Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2

Grex

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 ..... just trying to get to grips with your workings Grex, having already prodded myself to keep awake.Can you explain further to us dodo's by means of an example on how you arrive at a prospective selection.Might help us follow more closely.Cheers.Merlin.;)

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 ..... cheers fella, not been nosey, just genuinely interested in following your selections and well laid out colouring board, and thought that I needed to know something on the selection process.Besides not too many others appear to be interested judging by the lack of response.Cheers.:ok

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Hi Grex, nice progress! If I understand the strategy behind the system correctly...wouldn't that mean that also teams with ratings +2.0/+1.0 would represent a 33.3%difference, same as +0.2/+0.1 or +40.0/+80.0? But the teams around rating 0 should be approximately of equal strength, on the other hand, a +80 rating can only involve teams like Chelsea, Man Utd,...?

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Hi, Robkor...... yes, I take your point. However, the PR ratings very rarely throw up such low values as +2.0/+1.0 or 0.2/0.1. For example, in the current 365stats listing for all leagues, the Home teams are within the range 10.3 to 95.0, and the Aways from 13.0 to 79.0. The "sum" of Home and Away team ratings for each match is within the range 39.7 to 139.0. So, I don't think the extreme examples you quote will ever happen. I adopted this "percentage" approach basically because it produced better results than taking the simple "sum" of the ratings for each match. Of course, Paul Ross' method of producing the ratings is a closely-guarded secret, so it is impossible to put any logic behind either approach. Thanks anyway, Robkor, for your comments..... nice to know somebody is taking an interest.... :ok... by the way, you're not far away from where I'm based..... a 40 minute flight with Adria Airlines ;)

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 I wouldn't say that my ratings are a closely guarded secret as such, but of course I don't want the exact details out. They are based on attacking play, the only logical way you do ratings like these. The secret if any is what points you bring into that and how do you weight them. I believe in making the ratings simple, I can assure you they are too. Good luck Grex. :ok

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 A quick question for Paul Ross..... my backtesting is based on 2 sets of historical PR Ratings: A) between September 2005 and April 2006 B) from February 2008 to the present When I do my back-testing I notice a drammatic difference in performance (particulary for "Aways") between the 2 sets of data... the more recent data produces better performance (apart from last weekend, of course!). My question is... did you change the method of calculating the ratings between April 2006 and February 2008 ????.... or perhaps it's just another inexplicable statistical "quirk".

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2

I don't believe I changed anything in that period. I was obviously tweaking it at the very beginning, but haven't touched the method since then. I believe very much in having the draw on my side.
Thanks.... regarding the "draw factor", I will do some more back-testing to determine the effect of covering the draw.

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Hi grex, good to see your results improving. My Value bets system is also based loosely on the Paul Ross Ratings System and it is showing a yield on fixed stakes of 5.8%, but the AWAYS is yielding 13% on its own so there is definitely better results in focussing on the Aways. Good luck for this weekend.

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 On the issue of "covering the draw"..... some interesting facts :zzz BEFORE Draw Cover: "Homes & Aways" Bets 25 "Homes & Aways" yield -6.4% :( "Aways only" Bets 22 "Aways only" yield -18.4% :$ AFTER Draw Cover: "Homes & Aways" Bets 11 "Homes & Aways" yield -0.3% :tongue2 "Aways only" Bets 16 "Aways only" yield +9.4% :loon I know the vast improvement is not all down to the change of system (i.e. "luck" probably plays an important part + fewer number of bets).... but as Paul Ross said in an earlier post on this thread.... "I believe very much in having the draw on my side"..... looks like he could be right :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Thanks, averick, for your suggestion. Yes, I have spot-checked the DNB odds alternative, but there seems little advantage. Anyway, in order to run the system, I have to download all the 1-X-2 odds from Bet365, so it's simpler for me to apply the Draw Cover method. By the way, for some reason 365stats is not quoting any ratings for Spanish Primera league this weekend.... I'm not sure why, because it has a full programme. Perhaps PR is getting tired ;)

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2

Thanks, averick, for your suggestion. Yes, I have spot-checked the DNB odds alternative, but there seems little advantage. Anyway, in order to run the system, I have to download all the 1-X-2 odds from Bet365, so it's simpler for me to apply the Draw Cover method. By the way, for some reason 365stats is not quoting any ratings for Spanish Primera league this weekend.... I'm not sure why, because it has a full programme. Perhaps PR is getting tired ;)
365stats isn't my site, and I couldn't get that fixed in time. :( I'll be adding the ratings to my other site www.freebetsgalore.com at some point, but it could be a while yet, then I have full control.:ok

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Good to know your "homes" are producing dividends..... you probably have a more straight-forward selection method than I used. But I notice that back-testing data on over 3,000 matches consistently shows that "aways" are more reliable. I wish you continued success.

Re: Yet Another Paul Ross Ratings System - Part 2 Grex, I don't use Paul Ross ratings, but I use what I guess is a similar approach and my aways yesterday were: Stockport Northampton Lyon Leverkusen Cardiff Tranmere Torquay Dortmund (Friday night) So there is a fair amount of overlap - although I didn't do as well as you did. It will be interesting to compare over the coming months.