Multiple Bets

RussP

Interested to hear your views on this.... What's your view on multiples? Double, trebles, Yankees, Lucky 15's, Canadians, etc, etc...... I used to do these but strongly feel they are the fastest way to the poor house. You back 4 horses in a Lucky 15, you pay for 15 bets and 1 horse gets touched off. That's 8 bets gone straight away, over 50% of your stake although only 25% of your selections have been beat. The 2nd one loses and 12 bets are gone, 80% but only half your selections. I'll admit it's great to get a double up or have 3 winners in a Lucky 15 and the rewards can be amazing but is it really worth it? What do the bookies think? In my experience, they love taking these bets. It's those that back singles only they worry about more. Someone once said 'multiples are fun bets, for the mug punter. If you're serious around your betting, stick to singles'. Right or wrong in your eyes? I'm in the 'strongly agree' camp:ok

Re: Multiple Bets im with you russ. Although i was reading a guide to protecting your bookie accounts (posted the link on here somewhere) and they recommended throwing in the odd yankee to try throw the bookie off the scent. I usually do a quid trixie on a saturday for this reason and if it wins anything its a bonus. Won a few hundred earlier in season and was a neck away from 4k off 4 quid when solar spirit was touched off, but dont take these bets seriously and only do singles for y proper bets.

Re: Multiple Bets I tend to do these bets as a bit of fun at small stakes, talking 10-20p on them which usually comes to around £3. Another way of looking at a double is that you can always just put an extra quid on your first selection then throw the amount onto the other one you planned to have in the double or even half the winnings, that way you are still making a profit. I mainly back singles though but there's always the excitement of having 4/4 in a lucky 15, have had three various times and had a good return before but as said, I just do these as a bit of fun alongside my serious bets.

Re: Multiple Bets I think it's the word 'fun' that worries me. In my opinion, allowing that element to your betting affects your discipline. One of the things that I was massively guilty of was being in the bookies to place a bet on a selection but then throwing a fiver on the next race to be shown, just for interest (or fun). I lost my discipline, which also resulted in me losing my interest (as well as almost losing my shirt:lol). I'm back now, fully refreshed, and only back the ones I put up in my thread. No more, no less. This more disciplined approach has given me renewed confidence, and it's something I'd urge anyone to consider seriously.

Re: Multiple Bets I wouldn't say it makes you bad disciplined if your just throwing a couple of quid here and there on it and not very often. If you have big amounts on it and are doing them on a regular basis yet still describing them as "fun" then fair enough. Everybody has a different frame of mind though so for some people it could easily affect ones discipline whereas others it wouldn't. I guess it could also depend on what horses you are putting in these multiples, whether it is the selections you have stuided hours on or just going for a glory hunt and picking horses without any proper study.

Re: Multiple Bets

Fair point Stu:ok. Didn't want to sound like I was having a 'pop'' date=' I was just expressing my opinion. I guess it's a case of what works for each individual.[/quote'] No it never came across like that at all mate, everybody is entitled to their opinion, I can see where you are coming from and I'm glad you see where I am coming from too :ok Good to have a bit of discussion on here where people have a different point of view, nice topic you have started.

Interested to hear your views on this.... What's your view on multiples? Double, trebles, Yankees, Lucky 15's, Canadians, etc, etc...... I used to do these but strongly feel they are the fastest way to the poor house. You back 4 horses in a Lucky 15, you pay for 15 bets and 1 horse gets touched off. That's 8 bets gone straight away, over 50% of your stake although only 25% of your selections have been beat. The 2nd one loses and 12 bets are gone, 80% but only half your selections. I'll admit it's great to get a double up or have 3 winners in a Lucky 15 and the rewards can be amazing but is it really worth it? What do the bookies think? In my experience, they love taking these bets. It's those that back singles only they worry about more. Someone once said 'multiples are fun bets, for the mug punter. If you're serious around your betting, stick to singles'. Right or wrong in your eyes? I'm in the 'strongly agree' camp:ok
Great question Russy boy. "What do the bookies think? " ~They are a bookies dream and will lay them till the cows come home. They fear win single and also dislike single e/w bets. "Someone once said 'multiples are fun bets, for the mug punter. If you're serious around your betting, stick to singles."~ Yeah thats the rule of thumb and thoughts of most people. But for me i love these type of bet esp e/w lucky 15's and would seriously consider giving up singles in pursuit of the ultimate big one. In fact that was why i original joined the forum to add others selections to mine for lucky 15's but i got so engrossed in my own betting that it never really materialised although me and a few guys combined are bets on Saturdays for a while. Am i mug punter? If that's case yeah probably but it doesn't worry me in the slightest. Deep down we each know are limitations and for me it is very important i enjoy my gambling i have a full time job and gambling is a hobby to me. I don't have the knowledge to become a semi or pro punter and frankly i wouldn't want to.

Re: Multiple Bets Win singles and E/way singles for me. There can be a lot a wastage when one or more selections lose. I'd much rather have £15 @ 11/4 on one winner than trying to find 4 four possible selections to tie together in a £1 Lucky 15, where only one won @ 11/4. It's easier to do.

I have got 2 Lucky 15's up in 2010, shortest price of 5/2. I think they are great value as in my local bookies you get 4 times the odds for 1 winner.. Find 1 winner and your guarenteed your money back at least, not bad i say..
Even with 4 times the odds, the minimum price required to recoup your bet on a single winner is 7/2 (or better for a smal profit) on a £1 win lucky 15. I'd much pefer to try to find that one 7/2 winner and put £15 on it.

Win singles and E/way singles for me. There can be a lot a wastage when one or more selections lose. I'd much rather have £15 @ 11/4 on one winner than trying to find 4 four possible selections to tie together in a £1 Lucky 15, where only one won @ 11/4. It's easier to do. Even with 4 times the odds, the minimum price required to recoup your bet on a single winner is 7/2 (or better for a smal profit) on a £1 win lucky 15. I'd much pefer to try to find that one 7/2 winner and put £15 on it.
Ok so for your 15 pound you make £52-50 and thats the maximum potential on your bet!! However i have got 2 Lucky 15's up this year , i wont say how much i won but it was substantial!! Id much rather lose a couple of quid literally here and there and wait to hit the big one than put my faith solely on 1 bet to make an amount that will have no effect on my life!! Thats just my opinion

Re: Multiple Bets I always did multiple bets in my first incarnation as a punter.........very rarely did singles. I think in those das , 1980s, I was punting such small stakes, 10p and 50p bets, that I had to have multiples to get a chance of a decent win There's not much point putting 50p on a 2/1 shot..........:loon So I did yankeees, Lucky 15s, patents, trixies........the other pont being that I used to record the racing and watch it in the evening and liked an interest in every race.......... Needless to say........I was a losing punter overall though you tend to remember the occasional big wins and not the regular small losses Since i starting betting again and using the internet I haven't done any multiple bets at all...........I haven't figured out how to do it on the bookies site............:unsure..........and I'm happy with my ignorance as I'm now making a profit and that's coincided with doing win and EW singles only.........:nana So I'm happy to stick with that now...........

Ok so for your 15 pound you make £52-50 and thats the maximum potential on your bet!! However i have got 2 Lucky 15's up this year ' date=' i wont say how much i won but it was substantial!! Id much rather lose a couple of quid literally here and there and wait to hit the big one than put my faith solely on 1 bet to make an amount that will have no effect on my life!! Thats just my opinion[/quote'] I agree with you here Aidy........... I don't think there's anything wrong with having,say, 50p yankees and treating that as a 'bit of fun' and not worrying too much about winning and losing. I mean, you're just spending money on a leisure activity........you don't expect to make a profit from going to the cinema or having a few jars down the pub...........treat the money as expenditure not investment and i can't see any problem with that ! As i said above i don't do multiples now, but it's not because i think it's 'wrong'............

Re: Multiple Bets having looked at my own betting banks etc, i do admit i have been placing more multiples lately as lost a bit of confidence in my singles. I vowed to ignore multiples in te main apart from the odd double. I have seen the positives of multiples with friends winning £1200, £4500, £12500 and £11000 from various types, patents, lucky 15's and lucky 63's. To me, its a way of winning a decent amount of money however in 25 years i have had possibly 2 lucky 15's up and 2 patents so that just shows how difficult they can be. I enjoy the odd lucky 31/63 these days as its a way of covering 5/6 selections without having to concentrate on 1 or 2. I will be back on my singles charge most definitely but i would not call it a mugs bet, if you want a mugs bet its the football coupons where people try and pick 7 or 8 teams etc to win on a saturday, the local bookie told me if he had 1 winning slip in a weekend, it was a rarity. i am tempted for Cheltenham next year to get together a few mates and stick about £30 in for the week, raise about £300 (10 mates) and then play some larger staked multiples, say a £1 lucky 63 for example, might be a bit of "fun" if allowed to use that word;)

Re: Multiple Bets I think Bowles and Stu have hit on something very important its a bit of 'fun' if your not enjoying the sport you will never win!! For me I do the odd l15 etc. when i am in the bookies watching the racing like Stu just 10/20p's but I do all my serious bets online nowadays. I couldn't care less if they win or not its a bit of fun for me to pick out races that perhaps I dont look at so much maidens etc. and that 3quid is just the same as me going down the pub and having a pint its fun! People who think they can make serious amounts from doing them daily and only are wrong its pot luck yeah you will get the odd big one up which boosts your confidence etc. and enjoy it but if you want to make serious money multiples are probably not the correct way! But each to their own ;)!

Re: Multiple Bets If I have a few selections running on one day I will back them all win or each way in singles but then sometimes have a small lucky 15 as well as but not instead of those single bets. The massive multiples like a lucky 63 are those kind of dream bets that you think are possibly quite life changing or in the thousands at least but I don't bet like that and you do see a lot of mug punters in the bookies putting on 10p lucky 15's etc. I only do a lucky 15 if I think they all have a half decent chance, it may be quite hopeful to get 4 winners, it can be bloody hard enough getting one but I don't see it as a fun bet, there's nothing fun in losing money, even if it's from a 50p Lucky 15. Sort of a multiple bet but more of a permutation that I really like are forecast exactas choosing 3 selections - 6 bets at £1 is only £6 stake and some of the exactas pay out really good returns. If I have whittled a race down to 2 or 3 runners I sometimes do one of these bets in addition to the singles. Once backed 2 each way at Ponty (Tight Squeeze and Wanna Shout), returned 1st and 2nd at 16-1 and 14-1, didn't do any exacta and it paid £829.30. That would have just been a £1 reverse exacta but a hell of a return. I would imagine the mug punters in the bookies and the housewives having their Saturday Lucky 15's wouldn't have believed their luck on the day Frankie got those 7 winners at Ascot. :eek

I would imagine the mug punters in the bookies and the housewives having their Saturday Lucky 15's wouldn't have believed their luck on the day Frankie got those 7 winners at Ascot. :eek
yep quite a few made money that day and that was really the best advert for multiples that the bookies could hope for my father in law did it the day before, he backed 4 or 5 in a canadian, but didnt do it on the saturday, he was gutted. I think he picked up the last 3 winners after the first 4 had gone in though to avoid losing out completely

Re: Multiple Bets Quite simply there are two kinds of punters, those that take it serioulsy and those that treat it as a hobby, dont believe you can be both. The serious punters will know that they treat every bet with caution, keep a record of their bets for research and to keep a profit and loss account, now most serious punters will look for up to 10% yield (debatable but you get my drift) , throwing away the odd fiver here and there on 'fun' bets will have a big impact on their profits over time, money that could be wagered on their normal bets. Most punters treat betting as a hobby, dont keep records, would be absolutely amazed if they knew how much they were behind but dont really care because they are having fun, winning now and again and getting the buzz from backing in every race on C4 on a saturday, ring a bell with anyone? Anyway there is nothing wrong with that and i dare say we have all been there at some point. Mulitple bets are a great way to cover lots of races for a small outlay, always that chance of hitting the big one, you know the ones that get quoted every time this subject is mentioned, remember when i won a grand for just a fiver etc...thing is they dont want to remember the ones that went down every other day since or before, its human nature to want to hit the big one, look how many do the Scoop6, greatest bet ever invented.... for the Tote that is. Theres no right or wrong in my opinion, just whether your in one camp or the other?