** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Tennis - US Open

Re: Tennis - US Open And ATP... 1) Florent Serra to beat Florian Mayer. 3.87 @ Pinnacle (4/10) Unless Mayer will be able to out-serve Serra he'll be in big trouble. Serra is exactly the type of player who can cause Mayer a lot of problems in baseline exchanges and I can see the German being done today. Serra has got very good record against him having won last 3 of their meetings and 7 sets in a row. Florian surely overrated in this one. This the best chance of an upset today, I guess. 2) Daniel Brands to beat Benjamin Becker. 2.84 @ Pinnacle (5/10) This another of the bets I'll have against the favorite as much as one backing the underdog. Becker has been very poor lately and is not coming back any time soon. Brands despite not having brain can really take advantage of the situation. The big serving German loves Grand Slams. Look what he did in Wimbledon. Playing out of form Becker will be just the start he wanted in Flushing Meadows. Brands win here without any 2nd thoughts. 3) Jeremy Chardy to beat Ernests Gulbis. 3.11 @ Pinnacle (3/10) Gulbis still has not recovered from the injury he got in French Open. He has not had good Slams lately and has not been past 1st round in any of the Slams since Wimbledon 2009. Chardy is one the worst players on tour mentally and you can never know what to expect from the Frenchman but he definitely is worth a shot today. Gulbis had a birthday yesterday. We all know that he is not a real professional and loves to party etc. Having to play very early next day after birthday might not be what he really wants. Chardy is not that bad. He can be very annoying but the guy can be good sometimes. Hoping this will be the day. 4) Julio Silva to beat Pablo Cuevas. 2.10 @ Ladbrokes. (4/10) This is bet against Cuevas. The guy is totally out of sorts at the moment and nobody knows when he'll be back. He can't serve, he can't do anything, even beat crap players at the moment. I think he'll be fine to get prize money and that will be it for him this week or this year. Can't see him coming back. There's no motivation at the moment. Speaking about motivation Silva has got enough of it. He had good qualies, even took out Mahut which not easy thing to do, Isner will tell you that. Cuveas defeat for me in this one. And one more for WTA. Aravane Rezai vs Magdalena Rybarikova. Over 20.5 games. 1.93 @ Pinnacle (6/10) This is a stone wall over. Rezai is fixing all of her matches lately against average players and playing overs, 3 setters in most cases. She has had 7 overs in her last 8 matches which tells the story. Rybarikova is quite similar and can't close it out in two sets. They met just recently in Wimbledon and Rezai won that in 3 sets. Total over in this one without any doubts.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - US Open What do people think of Jankovic? She seems shaky despite being ranked 5th in the world? Should she get past Halep relatively easily? Also the same with Kuznetsova v Date Krumm? Thinking of doing a double on both but all research seems to point to difficult games for both? Any help greatly appreciated!

Re: Tennis - US Open Thomas Muster is playing in the Challenger event in Como today against Gianluca Naso of Italy who is ranked 418 in the world. Muster is almost 43 years old and this will be his 3rd match since his comeback. Muster actually gave Dustin Brown a decent match a few weeks back when losing 4-6, 4-6 - Brown was ranked just outside the top 100. Could this be Musters big day? He has improved greatly from his 1st to 2nd match. I am going to put a novel pound on Muster to win at 10/3 :lol

Re: Tennis - US Open sharapova versus groth over 18.5 games at 8-11 bet365 2 points! there is no doubt that sharapova is going really well at the moment and looks likely to set up a very real challenger for the championships but there are still some cracks in her game yet as azarenka exposed ruthlessly a few weeks back! she's still having some service issues although her first delivery can be a weapon and if you take the game to her and don't let her dominate she doesn't feel so comfortable! thats exactly what jarmila groth will do...she's a hyper aggressive player and in streaks can be almost unplayable as venus can attest to this year from the wimbledon 4th round! i think groth is being well under-rated here by the bookies and has a genuine chance of winning this match but the overs bet looks the best bet! the reason i think it will be over 18 games is because groth is an excellent server, one of the best in the women's game in fact and she likes to play the game on her terms...she'll either hit a winner or unforced error! she has already reached the 4th round of both the french open and wimbledon this year which is hugely impressive! i really believe she has enough fire power to at least take seven games from the match and maybe make one of the sets close...after all it's just the first round and it's hard to imagine sharapova coming out and playing the best tennis of her life!! sharapova should ultimately be too good and groth is still fairly one-dimensional and makes too many unforced errors but can't see her finishing the job in less than 18 games! (groth also said in an interview that she is really motivated and has nothing to lose) chanelle scheepers plus 3.5 games against akgul amanmuradova bet365 at 4-5 1 point! firstly, i find it hard to understand why scheepers is 6-4 underdog in this one!! these two have played each other 4 times and they have all been very competitive matches and perhaps most tellingly scheepers has won the last two matches including one grand slam 3rd round affair in the french this year where she won 6-3,6-3! In fact she only just beat amanmuradova 3 weeks ago in a competitive 3 setter!! she has raised her level this year and is basically a solid ball striker who doesn't give many free points away as dulko can acknowledge! she also gave radwanska a great game in stanford a few weeks back! amanmuradova is playing well at the moment and qualified comfortably with wins over evitimova, fuda and tetreault but schepepers is a step up in quality to those girls! i also think akguls win over jankovic in cinncinatti may be over-rated by the bookies a little bit especially since she got ahmmered the next day by ivanovic! this looks like it should be a close match...one which i think scheepers can win but certainly cover the 3.5 handicap!

Re: Tennis - US Open US OPEN MY PRIDICTIONS FOR TODAYS MATCHES Anne Keothavong vs Yung-Jan Chan; Both players have there best results in doubles. I see Keothavong having a plus in the serve and overall fitness at the moment. Odds are 1.72 at the moment on b365, but have in mind, this is a public bet. Nuria Llagostera Vives vs Iveta Benesova; Iveta is on fire at the moment, great serve and she has good fast runingskills like Vives, but this is HC and Vives is best on clay, meanwhile Iveta seems to have found the perfect time to top in term of form and fitness. Odds are 2.37 on b365 for the clean win 0-2 in sets, and for the carefull ones 1.53 for the win. Feliciano Lopez vs Santiago Giraldo; Giraldo is hitting form right now while Lopez is a bit of a setdown. Both players have a good serve, and both players can play HC tennis, but Giraldo wins in terms of fitness and at odds 2.75 i see great value in a bet on the red hot colombian. Jeremy Chardy vs Ernests Gulbis; Odds 3 on Chardy, hmm the man is on fire at the moment, why cant he make a good effort against Gulbis. Both players are great servers, Gulbis may have HC as his favorit and Chardy has clay, but that does't mean he cant play on HC. +3,5 sets in game at odds 1.61 at b365 is gooood if you dont have the guts to take the Chardy win. Yes I tend to write short reviews, but all in all, it's all about fitness in tennis in my book and thats why tennis is such a good sport to bet on, the odds is allways high on the underdog:ok

Re: Tennis - US Open Took a few yesterday but forgot to write them up but made a fair profit so looking to build upon that in today's matches. Baghdatis -7.5 games handicap- 4/6 Bet365- 8/10 The Cypriot takes on Arnaud Clement of France who's best tennis days are very much behind him. 34 now, Clement is his last 7 matches has lost 6 of them, 5 of these coming on hard court of which 4 have been in straight sets, and these were against players not of Baghdatis' recent form or overall quality. In recent weeks, he has enjoyed winning runs in New Haven and most notably Cincinnati where he beat Cilic, Bellucci, Berdych and then Nadal before falling to Fed. He played some good tennis then and looked like the player he once was a few years back so he will be looking to carry this form on in the big tournament. The H2H stands at 4-1 in Baghdatis' favour with the last victory coming at Indian Wells in straight sets and if this was a 5 setter, he would have made the handicap which is given here so hopefully he can do the same again today. Benjamin Becker vs Daniel Brands over 37.5 games- 8/11 Bet365- 6/10 Two big servers, two powerful stroke makers and two men who have yet to light the tennis court alight in recent times which stands out to me as an overs match. Both players are similiar in terms of they rely heavily on their first serve which is powerful and usually deadly when they are on song. If you look at both players' recent results, tie breaks are in abundance no matter what the surface and this is echoed by the 4/6 price available for a tie break to happen in the match. Suspect that both players will not want to make a mistake and be quite nervous so I see the overs to happen here. Ferrer vs Dolgopolov over 36.5 games- 4/5 Bet365- 6/10 Like the look of the overs in this one as well. I know alot of people are backing the man from Ukraine to break into the top 10 at some point in the near future and to have a very promising 2011. Easy to see why is you watch him play, never gives up on a point or a match and fights till the end, which is a characteristic of any great player. Both players seem to struggle to have a straight sets win recently, including last week where Ferrer won in 3 sets, so if this trend continues the overs will be reached and I struggle to see how either of the players will win in 3. Fognini +7.5 games handicap- 8/11 Bet365- 5/10 Some may think this will be an extremely easy W/O for Verdasco but I see Fognini troubling the Spaniard today. They have played eachother twice this year and on both occassions Fognini has given Verdasco something to think about. In mexico he took a set off him and then beat him in the last grand slam in Wimbledon which shows that he can give it a go against Verdasco. Both are in simliar form with perhaps Italian just edging it. Can see Fognini taking a set here or at least making it very close and if that happens, can't see Verdasco winning by more than 8 games. Stepanek vs Bennetau over 38.5 games- 5/6 Bet365- 5/10 Interesting match this one IMO. Usually would have it down as a Stepanek win most likely in 3 but due to Benny's recent form that may not be the case. The Frenchman beat Llodra and Wawrinka as well as Istomin recently on hard court and took the first set of Rafa showing how confident he is at the minute. Stepanek had a decent week in New Haven but not brilliant. H2H is 2-1 in Czech's favour and their only grand slam meeting came back in 2006 at the French Open where the overs was reached in 4 sets. Like the overs market with Benny as he seems to like playing tie breaks in his matches so hopefully he will want a few of them today as well. Kuznetsova vs Krumm over 17.5 games- 4/5 Bet365- 4/10 Again taking the overs as I feel the 40 year old from Japan can win at least 6 games here. Her main strength lies within the placement of her shots, making her opponent run around the court. Kuznetsova will certainly not like this and likely chance is she will become frustrated throwing in wild shots. She's not the quickest around the court so 6 games for the Japanese should be very achievable providing the injury she sustained in Montreal doesn't affect her too much. Polansky to beat Monaco- 6/5 Bet365- 3/10 This is the only outright I'm taking today as I see some value in it. The Canadian has had alot more practice on the hard court whilst Monaco has only played 3 matches since the French Open, winning one and losing two. Polansky has won his last 3, coming through the qualifiers so should have some confidence playing the Argentinian. Questions over Monaco's fitness are there as the tempo is going to be quick and not slow like it is on Monaco's favoured clay. At above evens, certainly worth a punt with Polansky and hope he pulls it off.

Re: Tennis - US Open sofia arvidsson to beat sorana cirstea at 11-10 boylesports 2 points! totally agree with psycho on this one! arvidsson got to the final in the bronx last week and only found in-form chakvetadze to be too good! cirstea is in poor form at the moment and unlike a few years back is mentally very fragile right now! for example, in her latest outing she was 6-3 up in the final set breaker against all kudraytseva and lost the next 5 points!! arvidsson looks the safer bet! stephanie voegele versus dominika cibulkova over 20.5 games 10-11!bet365 1 point this should be a competive affair and perhaps taking voegele plus 4.5 games is a better bet so i backed both! voegele is talented, has an excellent two-handed backhand and a big serve when its working! she has plenty of firepower to trouble the more consistent and solid cibulkova who will probably force voegele into unforced errors through her court coverage and her ability to get an extra ball back! however, cibulkova isn't the same player this year she was last year and i certainly don't expect her to shake off voegele easily! indeed, voegele has a good chance of winning though i still have reservations about her forehand , especially in pressure situations! but she can certainly take a set or at least push cibulkova to a breaker in one! k-c chang versus suarez navarro under 22.5 games 1 point! this is more of a mathematical bet really! the simple fact is that suarez navarro under normal circumstances is a completely different class to chang who is ordinary enough, although likes quick conditions! however, i have read quotes from navarros coach and it seems she is just here to collect a probably badly needed cheque and he said she is just making 'tentative steps' back into the game and that she still feels some pain! in that case anyone who wants to back chang should back with the one ball bookies or skybet who pay out after first set, in case she retires! what i took from that quote is that navarro isn't back to herself yet...and from my experience of suarez navarro matches is if she is off colour she can be woeful! there's also the outside chance that maybe she's in better shape than we think and if she's anywhere near the level she's capable of she should destroy chang! either way, most tennis matches last less than 23 games in the women's game!for this to go over that we're talking a three setter! and given the circumstances i think this match is far less likely to be a 2 setter! but just a one-pointer!

Re: Tennis - US Open these are a few of my smaller tips! niemenen versus gimeno-traver over 37.5 games 10-11 bet365 1 point i think gimeno traver is capable of giving niemenen a better match than expected!! he's predominantly a clay court player of course but i still feel that there is no reason why his game can't translate top faster surfaces! for example last year at wimbledon he beat grass lover taylor dent and took troicki to five sets! this year he is a better player and he has also won a challenger event on hard only last week beating us open qualifier mannarino in the final! he has a big serve and booming groundstrokes ...arguably more firepower than niemenen! i think he will be difficul for jaarko to break! he also has a good tie-break record and i feel he is more than capable of nicking a set if it goes to a tie-break! ultimmately he doesnt have the consistancy adn makes too many errors to win in straights and jaarko should be able to grind him down but i expect it to be competitive with at least 4 sets! nalbandian versus de voest over 28.5 games 2 pointsbet365 at 10-11! nalbandian is obviously playing very well at the moment and more than capable of thrashing any opponent on his day but i have rarely seen him make easy work of lesser opponents in the first round of a grand slam and he might come into this one a bit rusty! i also feel his opponent is a little under-rated in this spot....de voest qualified very impressively beating good opponents in the likes of koubek and bozoljac in straights! nalbandian's serve is always attackable and if he has one of his standard concentration lapses, de voest might just nick a set here! either way i don't think de voest will be a pushover and i also recommend de voest plus 9.5 games 8-11. flipkens versus schynder under 21.5 games 8-11 bet365 1 point! another mathematical bet here really! flipkens has been injured for past few months and has hardly had the best preparation for this match! flipkens has a bad record against lefties and its easy to see why when all she can do with her backhand is slice! so patty is a bad match up for her...although in a way flipkens could be a bad match up for patty as she can mix up the pace of the ball and frustrate her opponents! patty has a good record at the us open though and flipkens is reportedly not 100% fit! there's also a possibilty that the off colour patty schynder will turn up...and when patty is bad and unmotivated, anyone can beat her! either way there are plenty of reasons to believe that this match will be less than 21 games and its worth a small wager! kudraytseva plus 5.5 games against wickmayer bet365 4-6 1 point! wickmayer's form is suspect coming into this match and she rarely hammers players unless she is simply on fire! i don't expect her to just come out of the blocks all guns blazing as that form will jsut seem to have come from nowhere! she is a playert that seems to feel her way into tournaments! she's playing a tricky opponent in kudraytseva and normally i don't like to get involved in alla's matches as she is so inconsistent but she has the ability to live with wickmayer! she has fine groundstrokes and will enjoy the pace wickmayerr gives her and can put it up to wicky and 5.5 seems to be a big handicap!! kristof vliegen to beat james blake at 2-1 boylesports! 1 point both are off form basically but blake just doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure at the moment and judging by the interviews i read from both players at least vliegen seems to be going into the match with a more positive attitude....blake was just saying stuff like i'll try my best but i'm not very confident at the moment! vliegen is a former top 50 player and if he can jsu play solid , blake might just end up beating himself! 2-1 represnts value brands to beat becker at 13-8 skybet! 1 point value! becker isn't in good form at the moment! brands has shown a hunger for the big occasion this year ...almost beating tsonga at the french and beating andreeve and reaching the 3rd round at wimbledon! both have biog serves...should be a close one....i think brands! jamie hampton to beat martinex sanchez 1 point skybet hampton is young up and comer! martinez sanchez has been out of action for a while and there are serious concerns over her fitness! hampton is no world beater but martinez sanchez is unbackable at the moment1 2-1 with skybet represents value!

Re: Tennis - US Open finally anna chakvatadze minus 5.5 games against ursula radwanska 5-6 bet365 2 points! anna is back in form now in a big way! radwanska is an ordinary enough player as it is but she's also in bad form and can be a bit of a head case so once anna finds her game i can see her blowing radwanska away!

Re: Tennis - US Open

:ok Good post. This a bet that I am very interested in. What price would you anticipate Davydenko falling too if he reaches the quater finals?
Hi Andy sorry been busy and didn't see the post. Well it's impossible to say because if all the top seeds win as they are meant to the layable price will of course be much lower than the 75 on offer to green out BUT IF one of the top seeds does fall then his price will dramatically crash. Ie i remember when Federer went out at Wimbledon this year and Nadal at last years French odds were shattered! If one of the top 4 seeds go early our price will be diminished by quite a bit. To Davydenko specifically we ideally want Djokovic/Roddick to fall early, more Roddick as he is due to face the Russian a round before Djokovic but before we jump the gun. Davy as expected must beat Gasquet in round two which i EXPECT him to but it's a tough second rounder, hoping that the more reliable and head strong Davy will not slip up here. Plus Roddick has Tisparevic as expected next and if Tipsarevic can beat A.Rod on grass he can certainly has a chance to beat him on a hard court, even more so as Roddick isn't a 100%. Either way lets just hope Davydenko overcomes Gasquet first :hope

Re: Tennis - US Open Sport Tennis Event Sharapova v Groth Selection Groth +5.5 games Strength 10/10 Date 31/08/2010 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.00 Reasoning Can't help but think this will be close. I've backed Groth a lot this year and she's done well for me. She's improved a lot this year and nowadays looks a quality player. Last 2 slams she's reached the 4th round which underlines her improvement. Sharapova should of course still win, but this seems a big handicap to cover. Sharapova has show some good form, but had a ankle niggle and thus hasn't played for a few weeks. So, she could be rusty and maybe a slow start. I like the look of this, especially getting it at even money.

And one more for WTA. Aravane Rezai vs Magdalena Rybarikova. Over 20.5 games. 1.93 @ Pinnacle (6/10) This is a stone wall over. Rezai is fixing all of her matches lately against average players and playing overs, 3 setters in most cases. She has had 7 overs in her last 8 matches which tells the story. Rybarikova is quite similar and can't close it out in two sets. They met just recently in Wimbledon and Rezai won that in 3 sets. Total over in this one without any doubts.
Followed you on this. Nice shout :clap

[...snip...] Sport Tennis Event Schnyder v Flipkens Selection Lay Flipkens (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 31/08/2010 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 3.16 Reasoning Tough spot for Flipkens. Struggled with injury since Wimbledon, only played one match which was in qualifying last week in New Haven, losing easily to Camerin. Schnyder I thought was finished earlier in the year, but the past few months she's actually been playing pretty good. Should be motivated for the slam, and I don't think she'll have too many problems here.
Thank you for suggesting to back Patty in this match. It seems obvious, but was easy to overlook and your analysis helped me, too. I used Patty outright win as a common bet in 4 doubles (Paty x Chardy +4.5, Patty x Rezai vs Rybarikova over 20.5, Patty x Groth + 5.5 and Patty x Brands) and it seems this is going to be a very profitable day :clap

What do you all think about this? I need some feedback as I'd like to put a big stake on Gulbis here to win 3-0. Give me your opinion!
If it was 10/1 I'd probably take it' date=' but Chardy is in hot form at the moment. Should be a tie break or 2 and they are a lottery, so good luck but I won't be following you on this one ![/quote'] oops! Hope you didn;t go too big red_impact!!:cry

Re: Tennis - US Open For tomorrow. Anderson to beat Bellucci @ 2.00 (Boyles:5/10) Great price here I think. I took Anderson in round one versus Devvarman, this should be tougher but I think on a fast HC he can definitely take Bellucci down....Bellucci one of my faves but still waiting to deliver on hard surfaces. He can throw in the odd loose service game while I think it will be tough for him to break Anderson too many times.Possiblity of some tight sets but again have to side with the player who is showing good form and has the big serve. GL!

For tomorrow. Anderson to beat Bellucci @ 2.00 (Boyles:5/10) Great price here I think. I took Anderson in round one versus Devvarman, this should be tougher but I think on a fast HC he can definitely take Bellucci down....Bellucci one of my faves but still waiting to deliver on hard surfaces. He can throw in the odd loose service game while I think it will be tough for him to break Anderson too many times.Possiblity of some tight sets but again have to side with the player who is showing good form and has the big serve. GL!
Not done any research yet but on the face of it, that looks a good bet. Will be having a good think about it myself. Anderson's in the form of his life and although Bellucci should be good on this type of surface, he's not really showed it to me yet.

Liking Ball to beat Montanes aswell but that one probably deserves some thought. Ball is a clown at times though' date=' but Montanes on hard is pretty average.[/quote'] Montanes had a massive escape yesterday, saved four match points, all on Pryzysieny's serve. In saying that, he'll improve for that match (his first on hard for months) and Ball is not great once the rallies start. He's got the serve though, but will hold out over five sets if it has to? Clash of styles, very hard to predict.

Re: Tennis - US Open Old man Clement nearly there.............:lol:lol The Polish guy is a bit of a choker mate. Anyone half decent would have sent Montanes home, but yeah he can improve no doubt. Ball is a huge clown, if only for that I'd be on it already.Should be a struggle either way.

Re: Tennis - US Open Unbelievable Baggy. Break points in the fourth where he could have made the handicap and won the match. Now looks like he's Clement's grandfather judging by his fitness, such a strange match. That Anderson appealed to me as well at that price but have to take into consideration the overall quality difference between the two players. Men grand slams usually equal the better players overall going further.

Re: Tennis - US Open Sport Tennis Event Florian Mayer v Serra Selection Lay Serra (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 31/08/2010 Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 3.74 Reasoning Don't think Serra has much hope here. He's really struggled to put any results together the past few months and don't see that changing. Mayer has made a bit of a comeback this year, showing some good form and playing nice tennis. He's playing a couple of levels above Serra at the moment and shouldn't have any problems here.

Atko, you see any of Cilic in the first round?? Just to get a gauge of where he's at. Plays Nishikori in the next round. Unlucky on Baghy, Fishy. Didn't know you were on him mate. Radwanska about to screw my unders now too.
I didn't see him at all. He created a shed-load of break points from following it on the scoreboard and was fairly dominant on serve. I expect him to go fairly far here. I'd fancy Cilic to take care of him but haven't had a proper look yet. Nishikori's still not 100% fit.

Re: Tennis - US Open Sport Tennis Event Kanepi v Cornet Selection Lay Cornet (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 31/08/2010 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 3.74 Reasoning Have to feel Kanepi will be too powerful here. She's really stepped up this year and is playing with more control and still a big game. Corney hasn't shown much form this year and is nowhere near the level she was a couple of years ago. She's still having problems with her serve and Kanepi will be very willing to attack it. Should be a comfortable victory.

Re: Tennis - US Open Sport Tennis Event Mattek-Sands v Medina Garrigues Selection Lay Medina Garrigues (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 31/08/2010 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 3.68 Reasoning Big difference in form here. Mattek-Sands is playing really well again and should have some good support here. Garrigues has dipped quite a bit from the level she had a few years ago and was never much of a hard court court. Odds might be surprising at first clance but I think they'll be proven right in this game.

Re: Tennis - US Open That Hajek-Fish match was obviously fixed. After the third set Fish was available at odds around 2.15. When would you get something like that against a noone Hajek? :lol I did not catch it, but something similar is going on right now in Djokovic-Troicki. I'm going to put a dime on Djoko at 2.3 :hope

Re: Tennis - US Open Like I said earlier, lots of upsets today. Jankovic wasn't that far from going out as well. Halep died in the end. Djokovic seems like he's on his way out, too. The biggest cheer thus far from me to certain Gulbis. Looked like he had a very good b-day party yesterday. Chardy easy win!