Tennis: 10th - 16th January

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Back after a few days off the betting court. Quite a trappy card tonight. I was tempted by Gruel and Benneteau but the prices are quite short on both and they have something to prove, especially Gruel, who lost to Jan Hajek in Chennai. Carsten Ball is also appealing against Mardy Fish but something is telling me to avoid it. Good luck to all involved :ok

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January

Sport Tennis
Event Michael Lammer v Dan Evans
Selection Michael Lammer
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.70 (Back)
Reasoning I think I said it on here before, but if not then I'll say now I don't like Dan Evans. His game is average, mentally he is weak and under pressure he's awful. He's the new Alex Bogdanovic (without the talent). Both these guys have come through qualifying, I watched Lammer yesterday and he was pretty decent. He's a very solid player who has much more experience in ATP level events and he should be the winner here.
Sport Tennis
Event Albert Montanes v James Lemke
Selection Albert Montanes -1.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Expekt @ 1.75 (Back)
Reasoning Don't know much about Lemke, but can't see him having any success here. He came through qualifying but really struggled with a couple of very poor Spaniards. It's his first time in an ATP main draw and he's never played anybody in the calibre of Montanes. Montanes lost to Gulbis last week, but he played pretty well it was just Gulbis was really good. He's poor on hard courts but against a guy like this I can't see him losing a set.
Sport Tennis
Event John Isner v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Selection John Isner
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.69 (Back)
Reasoning Quite like big John in this one. He played OK last week losses to Hewitt and very tight against Robredo who ended up winning the tournament. Isner played well in Auckland last year coming through qualifying and a couple of rounds in the main draw. These courts should be pretty decent for him and he should start with a win. Garcia Lopez put in a poor effort last week against Darcis. He's a confidence player and while he's playing bad he plays really bad. In this match up he won't be able to get int a rythem and Isner should cause him lots of problems.
Sport Tennis
Event Florian Mayer v Sebastien Grosjean
Selection Florian Mayer
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 1.61 (Back)
Reasoning This looks a good chance against Grosjean. Mayer did well winning a challenger last week and should come here with some confidence. He's reached the quarters here the 2 times he has played. With Grosjean it's all about fitness. He played the French tournaments at the end of last year and did OK without winning a match. It's hard to know how good he will be here but I think Mayer should be a bigger favourite given the concerns you have to have over Grosjean.

Sport Tennis
Event Juan Ignacio Chela v Benjamin Becker
Selection Juan Ignacio Chela
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.00 (Back)
Reasoning Courts here are really slow, and should definately favour Chela. I was surprised he took a set off Belucci and Belucci showed later in the tournament he was playing well so that was a decent result. He won 3 matches in qualifying here against decent opposition so looks in good shape for this tournament. Becker was a set and a break up against Karlovic in Doha last week, but then completely fell apart. Not sure what happened but at the time I thought it might be an injury. A few things I think are in Chelas favour and he should be favourite.
Sport Tennis
Event Mardy Fish v Carsten Ball
Selection Carsten Ball
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning The money is coming for Ball and I'll follow it. Will also take less than top price as I think there's a decent chance of a Fish retirement. Fish had his first match back against Baghdatis last week, he looked OK but then Baggy was destroyed in the next round so maybe that match wasn't so good. Also Fish/Knowles retired in the doubles yesterday and I can't find out why. Ball played good last week beating Zverev and pushing Roddick quite hard. Apparently his monster serve was workign well and he's playing good. Playing at home should be putting in a good performance and has a great chance here.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Knowles retired due to a calf injury. anyways Ball price looks nice + Greul (Lorenzi is so poor and i don't think he can handle Greul on a hard surface) + Dudi Sela, who had a very nice tournament in India and meets Benneteau who plays his first match in 2010.

Sport Tennis
Event Dinara Safina v Agnieszka Radwanska
Selection Agnieszka Radwanska
Strength 10/10
Date 12/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning This is another one to take at a one ball bookie. Safina finished last year with a pretty bad back problem that she had been suffering with for a while. The word is that she is still struggling this week. Radwanska is a good player and will be looking to make her move this year. She's a clever player and having already had a match this week should be a big plus. It's really hard to say how Safina will come out but as a favourite against a top 10 player she's opposable.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Looking to maybe have a play in the Troicki - Serra match. Tough one with Serra winning a match at Brisbane last week and then pushing Monfils close in his following game. Edging towards Troicki who got 3 solid wins under his belt in Doha before losing to Nadal. Anyone with any thoughts?

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Worry would be Troicki coming from Doha after a semi on Saturday. And didn't he seem to have a niggle during that match? I can't remember wasn't really paying attention. Apart from that he was playing good last week. I didn't see any of Serra.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January On 2nd thoughts may leave that match. Troicki did well in Doha so may not have had enough time to recover from that and his flight over. Whereas, Serra will be refreshed and i believe he can take a few positives from his performance vs Monfils.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Sport Tennis Event F Mayer vs S Grosjean Selection F Mayer Strength 10/10 Date 12/01/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.50 (Back) Reasoning F Mayer comes here after he won the tournament from Houmea,when he won the final with Cippola,score 6:3,6:0.S Grosjean play last match last year,on 8 November,when he lost with Ivan Lijubicic,score 6:7,4:6.Taking into account Mayer played already some matches in this year and Grosjean is now a modest player,being only on 677th place in ATP ranking,I bet on F Mayer.Good Luck ! :dude

Sydney - Peter Luczak vs Jose Acasuso: Luczak at 1.92 Both of these players are far more confident on a clay court but Luczak gets marginal preference as he's playing on home turf in Sydney and Acasuso's recent record is pretty poor. The Argentine's form has suffered with injuries and he's playing his first match of the season - Luczak played in Brisbane and was admirable in defeat to Andy Roddick. Acasuso leads the H2Hs 2-0 but he prefers a much slower surface - I think conditions favour Luczak and he's my choice to progress here. Bet strength: 2pts Sydney - Juan Ignacio Chela vs Benjamin Becker: Becker at 1.80 Chela's best days are behind him. He prefers a clay court and although he stole a set off Thomaz Bellucci last week, his serve is easily picked on and the court is too quick for him. Becker isn't the most talented player on tour but he's got a consistent serve and gave Ivo Karlovic a fright last week in Doha. I think he's more comfortable on hard court than Chela is, so he gets my vote here. Bet strength: 2pts Sydney - Horacio Zeballos vs Juan Monaco: Zeballos at 2.50 A bit of shot-to-nothing here. Zeballos isn't a household name on tour. He's a talented lefty, however, who performed really well in St Petersburg last year. He takes on Monaco, who is the superior player...on clay. The Argentine does struggle with the pace of a hard court and Zeballos' powerful game could be too much for his compatriot. The price is too irresistable to miss out on, but small stakes for a skillful player still to prove himself at the top tour level. Bet strength: 1pt
Luczak wins 7-6 6-4 :cow Fairly straightforward for the big Aussie. Bit of a gift from the bookies. Becker wins 6-3 6-3 :cow Chela still struggling, Becker's solid enough to take advantage Zeballos loses 6-3 6-0 :sad I'm glad I only put a point on it. Dismal stuff, he was appalling. Monaco looked pretty handy on the plexicushion though...

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Hello everyone, great thread! will start with a few for tonights games. KOROLEV V FISH - 7pts on KOROLEV @ 2.16 Great value here IMO. How can Fish be favourite here, I fail to understand. Fish was beaten by Baghdatis in straight sets and struggled to beat to Ball last night. Whereas Korolev has already beaten big serving Querrey (showing a lot of bottle to clinch the game in the end) and can do it again tonight. He has won 2 out of 3 this year losing to Federer in Qatar. Korolev great value for me TROICKI V BAGHDATIS - 6pts on TROICKI @ 2.18 Another one where I see value. Baghdatis was smashed last week by Berdych and I cannot see this being more than a 50-50. Troicki has made a great start to the year and should be full of confidence, winning 4 out of his last 5 games only losing to the reborn rafa nadal. Should be close but going with the Serb in this one. DOKIC V PEER - 9pts on PEER @ 1.7 Nothing against Dokic here but I think Peer has too much power for Dokic. Dokic will have great support but Peer has shown last week that she is unfazed by that. Peer has made a great start to the year and will hope to build on her recent form. she has lost 1 out of her last 5 and that to Wickmayer (eventual winner of the ASB). Peer for me here IMO. :hope

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January :welcome ShanAce Like the look of Korolev too. He's a level above Ball who's had great opportunity yesterday, considering how poor Fish was on first serve (41%), but didn't convert. Korolev is a great returner, showed that beating Querrey and his big serve yesterday. Fish is similar player to Querrey but his serve didn't work as it should, if he didn't improve his serve tonight Korolev will use that and take this match (unless he fix it). Three units on Korolev @ 2 365 :hope Good luck with the other bets, all

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Auckland - John Isner vs Juan Monaco: Monaco at 1.90 I watched Monaco completely dismantle Horacio Zeballos last night and a few things stand out. His serve has improved - he admitted he's been working on it over the close season. He's moving well and his forehand is thunderous. Conversely, I thought Isner looked jaded when he played Garcia-Lopez yesterday. The court is slower than he would like (this helps Monaco) and he's not getting as many cheap points on serve. Monaco has the skills to out-rally him. Isner struggles in the heat and this match is being played a lunch-time in New Zealand - it'll be hot. I think Monaco will fancy his chances here and will be able to pick off the American. Bet strength: 3pts Auckland - Phillipp Kohlschreiber vs Thomaz Bellucci: Bellucci at 1.80 These two haven't met before but it is clear to see that the Brazilian is on an upward curve in form, while Kohlschreiber is struggling. The German has the ability but something isn't clicking at the moment with him. His serve, in particular, is letting him down, and Bellucci has the game to take this. He is a lefty, has a big serve and loves to attack with the forehand. The plexicushion surface in Auckland will help his game too - he prefers the court to be slightly slower. I think Kohlschreiber will find the Brazilian a tough nut to crack and I'm willing to back Bellucci to make it through. Bet strength: 3pts Sydney - Viktor Troicki vs Marcos Baghdatis: Troicki at 2.08 I'm a bit surprised to see Baghdatis the favourite here. Troicki showed that fitness and fatigue aren't a problem when he disposed of Florent Serra yesterday and he's taking on a player who is so inconsistent with his performances at the moment. Troicki's got a much more consistent serve and he has big groundstrokes that might be too much for Baghdatis. I see similarities in Berdych's game when you look at Troicki and Baghdatis really struggled to get to grips with that. The Serb should not be this price, and I'm willing to snap it up. Bet strength: 2pts Sydney - Stanislas Wawrinka vs Julien Benneteau: Benneteau at 2.50 Wawrinka leads 1-0 on the H2H but after a tough week in Chennai, where he made the final, I think the Swiss may come up short here. Benneteau is a good hard court player and he did well to take out Dudi Sela so comfortably in the last round. He's got a nice, compact game and he'll stick with Wawrinka. The Swiss has got all the shots but he throws in the odd howler and that may come here. He'll have one eye on Melbourne and going out would not be a complete tragedy here. Bet strength: 1pt Sydney - Pablo Cuevas vs Leonardo Mayer: Cuevas at 2.23 I hummed and hawed over this one and eventually gave in. Cuevas likes this court, it's slow and that suits his game. Mayer has shown in the US and indoors that he's far better on a faster hard court and was quite lucky to beat Igor Andreev in the last round. Mayer leads the H2H 2-0 and those matches were on clay, but I like Cuevas and he is an improving player, one who can cause the lesser lights a lot of problems. He has a big serve and also a nice backhand. Mayer is no mug but the odds of 2.23 are a little too generous in my opinion. Worth a look. Bet strength: 1pt

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Gone for quite a few here. I also thought about Korolev but Fish did well to see off Ball and it was an arduous match for the Russian against Querrey. Welcome, ShanAce, and good luck for your bets, I see we both have Troicki!

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Suarez-Navarro to beat Molik @ 8/11 Don't rate Molik so highly, very patchy player. She struggled past a poor Makarova last week before Clijsters bagelled her. Beat Mirza in round one but a terrible match from both. Suarez-Navarro is good player on hard-court, usually good this time of year. Wiped the floor with Shvedova in the last round too. If she stays consistent in this match, I think she wins. 'Cuevas x Benneteau both to win a set' Double @ Evens Cuevas vs Mayer should be good chance for Pablo to win. Conditions suit Cuevas and he beat Llodra fairly comfortable. Grinder with strong ground-strokes. Mayer was average versus Andreev but somehow came though. Would typically back him in match like this but don't think he's playing so well. I would lump cash on the Overs for this one but my bookie doesn't do it unfortunately. Think Stan is in for a tough fight in this one. Have to wonder how fresh he is after battles in Chennai, we seen how Sela was yesterday where Benneateau easily won. I like Stan but his game is inconsistent, lovely BH but serve and FH can let him down. Benneteau is trong and fairly consistent in rallies. Think he keeps this tight.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Many good matches tonight, with good value. I'd usually go with Almagro over Gicquel but don't know what shape he is in right now. Bellucci aswell looks good but Kohli is good in Auckland, intersting match-up to watch I think. Good BH versus lefty....should be good one. Kohli is woeful right now I guess. Isner versus Monaco is one I can't pick between....don't like Isner really, very limited but if he serves well theres a chance. One which I would have taken is Demetieva over Safina but bookies with poor odds on this one. GL everyone!

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January May leave the Wawrinka match due to him being a bit of an enigma so left to consider Gasquet. Had a quick look through form and match records on surfaces and cant see anything to put me off at the moment. Will post a write-up later.

Sport Tennis
Event Tomasz Belucci v Philipp Kohlschreiber
Selection Philipp Kohlschreiber
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Surprising to see Kohlschreiber as the outsider here. He played pretty poorly in the Hopman Cup last week but didn't put much effort in towards the end and this is a completely different week. He's got a good record in the event and getting a win could help get his confidence up. Belucci has played pretty well so far this season, but on hard courts Kohlschreiber is the superior player and I like this price.
Sport Tennis
Event Juan Monaco v John Isner
Selection Juan Monaco
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 1.90 (Back)
Reasoning Monaco seems a really solid price here. Isner was dreadful yesterday, I was on him but surprised he came through. This is going to be much tougher with Monaco making him play a lot more balls. Monaco looked good yesterday, looks to be starting the season in good shape and he should win here.

Sport Tennis
Event Richard Gasquet v Benjamin Becker
Selection Under 21.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Expect this to be comfortable for Gasquet. Seen him a couple of times this year and he's playing really well. Back to the old Gasquet before his problems last year. He seems to really like the slow courts here and this should be a really good match up for him. Not sure about Beckers performances so far this year and think he'll struggle in this match.
Sport Tennis
Event Potito Starace v Daniel Ginemo-Traver
Selection Daniel Ginemo-Traver
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 3.25 (Back)
Reasoning Just not sure about Starace being such a fav. He's dodgy as anything especially on hard courts and I think can easily lose this. His 2 wins this year have been against Gil who really doesn't seem to care at the moment. Ginemo-Traver played OK last week against Troicki but Troicki was really firing. He's got in here as a lucky loser and that makes him dangerous and worth a chance at this price.
Sport Tennis
Event Mardy Fish v Evgeny Korolev
Selection Evgeny Korolev
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.15 (Back)
Reasoning Korolev balsted through Querrey yesterday and he can do the same thing to Fish. When he gets on a roll Korolev can play incredible tennis, the result yesterday surprised me but a win here would not. Fish I still having a feeling isn't 100% and is going to have a tough time against Korolev.
Sport Tennis
Event Marcos Baghdatis v Viktor Troicki
Selection Viktor Troicki
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Don't like Baghdatis in this match up. He's really struggling with his first serve and can't allow Troicki to attack him. Troicki was very good last week in Doha, got a nice first round win here against Serra and I think he should be favourite for this match.
Sport Tennis
Event Lleyton Hewitt v Andreas Seppi
Selection Andreas Seppi
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 3.25 (Back)
Reasoning This looks like a really tough match for Hewitt. H2H is 2-1 to Seppi and all meetings have been really close. They play quite a similar style and it's easy to see why meetings have been close. Hewitt struggled a bit in Hopman Cup, and made some comments which suggested he wasn't 100% fit. Expect some punishing rallies in this and Hewitt could be exposed.

Sport Tennis
Event Victoria Azarenka v Dominika Cibulkova
Selection Dominika Cibulkova
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.62 (Back)
Reasoning Don't like Azarenka here. She's had a couple of long matches in the heat and could struggle in this one. She's having a few problems on serve dropping serve 12 times in 2 matches despite a good percentage of break points saved. Cibulkova seems to have started the year with a bit of form, and after a very nice win over Kuznetsova yesterday can cause another upset.

Sport Tennis
Event Aleksandra Wozniak v Kirsten Flipkens
Selection Kirsten Flipkens
Strength 10/10
Date 13/01/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.88 (Back)
Reasoning This seems like a reasonable price. Dont' like Wozniak, think she is very average. Flipkens is a player moving back up the rankings after some problems. She did well in qualifying here beating Kvitova and was comfortable in round 1. I think she has a great chance in this match to continue her good form.

Re: Tennis: 10th - 16th January Sport Tennis Event J C Ferrero vs N Lammer Selection J C Ferrero -4.5 (Asian Handicap) Strength 10/10 Date 13/01/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.84 (Back) Reasoning Juan Carlos Ferrero is on 23th place in WTA ranking,while N Lammer comes from the qualifications,being only on 209th place.Certainly,here Ferrero will win this match and I expect a easy victory,because N Lammer cannot be a difficult opponent ,he having modest evolutions last year.My pick on Ferrero with -4,5. :dude