** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Curragh 29/6/08

"THE CURRAGH" There are stories told that from the very first race that took place on the Curragh around the 1700's, which was recorded by Cherney's racing calendar in 1727. The word "Curragh" means place of the running horse. As early as the third century there was chariot racing on the Curragh. This is well documented. The Irish turf club was founded in the coffee rooms in Kildare and it was soon established as the governing body for horse racing throughout Ireland. From Celtic Warrior to Celtic Tiger - a look back at the Curragh over the centuries The Irish Derby The first ever-Irish Derby took place in 1866 on the Curragh and since then the majority of the most prestigious flat races in the Irish racing calendar take place on the Curragh. In 1865 a commission was set up by the house of parliament to examine the Curragh, and the resultant 1868 Curragh of Kildare act settled the right of common pasture, and preserved the use of the Curragh for the purpose of horse racing and training. The total area of the Curragh was defined as 4870 acres, and the management of the Curragh was vested in the office of a ranger. The 1870 Curragh of Kildare act dealt with grazing rights and specified that only sheep could be grazed on the Curragh. Following the treaty of 1921 the lands passed from the British crown to the minister for finance, and later to the minister of defence and his department, under the Curragh of Kildare acts, now administers them. The Curragh of Kildare act of 1961 repealed the 1868 act and parts of the 1870 act, and allowed for the enclosure of parts of the Curragh, and the attendant extinguishment of sheep grazing rights. In 1964 the minister for Defence introduced a set of bye laws which were statuary instruments providing for further regulation in the use and management of the Curragh. Basically these were a practical list of "do's and don'ts" relating to the Curragh. The Curragh of Kildare act of 1969 extended the 1961 act and incorporated many of the 1964 byelaws, thereby putting them on the statute book. The Irish Bloodstock Industry The Curragh is at the heart of the Irish bloodstock industry, and due to an enlightened and supportive approach by the department of defence, the management of the Turf Club , and the expertise of our trainers, the Curragh training grounds have developed into a world-renowned training centre, and a major source of employment, using indigenous skills and talents. In addition to the training stables mentioned earlier, numerous large stud farms, including the National stud, have developed on the fringes of the Curragh with the consequent spin off effect into the local economy. Approximately 26% of the horses trained in Ireland are trained on the Curragh, and it is not unreasonable to apply the same percentage to employment levels. Horses trained on the Curragh have won major races world wide in countries as diverse as England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, America, Canada, and Australian with both 1993 Melbourne Cup winner Vintage Crop and Media Puzzle, winner of the same race in 2002, both trained by Dermot Weld on the Curragh. Other recent notable Curragh successes include Champion Hurdle winner Hardy Eustace, Epsom Derby winner Sinndar, Alamshar and Grey Swallow, both winners of the Irish Derby, Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Davy Lady together with Breeders Cup winner Ridgewood Pearl The following trainers are located at the Curragh: Ms. M. Dowdall Blake, Richard Brabazon, Martin Brassil, Martin Browne, James Burrns, John J. Coleman, Ms Tracey Collins, Ms Sheena Collins, Ken Condon, Jimmy Coogan, Ms. Francis Crowley, P.D. Deegan, Francis Ennis, Seamus Fahey, Bill Farrell, Alan Fleming, Michael Flynn, Noel Furlong, A. Gannon, Declan Gillespie, Jim Gorman, Michael Grassick, Michael Halford, Edward P. Harty, Miss Sabrina Joan Harty, John Hayden, Comdt. W.S.Hayes, Mrs Seamus Hayes, Peter Henley, Dessie Hughes, Emmanuel Hughes, Ms. Caroline Hutchinson, Mrs Valerie Keatley, Dermot Kelly, Enda Kelly, James J. Kelly, Maria Kelly, A. Kinsella, John Kirwan, Frank Lacy, Bernard Lawlor, Noel Lawlor, James Leavy, Paul Magnier, Miss J McDowell, Patrick Morris, John Mulhern, Samuel Murphy, David P. Myerscough, Gerard O'Leary, Robbie Osborne, John M. Oxx, Christopher Phillips, Kevin Prendergast, Patrick Prendergast, John A. Quinn, T.A.Regan, Christy Roche, Liam Roche, Mark Roper, Eamon Tyrrell, Dermot Weld and Frank Oakes.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 Top Card I think English trainers can win plenty of euros here today so have taken them to win the first three races ZERO TOLERANCE 7/1 NORTHERN DARE 7/1 DESERT LORD 10/1 and thrown in JUMBAJUKIBA 7/2 who is back over a mile for a lucky 15 bet.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 2.40 Benbaun goes very well indeed at the Curragh with form figures of 211221111, with three of those wins coming in Group races. Won a Group 1 at Longchamp at the end of last season and although disappointing at Ascot earlier in the month (finished 7th) on his reappearance after stumbling at the start, the switch back to favoured surroundings should hopefully see him in the winners enclosure again. 9/4 3.50 Tartan Bearer proved in the English Derby that he stays this far and with New Approach now a NR, should confirm placings with Casual Conquest again. 11/10

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 1.30 Zero Tolerance 7/1 var bog 7.5 pts e.w. so tricky these types of races with loads of runners but also different kind of form but an interesting runner comes from these shores. A very decent horse on his day, he was rated in the 100s for some time and has bolted up in a listed race before when getting favoured softer ground. There is little doubt he lost his form last year but as a result he is now off a mark of just 82 which he has shown to be really competitive off. Second at Bev by a narrow margin, he then seemed a bit unlucky and even eye cathing when constantly being unable to get the gaps in a good handicap a couple of days ago at newc. There should be a bit of cut in the ground still today and place chances with moore on board. 2.40 Benbaun 9/4 avr bog 15 pts. the ultimate curragh horse here, record at here reads 9 starts, 6 wins and 3 seconds and for a sprinter that is an awesome record . Round here has almost been unbeatable and he is a good horse in general, won group 1 last year in france ahead of kingsgate native and has had ok if not really spectaculor runs so far this season. The doubt is the ground, generally he likes it good and there could be a bit of cut today, certainly wont be lightening fast and even though he won his group 1 on gd-sft last year really it wasnt that ground. even still he seems a class above these and good enough to win this with a penalty, myboycharlie I dont see as a 5f horse myself. 3.50 Tartan Bearer 11/10 var bog 25 pts (stakes raised a bit) At epsom I backed both this one and the winner and it couldnt have worked out much better. This one ran another blinder to be second, delivered by moore perfectly I thought to win his race and just caught out by one exceptional horse who had the form coming into the race, even so Tartan Bearer was fighting all the way to the line just like Golan so often did. If NA would have turned up I would be on TB anyway because this is such a progressive animal, in May it was still winning a maiden, shows can handle a touch of cut, then it won the dante, just doing enough as its still is and then it progressed again in the derby, the run of frozen fire (close behind at york), may not have truly run its race but even still gives an indication of its improvement. Looks a really nice horse and capable of landing an irish derby today. Of the challengers casual conquest could be feared most but Im not sure he can overturn the form with TB and that goes for the rest of them too.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 1.30 I backed Zero Tolerance LTO and I wasn't totally happy with his ride. Yard among the winners recently and he is well handicapped (see previous post). Good jockey booking. Celtic Dane has a chance on his Irish Lincoln form and is back to a mile here. I saw Belle Noverre run over 10f 2 runs ago and she should've won, inexperienced jokcey was caught napping. Travelled like a dream that day and I think she is better suited to a mile. Zero Tolerance 45% of stake 6.4 betfair Belle Noverre 30% of stake 15 betfair Celtic Dane 25% of stake 15 betfair and combos

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 2.40 Tax Free's best form is in small fields. In fields of 11 or less runners his form reads: 11111122211, if we look further we see that in fields of 8 or less runners (as today) his form reads: 111. If the going were quicker he'd be a cast-iron E/W bet. I will still be having a decent E/W bet on him here though. Looks as though 9/2 is going to be available on course.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08

Event 3.50 Curragh
Selection Washington Irving (Each-Way)
Strength 3/10
Date 29/06/2008
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 19.00 (Back)
Reasoning Looked one of O Briens better 2 year olds, but lost his way a bit at the start of his 3 year old campaign. He was destroyed by Casual Conquest on his seasonal bow, but clearly improved for that when running creditably in the Derby. I think he is improving with age, and has to be respected for the master trainer. Without New Approach, this is a slightly easier race and I think Washington is more than capable of sneaking a place.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08

2.40 Tax Free's best form is in small fields. In fields of 11 or less runners his form reads: 11111122211, if we look further we see that in fields of 8 or less runners (as today) his form reads: 111. If the going were quicker he'd be a cast-iron E/W bet. I will still be having a decent E/W bet on him here though. Looks as though 9/2 is going to be available on course.
:nana He loves these small fields.

Re: Curragh 29/6/08 I backed Tartan Bearer and feel a bit unlucky but at the same time I do not feel terribly unlucky because on the day I do believe that the best horse probably won. The shame about it is that because of Alessandra Volta's actions we dont know that categorically because Tartan Bearer and Curtain Call's chances were severely compromised by effectively being taken out. However the winner, who had form with TB before hand but then performed poorly at Epsom and also had been effectively rejected by Murtagh on both occasions for seemingly 'average' other horses, went away at the line (mind you it was one of the only horses at the time to have the opportunity to do so.)