** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rio's Racing Diary

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Arabian Spirit ran in the first at Ripon yesterday. For the first time I didn't get a badge but I went anyway. I think they must be looking after me though because Red Merlin runs at Wetherby this afternoon & I have a badge for that & he is a short price for the hat trick. Arabian ran alright & was sixth (up to fifth because the fifth didn't weight in) & speaking to one of the other members afterwards Paul Hanagan said he'd felt good but wouldn't let himself down on the fast ground. He shouldn't go up for that & it will bring him on so just a bit of rain needed. On form Red Merlin ought to win today but is a best priced 2/5, I've stuck him in a double with Waldvogel in the last which breaks all my rules but what the heck. Other bets. The first is a lady riders handicap hurdle & I've had a small bet on Mister Fizzbomb who's won on the flat but not over hurdles but has run some fair races on fast ground which he gets today. 3.00 Border Reiver has won twice & placed four times from six starts round here, goes on the ground & looks to have Ponchatrain to beat. That one is an 11yo & at 7yo Border Reiver should be open to further improvement. 3.35 This looks to be between Sous Mix & the Irish raider Oscar Barton, I'll go for the latter with the booking of Tom O'Brien interesting as it's his only ride so it's not a spare he's picked up. 4.40 Cornish Castle ran a fair first race for his new stable last time & is worth a bet in a very weak seller. Bets. Mister Fizzbomb 5pts @ 20/1 Bet365 BOG. Border Reiver 30pts @ 2/1 Stan James. Oscar Barton 25pts @ 3/1 Bet365 BOG. Cornish Castle 15ps @ 6/1 Bet365 BOG. Red Merlin & Waldvogel 30pt double @ 2/5 & 6/4 VCBet BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Bit late with an update as I've been working & have been strapped for time. Another glorious day at Wetherby & Red Merlin landed the hat trick with little fuss, winning by 19l. He has a bruised foreleg which has swelled up but it's not thought to be serious & he'll have a week off. Jason Maguire said after that sticking to small field novices would be the best idea for now rather than going for a big handicap at this point where they might go flat out, we'll see. Bets wise. Mister Fizzbomb didn't run. Border Reiver's jumping was spot on & won him the race. Oscar Barton had it won off the final bend & was well backed to do so. Red Merlin ended up at 4/7 but Waldvogel let the double down. I left before the race but watched it at home & I have to say I thought the rides that both Waldvogel & the second favourite Archie Rice got were shockers. They were both too far off the pace, Waldvogel must have been 20l back off the last bend & five finished in a heap with 2l covering them. Still 100pts staked returns 190pts. Racing Club bets W/R 37/158 Stakes 4238pts Returns 4353.08pts P/L +115.08pts I'm trying to clear out some of the previous pics I've attached because I've hit my limit but I'm not having a deal of sucess, I'll have another go when I've got more time. We now have two new 2yo's A colt by Harlan's Holiday who's an American sire & was beaten favourite in the 2002 Kentucky Derby. He did win Grade 1's in the States though & did all his racing on dirt & so far in his short stud career (first crop in 2007) his best winners have been on dirt. The dam County Fair has produced three winners to date, two of them in North America. Her best winner so far, though, was Steaming Home, a useful two-year-old sprinter when trained in Ireland by Dermot Weld, who won a listed race at the Curragh before contesting the Cheveley Park Stakes. County Fair ran just the once herself, but her dam Ten Cents A Kiss, who won twice in the USA, produced no fewer than ten winners at stud. This one has gone to Brian Meehan so a vist to Manton is something to look forward to. The other one is another colt, this one is by Red Clubs & it's his first crop this year. The dam is called Stop Out & he's gone to Michael Bell's at Newmarket & thats all I know at the moment. Plenty Pocket will go for a breathing op in the summer. Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 After a bit of a quiet time I'm off to Ripon this evening where Sunrise Safari makes his seasonal return in the 6-45. They're actually sounding quite bullish about his chances on the club site. He's 3lb lower than when he won FTO at Leicester last year & should get the strong pace he needs. He's reported to have worked well on Tuesday & the stable is in form. I'm not sure the undulations at Ripon suit him though & he's hardly the model of consistency, what I do like is Tony Hamilton takes the ride & he's a win & fourth from two goes on him. I've had a small ew bet & will have the same again at the track if I can get the same price. For the rest of the card. 5-40 One Kool Dude sets the standard but keeps finding one or two too good. Blue Shoes should improve for her debut third & was hampered too. The rest have yet to run & my eye is drawn to the Bryan Smart filly Excelette who is by Exceed and Excel & is a half sister to Excel Bolt who we ran into when that one dotted up FTO last year. She's worth a small interest. 7-50 Smart has Mother Jone's in this but shes had plenty of chances. Pearl Storm was second on his only start last June & should go well but must have had a problem. I'm with Elusive Prince who looked to improve with each run last year & the stables in form. 8-25 I don't usually stay for the last but King in Waiting would be my main hope for the evening. Good win at Redcar when making the running in cheekpieces & looks to have a good chance to do the same on a track that suits front runners. Bets. Excelette 20pts @ 4/1 Stan James. Sunrise Safari 10pts ew @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG. Elusive Prince 20pts @ 9/2 Bet365 BOG. King in Waiting 40pts @ 11/4 Paddy Power BOG. Red Merlin was put in the Swinton to see what was entered but won't run because a scan has shown some minor ligament damage from the knock he took at Wetherby. He will have a few weeks rest. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Sunrise ran ok but couldn't get any cover & ran a bit free, that will blow the cobwebs off & he should be out again quite soon. Of the others. Excelette ran alright, Elusive Prince won very nicely but King in Waiting was a big let down. 120pts staked with the top up on Sunrise & 110pts returned. Racing Club bets W/R 38/162 Stakes 4358pts Returns 4463.08pts P/L +105.08pts I looked at the Thirsk card tonight thinking I might go but it doesn't look up to much apart from Ollie Pears runs The Caped Crusader in the 7-00. The stables not exactly flying but he was keen on this one & I've had a small punt. Bet. The Caped Crusader 20pts @ 5/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Nothing from the bet on The Caped Crusader, the stable have a couple at Thirsk tomorrow but Jade at Ripon on Sunday could be of more interest. Racing Club bets W/R 38/163 Stakes 4378pts Returns 4463.08pts P/L +85.08pts On my travels again tomorrow, Arabian Spirit is in the first at Newmarket & I'll have to be away quite early so I've had a look at the card & had a few bets this evening. There's been a bit of rain about but I'm not sure if any landed on Newmarket which would help our cause. He ought to come on for the run at Ripon & on his best form would have a chance but it wouldn't suprise me if there was something more progressive in here. It could be the Godolphin runner Con Artist but I like the look of Nelson's Bounty who won a similar event at Ascot on his seasonal return. A 5lb rise looks fair enough & he should come on for that run. I've back this one with an ew bet on Arabian. 2.50 I went to Wetherby the other day where Abergavenny dotted up at 1/6 under Henry Brooke who's won a couple on Red Merlin for us. That was his second win over hurdles & his third run for Brian Ellison the first being on the flat at Donny where he was a decent fourth over 10f. Last season he was with Mark Johnston & had some fair form up to around 12f & he looks worth a go at this trip of 14f here. looks like the ground won't be a problem, he's got a feather weight & the lad on him is two from seven rides for the stable & takes off another 3lb. There's plenty of dangers of course, including three from Johnston & a couple from Fahey but Abergavenny is worth a punt. 3.25 A few improvers in this. Oasis Storm ran well LTO & was beaten a nose & Cecil's Glencadam Gold is improving but looks a bit quirky. Whiplash Willie should like the step up to 12f & Cry Fury won an aw maiden on only his second start but was all over the place under the whip close home. Parlour Game is by the German sire Monsun & ought to love the step up in trip. Finished well to win over 11f at Kempton LTO & the fourth & fifth have both won since, stable is going well too & he'll do for me. At this point I shall probably bail out & head for home as the rest of the card holds little appeal. Bets. Arabian Spirit 10pts ew @ 11/1 Bet365 BOG. Nelson's Bounty 30pts @ 6/1 Hills BOG. Abergavenny 25pts @ 7/1 Stan James. Parlour Games 50pts @ 3/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks Gents. Had a good run down to Newmarket yesterday. First time I've had an owners badge there & they look after you. Most tracks have free coffee & tea in the owners & trainers bar but here there were sarnies laid on too. Arabian looked well in the pre parade ring & in the parade ring it's self after saddling, he actually won best turned out. Richard Fahey wasn't there, he'd gone to France on Thursday with Wooton Bassett but the chap with him said he seemed in good form. Paul Hanagan came out & said he'd come on for the Ripon run but we'd just have to see how he went on the fast ground. Just time to wish Paul all the best in France :hope:hope:hope & off to watch the race. Got a spot just outside the owners & trainers bar which is on the first floor of the grandstand but it was quite busy. They're off. As they run into the dip Arabian is coming through. They hit the rising ground & it's tight but he's there. Right in front of me are steps down the ground level & I can see through here as they go for the line & he's in front!!! Some lunatic is shouting "Go on Paul" & I realise it's me!! And I can't see the finish for the people in front of me!! Did he hang on? Quickly into the bar where there's a telly but before the replay is shown the result comes through. "Bugger, done on the line" I exclaim, which gets me a few funny looks. Back down to the parade ring where we're all buzzing. Applaud the winner in & then our lad but Paul looks a bit sheepish as he hops off. Now I don't know if it's because he remembered me from Ayr last year when Arabian got done on the line there but it's seems like he wants to talk to me. "He pulled up in front, he thought he'd done enough" he says, looking most apologetic & he suggested that he might need some headgear. I thought then & I've watched it again that he couldn't have done any more & I still think that & I told him so but he still looked a bit miffed as he went off to weigh in. Anyway we did the right thing & Applauded the winners connections as they got the trophy & we live to fight another day. After that though it was all downhill. Nelson's Bounty had been fourth in our race. Abergavenny got in a barging match about 3f out but never looked like getting into the race. The big let down was Parlour Games. There were three non runners, from the fancied ones too & he still never looked like winning. Arabian was returned at 12's so the ew paid 3/1 the place & got me 40pts back from the 125 pts staked. Racing Club bets W/R 39/167 Stakes 4503pts Returns 4503.08pts P/L +0.08pts Jade from the Ollie Pears yard runs in the 3.10 at Ripon & she ran quite well FTO in second at Thirsk. She should improve for that & the winner Iceblast ran a good third in a better race at York on Wednesday. Jade is in stall 8 of 10 which means she's three off the stands rail which looks a decent draw. Bet. Jade 50pts @ 3/1 Coral. I've deleted quite a lot of the pictures that I've posted but still can't put up any new ones, any ideas why not anybody? Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Rio, I post images via Imageshak or similar, no limit from there. Just upload them to their site and copy the link in your post. I also post some on Facebook and post the link that way. Like Here For Example PL has had some changes behind the scenes lately so maybe that has something to do with it mate. PL was clogging up and the changes were made to improve the site I believe. Sounds like you had a cracking day all the same:ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Been tied up with work so haven't had any time to myself. I'll have a look at putting up pictures via imageshack, I see it's been done in another thread, thanks for that Billy. To tidy up. Jade was second on that last run. Racing Club bets W/R 39/168 Stakes 4553pts Returns 4503.08pts P/L -49.92pts I get one day off this week & it's dropped just right because Sunrise Safari runs this evening in the 8.35 at Newcastle. Plenty in with chances but on his best form Sunrise would win this. He's gone well here in the past with a win & a second & third from five runs. Ran in this last year off 86 but was well back, however he ripped a shoe off in that & he's in here off 6lb less. He's also won two & been second twice on his second runs of the season. He's never going to be one to lump on but is worth a bet. In trying to sort out one to pay for the petrol I've gone for Orsippus in the 8.05. This one's not run on the flat since Oct 09 but has some decent form over hurdles including a win in a Grade 1 at Aintree & does have a couple of C&D runs if you go back to 09 with a half length second on this going catching the eye. Not a world beater but this is a poor race & a return to the flat can spark his interest. Not a great deal else on the card with four runners in the first, then a 2yo maiden & a Stoute odds on shot in the fourth but I've had a go against the favourite Dubai Dynamo in the 6.55 who's got a 6lb pen for winning at Ripon two days ago with Xilerator. This one drops back to 7f after pulling too hard over a mile at Thirsk on his return & is only a 4yo so can still improve having only had five starts. Worth a go at double figure odds. Bets. Xilerator 10pts @ 15.5 Betfair Orsippus 60pts @ 5/2 Paddy Power BOG. Sunrise Safari 25pts @ 7/1 Hills BOG. Red Merlin is still on box rest which is a bit of a worry as it seems to be taking a while to get over the knock he got when winning at Wetherby. Arabian Spirit may go for a handicap at Epsom on Oaks day but might not make the cut, he went up 2lb to 88 for the run at Newmarket. I am working that day & have to be careful with what I book off as I don't get many days to play with. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Quick update cos I'm working tonight. It turned out sunrise had no chance from the draw although Paul said before that it seemed the going was pretty uniform across the track but the far rail was the better strip. Orsippus was a bit of a let down but Xilerator bolted up by 5l on that far side & paid for the trip up. 147.75pts back after the Betfair deduction Racing Club bets W/R 40/171 Stakes 4648pts Returns 4650.83pts P/L +2.83pts The 2yo with Brian Meehan is now in full work & said to be going well however it seems I was right to be worried about Red Merlin. He has damage to a suspensory ligament & will be out until Xmas which is a shame as he was getting the hang of hurdling & I hope he comes back something like. They've gone straight to the sales & bought Koup de Kannon to go into training with Donald. Previously with Emma Lavelle he's still a maiden but a brief look seems to suggest he has promise & they think he'll make a chaser, no idea if he'll run soon though. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Well that worked very nicely, better picture quality too. This is from Red Merlin's win at Wetherby on April 17th. Grand National winning jockey & trainer dscf1292m.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us In the parade ring before dscf1293x.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Crossing the winning line dscf1294h.jpg And back into the winners spot. dscf1296t.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Newcastle last week. Hanagan wins the first. dscf1312l.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Xilerator pays for the petrol. dscf1316c.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Caraboss wins in the Derby winning colours? Tried to have a word with her Maj but they whipped her off for a bottle of vintage Newky Brown to celebrate. dscf1317h.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Finally Sunrise Safari in the parade ring. dscf1320s.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Many thanks to Billyhills for sorting that out :clap:clap:clap Arabian Spirit goes for the Investec Mile on Friday, unfortunately I can't as I'm working :sad Pity because I actually think the Friday card is better than Derby day. I'll post some thoughts Thursday evening. The Harlan's Holiday colt will be called Holiday Read. The name is derived from a combination of the horse's pedigree and the popular American thriller writer Harlan Coben. There was a vote on three names but the most popular choice, Harlan County, was eventually rejected after the more thorough check confirmed that there's already a horse with that name registered in the US. So they went with the second preference, not sure if I like it myself. Koup de Kanon is At Donald McCain's & has been put out to grass & will be brought into training with a view to running sometime around October. I've had a look at the Ripon card as I thought I might go but have not decided yet. I have though had couple of bets. 7.40 Elusive Prince won well when I was there the other week & looks on a fair mark for this first go in a handicap. 9.10 Petella won the race after that at the same meeting. Finished second since but got caught napping & looks an improver. Bets. Elusive Prince 65pts @ 3.15 Betfair. Patella 40pts @ 11/4 Paddy Power BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Ok, in the end I didn't go & watched on ATR. Elusive Prince won quite nicely, depending on the mark he's given he can win again. Petella got done on the line, can't fault the ride just one of those things. If only they all ran that well. Racing Club bets W/R 41/173 Stakes 4753 Returns 4848.60 P/L +95.60pts Arabian Spirit tomorrow. He's in form, ground is not too fast, stall 2 is fine & he a very well balanced sort who should handle the track. Hanagan has gone for ET, according to our ace Timeform tipster the girls in the office think Paul gets it wrong quite a lot of the time, not as wrong as our ace tipster for me :\ I have had along day at work & have no more than a quick look at this race never mind the rest of the card. I've had a bit ew & will record the action on the Beeb as they dust off their under used staff to warm up for the Royal meeting in less than two weeks. Bet. Arabian Spirit 10pts ew @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Arabian Spirit ran quite well at Epsom, getting no run when still going well & he ended up seventh beaten about 7.5l. Racing Club bets W/R 41/174 Stakes 4773 Returns 4848.60 P/L +75.60pts It's been a bit quiet this week & I've been looking at going racing but nothing as taken my fancy, although I could have put my name down for Chester today where Saharia runs in the 4.30 a 7f claimer. I'm not a fan of Chester as I've said before & Sunrise Safari was in at Sandown & I was thinking that I might go there but he never looked like getting in the race so that was a none starter. Looking at the Chester race he wouldn't be without a chance if things dropped right for him. I don't know the tactics though as he needs burying & to come through late & judging that at this track is nigh on impossible. I have had a small bet just in case. Bet. Saharia 5pts ew @ 10/1 Bet365 BOG. As usual on the weekend before a big festival the racing is made up of big field handicaps & I've just had a quick look. I've noticed that Sound Amigo from the Ollie Pears stable is in the 2.25 at Sandown today. What I didn't notice is that he ran at Haydock just over three weeks ago & won at 9/1 :( This would be due to the fact that I was in the middle of my bloody stupid night shifts which mean the rest of my life gets put on hold. He actually looks to have a good chance today but is around 7/2 & after missing the wedding I am not going to the funeral. If he wins so be it. The 3.15 at York usually throws up something to follow & right down at the bottom is Elusive Prince whos done me a couple of good turns at Ripon lately. This is a different ball game but I thought he ran two good races at Ripon & I reckon he's worth a small bet at the odds on the exchanges. Bet. Elusive Prince 10pts @ 16.5 Betfair. Holiday Read the 2yo with Brian Meehan is not now called that, when they went to register the name it was rejected due to "phonetic similarities" to another registered horse in the US. The third name in the poll was Trip To Kentucky but I've no idea if thats going to be the choice now. Finally Sunrise Safari is entered at Beverley next Thursday. It's an evening meeting so it won't interfere with Ascot & I'll ask for a badge I think. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Saharia got knocked about at the start & never really got involved which is pretty much as I thought. They're going to have a think about where to go next, me I'd go for a stiff galloping 7f or even a mile somewhere. Elusive Prince was up there for a long way till fading in the last furlong. Thats probably the best 3yo sprint handicap of the season, it usually is & he can win again down in grade. Racing Club bets W/R 41/176 Stakes 4793 Returns 4848.60 P/L +55.60pts As well as Beverley on Thursday Sunrise is in at Ayr on Friday. I enjoyed my trip up there last September but it's a long way & if he goes there I probably won't. They were going to put him in at Redcar on Friday as well but Richard Fahey hasn't entered any there due to the prize money row. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 The Vital Equine 2yo that had no name when I went on the Ollie Pears stable vist runs in the 2.15 at Thirsk today. Rather like Sound Amigo I missed it when it ran FTO & she was beaten a head at 6/1 at Catterick. She's been called Slenningford & she's priced around 6/1. However it looks a bit of a warm race of it's type with four winners in the field of seven & I think she needs to improve a good bit & at this point I'm inclined just to watch. So to Royal Ascot. The two mile Group 1's look races just to watch. The clash between Canford Cliffs & Goldikova is one to savour & it will be fascinating to see what tactics are used on Frankel today. 3.05 I do hope we're not going to have another Royal meeting where they can't make their mind up about the going or it gets ruined by a draw bias. At the moment the Racing Post site have it as Good, Good to Soft in places & the going stick at Stands' side 9.2, Centre 9.6, Far side 9.0, Round 8.1. That to me would indicate that the straight course is on the faster side of Good & the soft places are on the round course which is whats happened before. Anyway this race in recent times as gone overseas, especially to the Aussies who have Star Witness in today but this one to me doesn't look at the same level as previous raiders & the last two runs have been poor. Said to be working well but when was the last time you heard connections say one was working crap before a race. Back to the ground & the trainer stated Sole Power won't run if there's soft in the going description & Overdose is said to need cut these days. Somebodys going to be disappointed then. Kingsgate Native might run well, then again he might not & Astrophysical Jet has had a bug & seems to run better later in the season anyway. Sweet Sanette is interesting having beaten Sacred Kingdom a neck at Sha Tin in April but was getting 16lbs & that one may be on the downgrade. I've gone for Bridgetown who's only been out of the first four once in 12 starts, gets 6f so this stiff 5f will suit & likes to be up near the front which is usually whats needed in this. Don't see Todd Plecher is just here for a holiday. Bet. Bridgetown 15pts @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG. 4.25 The trends say. single figure price, nine of last 10. Win LTO, all 10. This gives a shortlist of Gatepost, Mezmaar & Power. The form in the book says Power for me & O'Brien has a decent record in this. Bet. Power 40pts @ 5/1 Bet365 BOG. 5.00 Gone for Veiled here. Right sort of mark off 88, good win at Newmarket LTO & at 5yo is still open to improvement on the flat. Fallon is a good booking. Bet. Veiled 30pts @ 6/1 Hills BOG. 5.35 Wesley Ward who won this two years ago runs Gentlemens Code who's had a sighter over here with a win at Folkestone. Only three ran that time but the runner up Bear Behind (also in here) has won since. Needs to improve quite a bit for me though. I like Frederick Engels who ran well first two runs in maidens & on the second start was second to Shumoos who's favourite for tomorrows Queen Mary. Frederick Engels then won a decent conditions race at Musselburgh by 6l which is the best bit of form here so far. Bet. Frederick Engels 40pts @ 4/1 Paddy Power BOG. Sunrise Safari is declared at Beverley on Thursday evening. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks chaps, a good day indeed. Bridgetown ran ok. Power had to survive a stewards but there was never much danger they'd take it off him in truth. Veiled dotted up & landed the extra free bet from Bet365 for the 4/1+ & I get another free go in the first tomorrow. Icing on the cake was me watching the wrong one in the last :eyes just as I'm thinking he's fading Murtagh bursts through & wins going away on the one I should have been looking at. Four bets plus the free one, three wins & the free one. Stakes 125pts, return 875pts, 750pts up on the day. Racing Club bets W/R 45/181 Stakes 4918 Returns 5723.60 P/L +805.60pts Just to put a cherry on top it seems I've won £20.48 on this Bodugi free game under my Flying Dutchman pseudonym as well. I'm a close second in the PL league behind Trotter who it seems didn't realize there was a free game to be had. I have a badge for Beverley Thursday evening. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 The going for day two remains the same, the clerk of the course says it's slightly drier but light showers are forecast for this afternoon before the heavy stuff arrives for tomorrow. He also thinks there's no draw bias... Hrrm we'll see, I'd want the stands rail myself (high) I was going to give the Jersey a miss but as I have a free bet from Bet365. The three major 2000 Guineas form is all represented with Fury an 18l fifth to Frankel & just touched off in a mile Listed event at Sandown after. Havane Smoker was second in the French 2000 & nothings won from there yet although Tin Horse was a decent fifth in the French Derby. Oracle was third in the Irish version but looked exposed before. The winner Roderic O'Connor was behind Tin Horse in that French Derby & the runner up Dubawi Gold did nothing for the form in the St James's Palace yesterday. Strong Suit flopped in the Greenham & had a breathing op after. An improver looks to be Codemaster who was second in the big 2yo sales race at Redcar last backend & won a Newmarket Listed at this trip on return. Western Aristocrat is two from two & looks another improver but this is a big jump in class. The rest don't look good enough. I've gone with the French raider Havane Smoker who's drawn against the near rail & should be suited by the drop back to 7f. Bet. Havane Smoker 40pts @ 9/2 Bet365 BOG. 3.05 I have this between I'm a Dreamer & Sajjhaa. I've gone with the latter, I like the run at York where she made Midday work quite hard. That was her first run this season so she should come on for that. If Frankie can get across he should be able to dicate the pace from the front. Bet. Sajjhaa 40pts @ 4/1 Hills. I'll give the Prince of Wales's a miss, although I don't think that it'll be the cakewalk for So You Think thats been mooted he should win. 4.25 I've gone for Bronze Prince in this. Won his only start as a 2yo on the aw in Nov 09 & then flopped on his only run at three in a late Sept handicap at Ascot. Left Godolphin after & has had two starts this season for John Gosden & ran quite well, especially the second run at Donny where he was third of 20 over 7f 11 days ago. Gets in as a reserve at the bottom, is totally unexposed after only four runs, is well drawn in 28 of 31 & should like the step up to a mile. Bet. Bronze Prince 10pts ew @ 16/1, five places Bet365BOG. The Shumoos form got a right boost From Frederick Engels yesterday but I'm not playing at around 5/4 from stall 3. Wesley Ward's Gypsy Robin could go well & I always like the Hilary Needler form & Dozy should go well too. No bet. I'll give the last a miss too. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Nothing from yesterday. Havane Smoker ran a shocker & I'm glad that was the free bet. Before the race Soumillon gave the impression that he might not got home so I expect thats why he was trying to hold him back. Then after he was blaming the last run, not for me I think the horse sulked cos he couldn't get his head. At least the other two were put in the race but both faded in the last furlong or so. Racing Club bets W/R 45/184 Stakes 4978 Returns 5723.60 P/L +745.60pts Willie Carson was in fine form yesterday, He wasn't impressed by the ride Walter Buick gave Zigato in the Ascot Stakes on Tuesday. I wonder what Messers Gray & Keys were thinking as he's cuddling the Welsh warbler in the parade ring & screeching "I'm just the right height" as he's lined up perfectly with her chest. You can can get sacked for that sort thing you know ;) What tickled me was Suzi sidling up to Big Gary & J P on the rails for a bit of banter only for Parrott to inform everyone she'd been knocking on his hotel door the night before. I loved the excuse that she was looking for her room, hows that work then? Back in a bit, Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 More than an eye on the weather with light rain already & heavier to follow. 2.30 I quite like Bannock for this. Got blocked at the wrong time & can reverse the Sandown Listed form with Pyman's Theory from his last run here. That was on good/soft in case it does tip it down. Bet. Bannock 20pts @ 8/1 Bet365 BOG. 3.45 Fame and Glory is the class act & if he stays he probably wins, however thats enough to put me off at the price never mind the twerp on his back. Can't see Duncan stealing this from the front like he did at York. I've had a small bet on Manighar who wasn't far behind Duncan in that race & the more rain the better. He can get some petrol money for Fallon who nearly had me bawling my eyes out for him during the interview with Clare Balding yesterday :eyes Bet. Manighar 10pts @ 16.5 Betfair. Using the trends that say we need under 9st, less than 6/1 sp LTO, in the first three LTO & an improver & I end up at Chain Lightning. Bet. Chain Lightning 10pts @ 16/1 Bet365 BOG. 5.00 Tazahum would be my main hope for the day. Some smart form including a Listed win at Sandown LTO over a mile, just getting up to beat the useful Fury. Goes on any ground & should be suited by the step up in trip. Bet. Tazahum 40pts @ 9/2 Bet365 BOG. In the last the Windsor maiden win by Purification is working out well. Three of those behind him have won including the second Communicator in a decent York handicap & that ones in here too off the same mark. Plenty of dangers of course but he'll do for me. Bet. Purification 20pts @ 13/2 Hills BOG. Beverley for me this evening. Sunrise Safari is in the 7.10, this is 7f 100y on a stiff track. He's run at 7f before & gone quite well without winning, I don't know. I've had a very small bet on Betfair , he's best priced 11/1 with the bookies. Bet. Sunrise Safari 5pts @ 17.0 Betfair. In looking for something to pay for the trip I have ended up with two. Escape Artist in the 7.40 who's a C&D winner off this mark last year & looks to be returning to form on his last start. The stable is going well just now. The other is Ay Tay Tate who won by 8l at Carlisle on Monday & runs here with a 6lb pen as it will probably go up a bit more in the handicap for the win. Bets. Escape Artist 10pts @ 11/2 VCBet BOG. Ay Tay Tate 20pts @ 5/2 Bet 365 BOG. I'll have the same again at the track. Rio.