** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter

Set to re-appear in the Game Spirit Chase. If anywhere near back to his best in time for Cheltenham, he could be the bet of the meeting in the Champion Chase in my opinion as we all know Moscow Flyer has retired and there is certainly no horse in the lineup near the ability of the mighty Moscow. Any views?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Well Chief

Set to re-appear in the Game Spirit Chase. If anywhere near back to his best in time for Cheltenham, he could be the bet of the meeting in the Champion Chase in my opinion as we all know Moscow Flyer has retired and there is certainly no horse in the lineup near the ability of the mighty Moscow. Any views?
only 1 Voy per ustedes jumps like a stag & has all the ability to take the QM chase. Wont mind being taken on & i think its between the 2 of them this year after a weak race last year. :ok

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter

As you know, my only bet currently at Cheltenham is Aran Concerto for the RSA Hurdle. Got on at 25/1, now available at only 7/2. Really hope it makes it fit and well, will take all the beating.
Don't want to dampen your hopes mate but Ive got two words for you.... SWEET WAKE :ok

As you know, my only bet currently at Cheltenham is Aran Concerto for the RSA Hurdle. Got on at 25/1, now available at only 7/2. Really hope it makes it fit and well, will take all the beating.
Yes Russ as you know i'm involved in this aswell. That was my only Cheltenham, before this weekend ive now decieded go in heavy on Cailin Alialin @11.0 on BF. Ive also done aload of daft £2 win bets at big prices that probally wont run let alone win. Champion Bumper - Tot o whisky@ 29.0 Chapion Chase - Cloone River @ 90.0 , Watson Lake @60.0 Champion Hurdle - Jazz Messenger @ 30. Supreme Novices - Crocidile Dundee @60, Astarador @48.0

I'm going to lay Kauto Star...for me it makes mistakes in the latter stages of races and if he hits a Cheltenham fence like he hit the one at Kempton on Boxing Day that horse is on it's arse.
:welcome billboard, there's plenty on here to see, take a look around:ok I tipped up KS in October to win the the KG & so it did. I also put my neck on the block to say it wont win the Gold cup. I will be posting up some stats to back up my opinion. Cheltenham form counts treble at this course. Think back War of Attrition & Best Mate both had Cheltenham form coming into their respective wins in this great race. My selections at Cheltenham are always based on course form & trends, therefore i doubt Kauto star will make the final 3 in my calculations.

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter I only had two bets all weekend on the gee gees....Exotic Dancer and Hardey Eustace. Superb running from both. I've been having a look at some anti post action. Kauto Star is a false favourite for me is I've layed right into it, no Cheltenham win under it's belt, prone to mistakes and it's either Exotic Dancer or War of Atticiton for the big one. I've sided with Exotic Dancer as it has course form. Also done an early 2 quid win lucky 15. Hardey Eustace - Champion Hurdle 5/1 Exotic Dance - Gold Cup 10/1 Voy Por Ustedes - Champion Chase Black Jack ketchum - World Hurdle Can't wait for Cheltenham this year, I was thinking the favourites were going to romp it but some others have thrown their hat into the ring.:cheers

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter Billboard, be careful with the aftertiming on what bets you had. Its not seen as good practice as there is no post from you regarding those 2 winners you backed. Well done, any person who manages to be that strict & have 2 bets over a heavy weekend card. Onto the gold cup, i know from a previous post that you are in the same camp as me in laying Kauto. I will put a piece on here regarding the Gold Cup over the next few days which after adding filters, trends etc, it only leaves 1 selection. I hope it makes interesting reading.

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter I am very strict on my betting....that was the 1st action since the KG then it before that it was the breeder's cup. Don't often bet on anything outside of group 1. Yeh I look forward to that spread sheet. I'm looking into festival laying at the moment. 5 year olds don't fair that well in the champion hurdle so I'm thinking of laying Detriot City....any thoughts?

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter My thoughts at this stage. Hardy Eustace for a 3rd Champion Hurdle Should have beaten Detroit City in December and went down fighting. Just failed to get back up despite Detroit having the run of the race. Has improved again since then and he is fully back to his best now. Devours the Cheltenham hill and he is the one to beat in my eyes. Well Chief for Champion Chase Ive backed Accordion Etoile at 16/1 but will be lumping on Well Chief if he returns from his injury fit and well. Hopefully we will see him in the Game Spirit and if anywhere near back to his best he will walk all over this field. There is no Moscow Flyers around this time around. Ashley Brook is interesting however and seems to be seriously underrated. INGLIS DREVER for a 2nd World Hurdle NAP NAP NAP of the meeting. How is this 5/1 2nd fav behind the overhyped dodgepot Black Jack Ketchum. Was only 14 months ago Inglis started 4/9 against the great Baracouda and he beat him with ease. He has done nothing wrong and is proven against the best. Two cracking runs on a return from a serious injury, he should be fully wound up come the festival. He is different class from these at his best and is the bet of the meeting.

Nah mate' date=' I'm pretty sure it's not eligible:unsure , and I certainly find it amongst the betting[/quote'] Sweet Wake was Meades best horse he has ever trained last year and it has turned out to be useless. Just beware with Aran Concerto is all im saying. He has alot of bridle horses and it takes plenty of courage to get up that hill with 60'000 people roaring from the stands!

Sweet Wake was Meades best horse he has ever trained last year and it has turned out to be useless. Just beware with Aran Concerto is all im saying. He has alot of bridle horses and it takes plenty of courage to get up that hill with 60'000 people roaring from the stands!
Fair enough mate:ok I know what you're saying about bridle horses, but I'm on 25's so I'm happy with that. Good luck with Inglis Drever....think it will go close too.

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter Ah, sorry didn't know you were on at 25/1. That is a fair price but couldnt touch it with a bargepole at 7/2 as the novice events are always very competitive. Yep cheers with Inglis. I swear I think it should be close to 6/4fav looking at the opposition.

Fair enough mate:ok I know what you're saying about bridle horses, but I'm on 25's so I'm happy with that. Good luck with Inglis Drever....think it will go close too.
on the other hand thats why i backed Carberry on Nicanor last season who pissed up who rides Aran? Carberry is the master at bridle horses :ok

on the other hand thats why i backed Carberry on Nicanor last season who pissed up who rides Aran? Carberry is the master at bridle horses :ok
:nana Too bloody true! By the way, where's this Gold Cup winner you have for us?;)

:nana Too bloody true! By the way, where's this Gold Cup winner you have for us?;)
its nearly there, have gone back to 1996 & have some good trends to consider. Need to get it all written up as I am sending it off to the press to see what they think. maybe by the weekend ! Need to get it public though before Kauto runs next time.

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter I'm jumping on the "oppose Kauto Star" bandwagon - Its hard to over-emphasise just how important a confident round of jumping is at Cheltenham and a glance through Kauto's form doesnt really inspire confidence. He has no course form and fell at last years Festival after warming up for the race with a couple of error strewn runs. He clearly has the talent to win this race but asking people to take 6/4 isnt on. Last years winner War of Attrition has had an almost identical preparation this time round and has done little wrong in any of them, He looks to be in decent form, should have his preferred good ground in March and is now an ideal age for this race. He looks on the big side to me at 7.0 betfair. The Listener would interest me if conditions are on the soft side of good- he has some great form lines through Star du Mohaison and also beat War of Attrition last time out when taking advantage of the soft ground conditions. The trainer has suggested he will not run if the ground is on the firm side which is a slight concern. Someone pointed out last years carnage at the Ferstival and there is every chance the ground will be watered if it gets too quick. If lining up, expect him to be shorter than either the 18.5 available on betfair or 14/1 with willhill if you want to go each way. State of Play caught my eye and has many of the credentials required to run a big race but has never run at Cheltenham before and there is also a nagging doubt that he will be found out as being just short of top class. This race would easily be his toughest assignment but as a bigger priced each way option i wouldnt put anyone off. The RFO have put up In Compliance as their Ante Post bet, but despite beating War of Attrition impressively last time, that was over 2m 4f, and there are major stamina doubts over this one for me. He has the breeding to stay the trip but thats not enough to tempt me to back him. Exotic Dancer can be backed at 10/1 with Victor Chandlers and will be a popular alternative to Kauto Star after his 2nd in the King George and his impressive victory last time out, beating Our Vic by 18 lengths. He is clearly extremely progressive and looks to have a not dissimilar profile to last years winner War of Attrition but he allowed Kauto 2 blunders at Kempton and was still pretty comfortably beaten so I'm not sure he's up to winning this but as an each way wager, I wouldnt put anyone off. Plenty of form at Cheltenham too. Anyway, my first Cheltenham wagers goes on: WAR OF ATTRITION to follow up last years victory in the Gold Cup @ 7.0 betfair THE LISTENER as the best each way value @ 14/1 william hill

Carberry is the master at bridle horses :ok
:loon You have a short memory bowles. 2005 Champion Hurdle ring any bells? Ill give you a bigger clue HARCHIBALD! :rollin :rollin :rollin (nah, seriously he didn't do anything wrong, just the horse didn't get up the hill like ole Hardy Eustace!... Carberry did look silly that day but every real racing fan knows he was not to blame.)

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter From seeing Detroit City today I've not really changed my opinion that he won't win the champion hurdle. Hardy Eustace or Brave Inca would have punished the mistake he make today in the closing stages and it's the second time I've seen him this season when he's looked shaky in the final stages of a race. Hardy Eustace all the way for me in the champion hurdle. :nana

Re: Countdown to Cheltenham - Bets & Banter At 40/1, Monets Garden must still have an EW chance in the GC. Admittedly, need to forgive a very poor run in the King George but previous to that, looked a star in the making and, importantly, has run well at the festival before. If forgetting KG run, still a horse on the upgrade and would be less than half the odds it is now. The 2nd in the Arkle last year makes this a cracking EW bet for me at Skybet's 40/1. Saying that, it wouldn't surprise me to see War Of Attrition regain its crown. Looking forward to Bowles' much awaited write up:ok