** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing post

Grrrr..............just been to look at the Post to see if they had any news of RUK......... Noticed an article in there saying that the Membership Scheme is coming in next month. The stuff you are going to have to pay to view on the RP site is.......... Analysis and data Spotlights Postdata Racing Post Ratings (RPR) tables Topspeed tables Selection boxes Post-race analysis Raceform Notebook Analysis of winning times Previous winners' tables Horse statistics RPR and Topspeed ratings on horse pages Bloodstock Horse sales Horse relatives Sales search Information Quotes from trainers Racing business news News archive Tipping Pricewise Extra Trading Post Trading Post Extra Training Centres Big-race Trends In-running pointers I know that in the big scheme of things we have no right to expect things for free but I can't see me paying hand over fist for things that I've had for free. Last couple of months I've been doing some research on group one races, two year old races, big handicaps...........it's my hobby ! In the course of, for example, looking at 2 year old group races I've looked up well over a thousand horses covering the last 10 years.......... Even if they're only going to charge a few pence to access some information, it's gonna mount up pretty damn quick. Grrr.............I'm an old fuddy-duddy..........I hate things changing.........:wall

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Racing post I also heard this Trotter and its a shame really but to be honest with you i used to buy the Racing post around 29 Days of a 31 day calendar month and only missed the 2 days due to being extremely busy on those days, But i added up how much i was spending and it was crazy something like £45 quid a month. So in a way i think its £7.50 isnt that bad a month as they obviously are losing out on there Newspaper sales if there site is giving the info away free. But it is a shame as the site is a great source of info.

Re: Racing post They won't be losing out at all. If they were, then why would they do it? They will have way more subscribers each month, than real sales. It is to be expected that it will be cheaper to subscribe than to buy a hard copy anyways, it doesnt cost anything to produce does it...? I think it is fair enough tbh.

Re: Racing post

They won't be losing out at all.
I actually disagree with that. With the alternatives getting better and better, ATR and Sporting Life, I am pretty sure that by introducing this charge they will lose a decent amount of customers to their rivals, and possibly lose their current role as the market leaders in online form. If it had started off at a cost, I wouldnt have envisaged problems, but changing something that was free to something that costs can often drive the customers away, and I expect that could be the case here. I dont use RP that much, but I do agree with you that the price they are charging isnt that bad compared to the price of the paper.

Re: Racing post I only use Racing Post so, in honesty, I'd probably pay. It depends on what I can see for free though as I don't care for lots of things they have to say. I'm more disappointed at the bloody speed it's running at....painfully slow for me.

Re: Racing post Not having that problem, Russ......... The problem I've had for months is not being able to open individual racecards...........I open 'Today's Cards' then click on an individual race and all I get is the page heading and the betting forecast. No racecard. I can only see the racecards by going into 'Show all cards at this meeting on one page'...............

Re: Racing post I'll probably end up paying the 7.50 if that's what it is.......... I spend so much time on the Post site these days, it'll leave a big hole in my day if I couldn't use it............. Recently I've been looking at winners of past races, trends if you like, but the things I'm looking at are stamina figures of sire & damsire, racing post ratings of runs prior to winning the 'trend race'.........those kind of figures are just not available elsewhere. None of the other sites that I've looked at even give the 'average winning distances' of sires............none of them have race by race ratings

I actually disagree with that. With the alternatives getting better and better' date=' ATR and Sporting Life, I am pretty sure that by introducing this charge they will lose a decent amount of customers to their rivals[/quote'] They will lose people to their rivals, without doubt. But I suspect a lot of people will be happy to pay if the amount is modest. One aspect in which RP is massively ahead of ATR and SL is the quality of their race reading (ATR and SL race readers are frequently inaccurate in their summaries)

Re: Racing post To be honest, I think its an outstanding website and the capacity to source information when studying form is vast. To have it for free all this thime has been fantastic. I feared it would only be a matter of time before they started charging and unfortunately the time has come :( I feel £7.50 a month is good value for regular users.

Re: Racing post Very much a kick in the balls as I use the racing post site as my main source when looking at form. seems the media companies providing racing is turning the same way football has in that they are more interested in a profit for the business than the feelings of the fans. Racing uk's increase in price being another example.

Re: Racing post MMM I dont know what to think basically I use both ATR and RP, usually use ATR to find races where I have a fancy then go to RP and purchase the form for 20p simply because there form cards are much better than ATR to print out and work on, so aslong as the membership is gonna include these without having to fork out an extra 20p aswell as the membership fee I will be happy to purchase membership! I think RP has far more deeper information BUT ATR has a huge backlog of form to scan through very easily and quickly but not as in depth!

Re: Racing post Does anyone think they're going to postpone this again ? I mean 'July' is only a few days away and I can't see anything about how much the subscription will be, how you go about joining, wether they want payment by direct debit or whatever.............. I know there's already a facility for puting money on account on the site, tho' I've never actually done it............do you think they'll just take the monthly subscription out of the balance on your account and close you down if there isn't enough in credit. All seems a bit haphazard and unclear................

Re: Racing post Oh and another thing........... When you log in you get that 'Members Landing' pop up.........and it says 'Try It For Free' What does that mean ?........ There doesn't apear to be anything to click on to try anything for free....... I'm confused.............:unsure

Oh and another thing........... When you log in you get that 'Members Landing' pop up.........and it says 'Try It For Free' What does that mean ?........ There doesn't apear to be anything to click on to try anything for free....... I'm confused.............:unsure
When you log in now, you are trying for free because you have access to all areas! In a couple of days they will go to subs model and a lot of the site you won't be able to see without payment.

When you log in now' date=' you are trying for free because you have access to all areas! In a couple of days they will go to subs model and a lot of the site you won't be able to see without payment.[/quote'] That's my interpretation too, dudeman. My assumption is that on Wednesday, when you try to log in, it will request a payment.

I noticed the other day that the sportlights had been chopped to only a short sentence for each horse. How long have then been like that?
That's the 'Diomed' comment, whatever that is - just an abbreviated version of the proper spotlight I think. There's a radio button you can click to switch between them