** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis: US Open

Re: Tennis: US Open

Sport Tennis
Event Iveta Benesova v Bethanie Mattek-Sands
Selection Lay Bethanie Mattek-Sands (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 3.10 (Lay)
Reasoning This looks like a reasonable choice. Mattek-Sands awful form in singles ths year, losing her last 10 matches. Doubles clearly form important as fitness problems in singles. Benesova is a solid player, higher level than Mattek. Form is OK coming in and should win this.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the rich amongst us have a look at the Giovanni Lapentti v Simon Greul match. At the moment you can get Lapentti at 11/10 at willhills and at Greul at Evens at Bet365, Boylesports & Corals! Be quick tho as im sure this wont last! My picks are: R Federer to win 3-0 1/4 at Willhill Well federer is federer he will want to get the first game out of the way and his opponent Devin Britton currently ranked 1370 in the world has only won a single set against players ranked in the top 750. So im fairly certain Fed wont have any problems here and at 1/4 i think its a steal with the same being as short as 1/100 elsewhere. Robredo to win 2/7 Willhill I think Robredo ranked 15 and has only once failed to get past the first round and has a 19/8 record at US. Donald young is an up and coming young player but has only won 1 game at the US in 3 attempts altho he had a mammoth 5 setter with james blake last year I still think Robredo will be far too strong. Davydenko to win 3-0 1/4 general Davydenko has transformed into a very reliable player to bet on in early rounds of tournaments over the last few years and faces 222 ranked dieter kindlmann who has been a pro for 8 years but has still failed to beat any top 100 ranked player and has only managed to qualify for 3 grand slams of which he has a 1/4 record. He has also never qualified for the US open, Davydenkos last 3 years granslam performances have resulted in 31/10 record and of the 31 wins a huge 26 have been 3-0 and an impressive 8 out of 8 wins at the US open in this time were by 3-0.
yey good start to the tournament with all 3 winning fairly comfortably made for a nice lil treble, well done to everyone else who has won :ok

Not a whole lot going on today from what I can see.Have placed money already on: Gil to beat Devvarman @5/6 Watched some of Gil's matches last week in New Haven and he played some good stuff, before losing to Andreev.Devvarman also had some decent wins over last few weeks and came through qualifiers pretty easily.Think Gil has more to hs game though and is superior player....in a 50/50 match I'm happy to side with Gil here. Hanescu looks a decent shout against Isner but this match will probably be decided a a tie-break or two.Also as mentioned earlier, not quite sure why Ilhan is a fave against Rochus.Granted Rochus is a mug, it still looks decent value. Tomorrow's card looks a bit better so more then. GL!
LOSS 2WIN - 1LOSS for the tournament.

Sport Tennis
Event Jelena Dokic v Kirsten Flipkens
Selection Kirsten Flipkens
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price totesport @ 2.25 (Back)
Reasoning Surely Dokic cannot be favourite. Apart from miracle run in Australia form has been very average this year. Plus, no play since Wimbledon due to injury problems. Sure she wouldn't be playing this week if not grand slam. Flipkens reasonable player but this is just betting against Dokic.
Sport Tennis
Event Sybille Bammer v Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Selection Lay Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.94 (Lay)
Reasoning Bammer should be too good here. She playing good this summer latest tournaments getting wins and only losing to top players. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez made name for herself this year but is really a clay player. Her style upsets some ballbashers but Bammer should be able to counter it and style should match up well.

Re: Tennis: US Open Well done Father Ted. Just placed one more double to hopefully recoup Gil loss: Stepanek x Hantuchova @1/2 As Cramer said above, this looks like bad match-up for Bolelli against Stepanek.Very tricky player to play with his strong serve and serve/volley tactics.Expect a win here but going by today's results it could go the distance. Hantuchova plays Shaughnessy and she is far superior player.Always dangerous player to back as she can be inconsistent but should have little problem here. GL! PS: bad luck to guys who backed Rochus over Ilhan.He had so many opportunities to win this.Choke if I've ever seen one.

Re: Tennis: US Open Cramer...dunno if you know that Dokic was down with mono the last few weeks...the same thing which plagued Federer last year.Would of been hard for her to train and apparently she was bed-ridden for a while.Makes Flipkens seem like a value choice here. I'd say no bet myself but who knows.

Cramer...dunno if you know that Dokic was down with mono the last few weeks...the same thing which plagued Federer last year.Would of been hard for her to train and apparently she was bed-ridden for a while.Makes Flipkens seem like a value choice here. I'd say no bet myself but who knows.
Yes I forgot to mention that. That's why I say she wouldn't be playing this week if it wasn't US Open. Don't think she'll be coming in very prepared at all.

Sport Tennis
Event Rainer Schuettler v Jan Hernych
Selection Rainer Schuettler -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Skybet @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning Both players bad form, and both probably past they best. However, Schuettler has been class above and has shown he can still do business in grand slam. This could be his last time so expect him to be motivated and should take care of poor Hernych.
Sport Tennis
Event Simon Greul v Giovanni Lapentti
Selection Simon Greul -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning Interesting that the prices are so close here. Greul is far higher ranked and the superior player. Maybe less experience on hard courts but I never think of him as pure clay court player. Lapentti wins through qualifying but I don't think this is enough to make prices so close. Greul has reasonable form and should win this.
Sport Tennis
Event Guillermo Garcia-Lopez v Peter Polansky
Selection Lay Peter Polansky (Lay)
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.92 (Lay)
Reasoning Cannot see many chances for Polansky. He is limited player wh just got inspired playing in Montreal. He also come through qualifying here but cannot see him beating a player like Garcia-Lopez. Garcia-Lopez is very strong player, but mentally not so good. So don't risk a straight sets win as he very capable of a lapse and drop set, but can't see him losing overall.
Sport Tennis
Event Marco Chiudinelli v Potito Starace
Selection Marco Chiudinelli -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Skybet @ 4.50 (Back)
Reasoning Excellent opportunity for Chiudinelli. His career ruined by bad injuries but now he's playing well again and made it through qualifying. He has strong serve and aggressive game and should like conditions. He made 3rd round here in 2005 from qualifying beating Lopez and close match against Gasquet. Starace is poor in hard courts and in grand slams, don't like his chance here.
Sport Tennis
Event John Isner v Victor Hanescu
Selection John Isner -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning Big John is having a great summer getting lots of wins. Now coming in with confidence he'll have big crowd support and should go well. The talk is conditions are very fast so should definately suit. Hanescu is good player but not so much on hard courts and has bad record at US Open.
Sport Tennis
Event Marcel Ilhan v Christophe Rochus
Selection Marcel Illhan -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning Don't know too much about Illhan except that he is on a roll! He had back prolem in first round of qualifying but then beat de Chaunac and Mello for impressive wins. First chance in grand slam and he has excellent chance. C Rochus occasionally shows up playing very well but mostly off clay he is very weak. Great chance for Illhan and it could be comfortable victory.
Sport Tennis
Event Tommy Robredo v Donald Young
Selection Donald Young
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 4.80 (Back)
Reasoning This would be big upset but is worth a chance. Young no longer rookie player now he needs to make impact. He's struggled but come through qualifying OK and should have excellent support. He's played well at US Open before and can win this match. Robredo having poor summer going 1-4 in hardcourt tournaments and really seems to be struggling. Young is capable of producing the upset of round 1!
Tip Detail
Sport Tennis
Event Igor Kunitsyn v Olivier Rochus
Selection Igor Kunitsyn -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfred @ 4.33 (Back)
Reasoning Kunitsyn is player I like and I will keep backing him. Good game and should be too strong for O Rochus. Rochus maybe not playing as bad as earlier in the year but still he looks to be past it and this should be a good match up for Kunitsyn.
Sport Tennis
Event Philip Kohlschreiber v Andreas Seppi
Selection Andreas Seppi
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Expekt @ 2.45 (Back)
Reasoning Kolhschreiber is having a bad summer, since tough Davis Cup match he's struggling for results. Seppi is solid player. To me this seems like a really close match, maybe 5 sets, and value in Seppi to pull through.
Sport Tennis
Event Marc Gicquel v Dimitry Tursunov
Selection Marc Gicquel -2.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 3.75 (Back)
Reasoning Simple Tursunov is injured and will probably not be 100% here. This bet is risky as chance of retiring but chance he just plays it out too. He's having surgery on ankle problem after US Open. Gicquel is solid player and should see this as a great chance of making second round.
Cramer? How many times did you watch Kunitsyn? You are like Kojic or Cornell from Bettingadvice. searching for underdogs or big odds, but you never win. You won 1 match at 10! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SPORT, ok? You influence people! And "keep betting your Russian Kunitsyn", you have nothing to do with this sport or betting! :spank

Sport Tennis
Event Andy Roddick v Bjorn Phau
Selection Bjorn Phau +6.5 games
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 4.00 (Back)
Reasoning I think Phau can keep this match close. He's got a big game and when it gets going he is very strong. He played pretty well last week and should have some confidence. Under the lights sometimes Roddick has had tough matches and I think Phau will like the atmosphere. 6.5 is quite a few games for this price so I'll have a go.

Cramer? How many times did you watch Kunitsyn? You are like Kojic or Cornell from Bettingadvice. searching for underdogs or big odds, but you never win. You won 1 match at 10! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SPORT, ok? You influence people! And "keep betting your Russian Kunitsyn", you have nothing to do with this sport or betting! :spank
I like the player and I've had a lot more than 1 winner today, some at big prices:ok

SportTennis
EventSybille Bammer vs Maria Martinez Sanchez
SelectionMartinez Sanchez (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.84 (Lay)
ReasoningScheduled for a 23:10 start. Bammer was too hot last week on hard court and she should be too strong for the up and coming Spaniard here. Bammer beat many tough girls last week in the build up to this and she is much better suited to these style of courts whereas Sanchez is more of a clay player. The youngster will be up against it here and she is worth laying at this price.

Sport Tennis
Event Venus Williams v Vera Dushevina
Selection Vera Dushevina +1.5 sets
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.96 (Back)
Reasoning Venus I think really over rated. Form this summer not so good and apart from on grass she just not dominaant. First match too chance of slow start and this seems like good bet. Dushevina is a reasonable player and can take advatage if Venus not playing well.

Sport Tennis
Event Na Li v Ioana Raluca Olaru
Selection Ioana Raluca Olaru
Strength 10/10
Date 31/08/2009
Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 5.00 (Back)
Reasoning Li struggling with knee injury for a while. Just read that she will play but isn't sure she can play 100% and will just be going out to see. Olaru up and coming play but hasn't shown much on hard courts. Definately a play against Li here at a big price.

Re: Tennis: US Open Bellucci v Lu - over 37.5 games @ 1.9 Bellucci throught the qualies showed improvement in his game on the surface,and now he's a slight fav. against Lu even Brazilian was demolished in their only previous meeting and it was this year in 1st round of AO(same surface).Bellucci maybe is little overrated here but surely is quality player,bookies even think that he's enough capable of beating Lu !I am not sure in that as Lu has good slam experience behind him and this is his fav. surface.Clearly remember him upseting Nalbaldian on AO this year,however imo this should be tight match and the overs are most expected outcome to me.Four setter could get the job done and I can't see this one finishing in less than four..:hope

Re: Tennis: US Open Verdasco v Becker B. - over 29.5 games @ 1.85 These two have meet each other three times.They have two meetings this year with BB winning once in two tight sets but on grass,while Verdasco was comfortable in Miami on hard (63 64).Their first meeting was on slam in 06' and had 58 games,Verdasco won the fifth set 9-7,surface was grass!Becker is really bad match up for Verdasco looking at their previous meetings,especialy on grass.I think this line is unfair as Becker posses game to give big resistance to Nando,knows good the game of his opponent and should be very inspired for this one.Can see one tie-break and with the luck on my & BB's side at least foursetter.If lost the tie and win five more games this is a winner..:hope

Verdasco v Becker B. - over 29.5 games @ 1.85 These two have meet each other three times.They have two meetings this year with BB winning once in two tight sets but on grass,while Verdasco was comfortable in Miami on hard (63 64).Their first meeting was on slam in 06' and had 58 games,Verdasco won the fifth set 9-7,surface was grass!Becker is really bad match up for Verdasco looking at their previous meetings,especialy on grass.I think this line is unfair as Becker posses game to give big resistance to Nando,knows good the game of his opponent and should be very inspired for this one.Can see one tie-break and with the luck on my & BB's side at least foursetter.If lost the tie and win five more games this is a winner..:hope
its a hard court. not grass. Dasco will chop him.

Re: Tennis: US Open It's hard court..:loon Same as you,I am here for winning too..just trying to pick winning bets after analyzing them and then share here on this great friendly forum..Never said Verdasco and Becker play on grass tomorrow,is there grass in NY?:unsure maybe you didn't understand me and it's ok,but it's not ok to make such 'will chop him' comment on my pick,if you're placing a bet on that one please give us the reason why.Analyzes like that on anyones pick is unfair,don't help anyone so be free to keep it for yourself. Good luck with your bets :cheers

It's hard court..:loon Same as you,I am here for winning too..just trying to pick winning bets after analyzing them and then share here on this great friendly forum..Never said Verdasco and Becker play on grass tomorrow,is there grass in NY?:unsure maybe you didn't understand me and it's ok,but it's not ok to make such 'will chop him' comment on my pick,if you're placing a bet on that one please give us the reason why.Analyzes like that on anyones pick is unfair,don't help anyone so be free to keep it for yourself. Good luck with your bets :cheers
:drums Based on form, and Verdasco's solid on hardcourt record.. im confident Verdasco will beat him around 3 3 3.. doesnt quiet make it enough for your bet.. i spose he could have a little slip up. but i doubt this. GL to you mate :)

Just placed one more double to hopefully recoup Gil loss: Stepanek x Hantuchova @1/2 As Cramer said above, this looks like bad match-up for Bolelli against Stepanek.Very tricky player to play with his strong serve and serve/volley tactics.Expect a win here but going by today's results it could go the distance. Hantuchova plays Shaughnessy and she is far superior player.Always dangerous player to back as she can be inconsistent but should have little problem here.
WIN 3win-1loss for tournament...hopefully more today

Re: Tennis: US Open Couple of matches catch the eye today. Suarez-Navarro over Lepchenko @ 5/6 This looks great price to me.Lepchenko got some decent results in New Haven beating Craybas and Olaru but Navarro is better player.Good player to watch with nice backhand.Has lost in the early rounds of recent tournaments so form not as great as it can be...maybe the reason bookies make this an even match.But she's performed in the grand slams this year reaching 1/4 in Oz and 3rd round in Rolland Garros and Wimbledon.Yet to make her mark in New York but this is great chance to reach second round.Confident of win here. Safarova over Schnyder @ 5/6 Think Safarova is good player capable of climbing higher in the rankings than she is now.Looks in good form after run to 1/4 final in Toronto beating some good players before losing to Serena.Schnyder has done well here in the past but looks like player on the decline to me.Safarova can be quite erratic at times but has got the game to win this one.Might be tough match however. GL!

Re: Tennis: US Open Event: Nieminen v Fognini Pick: Nieminen Odds: 1.83 (stanjames) Stake: 10/10 Nieminen struggled with injury for almost four months. He had a practice in New Haven, lost to claycourter Capdeville in two sets. Fognini, on the other hand is the typical claycourter rarely playing on faster surfaces. He retired in New Haven against Tipsa. Looking back in the past i noticed that most of his matches on hardcourts which he won were actually retirement of his opponent(Lapentti, Safin, Istomin...). As i read somewhere, there can be only two scenarios today, Nieminen wins, or someone from these two retires. That's why i reccoment you to take bookie who will void your bets in case of the second scenario. Event: Karlovic v Navarro Pastor Pick: Under 41 Odds: 1.90 (Fonbet) Stake: 10/10 Karlo playing this challenger claycourter on hard court and line is set at 41?? I'll take it without much thinking. Karlo didn't showed too much skills in New Haven and in previous hard court tournaments but USO is after all, the peak of the season on this surface and he will be on his highest level today. Navarro, as i said is only a mediocre claycourter playing mostly on challengers without much success. Karlo will definetly end this match in 3 straight sets and with that scenario under will pass no matter at the number of the games per set. Let's just say that Pinna set the line at 39 games... Take it while you can.

Re: Tennis: US Open Event: Luczak v Troicki Pick Troicki Odds: 2.01 at betsafe Stake: 10/10 Only reason why we have Luczak as a favourite here, is the fact that Troicki still carries ankle injury. Luczak plays mostly on clay, and mostly on challengers, he's 30 years old but in normal conditions he should be heavy dog against serb. No way i'm going to miss this great offer, i take Troicki but only at bookies where they count retirement as a void bet. Betsafe still has huge 2.01 for Troicki, and if he will be injured he will retire.