Tennis - US Open

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - US Open

Wow was actually a perfect tie-break. Cilic loses it and serves first in 5th requiring only one break. First thing he's done right all day. Hope he can just do something worthwhile in this final set :hope
He's got to get that break before Nishikori hits four games, otherwise we're goosed. Fair play to the Japanese, he's battled away really well. Gone up in my estimation.

You can' date=' Cilic is off physically. Not enough in that tank it seems.[/quote'] Thats the problem with not watching the match. Can't judge it for myself. Think I will wait for 2 more games, see how that goes then get you to give me an update ;)

Really good day yesterday, so now time for the comedown :lol No, hopefully another nice one in store, gone for three picks today. Looking forward to seeing what the rest have gone for. Marin Cilic vs Kei Nishikori - Marin Cilic -5.5 games AH @ 1.84 with Pinnacle (6/10) I said a couple of days ago when I tipped Cilic to cover the line against Illya Marchenko that I'm expecting a big week from the Croat here. He made the QFs last year and played some brilliant tennis, defeating Andy Murray along the way. He's got plenty to defend as a result and I think that win over Marchenko will have restored a bit of confidence for him. He had a bad time over the summer, not winning many matches, but he's at home on a hard court Slam and he's a player I can see picking up some form. He's a player that should have too much for Nishikori in this one. Big serve, nice booming groundies and lovely court coverage. Don't get me wrong, Nishikori's a talent, but the Japanese player can often go missing on serve and that could be his undoing here. He benefitted from Evgeny Korolev's retirement in R1 in a match that he may well have won in any case, but he'll hold no surprises for Cilic here. They've met before, in hot, quick conditions in Indian Wells two years ago, when Cilic won 6-2 6-4. Back then, I'd say Nishikori was a better player - injuries have curtailed his progress somewhat - while Cilic was probably at a lower level than he is now. He's improved immeasurably since then and looks a more rounded player. I had the handicap at -6.5 so in that regard, there's value, even though the price is right on the precipice of what I can and can't hit. Cilic just needs a break in each set to cover this - in my opinion, that's entirely doable for the Croat. Arnaud Clement vs Eduardo Schwank - Arnaud Clement @ 1.847 with Pinnacle (5/10) I don't think anyone expected these two guys to have gotten past Marcos Baghdatis and Robby Ginepri respectively in R1. Both are good pieces of form, although Clement's result over Baghdatis really stands out. The Frenchman is a wily player, and at 32, knows how to win these sorts of matches. He's a good hard court player, lovely trickery and feel around the court, and I think he'll be too smart for Schwank here. The Argentine is a lovely ball striker but his best work comes on clay. He's really not got the game to cause huge problems on hard. His movement has always been suspect on this court and his win over Ginepri, I feel, came down more to the American's inconsistency rather than fine play from the 24-year-old. The heat is a concern for me in this match and that's why my stake is slightly lower. Clement's the older player and may struggle a touch, but then again he is an extremely fit player who no doubt has played in these conditions many times before. I think he'll have too much craft for Schwank here - he's the cleverer player and his repetoire of shots should be good for him. I had the Frenchman priced at 1.63 so definite value for me here. Albert Montanes vs Carsten Ball - Albert Montanes @ 2.06 with Pinnacle (3/10) I'm not sure Ball should be the favourite here and I think this price on Montanes is far too big. We all know that Montanes' favourite surface is clay, not hard, but in the last two years he's posted more and more wins away from the dirt. He's a Top 30 player and in the last year has been playing the best tennis of his career. This is a good chance for him to make R3 of the US Open, as Ball is not a particularly gifted player. The Australian bombs down a big serve but once the rally starts, he's susceptible to better players off the ground. Montanes is one of those. He has lovely strokes off either flanks and likes to mix up the play with drop shots. His variety will hurt Ball here. Some might say that Montanes has no motivation for this one but against Michael Pryzysieny, he saved four match points - all on the Pole's serve - before winning the final set 6-0, so he must have some fight about him. He's never got past R2 of the US Open but to be frank, he probably won't ever get a better chance. As much as I respect Ball's serve on this surface, he's not played the calibre of player such as Montanes for a while. If Montanes brings his A-game to the table, he'll have too much for Ball. Not a big stake, but I do feel the Spaniard has a good chance here. :hope
2/3, with the big bet losing. Made a profit nonetheless but disappointing over Cilic as there were a few on him.

Murray mountain to take down Brown easily tomorrow fellas?
Murray handicap will be -9.5 for sure. Depends on the price, would need at least 2.00 before I'd even consider it. Murray has form in not covering a handicap...

Re: Tennis - US Open See, Cilic's back is messed up. Doesnt help that he's arching his back so much.....his career could be short if he keeps this up. Murray under 28.5 games looks OK....6-3 6-3 6-4 is within his grasp...Brown is crap, all serve but that shouldnt worry Murray. Could have a little dip which he likes, still expect him to run away with a few sets. Not sure.

Re: Tennis - US Open Well then, the only bets left for me today are Bellucci and Petkovic for medium stakes and Polansky for very small stakes if you guys interested. I feel that Bellucci should nick that one and Polansky is going to have chances, value if you can get him at more than 2.4, which you should easily I think. Worried about Petkovic a little, but that win in last round should have given her some confidence. Tomorrow - Murray can cover that against Bob Marley, what I am interested in is the tough match to call - Monfils vs. Tipsarevic, both at evens ATM. Opinions? Both played impressively yesterday.

See, Cilic's back is messed up. Doesnt help that he's arching his back so much.....his career could be short if he keeps this up. Murray under 28.5 games looks OK....6-3 6-3 6-4 is within his grasp...Brown is crap, all serve but that shouldnt worry Murray. Could have a little dip which he likes, still expect him to run away with a few sets. Not sure.
Yeah liking the unders wit Murray, guessing it will be around 1.90 or so. Brown had him with a handicap last match and did okay but that was purely down to his serve and Murray with his returns shouldn't have a problem. Just a passing note, did anyone see the handicap on Fed today, was at 10.5, highest I've seen before. Not going to make it though.

Well then, the only bets left for me today are Bellucci and Petkovic for medium stakes and Polansky for very small stakes if you guys interested. I feel that Bellucci should nick that one and Polansky is going to have chances, value if you can get him at more than 2.4, which you should easily I think. Worried about Petkovic a little, but that win in last round should have given her some confidence. Tomorrow - Murray can cover that against Bob Marley, what I am interested in is the tough match to call - Monfils vs. Tipsarevic, both at evens ATM. Opinions? Both played impressively yesterday.
Very hard to oppose Tipsarevic after yesterday's display. Don't know what the H2H is but probably a match best passed-over unless the previous matches throw up something.

Re: Tennis - US Open Reading the comments above, I'm feeling like we're all at a little coffee club session dipping rich tea biscuits into a nice cupper :lol. Monfils against Andreev wasn't too bad actually although was still doing stupid stuff to entertain rather than winning points. Probably fancy the Roddick slayer there perhaps.