Next England manager

Re: Next England manager The other advantage of appointing either of those 2 AK, would be that neither would be likely to cause any embarassement to the FA with their off the field antics!! I do feel however that if experience doesn't matter, then Psycho would be more likely than Shearer.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Next England manager Good lad Gibson - let him go to manage England- i need the money :lol From sporting life...... GIBSON WON'T STAND IN McCLAREN WAY By Jim van Wijk, PA Sport

More Middlesbrough Stories
bluearrowright.gifDAVIES ON A HIGH AFTER RETURN
bluearrowright.gifBORO READY FOR TOUGH CUP MISSION
bluearrowright.gifMcCLAREN CONFIDENT OF GOOD FINISH
bluearrowright.gifBORO WAIT ON BOATENG
bluearrowright.gifHASSELBAINK BACK WITH A BANG
Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson would not stand in the way of Steve McClaren should he be asked to become the next England manager, but hopes the Boro boss will see out his new contract with the Barclays Premiership club. The Football Association have reacted to intense speculation about the next head coach of the national team by insisting they have not made any approaches to any individual or club over who will take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson after the World Cup. McClaren, currently assistant to the Swede, Martin O'Neill, Stuart Pearce, Alan Curbishley, Sam Allardyce, Fabio Capello and Dutchman Guus Hiddink are among names suggested as likely successors. And Boro chairman Gibson knows should the 44-year-old be asked to step up and take on the head coach role on a full-time basis, it would be too strong of a lure to ignore. "I would not stand in Steve McClaren's way. When your country comes calling, you have got to answer the call," Gibson said on BBC Radio Five Live Sportsweek programme. "But there are a lot of English managers who that is being applied to at the moment - there is Alan Curbishley, Sam Allardyce, Stuart Pearce. It is up and down every day depending on the last result. "The FA have got a little bit more foresight than that, and the people who are looking at this are good people and will get the decision right." The Middlesbrough chairman added: "It is up to the FA to choose who they have as manager, I do not have any influence on it, nor do I want any. "My own personal preference is for a British manager. "We have a great group of players representing England, and hopefully the right man can be found who will mould them into a real world power." By their recent standards, the current Barclays Premiership campaign has been a disappointing one for the Teessiders. Boro are currently battling to avoid being dragged into a relegation dogfight, although the shock win over Chelsea at the Riverside earlier this month has been followed up by UEFA Cup success away to Stuttgart providing signs things are slowly improving. Gibson is in no doubt McClaren remains the right man to take the north-east club forwards, but understands that journey is not always a smooth one. "He is in his fifth year, and in that time we have finished in our highest-ever league position and have won our first major trophy in the Carling Cup. Under Steve McClaren, we have been on an upward curve," Gibson said. "However this year, as in all things, we have had a bit of a blip - and you don't go ending honourable contracts because you are having a bad spell. "That is not just down to Steve McClaren. It is team-work - from the players, the coaches, me, the supporters. We are all involved in it and have to take a look as to why it has happened." The Boro chairman added: "Steve knows football is a performance and a results business, and if you stop getting the results, whether you are a forward, chairman or manager, then there are consequences. "He is more than okay - he has just signed an extension to his contract for three years. "The next two weeks will define our season, we could be riding high or very low, but that is football." Gibson reflected: "After the defeat by Aston Villa, when there was a lot of pressure on Steve, he handled it with great dignity, worked extremely hard and with the rewards we have had since then in beating Chelsea and Stuttgart, I am pleased for Steve."

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Next England manager

National newspaper reports today suggested a possible Stuart Pearce-Alan Curbishley partnership with Sir Trevor Brooking as director of football.
I wonder how the bookies would pay out if this happend. I still think Big Sam will get this.Top man and TBH the only step forward for him.

Re: Next England manager Sticking my neck out...

Sport Football (Internationals)
Event Next England Manager
Selection Stuart Pearce
Strength 3/10
Date 14/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price BetDirect @ 10.00 (Back)
Reasoning I said right from the start the Pschyo would be the next England manager when he was given the job at City. Sure he has no experience but I really do think the FA want someone who a) has no contract b) has no history and c) will give the players a kick up the backside. Also I'm hearing a lot from my sources in Manchester about him going. Worth a shilling or two.

• 3 weeks later...

UH-OH!! They've let the crazies out again....'Big Phil' Scolari's been approached apparently. http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/03/19/SOCCER_England_Scolari.html
Scolari wont do it,He can hardly speak English:lol heard on the radio today that 3 are the main candidates Steve Mc and MON being 2 of them.
It is believed there may be no non-British contenders on the shortlist that could include ex-Celtic manager Martin O'Neill and Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren. Bolton boss Sam Allardyce and Alan Curbishley of Charlton are the other names thought to be in the frame. If that is the case it would mean that the likes of Australia and PSV Eindhoven boss Guus Hiddink, Fabio Capello of Juventus and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari will not be part of the formal interview process.

Re: Next England manager Not so unbelievable really Socky. He's been in the england setup for a long time now, will have learned an awful lot in that time. He has also come through one of the toughest spells of his management career recently and not only come through it, but blasted his was out of the other side by getting Boro to safety in the Prem and a possible UEFA Cup, FA Cup. I think it's between Mclaren & O'Neill now and I think McLaren will get it personally. We could do a lot worse. :ok

Re: Next England manager I think McClaren will get it now as well. Not a bad appointment, not great but about as good as we can get it appears, I am a bit concerned that his team lingers round the relegation despite him having a lot of money but at the end of the day you cant sign players at international level and its all about man-management and tactics.

Re: Next England manager They dont appear to be queing up for it though do they Paul?? I cant even remember the last manager who publicly has put themselves in the hat. Most managers prefer the domestic scene to the international stage anyway these days which is why we getting so many sub standard inexperienced international managers all over the place. (Van Basten, Klinnsmann, etc) International management just cant compete with the lure of them Domestic game these days.

They dont appear to be queing up for it though do they Paul?? I cant even remember the last manager who publicly has put themselves in the hat. Most managers prefer the domestic scene to the international stage anyway these days which is why we getting so many sub standard inexperienced international managers all over the place. (Van Basten, Klinnsmann, etc) International management just cant compete with the lure of them Domestic game these days.
You've got a point, I admit. But if Russia can get Hiddink why can't we get someone of a similar stature?

Re: Next England manager I think it will be much of the same if McLaren gets it, he pretty much coaches the squad now anyway. Its a good appointment for continuity purposes anyway. And i make a decent profit :nana :lol An interesting point is that the FA want to announce the appointment before the World Cup. Now, assuming they go for McLaren, what happens if England bomb at the World Cup and go out early? As part of the coaching set up, that surely would put McLaren under pressure from the start of his reign.... :unsure

Re: Next England manager Thers alot of rumours going around Middlesbrough, and in national press, and now on Sky sports News, that The FA has appionted sMac as England manager, and hes reported to have told the Boro players that hes leaving at the end of the season. Also, Oniel has been seen with Steve Gibson (Middlesbrough Chairman) on several occasions. And theres talk he will replace Smac when he goes to england. All speculation, but i can see alot of truth in it.

Re: Next England manager Hmmm. The FA appears to be just as bad as Portsmouth FC and Newcastle United. Phil Scolari, eh? Well, I never. Whoever it is, it probably won't be revealed until after England's exit at the World Cup. ....imagine if England get knocked out early and the FA whips this out as their announcement!? The tabloids will go ballistically bananas!! :eek