and at huge prices on Betfair beforehand. Didn't think he'd be aimed at the World Hurdle. He might not be good enough to win it, but he has Cheltenham qualities that will bring out the best in him and 66/1 was too big. He is a very determined and game horse, always responds to pressure and runs up that Cheltenham hill like a train. Was cantering when brought down in a handicap behind Lush Life and I firmly believe he would've beaten everything up the hill that day. He stayed on well to finish second to Mr Moonshine at Huntingdon last month but I do think that was a good run. Mr Moonshine was given a very easy lead and Cross Kennon is far better going left handed. Yesterday I was very impressed with the way he came back on the bridle after being shaken up for a while, he often does this and hits big prices in running. Hits flat spots like Big Buck's, but always stays on. He completely outbattled Bensalem and wasn't stopping at the line. Whether Bensalem was 100% or not is up for debate but whatever way you look at it, it was an impressive performance. I wouldn't read much into the fact it was on heavy ground either, because he'll improve further for good ground. I could definitely see him running into a place up the hill in the World Hurdle. He will be battling until the end.

World Hurdle - Cross Kennon 2pts EW - 66/1 (Boyles - 1/4) 50/1 best price now, generally a 33/1 shot. Annoyed I didn't back him yesterday and at huge prices on Betfair beforehand. Didn't think he'd be aimed at the World Hurdle. He might not be good enough to win it, but he has Cheltenham qualities that will bring out the best in him and 66/1 was too big. He is a very determined and game horse, always responds to pressure and runs up that Cheltenham hill like a train. Was cantering when brought down in a handicap behind Lush Life and I firmly believe he would've beaten everything up the hill that day. He stayed on well to finish second to Mr Moonshine at Huntingdon last month but I do think that was a good run. Mr Moonshine was given a very easy lead and Cross Kennon is far better going left handed. Yesterday I was very impressed with the way he came back on the bridle after being shaken up for a while, he often does this and hits big prices in running. Hits flat spots like Big Buck's, but always stays on. He completely outbattled Bensalem and wasn't stopping at the line. Whether Bensalem was 100% or not is up for debate but whatever way you look at it, it was an impressive performance. I wouldn't read much into the fact it was on heavy ground either, because he'll improve further for good ground. I could definitely see him running into a place up the hill in the World Hurdle. He will be battling until the end.
Might be wise to back it in the w/o Big Bucks market. If you think Big Bucks will win you're effectively giving away your win part of the bet before they even set off. I agree with your write up though and think it might place, certainly has a battling quality that will be needed up that hill. :ok

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Yeah I see what you're saying, but I'd be relying on Big Buck's winning and CK is only 20/1 in the w/o market. Looks a pretty strong WH with Mourad, Grands Crus, Fiveforthree and possibly Punchestowns. I honestly wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Cross Kennon win the race. He hits flat spots and stays on so is deceptive with how much he has in hand, like Big Buck's. His win earlier in the season at Cheltenham, although in a handicap, impressed me alot. Really looked full of running when taking it up despite being ridden some way out, as soon as he hit the front it was over.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion My ante post bets for Cheltenham so far have been: Kauto - Gold Cup - 5/1. Hurricane Fly - Champion Hurdle - 5/1 Louisville Lip - Tirumph Hurdle - 33/1 Big Bucks - World Hurdle - 10/11 The Kauto bet looks dead and buried as does the Louisville Lip one after a lifeless run last time, just after he'd been bought by JP McManus. Still hopeful on Big Bucks seeing off Grands Crus despite him touching odds against. Keeping my fingers crossed Hurricane Fly makes it to the race as he is such a strong traveller its a fantastic to watch, really really looking forward to that race. Struggling to muster up much enthusiasm for the festival this year though. Probably because I had a 'mare last year but it just seems such a minefield and a guessing game as much as anything this year. The weather has interrupted preperations and many of the big guns head into the festival off the back of just one or two runs. I do wonder if many of the trainers will look back at the end of the season and regret not getting more runs into their horses as, if they get beat at Cheltenham, theyve wasted a whole season putting all their eggs in one basket, gearing them all up for one event, when perhaps they should have raced more regularly along the way and picked up prize money. I know the weather is partly to blame in this respect, but even so, the festival is far overhyped IMO - the races are so competitive there will be top class horses going home empty handed. Diamond Harry is a case in point.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion I read that the breeder of both Long Run and Master Minded has a good one available called Bel La Vie It would be interesting to see if it comes to these shores also he commented on Long Run - he said Long Run is a Soft to Heavy ground horse in breeding and he said if he gets that ground come Gold Cup day then he would win - puts a question mark on G/S to good though doesnt it .

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion I've heard of a local (to me) Cheltenham Preview. At the George Inn, Vernham Dean, Hampshire. (On the Hampshire / Wiltshire / Berkshire border). 7:30pm Monday 7th March Expected Guests are: Emma Lavelle Andrew Thornton Oliver Sherwood Jonathon Powell Entrance Fee £5

My ante post bets for Cheltenham so far have been: Kauto - Gold Cup - 5/1. Hurricane Fly - Champion Hurdle - 5/1 Louisville Lip - Tirumph Hurdle - 33/1 Big Bucks - World Hurdle - 10/11 The Kauto bet looks dead and buried as does the Louisville Lip one after a lifeless run last time, just after he'd been bought by JP McManus. Still hopeful on Big Bucks seeing off Grands Crus despite him touching odds against. Keeping my fingers crossed Hurricane Fly makes it to the race as he is such a strong traveller its a fantastic to watch, really really looking forward to that race.
fin, surely if they get Kauto 100%, the horse should have a chance. Personally i think Imperial Commander may lead them a merry dance again on his fav course. However, look at Kauto's runs this year, the horse is always short 1st time up but still managed to win on what is essentially a difficult track in Ireland. The King George was then delayed 2 weeks into January and this would not have suited the 11yo having been primed for the Boxing day meet. It met a very decent flat course horse in Long Run and looking back, we should have been on the winner as long as the jockey didnt freeze. It was a decent display of jumping, however Kauto was up there throughout and had McCoy riding it which agan just reduces the chance for me as i think Walsh is the ma who gets on best with the horse. It was only the blunder at the last (or 2nd last?) which allowed Riverside Theatre to nab 2nd place otherwise Kauto would have beaten RT by about 10L. RT has since won well at Ascot and will go on to better things. Personally the negative for me is that the horse is now 11yo and has seen its best years, IC has the chance here to win this again but possibly this is their only chance and NTD will know that, hence his tender handling of the horse. Should be a great race but if KS gets round, think it will be in the 1st 4. :ok

I've heard of a local (to me) Cheltenham Preview. At the George Inn, Vernham Dean, Hampshire. (On the Hampshire / Wiltshire / Berkshire border). 7:30pm Monday 7th March Expected Guests are: Emma Lavelle Andrew Thornton Oliver Sherwood Jonathon Powell Entrance Fee £5
Ginge, who is doing Newbury next week, Tanya, Tom Symonds and ???? any news? I am coming down for this:ok

fin, surely if they get Kauto 100%, the horse should have a chance. Personally i think Imperial Commander may lead them a merry dance again on his fav course. However, look at Kauto's runs this year, the horse is always short 1st time up but still managed to win on what is essentially a difficult track in Ireland. The King George was then delayed 2 weeks into January and this would not have suited the 11yo having been primed for the Boxing day meet. It met a very decent flat course horse in Long Run and looking back, we should have been on the winner as long as the jockey didnt freeze. It was a decent display of jumping, however Kauto was up there throughout and had McCoy riding it which agan just reduces the chance for me as i think Walsh is the ma who gets on best with the horse. It was only the blunder at the last (or 2nd last?) which allowed Riverside Theatre to nab 2nd place otherwise Kauto would have beaten RT by about 10L. RT has since won well at Ascot and will go on to better things. Personally the negative for me is that the horse is now 11yo and has seen its best years, IC has the chance here to win this again but possibly this is their only chance and NTD will know that, hence his tender handling of the horse. Should be a great race but if KS gets round, think it will be in the 1st 4. :ok
It will be very interesting if the ground is quick on Friday. Last year the rain came and it suited Imperial. I'm not saying he doesn't handle good, but I think he's a bit better on soft. Usually the Friday is genuinely good and that can help Kempes/Kauto Star, who love decent ground. At the same time Long Run/Imperial might not run to form if there's no cut.

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion CORAL CUP NRNB BUENA VISTA 40/1 Bet365 0.5pts win Won the Pertemps here last year over 3m. Is entered across 3 hurdle races at the festival and does act well on the course. i have tracked this horse all season and noted how they have ridden the horse in each race. They have been very shrewd not to go up in the weights this season and once they book a claimer for the ride, the horse should be off a mark close to last years. Now, i expect it may go for the Pertemps again where it is 20/1 however with money back now for NR's, i will take the 40's on offer for this race over 2m 5f. Its record at the Festival over 6 years is 6-3-6-5-2-1, not bad!!

SportHorse Racing
EventCheltenham 17:15
SelectionHit The Headlines (Each-way)
Strength1/10
Date16/03/2011
Bookmaker/PriceSkybet @ 26.00
ReasoningOwner Michael Buckley is winning plenty of races in the NHF races this year. More than previous years and that suggests that he may be interested in being Champion Bumper owner this year. The selection won easily on debut and faces a tougher set of rivals today. Henderson and Geraghty always do well in bumpers and the price on this one is likely to drop after the races is over. Currently lowest with Victor Chandler at 14-1.
Current available odds at betfair is 40.00 @ $66 available (25.00 @ $52 and 23.00 @ $165)

Re: Cheltenham 2011 - Ante post bets and discussion Pertempts Hurdle. Ran yesterday over a trip too short trainer would have had this race in mind for him all season. Won on both his previous visits to the course one of which was over 3m1f. He much better than his run yesterday is the apple of his trainers eye and shouldn't be missed. Looks like he get in ok around the 10stone mark good ground would be a bonus but acts on all going. Benbane Head 25/1 generally 40 Betfair for small money