Betfred Forum Challenge

GaF

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Betfred Forum Challenge Have a read of this too oh clever long haired one. ;) Alexa Internet is a company dedicated to “making a better internet”, but as Bytesector has found in the last 6 months, a better internet seems to be hurting people more than its helping. The main attraction of Alexa is the traffic ranking system which provides users with basic traffic information about almost any website. Type in the address (or perform a search) and Alexa places a link beside each result called “Site info”. Clicking on the site info brings you to a page about that site with data compiled by the Alexa engine. It provides information about traffic details, the speed at which the site is improving its traffic rank, the number of other sites that link to the site in question, the amount of pop-ups, the date the site came into existence and other nifty information that has an appeal to interested visitors. As we will see here, this might not be providing users with accurate information, in fact it might even be referred to as misinformation. Why does Bytesector care about the Alexa traffic ranking? Bytesector has a vested interest in the Alexa traffic rank. We run a review website where we must contact companies for products. Naturally, they receive more requests for their products than they have units to send out. This presents a problem for many companies and they usually ask for traffic information about the site and other details about their reviewing process. This is the information with which they base their decision on. Some other companies though have discovered the Alexa traffic ranks and use them as a guide to send out evaluation units. They do not care about whether these traffic ranks ARE accurate, but rather take them at face value and accept that they are correct. Bytesector has been caught more than once by this ranking system and we have suffered the consequences of a bad traffic rank. pic1.jpg Our case You might wonder why we are complaining about the Alexa traffic rank? It’s a valid question and deserves a valid answer. Between January and October of 2003, Bytesectors traffic rank took huge jumps from a rank above 200,000 to below 70,000. We were in 7th heaven and worked to continue our constant rise. Soon after, our traffic rank started to do funny things. We started to receive funny one day ranks of “—“ and “n/a”. What did this all mean? We soon found out; our 3 month rank started to increase and soon we were at 130,000 (from 69,000)! This was not good, but what was wrong? Our traffic statistics (according to the raw log files) were positive and showed huge jumps in our traffic. We have more than tripled our traffic since last October and yet, our traffic rank still resides above 100,000! How the Alexa ranking system works No thanks to the Alexa crew, I have a description of how the Alexa traffic ranks are determined. Alexa, the website, tracks every user who passes through the site on their way to another website. They track how many pages they visit on the destination website and other information which is then compiled and forms the daily traffic ranks. Why is this inaccurate? It is VERY obvious! There are many search engines available on the internet, among them are Google, Yahoo, Altavista and many others. If the traffic ranks are determined by people passing through the Alexa search engine, then it cannot be representative of a website’s popularity. Bytesector receives MORE than 30% of referrals from Google. Our pages are highly ranked in Google. This, of course, doesn’t help our traffic rank if someone comes to our site through Google and not Alexa. My Remarks Well, you would think that after contacting Alexa and inquiring about these problems that they would have taken an immediate interest in the apparent inaccuracy of their traffic ranking system. They didn’t! After sending several emails to them over the course of the last 5 months, I have received 0 responses (with the exception of an automated response message that was completely useless). I thought that Alexa might have been interested in knowing that I was writing this article; I was hoping that they could explain the method with which traffic ranks are determined, but no such luck either. They are hurting sites that depend upon their traffic rank to continue to be successful. It is self-evident that the Alexa staff are there to provide a service, but they don’t care about customer satisfaction. After presenting the facts, I must conclude that the Alexa traffic rank is a very POOR way of deciding whether a site is successful and is worth doing business with (or even visiting for that matter). We hope that this article has been an eye opener for companies and individuals alike. We are not trying to cause a boycott, but rather alert people to the inaccuracy of this rather popular ranking system.

Re: Betfred Forum Challenge

TQM, A lot of lies, rumours and nasty pisstaking of for example Osesame when he was ill is why they aren't mentioned. They have their forum, and PL has a far superior forum because we have no egos in the current PL Team, unlike the people connected to tdp. ;)
Thanks for the reply Paul, Still don't understand what you're talking about when you mention Osesame being ill?:unsure (means nothing to a relative newbie like me) Had a wee look into the daily punt forum for first time tonight to see what the fuss was about - thought it was very similar to this forum to be honest!! I assume that it was formed by former members of this forum? Seems to a lot of hatred and bad feeling flying about between the two forums. :( I'm sure most of us will continue to use the site of our choice! :ok

Re: Betfred Forum Challenge I'm sure you do agree Paul, whatever the case with the Alexa rankings that TDP has been far more succesful than you expected. By the way, why the hell should I believe what you posted there? For all I know you could have written it yourself :lol

Re: Betfred Forum Challenge Absolutely TQM. I also joined PL after the split - what happened happened before I arrived, and was nothing to do with me (and I knew nothing about it for a while) - however they've made me a target for abuse, purely "guilty by association" - there are some very bitter people over there and they will abuse anyone over here, just for being over here....

Re: Betfred Forum Challenge

Absolutely TQM. I also joined PL after the split - what happened happened before I arrived, and was nothing to do with me (and I knew nothing about it for a while) - however they've made me a target for abuse, purely "guilty by association" - there are some very bitter people over there and they will abuse anyone over here, just for being over here....
I personally have no problem with anyone who posts over here (some at TDP do I agree), but I just think that deletion of the forum name etc. is a bit extreme. If you're so confident that people will prefer this place, what's the point. And I try to invite people to play in a friendly poker game - it's deleted, even with no reference to, or invitation of players from TDP.