Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Rio Just want to say what a joy it is to read your posts. With you it does seem so much more than backing horses and your obvious love for the sport really shines through in your posts and the wonderful photographs. And you're showing a profit as well. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks chaps. The sky was a bit grim on the way to Newcastle yesterday but by the time I arrived the sun was out & it was quite a nice day. Something to eat & down to business. Stormy Weather is a non runner in our race which means there will be a rule 4 if we win but he would have been my main danger. Glenwood Knight is available at 5/1 in the first so I top up & settle down to watch. He's struggling someway out & ends up tailed off, never mind we're up next. In the pre parade he's walking round without a rug which is unusual but this means I can see clearly that he looks fit enough, not that I'm an expert but unlike me he doesn't have a belly & I can just see his ribs which is supposed to be a good sign. Round into the parade ring where there's about a dozen of us, Donald's not here but I've met one of the two lads thats with him before & he says he's working well. Out comes Jason Maguire who tells us he's had plenty of work & two racecourse gallops so he's ready to go, he's thinking that Jim Goldie's will make the running & he's going to sit handy & wait till the last. On the way round to the parade ring I'd glanced at the boards & he was 6/4 & I was happy to leave that. We got to the owners & trainers viewing area & you can see the rails bookies from there. One of the members said "Look he's 9/4" I was trying to see the price on the next board, is that 3's, can't be, but it was because he then went 7/2. Now the school of thought is that if you fancy one & you back it & it drifts go in again, this was too big & I was off the stand thinking it will go before I get there but it didn't & the bet was stuck & I wasn't the only one. Back up the steps & they're off. The starts at the bottom of the home straight & he's leading at the first & as they past the post & go away from us. Another runner takes over briefly but down the back he's in front again. He's hurdling well, best I've seen him & as they swing round the bottom bend Jason kicks on & skips four or five lengths clear. He flies the second last & looks like he's going even further away but here comes the last which he seems to slow into & rather fluffs & is slow away & suddenly the race changes. There's two after him & he looks like getting swamped, one of them is the Goldie horse & he gets to him & goes a good head up. I think he's beat but hang on he's battling back, it's a long run from the last & both are going hammer & tongs at it. They hit the line & I think he's got back up, one of the others nods in agreement but another member thinks he's beaten. Down from the stand again & head from the parade ring, it must be tight because they use the replay these days & only call for a print if it's really close. There's a chap here from Scotland I've not met before & he scurries across the ring to me, he's watched the race from the rail next to the line & he thinks he's won, then. "Here is the result of the photograph for first place, first number one" YES, punch the air he's done it. We're all here now & cheer him back in. Jason's taking the saddle off & I'm just congratulating him when they give out the winning margin, a nose!! He looks at me & says "They told me not to win too far" I smile but then realise he's not joking "They said don't win too far & I nearly cocked it up" I don't know what to say but then "Bing Bong" stewards enquiry "No problem" says Jason. The photographer is wanting to take some shots but there's not enough room in the winner's spot for all of us & the horse so while she gets us in the middle of the ring with him Jason goes off to weigh in & face the Stewards. Pictures taken we are now hanging about. Someones seen the head on on the big screen & it doesn't look good, he's lugged into the runner up & the whip's in the wrong hand. Someone else has Betfair on his mobile & says we're 1.6 to keep the race. It seems to drag on, the longer it goes on the more chance we'll lose it. The bloke that does the announcing for the prize giving wanders over & tells us that if we we keep the race we'll need to be quick taking the photo's because the next race is coming up & indeed the horses are in the ring already. He then tells us that he's spoken to Jim Goldie & he thinks they'll get the race, oh joy. After what seems an age "Bing Bong, here is the result of the enquiry, the placings remain unaltered" YES, punch the air again & up for the pics, I normally just make one in but this time I'm making sure I'm the one doing the handshakes. They tell us there's no time for the usual shampoo but the others decide to go see if they can get a glass anyway. I decide to go get paid out & join a right queue at the bookies, it's taken that long to sort out that just as he's paying me out the next race is off. Back round to the Owners & Trainers bar & the Scottish bloke is in there & he raises his glass & indicates he needed a drink. He's not wrong I'm in need of one myself & head for the bar, seeing as it's St Patrick's day I take a mortgage out on a pint of Guinness. I notice as I'm paying for it my hand is shaking somewhat, I'd really got caught up in this one & I wonder what I'd be like if the horse was actually mine, of course it could have just been the cost of the beer. I've missed the Uttoxeter race with Cross of Honour, in fact the Midlands National is just about to start & by the time thats finished the Kempton race I've backed in is over too so I decide to avoid the results & watch them when I get in. For the record both were seventh, Cross of Honour faded late & Big Easy was never really in it. The Rule 4 meant I got paid out at 5/2 which is what the SP ended up so fair enough. The days stakes were 250pts with 400pts returned. W/R 7/32 Stakes 1387pts Returns 1763.75pts P/L +376.75pts Expense running total £430 Just one thing to sour the day. There was a photo frame for the prize & they have a picture put in it straight away & they said to pick it up from the racecourse office later. Red Merlin is co-owned by the club & a chap who works for Timeform & he wasn't there but really it should have gone to him. As I'm from West Yorkshire & Timeform is based in Halifax I said I'd collect it & see that it got to him. However when I went to the office on my way out it had gone & I think that's well out of order & I hope whoever it was is proud of themselves! In the ring dscf1603r.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Coming back in dscf1605o.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Waiting for the Stewards dscf1607p.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us It's been a long but enjoyable week & I think a few days off will do me good. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I don't know how the hell I've missed this thread before but just been back through most of it and found it a thoroughly enjoyable read. If you don't mind me asking, how much is a "Go Racing In Yorkshire" pass and are they still available? I have been considering a Pontefract badge but I'll have to take lots of annual leave and I often use that for racing anyway (Cheltenham, Ascot, York) and for the little lad's school holidays. Not sure I can justify a Ponty badge with so many midweek meetings. Secondly, can you please give me some info about the racing club you are a part of, feel free to PM me about it? I was supposed to be joining a syndicate of about 60 with Henry De Bromhead and spoke to one of the lads from his end that was running it. We had agreed the initial payment up front and the monthly fees and then a load dropped out at the last minute and it was scrapped or postponed. He has run a syndicate already via facebook and you get involved from the start, including the actual purchase of the horse, naming it and helping choose the races it goes for. My main problem there is the debut and early races will be in Ireland and I'm in Bradford. :eek I had no idea you were a Yorkie like me. :) I am regularly at the local tracks like Donny, Ponty, York, Ripon. Give us a shout next time you are at one of them and I'll catch up with you for a chat. I'm at York for all 3 days of the Dante meeting, got a Grandstand ticket but usually around the parade ring. Keep up the good work with the thread. :ok

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 The Go Racing in Yorkshire pass costs £315 & starts from the 1st of March & runs to the end of Febuary next year so if you get one now you've only missed a couple of weeks & the next meeting is Wetherby on the 30th. They had a stall at Catterick on the 7th so they're still promoting it & it's cracking value, it gets you in the grandstand & paddock area at all nine Yorkshire tracks & if you want you can upgrade to the members once your in. I've averaged the cost out across all the tracks at £15 so if you go 21 times it's paid for it's self & from the begining of April up to the end of the year there are over 150 meetings. There's the odd occasion when there are two meetings on the same day, one in the day & an evening meeting somewhere else but not enough to make much difference. Once the flat starts there's a meeting in Yorkshire almost every weekend. The only meetings with a restriction are the Ebor meeting where you can go in the course enclosure & St Leger day at Donny where the pass will get you in the family enclosure, but for both of these you can buy a grandstand ticket at a discount but I don't know how much yet but they say they send an order form to you around June. I joined after seeing the stall at the November handicap day at Donny & got an extra three months because if you joined then it started from the 1st of December. You need to send a passport size picture for your card & I hadn't got the card before the first meeting I could go to at Wetherby in early December but they rang me up & said my name was on the gate & if I wanted to go I could get in by showing some id which I did, got in no bother, can't fault them. Last week I had a letter from them & there's 10 days days watching Yorkshire cricket, 8 at Headingley & a couple at Scarborough as well if I want to go. There's a website www.goracing.co.uk I don't think it will be a problem me putting the link in here. As for the racing club Billyhills asked me which one it was right at the start of my thread so again I don't see a problem me putting up the website link & some info but if there is I apologise & I'm sure one of the mods will take it out, it's www.timeform.com/timeformbetfairracingclub/about.asp It costs £249 for a year & thats from the day you join. There's a Timeform card to download every day, these cost £6 normally but you get the download free. It's not any old card either & last week I had all four days for Cheltenham & it was the same for 09, 10 & last year & I've had Royal Ascot each year & all the big meetings as well the more mundane cards like on a Monday. There are only a handful of days that there's no racing in the year, Xmas & Good Friday so with about 360 cards at £6 a pop thats over £2,000 in cards. The next days card is up the previous tea time so you can look at it the night before, apart from the Monday card which you get Monday morning. The Saturday & Sunday card come together & you get those Friday teatime. If you get other Timeform stuff, like the Black Book etc you get 20% off. The main thing though is the horses in training. At the moment there are 13 & I think there will be two or three more for the flat season to come. When one runs you apply for an owners badge by e-mail & go in a draw for the free ones, the number of which varries from course to course, if you don't get a free one most tracks give the club extras at a reduced cost. I've had nearly 70 badges since May 09 & I've been knocked back twice & had to pay twice. When you apply you can ask to take a guest, it doesn't have to be the same person & they usually have to pay but it's normally a reduced cost. For instance there was a lad I see regularly at Newcastle yesterday & his wife was with him & she got in at half price, I've been when he's taken his Dad instead when she can't go. The badge you get gives you full owners privileges so you can go in the Owners & Trainers bar, the pre parade & parade ring & the winners & place spots after, the guest badge is the same. You don't get any of the prize money which goes back into the club for running costs. The clubs had runners all over from Ayr & Musselburgh right down to Folkestone & at the big tracks too, which you'll see if you've read my posts. There are stable vists which you apply for the same as badges & there's one to Paul Nicholl's coming up on April 1st & there's usually one at Richard Fahey's on a Sunday in April too. I hope the mod's don't mind me putting this up I don't get anything out of it except if I refer someone I get a three month extension on my membership, but as I say if they object I'm sure they'll let us know. I'll post here when I'll be racing again & we'll arrange to meet for a natter. ATB, RIo.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 does sound very good value Rio I recall Clive Smith is a member as the club own the nicholls horse starting with P (was it plenty pictures or comethinbg like that?). Does clive buy these or is he a patron of the club or something? The timeform cards interest me and i may get my dad involved in this. On the subject of owners badges, these are great value, when we had D Dhar at ascot, a second badge was half price and you still get the free food etc for yo and your guest!

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Over the last 18 months or so there are been a definite shift in the club. Quite a few of the horses are co-owned, Clive Smith is the club patron & co-owns Plenty Pocket & Indian Daudaie. Paul Barber (Denman) co-owns the long term prospect Keppels Hill, the one thats running in Point to Points. Red Merlin & Bourne are co-owned by a couple of the Timeform boys but it all ties in with Nicholls, McCain & Gordon Elliott & their Betfair columns & now it's Betfair who own Timeform that are driving the club where it was more the Timeform crew before. While I get what I want out of it I'm happy, they want publicity & thats fair enough which means they will be turning handsprings when such as Bourne wins at Ascot, If he had won at Cheltenham imagine what they would have got out of that. However Red Merlin's win yesterday would hardly cause a ripple because it wasn't a big telly meeting on C4 even though earlier in the week they thought it was going to be, but to me I'm having the time of my life & long may it continue. Yesterday one of the members was having a moan because we weren't getting told when one was fancied, he's not the first & they are the one's I don't see any more. As one of the Timeform boys told me you have to be careful what you say on that regard because even though we are not really the owners you can end up in deep water with the rules about laying your own horses on the exchanges & by default if they don't tell you it's fancied then the opposite must apply. I agree with that, if I wanted tips I'd join the Timeform jury or something similar, that is not what I joined for, it was for moments like yesterday when Red Merlin got back up & I was there & involved. I've told more than a few members the more you put in the more you get back & I'd say not many put more in than me, as for betting I live or die by my own actions. ATB, Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 There's a good card at Haydock today & having picked a few bets out I've decided to take the M62 & pop over the pennines into bandit country. 2.10 Kilcommon Pride is running well but would look to like it very soft & is up 8lb for a win at Ffos Las. Good Order also won LTO at Wincanton in early January, up 6lb but should go well. Atherstone Hill had a hard race when runner up in the Devon National only two weeks ago & might find trip a bit sharp. Dancing Art as won his last two, both at Newcastle over 2m 4f. Up 5lb but the step up to 3m should suit & he looks progressive, he's the choice. 2.40 There's a couple in here I've noted before. One is Timesawastin who was second to Big Easy at Bangor beaten just over a length with the third another 11 l's back. Up 6lb & should go well but not the most straightforward sort having run out two runs back. Star in Flight dotted up by 11 l's at Catterick three weeks ago at 1/3 when I was there, the third was another 10 l's back but has won since. I think this one might have been given a fair mark for a first go in a handicap, ground & trip ok & track should be no problem. Don't see much amongst the rest so I'll take Star in Flight here. 4.25 Bold Sir Brian has had a hat trick of chase wins in small field novices & is clearly progressive. However this is a fair step up in class & hardly looks chucked in off 145 for a first go in handicaps. Tiger O'Toole is another who's improving having won at Ludlow LTO but again is up in class & jumping looks a bit iffy at times. Chance du Roy won a similar event to this at Newbury in late November on his seasonal return. Good second off 7lb higher at Chepstow & then good runs in Murphy Group Chase & a Listed handicap at Ascot where he found the 3m just too far. Back down to his class & trip here & must run well. Bets. Dancing Art 70pts @ 9/4 Paddy Power BOG. Star in Flight 60pts @ 11/4 Hills BOG. Chance du Roy 40pts @ 5/1 Corals. I'll play again on track at 2/1, 5/2 & 9/2 or better. Red Merlin is in at Newbury on Friday but is unlikely to take that up. Bourne finished very tired at Cheltenham & both the trainer & jockey thought that he should have been held up more & that they got the tactics wrong, he is likely to be aimed at Aintree along with Red Merlin. Indian Daudaie is entered at Wincanton on Sunday & I would not be interested in that trip. Cause of Causes is in at Downpatrick on Sunday & again I will not be going. Arabian Spirit is one of 25 entered in the Irish Lincoln, should easily make the cut & is unless it turns into a bog is an intended runner. I have looked at this & have to say I am tempted but after much thought I will give it the swerve. I'm hoping Koup de Kanon takes up his entry at Hexham, also on Sunday. The race is a 2m 4f, 0to125 handicap & after dropping a pound for the poor run at Musselburgh thats the mark he's on so he would have top weight. Donald also has Jackson Cage in the race, this one looks progressive & might run instead. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 It's is a funny old game this is. Having backed Dancing Art at 9/4 & thinking he might go off shorter I head from the parade ring to the bookies to find he's 3/1 & 100/30 in places & is not even favourite, then I spot one bookie going 7/2 & dive in for a top up of 50pts at those odds. Taking up position on the stand I then see the board right in front of me is showing 4's, I'm sure he had four legs in the parade ring & then bugger me he goes 9/2. In the race he's held up & as they come down the straight for the second time he's moving up nicely, at the last he has to switch & on the run in he has a couple of lengths to find with the leader & gets to within a head as they hit the line, two more strides & he was up! Deja vu as Star in Flight is also longer in the betting & I get 50pts on at 4's. Timesawastin makes the running with Star in Flight tucked in behind & going well. Timesawastin makes several mistakes in front & as they turn in off the final bend Star in Flight is looking good & then suddenly nothing. Timesawastin is still going well & seems certain to rub salt in the wound when he makes a right Horlicks of the last & how he stays upright God knows. He looks to have thrown it away for a few strides but soon asserts & wins quite comfortably in the end. Thats painful & I'm thinking that this might be one of those days. However the sun is shining & it's turned into a cracking Spring day So I grab a latte & a seat in the sun. Chance du Roy is never longer than 9/2 & I take the price to 40pts. As they leave the back straight he's struggling & there's a fair gap between him the leaders. Aussie Jim is doing the commentary & having mentioned those in front says something like "Then it's Chance du Roy who's lost his chance" That's how it looked with Bold Sir Brian going well in front but suddenly he's treading in treacle & the others, including Chance du Roy are closing. He needs a good jump at the last which he gets but so does Door Boy & he's a couple of lengths to find & I'm thinking this is going to be the first race all over again but he grabs Door Boy close home & wins going away by just over a length. I watched the race from the end of the stand to try to get a shot of the last fence so it's quite trek to the winner's where I wanted to get a photo as he came back in but he beat me to it. Never mind back to collect & the odds are up for the next, 2/5 the favourite & I was going to stay to watch but decide to bale out hoping to miss the traffic on the M62 which apart from a small delay I do. In the end it turned out ok with stakes of 310pts & returns of 460pts W/R 8/35 Stakes 1697pts Returns 2223.75pts P/L +526.75pts Expense running total £465 Timesawastin comes back in dscf1614ly.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Chance Du Roy ( through the wing) needs a good jump at the last dscf1620a.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Tom O'Brien tells connections it was never in doubt dscf1622n.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Good shout on Chance Du Roy. I've been following Bold Sir Brian but ground put me off as it got pulled out at Cheltenham on good ground but as it was the chase course was reportedly good to soft. I was at work so missed the race but watched the replay and after looking the likely winner BSB emptied while Chance Du Roy was flying once over that last fence. Hope you had a good day. :ok

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thought it was a decent meeting today Rio, fancied Bold Sir Brian and thought he was going to pull clear after taking it up. Well done with Chance Du Roy, he did look the only danger. By the way, where are you based, i always thought you were down south for some reason? Nice photos too!:ok

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010

Thought it was a decent meeting today Rio, fancied Bold Sir Brian and thought he was going to pull clear after taking it up. Well done with Chance Du Roy, he did look the only danger. By the way, where are you based, i always thought you were down south for some reason? Nice photos too!:ok
I'm in West Yorkshire, perhaps the reason you thought otherwise is because rather like the Beach Boys "Round, round get around, I get around" Speaking of which Arabian Spirit is a definite for the Irish Lincoln & I'm struggling to stop myself going, it is though too early to get involved on the flat & I'll just have to watch on the box. It seems Cause of Causes will run at Downpatrick too so plenty of Irish action on Sunday. Not sure about Hexham yet but Plenty Pocket has an entry at Hereford on Tuesday & having had a glance at the race other than the Evan Williams Charm School there doesn't seem to be much in the field, I'll keep an eye on that one. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 No trip to Hexham today, Jackson Cage runs in the 3.10 & not Koup de Kanon & it seems that Koup may have run his last race this season. Donald is worried that if he runs on the faster ground he might do himself some damage, he has a pounding action & hits the ground hard which wouldn't do the tendons much good so he's having a Summer break & will probably go novice chasing later in the year. Jackson Cage should run well & looks to have Zefooha to beat but no bet for me. I have though backed one in the 4.40 Saddle Pack looks a false favourite having been flattered by the second to Degas Art a week ago & is a professional loser. Tipsy Indian should go well for the in form Sue Smith but makes mistakes & could just as easily end up on the floor as win. Panthers Run is in form but looks exposed & I like Strathaird for this. Liked the faster ground at Sedgefield when scoring 12 days ago & is up a fair 4lb for that. Adam Nicol gets on well with him & takes off 7lb. Bet. Strathaird 40pts @ 4/1 Bet365 BOG. Over in Ireland Cause of Causes is odd on to win the first at Downpatrick, he should like the faster ground & the extra 2f will suit. Willie Mullin's runs Sarabad with Ruby up. This one came from France & has been favourite on both runs for the yard but has been well beaten both times, might go better on this ground though. The rest haven't shown a lot so far & this looks a good chance for Cause of Causes to get off the mark but he's no bet at the best price of 4/6. Arabian Spirit returns in the 5.00 at the Curragh. He ought to have won more than three times with his ability but needs it all to fall his way. He's got his ground & trip & the likely strong pace will suit. They're saying he's fit enough & while he's 11lb higher than when he last won he did get done on the bob off this mark at Newmarket last May. You could go skint waiting for him to win but he's the sort of price he might just pop up at one of these times & I'd rather have a bit each way on him than take the odds on about Cause of Causes. Bet. Arabian Spirit 10pts ew @ 16/1 BetVictor BOG. I've applied for a badge for Hereford on Tuesday as it looks like Plenty Pocket will run. Bourne's next target is the 2m 4f handicap at Aintree on the Friday. Red Merlin could go for the Scottish Champion Hurdle next. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I've been waiting a bit before commenting on yesterday, I wanted to know if I'd got a badge for tomorrow & what the thoughts were on the two runners in Ireland. Anyway yes I have a badge for tomorrow, looking at the race if he ran to the Kempton form at the end of October then that would probably be good enough to win. If he ran to the Kempton form on Boxing Day & we still don't know why he was so bad, then he'll get beat. At the moment he's even money on Betfair with no offers from anywhere else, I'll be looking at the race & the rest of the card in more depth later. So to yesterday. I thought Strathaird was too far back right from the off, however he was upsides the winner going down the back so if he was good enough he would have won. I owe the winner an apology, he won rather well under a good ride. Arabian Spirit was quite well placed to about halfway & then dropped right out & trailed home, sticky ground & he was blowing hard after have been mentioned but to me he's lost the plot & I don't see him doing much from now on. I certainly won't be going out of my way to see him & I still think we should have got rid of him & not Sunrise Safari. Apparently Paul Carberry was told to go on if there wasn't much pace on but he decided to drop Cause of Causes in behind & ride him for a finishing kick. That's the first time I've watched racing at Downpatrick & it goes really narrow in the run up to the line & he got trapped behind the two in front, tried to squeeze between them, which they weren't having & then switched round them & by then they were at the line. The Timeform bloke is quite diplomatic in commenting that it wasn't the best judged ride but by all accounts Gordon Elliott didn't hold back in telling Carberry what he thought. There was never a chance I'd back him but with Mullin's taking all his runners out of the meeting including Sarabad he opened up 2/7 & went off 2/9 so I'm thinking that maybe one or two were trying to buy some money. W/R 8/37 Stakes 1757pts Returns 2223.75pts P/L +466.75pts Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Not much time so quickly. Plenty Pocket ought to win on form, the worry is what happened at Kempton LTO & at around 4/5 hes not a bet. He runs in the Kauto Star colours today. Just the one bet at Hereford DJ Milan in the 2.40. Won a bumper round here on this ground & was running quite well in a first time tongue tie (on again) when falling three out at Towester LTO I've also backed Enroller in the first at Market Rasen, looks to be improving over hurdles, was quite classy on the flat & the faster ground will suit for this handicap debut. Bets. DJ Milan 40pts @ 9/2 Bet365 BOG. Enroller 60pts @ 11/4 Hills BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Well what a day that was. It's a fair pull down to Hereford & I got there about an hour before the start. It was nice there this time last year but today was even better, this is global warming at it's best! Just wait till flaming June & it's lagging it down again. Dan Skelton was with Plenty Pocket & he was a bit worried that they've watered the track & might have overdone it. Heading round to the betting ring & he's 5/4 & goes to 6/4. Off they go & as they pass us the first time he's pulling a bit but jumping ok. Down the back & they start to push & he seems to go with them, then.. Nothing, he stops like he's been shot. Darryl carries on to the finish & tells us he went from cruising to nowt in five strides. We can't work it out, I don't think it was the ground that was overwatered, it's just another of those mystery runs. Nipped into a bar to see Enroller fail to take the bottom bend at Market Rasen & can't reel in the leader, not looking good this. Someone asked Dan about Grandioso & he says each way chance. It's hard for them when they're asked this & I don't do it & I suspect that Dan would say this about any of their runners if asked. If it wins your happy, if it places he said each way & if it gets beat he didn't tell you it would win. Make your own mind up I say. I get a top up on DJ Milan at 6's & watch the race with some other members. After the third last he goes clear with Grandioso & Koultas King, Grandioso just shows in front but crahes out at the next. Down to the last & Jason has just over a length lead, he gets over & jinks right & it looks like the other one is coming back but he holds on. I'm well pleased, that's a good profit for the day it's only when I get home I find he went off 8/1, I never saw that price, still Bet365 have paid me out but I still feel I missed a trick at the track. 130pts staked with the top up & 570pts returned. W/R 9/39 Stakes 1887pts Returns 2793.75pts P/L +906.75pts Plenty Pocket in the ring dscf1628n.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Dj & Jason come back in dscf1630k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 It seems that after Plenty Pocket had gone off for a routine test ordered by the stewards yesterday it was discovered that he was bleeding from the nose & had got blood in his lungs. He did seem to stop rather quickly & breaking a blood vessel would cause that & they're going to see where Paul Nicholls thinks we go from here but it's not looking good. Didn't update the expenses from yesterday. Expense running total £525 Arabian Spirit is still in the Lincoln but he won't get in that, he might sneak into the Spring Mile though & I'm going to ask for a badge. I intend going anyway & I might as well get in the owners & trainers if I can. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Arabian Spirit has got in the Spring Mile, Lee Topliss claims 3lb & he's drawn bang in the middle in 11. I don't know if I have a badge yet but intend going anyway so more thoughts on the card tomorrow or Saturday morning. I've been looking at Wetherby tomorrow & it's quite an interesting card. The four runner novice chase intrigues me, Alpha One & Franks a Million re-oppose having been first & third at Catterick when I was there earlier in the month. Franks a Million had been runner up to Koup de Kanon on New Years day & I was interested to see how he went FTO over fences having gone from bumpers to fences in no time. I have noted on my racecard that he was poor & also I've jotted down that Alpha One won despite taking half the fences with him. Franks a Million has fallen since at Sedgefield so Im looking at taking these two on. Global Flyer has won round here & is 3lb higher than when winning at Huntingdon in early Jan, after that he struggled a bit upped in class & was pulled up LTO at Newbury but is down to his level again here. I'm thinking of having a go though with Tribal Dance who's won a couple of hurdle races & makes his debut over fences here having had a break & wouldn't have to be owt special to take this. There's only two bookies priced up so far & i'm tempted to take the 9/2 on offer but I'll wait a while I think. In the 2m chase I'm looking at Border Reiver who's four wins have all come here & he likes fast ground. However they have been watering & the going is described as good so I'm hanging back a bit here. The price at Bet365 looks fair & I've gone to half stakes & if I think they've overdone the watering I'll give the rest of the bet the swerve or if not I'll get the rest on at the track price allowing. Similar situation in the 4.20 with Granville Island who looks the progressive one from the last run at Carlisle & won a bumper on fastish ground. Ishikawa from Alan Kings might show a bit more going into handicaps & Kingdom of Munster is going close but hasn't won for a long time. Again the price looks fair but I've played to half stakes till I see what the grounds like. Bets. Border Reiver 20pts @ 11/2 Bet365 BOG. Granville Island 20pts @ 4/1 Bet365. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 With the betting up Tribal Dance is a general 6/1 & I think thats a fair price with the doubts I have over the others. Having looked again at Granville Island I've decided the ground may not be as important for him as Border Reiver & have taken the 4's again, the price is going but is still there with a couple of firms at 4's as I write. Border Reiver is also being supported but I'll stick to the plan. At the track I'll top up again at 5/1 Tribal & Border (ground depending) & 7/2 Granville. Bets. 30pts @ 6/1 Tribal Dance Hills BOG. 20pts @ 4/1 Granville Island Ladbrokes BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Another strange day. Absinthe dots up in the first for Donald & Henry Brooke at 1/5. Some people will tell you that was value, 20% profit on outlay, you'd get killed in the rush to the bank if they offered that... Yer right. I got the Alpha One/Franks a Million scenario almost right in that Alpha One got as far as the third before he ended up on the dog shelf & Franks tailed away but I'd picked the wrong one with Tribal Dance always being too careful with his jumping at the back & running on too late. Tribal Dance was 11/4 when I got round from the parade ring & went off 9/4 favourite so no top up. The better than sticking it in the bank brigade got it stuck up them when Winning Habit was pulled up at about half way under McCoy. Border Reiver was well backed & I never saw longer than 7/2 here so no top up either & he flattered two out but the favourite had a ton in hand & dotted up. I,m looking for Granville Island to make it a winning day. He's best 100/30 when I get round from counting his legs & hang fire, a couple of minutes to the off & I spot 7/2 & get 50pts to the odds. Taking the stand they're all 7/2 & a couple are 4's. Back down & another 20pts to 4's is taken having not topped up before. He's well up there for a long way but fades & Hi Dancer wins the race. Stakes today 160pts & no return. W/R 9/42 Stakes 2047pts Returns 2793.75pts P/L +746.75pts Expense running total £540 Not the best day, however it could be worse. If anybody thinks I was cheering when Alpha One hit the deck then think again, the horse was up & away but the jockey Alexander Voy was taken away in the ambulance. Later in the Hunter Chase Brize Norton & Phillipa Tutty took a crashing fall, again the horse was up but Phillipa has a back injury & was taken away by the air ambulance. The latest news I can find is she is talking & moving her arms & legs, I have everything crossed. On a more cheerful note Hi Dancers jockey Craig Gallagher came in with a smile a mile wide having riden his first winner under rules, well done young man. I have a badge for Donny tomorrow, now where's me pin? Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I'm taking the train to Donny today so not much time. I've backed Arabian Spirit, more in hope than expectation & had a couple of small punts as it's early for betting on the flat for me. The idea is to see if there's anything for the note book really. I've gone for Crown Counsel in our race, at least you know the Johnston horses are always trying & he had a pipe opener at Kempton 12 days ago. In the Lincoln I'm on Mull of Killough. As mentioned in the key race thread this one was third in this race two years ago off the same mark & has been quite lightly raced since. Was with Richard Fahey last year & at the stable vist I went on in April they thought he would run in all the big mile handicaps but he didn't appear till quite late on. Now with Jane Chapple-Hyam he won on the aw in January, ground will suit & he should give a run for the money. Bets. Arabian Spirit 5pts ew @ 33/1 Bet365 BOG. Crown Counsel 10pts ew @ 16/1 Ladbrokes BOG. Mull of Killough 10pts ew @ 12/1 Ladbrokes BOG. 5pt ew Double Ladbrokes BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A big crowd at Doncaster for the opening day on turf. Richard Fahey said it might have been the ground Arabian Spirit didn't like in Ireland & we've nothing to lose running here. Somebody asked him about the days runners & he said he'd about 10 but nothing he'd say would win, he then excused himself for a moment while he watched his first 2yo runner of the season win the first at Kempton! Arabian looked a picture but then he always does. Lee topliss said he was going to try to get some cover. As the left the gate he was quite well away but Lee soon got him burried however it was clear he wasn't doing a lot when asked & he came home near the back. Crown Counsel was behind us & found nothing, not many cheers for the winner Norse Blues at 50/1 & paid over a 100/1 on the Tote. Lee said afterwards that he settled well but then at about halfway it got a bit rough & the horse is a bit soft & didn't want to know after that & he wasn't hard on him. I know what he's saying & we ought to drop two or three pounds for that but for me he is looking like a lost cause at the moment. So close in the Lincoln with Mull of Killough flying up the stands rail & just failing by a short head behind Brae Hill, trained by one R A Fahey!! The three that I noted in the paddock in the Brocklesby finished second, fourth & seventh & I think they will all win a race somewhere. Well Acquainted did best of the three & a maiden must be a shoo in but he won't be 12/1 next time. Qaraaba took the first division of the 10f handicap in good style having looked boxed in at one point but she's already gone up 5lb for a win at Kempton the other week & the handicapper will be having a good look at her, I don't know if there's a race that she could run under a pen in before that? Bailed out then & I've decided not to go today & it looks a quiet week for me, I might see what Haydock looks like next Saturday. 60pts staked & 40pts back. W/R 10/46 Stakes 2107pts Returns 2883.75pts P/L +726.75pts Expense running total £560 Arabian looking well dscf1639a.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us The "Squire of Sheriff Hutton" before My Boy Bill wins the Brocklesby for him dscf1641a.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary After Saturdays run the Timeform boys are kicking around the idea that Arabian Spirit may end up running in claiming class sooner rather than later, the idea being that he might do better at that level & if he doesn't then his handicap mark should come down faster. That's ok in theory but if the horse doesn't want to race then the class of the race won't matter, if it just won't put it in it won't beat whatever it runs against, we'll have to see. The 2yo with Ollie Pears looks like being called Confidential Creek, Sakhee's Secret-Upstream(Prince Sabo) He's on the easy list though having developed a problem with the near-hind stifle which could be ligament damage, hopefully it's not too serious & just needs a bit of rest. Indian Daudaie runs at Fontwell today & is having another go at chasing, there's only four runners & it looks a funny little race. Habbie Simpson sets the standard with his second to Prince of Pirates at Doncaster when he got caught close home, however he has an extra 3f to travel here, made a couple of mistakes in that Doncaster race & was on the floor on his first two chase starts when the races were getting serious late on. He's not been seen since late December either & all in all I wouldn't be taking a shade of odds on even if I did back at those prices. Mush Mir won on chase debut at Warwick & then ran alright at Exeter but looks nothing special, has to give 7lb to the other three because of that win. The Clyda Rover was a long way behind Mush Mir at Exeter & looks well out of it's depth here. There's no doubt that Indian Daudaie has been a real disappointment this season. He was well fancied at Haydock FTO on Betfair Chase day but weakened tamely. He then went chasing at Plumpton & that was probably his best run when he was 12.5l's fourth to the useful Invictus & it might have been better to stick to fences because the two hurdle runs at Wincanton after have been poor, especially the last one in Feburary when he was tailed off but the stable was under a cloud then. He wears cheekpieces today & I'm just wondering if the quirky figure of eight track might spark his interest today? At this rate I'll be talking myself into backing him if I'm not careful. I think I'd better just watch the race. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary "Not good" is the Timeform verdict on the performance of Indian Daudaie at Fontwell yesterday, bit of an understatement that I would have gone for appalling or atrocious myself, beaten over 60l's & couldn't even get home in front of The Clyda Rover for third. They are waiting to see what Paul Nicholl's says but to to me I'd get rid PDQ, you'd think if it was a physical problem then it would have come to light by now. I'm wondering if he's remembering the fall at Aintree last year because up to then he was running reasonable races, ah well that's the game. Stable vist to Richard Fahey's & Ollie Pears on Sunday the 15th, that's assuming I'm not snowed in like I am at the moment!! It's just over a week ago it was cracking the flags at Hereford, my old mate global warming again!! Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I was looking at going to Haydock today but while it's a cracking card it looks very competitive with the three races on C4 looking especially difficult. There is one I fancy though & I'll stick to just the one bet on that & watch the TV action where there's some good racing on the flat from Kempton & Musselburgh as well. Haydock 4.05 Henderson runs Fourth Estate who's unbeaten in four races, two bumpers & two hurdles but he looks a bit short to me on what he's done so far & I don't think he's exactly chucked in off 123 for a first handicap. I'm going to go with Sydney Paget who also makes his bow in handicaps & has jumped these fixed brush hurdles when he was second over C&D two runs back. The ground was heavy that day & this going will suit him better & he gets the trip. Bet. Sydney Paget 50pts @ 4/1 Bet365 BOG. Red Merlin has gone up 5lb for his win at Newcastle & is now off 135. He's been entered in the Scottish Champion Hurdle which is an early closer & is two weeks today. Paul Nicholls has entered several including Brampour who at 161 is the top rated in the field by some 12lb, if he were to run we would be 6lb out of the handicap so we're rather hoping he doesn't. I'll see how things look in about 10 days but should Red Merlin go to Scotland I'm pretty sure I'd want to go. Things start to hot up again next week with the Yorkshire fixtures starting to come thick & fast & three days at Aintree as well. If Bourne goes to Liverpool next Friday I think I'll put my name down but I wouldn't be confident of getting a badge. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've had a couple of days off to think about what I want to do over the next few weeks & after the poor run from Sydney Paget on Saturday, I don't mind getting beat if I think I've had a run for the money & that wasn't the case on Saturday. W/R 10/46 Stakes 2157pts Returns 2833.75pts P/L +676.75pts A mistake in that last returns which I've now corrected. Having had a good think I've decided not to apply for a badge for Aintree on Friday, I'm not good in large crowds & it will be packed because it is sold out so I'll give that one a miss I think. I'll make the trip to Ayr I think, that will be busy as well but should be bearable. Cause of Causes has been entered at Punchestown & also at Tramore on Saturday but no news yet. Bourne as also been entered at Punchestown but that would depend on how he goes at Aintree, the target is the 2m 4f handicap on Friday but he's been put in the race after the National on Saturday as a back up. Keppols Hill ran in a Point again on Monday & won again by 7l, the Cornish National no less. He may have one more point run if the ground allows & then will go novice chasing in the Autumn. I've decided to venture to Catterick today & as usual have had a bet or three. 2.00 Tight handicap but Brian Ellison has his team in good order & does ok at Catterick. Majestic Breeze looks the sort to improve as a 3yo & for stepping into handicaps. 2.30 Copperwood has done well since the move to Mark Johnston winning twice, got trapped out wide at Kempton last time & the likely strong pace here will suit, lad on him takes off a useful 5lb. 3.30 Arizona John won a Donny Amateurs handicap LTO & carries a 6lb pen here which puts him on a mark of 72. He's won off 81 over C&D in September 2010 so he's still well treated today & I would have this as my main hope for the day. Bets. Majestic Breeze 40pts @ 5/1 Boylesports BOG. Copperwood 25ps @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG. Arizona John 50pts @ 4/1 Paddy Power BOG. I'll top up on track at 4's, 7's & 7/2 or better if available. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I didn't enjoy that yesterday, it ended up being throughly miserable weather wise & I wasn't far behind. Majestic Breeze ran a fair enough race in third but didn't break well & never looked like catching the front two, she'll probably win a small race somewhere & could be worth trying over 6f or on a stiffer 5f. After the first it started to drizzle & it got a bit nippy with it. Copperwood was generally 9/1 but one bookie went 10's so I took that, then the panto season returns, he would not go in the stalls & took an age to load, finally they're all in & the gates open & he decides now he's in he doesn't really want to come out & lost three or four lengths. He passed a few in the straight but never got anywhere near & left me cursing no run for the money. I watched the race from the stand near the rails layers & watched three blokes wander up to the bookies just before the off. One of them produced a wad of notes that would choke an elephant & counted off a fair chunk & placed a bet. I suspect they backed the favourite Madam Macie who went off at 5/2 having been as short as 2's at one point because they were getting quite animated down on the rails near the finish as the jolly was in with a chance but got beat half a length & they didn't return to collect. I stayed there for the claimer the drizzle having now become steady rain & looked like it was settling in for the afternoon. Again just before the off the three musketeers returned to the rails bookies & the money man stuck another wedge on something. Again after the race there was no collecting of winnings & I would lay short odds that they'd backed Tajneed who was back with Dandy Nicholls having had a spell in France with little success & who was dropped massively in class & really ought to have won pulling a cart. However he didn't but Dandy still won the race with his second string. A damp trip to the parade ring to confirm that Arizona John has four legs & then back round to the betting ring. He's 9/2 & 5's in a place & I'm wondering about the ground because he wouldn't want it too soft but on evidence so far they're not kicking lumps up. Then he goes 11/2 & I decide I'll play at that, he can't go any longer surely, can he? Yes he can, he drifts again & goes off at 13/2 & from my perch back in the stand I can see 7's. He's well placed in fourth out of the back & as they sweep into the straight he nips up the inside rail & goes for home, I'm just thinking the lad on him has rode a peach & nicked it when another one challenges him late on, can he hold on? No he's passed close home & beaten a head, more curses. I was going to stay & watch the next two but the spirits are low & now I'm getting cold as well as wet, time to go. Not a good day, with the top ups 215pts staked & no return. W/R 10/49 Stakes 2372pts Returns 2833.75pts P/L +461.75pts Expense running total £600 Aintree 3.05 Riverside Theatre did me a good turn at Cheltenham but he made hard work of it & I think he may be better going right handed & this trip may be beyond his limit. Medermit might also find this a bit far especially with Nacarat likely to be blazing away from the front. Hunt Ball is also up in trip & in class & the fairytale must end somewhere. What a Friend looks to have lost his way a bit & Diamond Harry is fragile & also has not gone on. The others don't look good enough which leaves me with Burton Port who will stay, won over C&D two years ago & goes on the ground. Bet. Burton Port 40pts @ 9/2 Bet365 BOG. Bourne runs tomorrow, thoughts later. Cause of Causes entry at Tramore was an admin error apparently but he is in the two races at the Punchestown festival. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary McCoy worked hard to get second on Burton Port yesterday & with Riverside theatre pulled up the Henderson horses are running flat at the moment, bit like me :p W/R 10/50 Stakes 2412pts Returns 2833.75pts P/L +421.75pts So the 4.50 today & Bourne. The idea is not to have him up with the pace like he was in the Martin Pipe & to hold him up & come later like he did at Ascot. I'm not sure if that was by accident or design in that race as he got shuffled back a couple of times but I would say that if he can get cover & they go a decent pace he should run well. When I was looking last night he was a general 9/1 & I thought I'd hang fire till this morning but now he's only 5/1 & 9/2 in places & threatening to go off favourite & I'm not getting involved at that price in this sort of race. I'll sit this one out now & if he wins so be it. I have had a bet in the Topham & have gone for Little Josh who's been highly tried this season & now drops back into a handicap off a 1lb lower mark than when winning the Paddy Power in 2010. This is his trip & he likes to be up there so he can stay out of bother, if he can get jumping & settled early in can run a big race here. Bet. Little Josh 30pts @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.