** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League » Dec 09

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League » Dec 09

Get on Olympiakos. We will play some good stuff, especially Merida and Wilshere, and you never know, these youngsters could grow up overnight and put in a mature display, but I very much doubt it. Look for Olympiakos to show us up on set-pieces.
Completely agree. Olympiakos at Evens is a super price. The first team would find it tough enough away from home, so can't back the kids to get anything here. With Silvestre in defence, Olympiakos will have chances, the guy is garbage. The guy above posted the team which will likely play bar maybe one or two changes but overall it is very weak and inexperienced. I also fear that we'll have nothing up front. Thought similar at City in the CC last week but maybe Walcott could provide some thrust. Wouldn't bank on it though. If Olympiakos apply themselves properly, close down the spaces, throw long balls in, commit on set-pieces they'll have chances. Olympiakos at Evens to beat Arsenal

Just heard on SSN that Torres is only fit enough to start on the bench. Aquilani will start though. Are people still confident of a liverpool win?
It'll hinge on whether he goes with Benayoun. Benayoun is their next most valuable midfielder. Aquilani's done nothing yet to justify the fee, mainly because he's been injured I know, but I have my doubts as to whether he will be an adequate replacement for Alonso.

disagree with you mahno i think dynamo at a huge 11/1 on the -1 handicap are worth taking remember this team grinds out results and have recently beaten shaktar 3-0 at home the same shaktar that beat barca 5-2 in the last game ' date=' barca have nothing to play for here and i expect a reserve team and dynamo have an outside chance of qualifying so artem milesky to score anytime is a decent bet too.:spank[/quote'] Fair enough,everyone has his own opinion and bet with his own money. But...did you see Dynamo's last game?Forget about game against Shakhtar as it's ukrainian classico...something like Barca v Real.Dynamo plays same squad for many games now and players become tired.Also as i said before Sheva is too old now and all he can give is expirience...Milevsky is a fcuking clown who likes to dive and get penalty for...If keeper Bogush will play then they are doomed as he is one of them...you know...crap ones... Barca took to Kiev full squad and as far as i know had 2 training sessions.With Messi,Ibra,Inesta,Xavi,Pedro i see Barca scoring 2 or 3 goals easy. Will get more news tomorrow but at the moment i'm going on Barca large :ok

Arsenal look a huge price to me. Although it will be a young team, there's still a lot of talent in there and we're still capable of scoring some wonder goals. They've shown in the Carling Cup they can score some wonder goals and fear no-one. I expect we'll line up something like this; Fabianski Gilbert- Song - Silvestre - Cruise Eastmond Ramsey - Merida Walcott - Vela - Wilshire The youngsters are capable of coming up with some nice results so I'll take the 10/3 available at some bookies.
Atleast someone is on my side ;)

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 Yes,it's a must win game for Olimpiakos and yes,Arsenal will play young squad... Now does it remind you something?Today's game?Wolfsburg v Man.Un? Was must win for Wolfsburg and Man.Un played B Team...what was a final score?1-3,even Dzeko,Grafite and Mimisovic didn't help. And why people keep comparing loss of young Arsenal to Man.City to Olimpiakos game?How can you compare full squad man.City to Olympiakos anyway? Only my opinion anyway...may be wrong but who knows...

It will take less than a top European team to beat Arsenal squad B' date=' in a game with one sided motivation... ;)[/quote'] Did you have bet on motivated Wolfsburg against B team United? Even if you didn't then you still know about the result ;)

This dynamo side are mmuch better at home emphasised by the fact that they beat rubin easily 3-1 and away should have got all 3 points' date=' they have matched intermilan both times thye have played them and i dont think they should be taken lightly its games lyk these were i see barca slipping up i dnt think they will get beat 3-0 but 2-0 isnt out of the question just ask rubin!!![/quote'] Yes,so how could Inter beat Kiev 2-1 after 1 -0 lead at HT? Does it tell you anything?Anyway the choice is yours,can't be bothered to argue with you :eyes

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 I have decided to back Sevilla (-1) to beat Rangers at home. Rangers have nothing to play for but pride and Sevilla are clearly the better team and have a fantastic home record in the Champions League. Even though Luis Fabiano is out injured, Sevilla can call upon Kanoute to easily fill the void to lead the line. Sevilla only need a draw to win the group if Unirea manage to beat Stuttgart due to their better head to head but i think it will be a backs to the wall job for the Rangers defence with a continous flow of attacks. If Rangers concede early then Sevilla can win by a few goals. Sevilla (-1) v Rangers - 11/10 Ladbrokes

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 I think just like todays CL stages, unexpected lineups will define some results tomorrow night. In UEFA.com, all matches' lineups were confirmed like an hour ago they started and changed my mind in a couple of games (Maccabi-Bordeaux, Wolfsburg-ManUtd) from which i profited a good deal. Prices are usually cut down when there is less than an hour to kick-off but better be safe than sorry. :ok

I will be backing stuggart' date=' they have a new coach in Chrsitian Gross and this will be his 1st game. Stuggart were tremendous at Ibrox a few weeks ago and could have themselves netted a few more. Unirea have been great and a merit to themselves but i feel the Germans will have too much especially on home soil. Im tempted to even go stuggart -1[/quote'] Considering Unirea currently sit second in the group, I'm at a loss to understand how the bookies have priced this one up. Unirea 11/2 at Skybet. Maybe it's because a draw will suffice for Unirea and Stuttgart must go all out for the win to progress to the knockout stages. I must admit I don't share your confidence with regards to Stuttgart. Don't forget Unirea made mincemeat of Rangers at Ibrox and won their last match against Sevilla. I know Sevilla had already qualified but they still had to do it. On a lighter note, does anybody know if Christian Gross will be making his way to the match via the underground:lol

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 GROUP E Liverpool v Fiorentina liverpool are so disapointing this year and are really unpredicable. they will face fiorentina who must win if they want to keep the lead at the end then to get a easier draw for the next. but there are so bad news for the fiorentina side ,two important defender are out Gamberini and Dainelli and the forward mutu as well.jovetic is doutful without this two big miss in the fiorentina squad i will back them,but now it`s a different story. home win and under 2.5 goals round. Lyon v Debrecen since last sunday lyon are really in crisis, anyway lyon are upset and they must win for to take the lead in this group. they have some really good reason to beleive it. lyon are not very confident actually and a victory against this poor side will help them.Lyon will face Bordeaux at home in their next league game . there are 3 players injured for lyon toulalan , bodmer and cleber anderson. home win ht-ft lyon clean sheet GROUP F Dinamo Kiev v Barcelona what an open group ! barcelona are already trought but they must secure the first spot and a draw at kiev will be enough if kazan don`t win. while kiev must win for to get at least a ticket for the europa league and they will keep an eye on the other match of the group.kiev must attack and like marseille they will suffer some terrific counter attack. both teams are more or less free from injuries away win over 2.5 goals Inter Milan v Rubin Kazan must win here for both team ,there are two big miss for kazan alexander Bukharov and key defender roman Bukharov while the inter coach have not major absence. no bet for me GROUP G Seville v Rangers seville have all the power to get 3 points against this disapointed rangers. seville shouldn`t have any problem for to defeat the scottish. they fully deserved the lead in this group.in the primera division they are 4-3-0 at home .seville did a draw at home against stuggart but they was already qualified for the next round. i prefer to bet on the over 2.5 only Stuggart v FC Unirea Urziceni stuggart will go for the win but they are struggling in bundesliga. the roumanian are in unbeleivable good position, they are in very good form in their championship and they have some very good reason to hope at least a draw in germany. but there some bad and good news for the roumanian. the first one is bad , stuggart have a new coach the swiss christian gross replaced marcus babel after to made a last disappointing result against bochum 1-1. the good one stuggart have some injured players Kuzmanovic is very probably out, Hitzlsperger definetly and they are both midlefielder. x2 GROUP H Olympiacos v arsenal the grecs will try to secure the second spot against an unmotivated arsenal.they should do it ,a draw will be enough.arsenal will give the chance for the substitute and some reserve players. arsenal will not take risk tomorrow and olympiacos as well. under 2.5 goals Standard v alkmaar here a draw will be enough for standard for to go in europa league. they deserved it.alkmaar aren`t in good form but why not a surprise. they have a new coah ronald koeman is gone and the ducht Dick Advocaat replace him. for standart 4 regular players are definetely out midlefielder Carcela-Gonzalez Defour and Dacourt and defender 18 years old eliaquim mangala.and mbokani is doutful. for alkmaar very influent El Hamdaoui is back since last week. away win :hope:hope:hope:hope

Yes,it's a must win game for Olimpiakos and yes,Arsenal will play young squad... Now does it remind you something?Today's game?Wolfsburg v Man.Un? Was must win for Wolfsburg and Man.Un played B Team...what was a final score?1-3,even Dzeko,Grafite and Mimisovic didn't help. And why people keep comparing loss of young Arsenal to Man.City to Olimpiakos game?How can you compare full squad man.City to Olympiakos anyway? Only my opinion anyway...may be wrong but who knows...
Totally agree, these were my thoughts exactly, Man City were one of the bets of the season last week and have more quality than Olympiakos. However, just looking at Olympiakos results and they have not been beaten at home this season domestically and have won both their home CL ties in the group so far.

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 In other words, there is something fishy with every easy "must" win game in the Champions League, something that most people go for and someone else gets the sugar in the end. So, even though Inter might win I don't think it will be an easy match, surely not a destructive one for the visitors. Hosts have won only one match in more than 12 months of Europe competitions, speaking of this last 12. They haven't been much of a show-off in Europe, sometimes playing under achieveing matches and on some occasions quite ridiculous ones. Last match they were quite lucky when visiting Dynamo Kiev, where they wasted all their created chances in the second half after losing by the odd goal for 85 minutes, only to turn things around on the account of lousy mistakes from the hosts in the last 6-7 minutes. They will have a full squad for this one, including the crucial and my personal favorite W. Sneijder. I don't expect them to explode from the first whistle even though their game can someone be a reflection of the biggest egoist in the game, coach Mourinho. They shouldn't underestimate their opponents and they won't, as visitors have proven more than a side to be reckoned with in this campaign. R. Kazan have nothing to lose in this one, well not more than a play-off spot further, but they have still managed to get in history after giving a lesson to the European champions Barcelona on their own soil, scoring twice in the process. I believe that they will be pleased with their whole display in this competition and will play with no pressure in this one, in contrast to the hosts. Draw will see Inter through the next phase, only if Barcelona do not lose, gamble that surely no one would like to take in front. A result of 2-2 will see Kazan ahead of the hosts, so I believe that Inter will try to play a stable home game, not entirely open to the lethal charge of the opponents lead by A. Dominguez. Winning or not I don't see Inter winning by a greater margin than one goal so a handicap on the visitors could cover it. Two major absentees for the away squad, Bukharov (forward) and Sharonov (defender).:welcome:gimme:D:D:D:D:D

Did you have bet on motivated Wolfsburg against B team United? Even if you didn't then you still know about the result ;)
As a matter of fact I did have a bet on Wolfsburg, which I of course lost and that is why our game is so complex. Despite today's cryout loud squad B triumphs, history has confirmed that such games have a tendency and that is why motivation and absences are a very serious factor to decide games. I am thinking today's results was not expected, was not the rule, but an anomaly, to have all squad Bs prevailing. I would give 1 out of 3 as an expected ratio, but then again, that is statistics need to be put down on long term perspective and surely not an argumented one CL day conclusion. As for the game, Olympiakos is always feeling good at home and they managed to win both games so far there. Of course, Arsenal squad B means unpredictability, means we can a strike of wonder by any of those kids that will probably be Arsenal starting lineup material in the years to come, but still, the question for me is backing up the hosts or skip. At least, in earlier more generous prices.

Sorry, but you've gotta lap up some of the 2.2 on offer here for Liverpool. There's a good chance Torres will be back here, and I think they will be going for the win. I think anything over evens for Liverpool at home against what is most definitely not the best side in the Italian league, is a bit of a gift.
Liverpool have won only 3 out of their last 13 games. They have no motivation here, it's a glorified friendly. Why would anyone go near this game. Madness in my book

Liverpool have won only 3 out of their last 13 games. They have no motivation here, it's a glorified friendly. Why would anyone go near this game. Madness in my book
I agree. Plus Liverpool has let me down so much this season and last weekend too. I really think it is better betting over/under 2.5 rather than them Liverpool winning. Also Liverpool will be playing Arsenal this weekend, so some players would probably be rested and this match may not be with full strength. Wait for the team news first I guess. Good luck to everyone today!:cow Hope it doesnt turn out like yesterday! :ok

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 First post... Standard Leige vs AZ Alkmaar The focus for this match is on Standard Leige must win to qualify for the next round. Leige have been unimpressive this campaign conspiring to lose 3 matches so far and win only one. If motivation is the facter for backers then you must remember that a win for AZ will award them Europa Cup football, and having appointed new manager Dick Advocaat last week, you can see equal motivation for a team hungry to make amends for the poor start to the season. Pick: Away Win (1.5 Pts - 4.00) Olympiacos vs Arsenal Olympiacos are a decent side and need a point to see them through to the next stage, depending on results in the Standard Leige game - if Standard do lose then the Greek outfit are through anyway. With Arsenal fielding their youngsters and reserves this makes for a potential minefield of a game. When the young gunners run hot they can give anybody a game, when they don't - like last week against Manchester City - then anything can happen. However, looking at the Manchester City game, Arsenal gave City a good game in the first half and looked most likely to score. They were undone by sloppy defending and three wonder goals. Whatever happens in Athens Arsenal always have a goal in them. This is the biggest stage for that set of young players to make amends and I'm looking at the anytime goalscorer market and two players with the talent and motivation to bring us some money. Picks: Jack Wilshere (Anytime Scorer - 1 pt - Odds = 5.50) - Has been in the press this week talking up potential loan moves: Celtic, Rangers and Middlesboro are interested but Arsenals wonderboy wants EPL action. Will see this game as an opportunity to put himself in the window and has bags of talent. Aaron Ramsey (Anytime Scorer - 1 pt - 6.00) Scored at the weekend against Stoke and recently got a wondergoal for Wales. Looks to be on the verge of stepping up in a big way. A goal and a good performance tonight can cement his place in the first team. Will be eager to prove himself and knows where the goal is. Price is too big. GL all

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 Olympiacos - Arsenal: Draw @ 3.30 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Olympiacos is well served, for qualification sake, with either the draw or the win. I just can't see Olympiacos risking too much against Arsenal's 'B' team which certainly has the ability to punish their opponents if they are taken lightly. I believe Olympiacos will aproach the match in similar fashion to the last game against Alkmaar where again they wanted at least a draw. Arsenal will play in a relaxed manner, I think, and probably will not threaten Olympiacos's defense too much. Furthermore, the hosts are strong at home and their defense is solid. I think the value bet is the draw.

As a matter of fact I did have a bet on Wolfsburg' date=' which I of course lost and that is why our game is so complex. Despite today's cryout loud squad B triumphs, history has confirmed that such games have a tendency and that is why motivation and absences are a very serious factor to decide games. I am thinking today's results was not expected, was not the rule, but an anomaly, to have all squad Bs prevailing. I would give 1 out of 3 as an expected ratio, but then again, that is statistics need to be put down on long term perspective and surely not an argumented one CL day conclusion.[/quote'] The problem with Wolfsburg was simply that they have a weak defence, or better they defend naive. Both left/right back are usually playing a big role in offense attacks (Schäfers cross to Dzekos goal). If those guys lose the ball when attacking, Wolfsburg gets in trouble and face dangerous counter attacks. Additionally guys like Nani and Owen would be in squad A of many teams ;) Wolfsburg did concede three goals against Nürnberg with their crap offense, so I myself could not be sure enough if Manchester would not be capable of doing the same and did skip this match. Of course the bet would look good when Wolfsburg would profit from their risky offensive football, but the are not doing this as much as last season at the moment. If there are no parallels with Olympiakos, then for sure we have a different situation :ok

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 i dont know what are you talking guys, for me Arsenal is the bet of the day, as bordeaux was yesterday, i rate the arsenal youngsters as one class above olympiakos regulars. Single bet, i cant beleive that arsenal is considered as outsider in this clash:zzzgo go gunners gimme the money :notworthy

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong, but the price on Liverpool has risen unrealisticly, and these are the type of games that will end in a win for the home side.

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 Likely Barca line-up to be.. __________________Valdes_____________________ D.Alves________Pique________Puyol________Abidal ________Xavi________Toure_______Iniesta________ ______Messi________Ibrahimovic______Henry______ Strongest team they could possibly put out isnt it!?, I imagine they will get the job done tonight, its their own fault they havent qualified already and as such the strongest team has to be put out..Not the easiest place to go granted but after an excellent start when i thought they should have beaten Inter in the San Siro they have run out of steam a bit, cant see them beating that team, will decide on my bets later tonight i think too many rumours going around at the moment to make informed decisions..as others have said team sheets must be seen for certain before bets placed..

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 I think tonights game at Anfield has a home win written all over it, can't believe the odds on the pool. Torres is meant to be back and although liverpool are stuttering of late with the last few results in the prem i think they are a class above their opposition with home advantage tipping the scale for me. Liverpool win:hope I'm also goin to go for a low scoring stalemate in the arsenal match. With so many young players looking to work their way into Wengers plans in the future i think they'll be busting a gut to show him what they are capable of. With their undoubted class which has been seen in the carling cup and the rest of the squad seeing Ramsey make it into the first team due to his recent performances will mean more fringe players will feel they can cement a place in future squads.However Olympiacos are extremely solid at home and only need a draw. Therefore i cant see arsenal being bet but cant see them winning either. Arsenal Olympiacos draw:hope Possible double on both these for a nice return:hope

Re: Champions League » Dec 09 Question...does anyone know why the odds on the Lyon-Debrecen game going under is as high as 2.50? Aren't Lyon already qualified? Or is it expected that they'll go for the win and the top spot? I see quite a few unders in tonights games, I got my fingers burnt last night like a lot of people, but as has been mentioned, a few groups are already settled, so I think few goals will flow tonight.

Question...does anyone know why the odds on the Lyon-Debrecen game goin under is as high as 2.50? Aren't Lyon already qualified? Or is it expected that they'll go for the win and the top spot? I see quite a few unders in tonights games, I got my fingers burnt last night like a lot of people, but as has been mentioned, a few groups are already settled, so I think few goals will flow tonight.
I think this under odds are a result of Florentina v Debrecen match which ended with many goals. Further on Lyon had this high scoring match against Marseille and Lille (5:5 and 4:3).