Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Little Josh ran well for a long way & at least I feel I got a run for my money. What is going on with the club horses at the moment I don't know!!! That was another shocker yesterday with Bourne completely tailed off & never really traveling at any stage. He didn't seem to jump the first or the second that well & I'm wondering if he hurt himself or something. No news up yet but I might find more out tomorrow on the stable vists. W/R 10/51 Stakes 2442pts Returns 2833.75pts P/L +391.75pts I shall have a stab at the Grand National & have got it down to four which I've backed each way & covered in combination exactas & triflectas. Killyglen was still going well when he tipped up four out last year, that's his only fall & he's 5lb better off & been aimed at this all season. He's also had a breathing op & won LTO so he seems in decent nick & unless they've watered too much & we have a downpour & it goes really soft he should go well. Giles Cross jumps & stays well & won at Haydock LTO, no worries if it does tip it down because he'd go in a bog. Likely to be up near the front & can avoid trouble. Planet of Sound looked like he might be going places a year or two back but has had a few problems, however I liked his second in the Hennessy & the run in the Racing Plus was reasonable form too. He jumps well & has a touch of class & I'm thinking if Richard Johnson can hunt him round till the second Becher's then he might just be able to creep into the race from there. Weird Al is another with a bit of class & was quite well fancied for the Gold Cup but ended up pulled up with a reported broken blood vessel. If you forgive that run & it is a big if then he has some smart form with a good win FTO at Wetherby in the Charlie Hall & then a fine third to Kauto Star & Long Run at Haydock. On that form he'd run well even with the big weight & he has the right jockey in Timmy Murphy to coax him round. I don't see they'd run him if he wasn't right so I'll take the risk. Bets. Killyglen 20pts win & 10pts place @ 18/1 Bet365 BOG 5 places. Giles Cross 10pts ew @ 20/1 Boylesports BOG 5 places. Planet of Sound 10pts ew @ 33/1 BetVictor BOG 6 places. Weird Al 5pts ew @ 66/1 Coral 4 places. 12 combo exactas @ 1pt & 24 combo triflectas @ 0.5pts = 24pts. I'm hoping that we get some news about some more horses for the flat tomorrow because if not we're a bit thin on the ground at the moment, we'll see. Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing Diary No joy again yesterday with Planet of Sound doing best in the National, deep breath & carry on. W/R 10/56 Stakes 2546pts Returns 2833.75pts P/L +287.75pts No real news on the run of Bourne on Friday, the lad from Timeform said at the stable vists today that they thought that he'd just downed tools having got baulked & shuffled back a few times, I still think he was never going from the first hurdle myself but what do I know? Anyway two good vists today, I prefered the Ollie Pears one because it's much smaller & a bit more personal, he's got about 30 horses & Richard Fahey has 140ish & you can't really take it all in. Watched Arabian Spirit go up the gallops & then he had a fair few polo's before a warm down in the horse walker, Richard said he wished he hadn't run on the tacky ground in Ireland & we'll have to see where he goes from here but he did have two runs in a week & may need a short break. I'm not going to give a great list of horses but Robin O'Ryan the assistant trainer said that this years 2yo's look more like a bunch of later types for 6 & 7f's. Richard said the 3yo Sparkling Portrait is entered up this week & should run well where he turns out. On then to Ollie's & despite getting a lot more detail about the horses I'm not going to put a long list down. He's got more 2yo's this time including ours, Confidential Creek which is the Sakhee's Secret-Upstream (Prince Sabo) colt. He had a small setback but is fine now & he was brought out of his box & he's a good looking lad. We went up on the gallops & he had a canter but he's taking it steady still & it will be a couple of weeks before the works stepped up & he won't run for a while yet. He's a May foal so he's not even two yet but he's done whats been asked of him & is a quick learner & he's been in the practice stalls & was no bother. He was looking at us as he went past on the gallops, see picture below & was a bit wary of us after but while there was only about 25 of us it's still the biggest crowd he's seen. They also got Sound Amigo out & he goes to probably goes to Southwell on Tuesday with another 4yo called What's the Point & Ollie sounded quite bullish about both their chances. He also likes a 2yo filly by Byron who's not named but he thinks she might end up been called Taxi for Byron because the owners have a taxi firm. Ollie bought his wife a horse for a wedding present & thats also a 2yo & is a colt called Naughtybychoice & is by Dubai Destination out of a Linamix mare & is a grey like Linamix. He'll need easy ground & 7f so is one for later in the season. It seems we may be getting one more 2yo but no idea with who but the breeze up sales are in the next few weeks so it shouldn't be too long before we find out. It also seems that Red Merlin, Bourne & Cause of Causes will all be running on the flat at some point as well. Arabian Spirit on the gallops 38941610.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Not sure who this is 20327585.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Arabian going in the walker for a warm down dscf1662x.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us A couple of shots of Confidential Creek cc1d.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us cc2p.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Sound Amigo dscf1677mq.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Confidential Creek wondering who the bloke with the camera is cc3k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us & after the canter dscf1683sx.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary

Confidential creek, whats the plan rio, 5f-6f this year? Looks like it needs to grow a bit yet but a fine looking animal :)
At this point the pedigree says it's all about speed, so 5f I would think, at least to start with. Sakhee's Secret was best at 6f & on fast ground but he did run second in the Palace House over 5f & did have a win at Newbury when it was good to soft but it was a weak race & I can recall him flopping in the Haydock Sprint Cup when the going was supposed to be good to firm but Hughie Morison blamed the overwatered ground afterwards. The dam Upstream was a 5f horse & she also seemed to like it fast. Size wise the family are not huge & he's never going to be that big but I suppose it's all down to whats under the bonnet & until he gets to the track we won't really know what sort of engine he's got. He's qualified for the EBF bonus scheme & if you win one of those races you pick up a £10K bonus so Ollie says he's going to look for one of those because if you can win one it means he's paid for himself for the season. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary First Beverley meeting of the season today & I've decided to go but I'll need a raincoat I think, it's been raining & more is forecast. I've backed two. Sparkling Portrait runs in the 4.30 from his choice of three entries this week. His form is progressive & he didn't have his first run as a 2yo till the end of October on ground with a bit of juice at Musselburgh where he was a fair third. Third again at Wolverhampton & then he won his maiden at Southwell by 12l, ok it was a nothing race but he's clearly going the right way & will handle todays ground & the trip should suit for this first go in a handicap. I took a price last night & he's been backed this morning but the other one I've backed I didn't take the 3/1 last night & I've missed the boat with that a bit. That ones Good Morning Star in the last which looks another improver having run well on the aw lately, step up in trip should suit & she has form with cut. Bets. Sparkling Portrait 50pts @ 4/1 BetVictor BOG. Good Morning Star 60pts @ 9/4 Ladbrokes BOG. I'd want 7/2 & 2/1 to play again on track. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well thats the the losing streak snapped but even then things didn't go exactly to plan. I set off for Beverley but hadn't gone very far when I began to have second thoughts, the rain had been coming down steadily all morning but now seemed to be getting heavier & I was trying to remember what the cover was like at the track because the last few times I've been I've had an owners badge but there was no chance of sheltering in the O&T bar. Remembering what it had been like at Catterick last week I decided to duck out & turned round & went home, so no top ups but Sparkling Portrait won for me & then Good Morning Star was a bit disappointing. I can't seem to get it right with Mark Johnston, he has sheds full of winners but I just don't seem to get on them. Anyway 110pts staked returns 250pts. W/R 11/58 Stakes 2656pts Returns 3083.75pts P/L +427.75pts I've had a look at Ripon today but again it's chucking it down & the card doesn't inspire me much, the temptation when you have a season ticket is to go anyway but there's plenty more days to go at. There are 12 in the Scottish Champion Hurdle at this point including Red Merlin & I'm hoping they don't get too much rain. I've asked for a badge & the plan is to go but it's a bit of a juggling act because the hotels are all busy & I've got my eye on one but I need to get the timing right for booking, I think if he is declared then I will go anyway. Newmarket 3.35 Genki's done me a good turn or two in the past & runs in this Listed race which he won FTO last season. He ran in some top races after & in general ran well apart from the last two where he looked a bit jaded. He's won at Group 3 level & he goes fresh & on most ground & the race looks no stronger than last year. Sirius Prospect looked progressive last season but ran flat FTO at Donny & met trouble too, he should improve but he has to give Genki 4lb. The rest look to have a bit to find & Genki is worth a bet. Bet. Genki 60pts @ 11/4 Paddy Power BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Not a good run from Genki yesterday, he was held up as normal but found nothing when asked for an effort coming out of the dip. I used to do quite well in the Listed/Group sprints but now they seem to be as hard to fathom as the sprint handicaps & I think it might be time to give these the swerve for a while. W/R 11/59 Stakes 2716pts Returns 3083.75pts P/L +367.75pts I have a badge for Ayr tomorrow & it looks a cracking card. I was thinking of going up this evening but I didn't find out till quite late this afternoon so it's an early start in the morning but at least I've managed to book an hotel for tomorrow night at a decent price. I've had a few bets tonight as the markets seem to have formed pretty well & there's plenty of bookies with prices because it is Ayr's big jump meeting. 1.40 Grandioso was the one that fell when going well at Hereford the other week in the race where I had DJ Milan. He was looking quite strong at the time but he'd not seen out his races in his previous hurdle starts & there's nothing to say he wouldn't have weakened out of it had he stood up. He's favourite here because of the trainer & jockey for me & I'm going to take him on with Pinerolo who looks a most progressive sort having won a Carlisle handicap two runs back & then probably put up a better run when beaten a neck at Haydock in a fixed brush race. Bet. Pinerolo 40pts @ 9/2 BetVictor BOG. 2.50 This is our race & you'd have to think that Edgardo Sol would take a bit of beating having followed a close second in the County Hurdle at the festival with a with a 14l win in a valuable handicap chase at Aintree just 9 days ago. Back over hurdles only a pound higher than his rating for that good win if he runs near that he'd take some beating. Charm School is not out of this with bottom weight either but Red Merlin only went up 5lb for the win at Newcastle where he ought to have won by three or four lengths really, the reports say he idled in front & maybe he did but Jason nearly cocked up trying not to win too far & he has blinkers on tomorrow (the horse not Maguire!) presumably to keep his mind on the job. He used to run in a visor on the flat & has worn blinkers once as well when a close third at Newbury but this will be the first time he's had them on when hurdling & I think he will have come on for that run & can run a big race. Bet. Red Merlin 35pts @ 11/2 BetVictor BOG. 3.25 Merigo won this two years ago off 127 & returned to form with a close second off 130 last year so he clearly likes the track having won here over 3m 1f LTO, he must run well but he's an 11yo & there must be something in the race thats an up & coming sort. I like the run of Harry the Viking in the 4m National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham where he was second & thats the route last years winner of this took & he seems to have taken well to fences & he'll do for me. Bet. Harry the Viking 30pts @ 7/1 Hills BOG. 4.00 There's a few of these going back over hurdles having not clicked chasing but one that hasn't is Arctic Court who's the one Red Merlin ended up in the battle with at Newcastle. The suprise was that Arctic Court was dropping back to 2m that day having raced pretty much over 3m up to then, he's back up to almost 2m 6f here & goes well on the course having won here twice & been placed here as well, he's a fair price to take this. Bet. Arctic Court 30pts @ 6/1 Hills BOG. 4.35 Doeslessthanme is on a hatrick but only won a short head at Newton Abbot LTO & is up another 7lb here. Oh Crick was another 6l back ther & on the revised terms there shouldn't be much between them. Quicuyo's won here in the past & at Donny which is similar but might just have been nailed by the handicapper. I backed Anquetta at Doncaster two runs back & he put in a shocker having won FTO this season at Ascot & looking like a progressive sort. He'd won at Sandown before & I was thinking maybe he needed to go right handed but LTO he ran a blinder in the Grand Annual off the same mark as he runs off here & if he can repeat that he'd win this, I'll give him one more chance to do so. Bet. Anquetta 40pts @ 5/1 Bet365 BOG. That I would think would be that, I'll play again on course if I can get on at half a point less than prices taken or better. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well that turned out to be a rather expensive weekend, much more of that & I'm going to have to go back to work!! Red Merlin ran alright, he was bang there at two out but they missed the last hurdle out because it was damaged & Raya Star soon had the race won, it looked like he might get in the places but got caught close home & was fourth in the end. Jason said after that they went a good gallop & he got tired close home, he wanted to hang on to him a bit longer but with the last been missed out they went for home a bit sooner than usual. Afterwards Donald said they'd probably go to the Swinton at Haydock next. What to say about the rest? I got top ups on everything bar Pinerolo who's SP was 4/1 but I never saw better than 7/2, the main ring was busy though, too busy for me & the bookies near the parade ring are always shorter. Pinerolo folded quickly, Harry the Viking ran like Fergie's defence played yesterday & Arctic Court was well backed but also dropped away, Anquetta made quite a bit of the running but also faded quickly. The way they were strung out & pulling up you'd have thought the ground was heavy but a couple of the members had been there the day before & the track had missed all the rain. 315pts staked in total & not a sniff of a return. W/R 11/64 Stakes 3031pts Returns 3083.75pts P/L +52.75pts At least the hotel was nice & the food was spot on. Expense running total £800 Arabian Spirit had been entered at Newcastle on Tuesday but the track is waterlogged & the meeting has been switched to Southwell in the evening & he has been declared in the first race which is an apprentice claimer worth the princely sum of £1704 to the winner. This is a right drop in class & I'm almost wondering if they're wanting him to be claimed from it. Laura Barry who can claim 3lb rides & she was the one who was on him in the picture of him galloping from the other Sunday. I've put my name down because it's not a long journey & quite easy to get to so I'll have a look at the card later. Red Merlin in the ring. dscf1688an.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Jumping the fence in front of the stands in the Scottisn National dscf1692a.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Southwell this evening where Arabian Spirit drops into a claimer & not just any old claimer it is a poor race & as I said yesterday a right drop in class. Reading the Timeform thoughts the chap hardly fills you with confidence either, he's fearing that he won't like the kickback & might down tools. It seems Mr Fahey is also not sure he'll take to the surface as well, he did run here once in 08 but did too much too early in the race. They're thinking if he does spit the dummy out then the handicapper might drop him in the weights a bit quicker. I can see that, the handicapper is obviously thick as two short planks & won't just write a bad run off because of the surface will he? The thing is there are plenty of members who complain that we don't get enough info from a betting angle, as I've said before I'm not in it for that but I can see a situation where they will be moaning about this again, he ought to win this if he ran owt like because he has far more ability than the rest of them & if he does then the knives will be out big style. I've backed him to half the usual stakes & will cross everything :hope Bet. Arabian Spirit 10pts @ 6.2 Betfair & 10pts @ 9/2 BetVictor BOG. 6.00 Looking for something else I like Bring Sweets for this. He's won over C&D & is fit from hurdling. LTO he ran over a mile here which is far too short & he was staying on too late for fourth. Kingaroo is now a non runner & Ostentation looks less than straightforward & is tried in blinkers here, the rest don't look up to much at all. Bet. Bring Sweets 60pts @ 5/2 BetVictor BOG. 6.30 Mappin Time should run well but if Jeannie Galloway takes to the surface she can win this, two runs should have her spot on now & the jockey takes off a useful 5lb. Bet. Jeannie Galloway 40pts @ 9/2 BetVictor BOG. I'll back the last two again at similar prices if I can, Arabian I'll keep an open mind on & see what's said at the track. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well another bad day at the office, it really is not going well at the moment & the weather is helping either, meetings off all over & as I write Beverley are inspecting for a second time. I do hope those nice days in March weren't the Summer this year. It was quite nice at Southwell. Arabian looked well & with two non runners I decided to back him again at 7/2. Laura was pushing away round the bottom bend & he did respond a bit & finished second but he was 8l behind the winner who was a 10yo & as stated it's hard to see him winning at the moment. Watching Bring Sweets he seemed to be cruising as they turned in but then didn't find a lot & was all over the track in the last two furlongs, I think the jockey was a bit over confident & I'd have liked to see him asking for an effort a bit earlier but the horse probably wasn't good enough anyway. Jeannie Galloway broke well & led till about halfway & then fell in a heap. The one bright spot was the pie I had for tea in the cafe, very tasty. With the top ups the stakes were 250pts & no return again. The Yorkshire meetings now come thick and fast, if they surrive the downpours & I will be looking to get out & about a bit more. There's Donny tomorrow & on Saturday evening & Ripon also on Saturday but the ground might favour the jumpers more at Wetherby on Sunday, we shall see. W/R 11/67 Stakes 3281pts Returns 3083.75pts P/L -197.25pts Expense running total £830 At least they look good dscf1695k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm due a change of luck I hope. Don't get too wet at Sandown tomorrow & speaking of which I am somewhat suprised to see Bourne is declared in the 2.00. I knew he was entered but it didn't look like he was going to run having not sparkled in his work since the Aintree flop, however he is reported to have perked up over the last couple of days & because there are not many suitable races over hurdles for him at this time of the year he is going to run. The cynic in me is thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that it's on C4 because to me he could have done with a break after running at Cheltenham & Aintree not to mention that he's not supposed to want it too soft either. Anyway at the moment he's best priced at 14/1 but not with the BOG bookies & I'll hang on a bit I think, I'll have a bet on him because I didn't think he'd win at Ascot & he did. I did think I might go to Ripon or Donny tomorrow but there's an inspection at Ripon so it must be bad, I watched a race or two at Donny today & they seemed to be going through it ok & I might have a look at the card later, we'll see. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Ripon has survived the morning inspection & now Wetherby have one soon to see about tomorrow, in my current form I think I'll sit it out & wait till we get a bit of decent weather (March next year perhaps) Bourne is still best priced at 14/1 & I've had a bit ew at that price just in case & that will be my only bet today. Bet. Bourne 10pts ew @ 14/1 Paddy Power BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've been waiting to see what was said about Bourne's run at Sandown & it seems they're quite pleased with the way he plugged on to finish sixth having not really travelled in the race & he looked to be struggling three out. The speculation is that he might need a break to freshen him up for next season which would rather scupper the plan that he would run on the flat at some point, anyway they will see what Donald thinks later in the week. Unpartou is entered at Hereford this week but I wouldn't be looking at going with him showing nothing so far, although the stable is back in form again which it wasn't when he ran before, there's also the chance that it could be off as the rain is wreaking havoc at the moment. Arabian Spirit is entered on Friday at Musselburgh with our intrepid Timeform scribe telling us he's unlikely to run as he would be off his old BHB mark of 83 & the new mark, which we don't yet know but they think will be much lower kicks in the following day. All of which begs the question why enter him there in the first place? I shall be interested to see the new mark which I suspect will be 2/3lb lower & not something ridiculous like 6/7lb. W/R 11/678 Stakes 3301pts Returns 3083.75pts P/L -217.25pts Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Arabian Spirit as been entered in a handicap at Beverley on Monday off his new mark of 80 which is a drop as I expected of 3lb. The handicapper doesn't drop them in big chunks the way they put them up, the whole psyche of handicapping has changed these days, it's very hard to run up a sequence the way they used to & you'll see something banged up a stone or more sometimes for winning a nothing event & you know the handicapper is thinking "Your not making me look daft" Yes you get the odd exception, Hunt Ball for instance but I get the feeling that that one will now find it hard to win because there are not that many conditions events over jumps & now he's weighted up to the limit in handicaps & it will take an age for his rating to drop. Anyway Arabian ought to have his ground on Monday & I shall probably go if he runs as it's not too far & I know a nice pub where I can grab some lunch on the way. Cause of Causes is in a maiden hurdle at Kilbeggan on Friday & also in a handicap over just short of 1m 3f at Dundalk on the same day. No info on whether he's an intended runner in either & I wouldn't be going anyway but the Timeform thought is the hurdle race looks easier & the ground is supposed to be yielding at Kilbeggan, anyway we'll see. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary The first at Kilbeggan this evening is the chosen option for Cause of Causes. It's a 2m 3f 4yo maiden hurdle & Davy Condon rides & not Carberry who is on Westhaven for Noel Meade. That one ran a fair race on the flat at the Curragh 12 days ago but was beaten a long way on it's one run over hurdles at Leopardstown in January & it's hard to get a handle on it. White Feathers was just behind us at Downpatrick when Carberry messed up & we're on the same terms here so we ought to hold her again even though she has run a good second since. Dream Achieved won a Kempton maiden over 8f for Barry Hills a year ago but then was last in the Britannia & tailed off at Haydock when last seen in August, first run for a new yard & over hurdles so who knows? The rest don't look much on what they've done so far. He's a best price of 4/6 at the moment & if he stays out of bother he should win but I'm not playing at those odds & will be watching only, although if we get beat by Carberry the air will be blue!! It looks like Arabian Spirit is Beverley bound on Monday & as it's quite close I've asked for a badge. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Well he won but I thought he was going to get caught on the line by White Feathers & there was just a head in it at the end. It was quite a good effort really because we were giving her 17lb including the lads claim & she has improved since the Downpatrick race, I'll be interested to see where he goes next because there is the option to go to the flat & wait till later for the jumps. The 2yo filly by Byron that I saw at ollie Pears the other week runs in the first at Thirsk today, she has been named Taxiformissbyron & Paul Mulrennan rides. The stable had there first 2yo runner at Ripon last week with another filly Throwing Roses & she was caught on the line at 25/1. Ollie thinks he has a nice bunch of 2yo's this time & he usually does well with them & they can pop up at some tasty prices so I'm going to keep an eye out for them this year. Mayfield Girl was third in the Brocklesby but then could only manage a 7l fifth at Beverley on ground similar to today. The only other one to run is Mount Seymour who was well beaten also at Beverley. Tim Easterby has two in & David O'Meara & Tom Dascombe one each but there are a dead eight runners & I've had a bit win & place on Betfair. Bet. Taxiformissbyron 10pts win @ 18.5 & 10pts place @4.4 Betfair. 2000 Guineas I'm looking for one thats got soft ground form & I think the near side (high) might have an advantage so I'm with French Fifteen who is in stall 16 of the 18, is a distance winner & has shown he's trained on having won the Prix Djebel 16 days ago beating Abtaal a neck. The scores one each between these two & there won't be much in it today but Abtaal is in stall 2 & as I say I think the near rail is the place to be today. Bet French Fifteen 20pts ew @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Taxiformissbyron was a disappointment, especially as she just about halved in price, oh well. Anyway at least I've snapped the losing run, just for a few strides I thought French Fifteen was going to win but Camelot won a shade cleverly for me, still a small profit on the day. 60pts staked & 80pts back. W/R 12/70 Stakes 3361pts Returns 3163.75pts P/L -197.25pts Arabian Spirit runs in the 4.00 at Beverley today, I asked for a badge but have missed out on this occasion, I can't complain I've had plenty of goes. I'm going to go anyway, I can get in with my Going Racing in Yorkshire pass & I'm getting a bit stir crazy & need to get back on the track & I fancy some lunch in the pub I know on the way. Can he win? Well he could if he ran to the form he was showing around this time last year when he got caught on the line at Newmarket in a better race than this off 6lb higher than he has today & then he ran well more than once after off marks in the high eighties. He's not shown much so far in three runs this season though & the second LTO was in a poor claimer, I can't see an improver in there but Moheebb should go well & Toto Skyllachy is a C&D winner & will go on the ground. At this point I'll leave him alone, he was around 10/1 but The Osteopath is a non runner. One I do fancy is Party Line in the 4.30. She was just beat a head on her seasonal return at Leicester over this trip on soft ground, Her best run in three goes last year was also with cut so she handles the conditions & given a bit of improvement from that first run she can manage the 3lb rise. Bet. Party Line 60pts @ 11/4 Bet365 BOG. I'll play again at 5/2 minimum on track. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Another poor run from Arabian Spirit & he looks a spent force, if he ever was one, anyway we'll see whats said later. The good news is having snapped the losing run Party Line did the business in the race after although she had me worried. 2f out she passed the front running Minnie Diva who then came back at her, at the half furlong post she went a good half length up but then right on the line she seemed to tie up & I thought the other had got back up at first, especially when the big screen showed the cameras were following Minnie Diva. She had though held on by a short head, much to my relief. Managed the top up at 5/2 so 120pts staked returns 435pts. W/R 13/71 Stakes 3481pts Returns 3598.75pts P/L +117.75pts There's a Catterick evening meeting tomorrow but I've only had a brief look so far, it is lagging it down in West Yorkshire & having just watched the Blackburn/Wigan game it looks like it's right across the North so I'll have another look tomorrow. Arabian looking a bit fed up dscf1703p.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I've had a good look at the Catterick card this evening & the ground is reported on the soft side but not too bad. There's a couple I fancy & some interesting runners in the other races on the card so I've decided to go. The 2yo of Ollie Pears that just got caught at Ripon is in the first, the others that have run don't look up to her level & the likely dangers are from the three unraced & Gay Kelleway won this race last year, just a race to watch for me. 6.40 Eijaaz is a course & claimer specialist but usually needs a run & is getting on a bit. Flying Applause has done all his winning over much shorter than this & Hidden Glory might be stretched over this far as well. One who won't be is Dontpaytheferryman, all his flat wins have been on the aw at Southwell but he hasn't had that many runs on turf on the flat & he goes on turf having won plenty over hurdles including three this winter. He goes on the ground, will stay & the trainer does well here & with claimers. Bet. Dontpaytheferryman 70pts @ 2/1 Bet365 BOG. 7.40 Pocket Too's last flat win was four years ago but he won twice over hurdles last month, they were at 3m+ though & he could find this a bit short on a sharp track even on the soft ground. Hi Dancer's another who hasn't won on the level for a long while but has been in good form over hurdles. Was a good second here LTO at 2f shorter on similar ground & should run well from near the pace. This might set it up though for Ministerofinterior who stays well & won over this sort of trip & ground LTO at Bath, up 8lb for that but looks open to further progress on the flat & is worth a bet. Bet. Ministerofinterior 50pts @ 4/1 BetVictor BOG. On this occasion I'd want at least those odds to play again on track. I'll probably stay & watch the maiden that follows but the 5f handicap at the end looks trappy & I'll bail out before then. Didn't update the expenses from yesterday. Expense running total £860 Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary That turned out quite well again, it was a decent evening weather wise but it did get a bit chilly later on. There was a load in the parade ring with Ollie's filly Throwing Roses & it seems she's owned by a racing club too, I've just been looking at their website & it looks quite good & I'll bear it in mind should I fancy a change. They will have been a little disappointed I suspect to be second again but this time she was beaten 7l (see first pic) by one of Tim Easterby's who had showed nothing at Beverley FTO & was 25/1 here & nearly 40's on the Tote. Dontpaytheferryman was always being pushed & shoved & stayed on for third but never looked like winning really. Flying Applause who I thought wouldn't stay did but only just having looked to have it won & then faltering close home & the old stager Eijaaz almost nicked it off him & there was only a nose in it at the death. Ministerofinterior was always handy & moved into the lead about two furlongs out, Pocket Too went after him but he was always holding him & I reckon Graham Lee had a bit more up his sleeve if needed. He's made a good start to his new career on the flat & might be worth watching for a while, he's strong in a finish & has bags of experience. I stayed for the 3yo maiden which was won by the ex Aiden O'Brien gelding Prophesy who's now with Declan Carroll over here & he won by 3l hardly breaking sweat. I wouldn't be in a rush to back anything else from the race & it's hard to get a handle on how good the winner might be. Dontpaytheferryman was available at 5/2 & Ministerofinterior at 5/1 so top ups at 60pts & 40pts were taken. Ministerofinterior's SP was 9/2 so an extra half point on the BOG with Victor as well. 220pts staked & 515pts returned. W/R 14/73 Stakes 3701pts Returns 4113.75pts P/L +412.75pts Expense running total £890 There's a Ripon evening meeting on Friday & I'll look at that later today, I like the two day decs on the flat it gives you more scope to plan ahead. Red Merlin has been entered in the Swinton Hurdle on the Haydock mixed card on Saturday, I have applied for a badge but may go anyway depending on the card there & at the Thirsk evening meeting which would be my alternative venue. Throwing Roses in second dscf1710n.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Dontpaytheferryman dscf1712k.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ministerofinterior coming back in dscf1719x.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary I have a badge for Haydock tomorrow where Red Merlin goes in the 3.40. Our intrepid Timeform chappie sounds non too confident which doesn't put me off any, in fact I'd be more worried if he was. Can't blame him though a 20 runner handicap hurdle is hardly a shoo-in but the likely strong pace should suit & the idea is to keep him covered up & come a lot later than Ayr. The major doubt seems to be the ground but he has won on soft/heavy on the flat & unless it's sticky like it was at Sandown for the Tolworth in January last year then he ought to handle it & I think the 135 he's off is a fair mark. The stable is in form having had a good Chester & he's worth an each way. Red Merlin 15pts ew @ 9/1 BetVictor BOG. I've not gone into the card in great depth but at first impressions I'm struggling to find a race I'd go into in detail, I'll have another look later & in the morning. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary After further study last night & an early rise this morning I have to say I'm struggling to find something to back today, not only at Haydock but elsewhere with the underfoot conditions & the shape of the races. Still nobody has my arm up my back forcing me to bet & the card at Haydock is interesting enough from a watching point of view. In the first I'd be looking for something under 11st that can go on soft. The Tracey Shuffle ran alright on heavy in Ireland LTO but he's never been further than 2m 4f & I'm not sure 3m will suit. Le Beau Bai will like conditions but is better over fences & this looks an afterthought having been tailed off in the Bet365 at Sandown two weeks ago. The Druids Nephew looks progressive & the 18l sixth in the Albert Bartlett LTO reads well but I'm not sure if thats a bit flattering. Arctic Court let me down at Ayr three weeks ago after his nose second to Red Merlin at Newcastle before, he was second in ths last year but is 7lb higher & better on a sound surface. I keep coming back to Victors Serenade who gets the trip, goes on the ground & looks progressive having won his last two but that was over fences & I'm not sure he's as good over hurdles. He's a bit short at a best of 8/1 but if I can get 10/1 on the track I'd have a bit ew. The 3.05 is an interesting contest with two former Haydock Sprint Cup winnners & an Ayr Gold Cup winner, no bet but should be a good watch. The 7f Listed race at 4.15 is similar. Beacon Lodge won this for Clive Cox last year but was beaten a long way in Ireland on his first run for Dandy Nicholls. Firebeam looks progressive & goes on the ground but this is a jump up in class where as Red Jazz has been running at a much higher level & also goes on the conditions. Again another race to watch. The 4.50 a handicap for 3yo's could contain some good pointers for the future. The current favourite & top weight is Assizes who won well on his only start at Newbury last backend but that was on good to firm & who knows if he'll handle the ground here? Another watching brief & I'll bail out before the last. Red Merlin is as low as 6/1 & only two bookies go 7's, I did note that about 9.30 Oddschecker had Betfred going 10/1 but having looked at the history that's not showing & could have been a mistake, I think I'll just sit with the bet I've got. The disappointing Indian Daudie runs in the first at Uttoxeter tomorrow, I didn't ask for a badge & will look at the race in depth later. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary A very special day yesterday & I have the thick head this morning to prove it. It was actually quite pleasant at Haydock yesterday if you got sheltered from the stiff breeze. The one I might have backed in the first Victors Serenade was a non runner when I got there so no bet. I watched the race with a couple of other members & we decided that the ground looked fine. The first two home in the 2yo race up next both look useful & there was 6l back to the third, Richard Hughes eased off the runner up Annunciation close home when he was held & that one would look a penalty kick in a maiden but would be a short price probably. It will be interesting to see where the winnner Euxton Hall goes next. Our Jonathan won the sprint, one of our party thought he looked like he might need the run & I could see what he meant so he could improve again for that & be worth a look on his next start. Now it was our turn. The haydock parade ring is one of the nicest there is when the sun is out & shining through the trees. The plan as stated before was settle in the midfield & challenge as late as possible & off they went. He was a bit keen at the off but Jason soon got him covered up in the midfield. As the came round into the straight he was going well & Jason gave him a little tug back before three out as it looked like he might go too soon. Over two out & he began to move up & was a close fourth taking the last, as they hit the furlong post he went through a gap between horses & driven out he cleared away to win by 2.5l to much shouting & cheering from not only us but the big crowd. Back in to the winners for pictures & the trophy presentation & then off for a glass of shampoo, very nice. Not sure where he will go next but there was a chap there from Timeform who said he wouldn't mind a trip to Galway! I suspect that he might have a little break & then run on the flat, he doesn't like the dead ground in Winter so why not? Back down to earth & out to watch Red Jazz win the next. I stayed for the 3yo mile handicap that followed, Assizes was the morning favourite but was on the slide & I could see 4's on the rails bookies. I was tempted for a moment but didn't bet & that was as near as I came all day, in fact I never went in the main ring all day. Assizes was always at the back & struggling & probably needs fast ground. No traffic problems on the way home to end a perfect day. The 15pts ew from the night before returned 198.75pts. W/R 15/74 Stakes 3731pts Returns 4312.5pts P/L +581.5pts Expense running total £915 Having risen with a sore head this morning I see that Indian Daudaie is a non runner at Uttoxeter, I don't know why yet. Looking good dscf1720ep.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Ready to go dscf1722gn.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Coming back in dscf1725lv.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Cause of Causes looks like he may run at Perth on Thursday & I have yet to vist there, however it looks a trek & the plan to vist all the UK tracks is on the backburner at the moment. Red Merlin it seems is to be aimed at an extended 10f handicap at Chester early next month & then all been well he will try to win the Old Newton Cup at Haydock again at the begining of July. Then from there the plan is the Galway Hurdle at the start of August, much can happen between now & any of these targets & not only to Red Merlin but me as well. Back to the present & the Dante meeting starts tomorrow. At the moment I am looking at going all three days & have just sorted out some bets for tomorrow. 2.00 I'm thinking the ground is still going to be on the soft side & the middle to near side is the place to be. York Glory looks progressive but is more towards the far rail, Shropshire is in 12 in the middle & ran a blinder to get nabbed close home in a big field handicap at Newmarket LTO & must go well. Next to him though in 11 is Dickie's Lad who also looks an improver & was well fancied at Chester last week but got hampered at the start & then again early in the race, this is my chance the test the Graham Lee might be worth keeping an eye on theory & he's worth a punt. 3.00 One of the best handicap performances I've seen was Hoof It's win under 10st in the Stewards Cup last year. The 5f here in the Nunthorpe was a bit sharp after & he was a good third in the Haydock Sprint Cup on his last start beaten only a neck by the July Cup winner Dream Ahead. Mayson is in top form & goes with cut & must go well, the rest look like Listed class trying to pinch a Group 2 & with Black Caviar lying in wait in the Golden Jubilee Squire Mick must have him ready to go & win a big race tomorrow. He will handle the ground, he won FTO last year & this is his best trip. 3.35 A few oldstagers & some younger progressive types one of which is Mica Mika who ran well without winning early last year for stepping up to this sort of trip & ended up running in the King George V handicap at Royal Ascot off 85. Slipped down the weights a bit after & had two hurdle runs winning the second of those at Xmas at Wetherby before returning to the flat last week at Chester & dotting up off 77. Runs with a 6lb pen here but Shane B Kelly takes off 5lb of that taking over from Hanagan & missed an easier looking race at Haydock on Saturday to wait for this. Bets. Dickie's Lad 15pts @ 14/1 Ladbrokes BOG. Hoof It 50pts @ 7/2 Hills BOG. Mica Mika 30pts @ 13/2 Paddy Power BOG. Back in the morning with a few final thoughts. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Having just settled down for another look at York today I've just noted that Ladbrokes are out to 4/1 on Hoof It when no one else is better than 3's, not even Betfair. I don't expect it to be this price on track, unless Laddies know something I don't so I've gone in again which means that I don't have to play on track now. Bet. Hoof It 50pts @ 4/1 Ladbrokes BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing Diary Ok all done, I'm happy with the selections & nothing to add. I shall back Dickie's Lad again on track at 12/1 or better but I'll keep an eye on the Tote because sometimes the price can be a bit better if you leave it till near the off to make sure it's not a false price. No sooner had I backed Hoof It again than the price has shortened up although Definightly is a non runner now at around the 10/1 mark. No more on Hoof It on track now. Mica Mika has shortened up too, I would have played last night at 6/1 but managed half a point more so the on track price should be 11/2 but I am quite keen on this one so I'll see how it goes. Time to get ready, Rio.