Racing chat-friday 25th August (york day 3)

Nunthorpe fully rated 

Highfield princess 9.0 13/8 

Regional      8.7 

Bit of a funny one this race as I have a 10pt  ew ante post bet on Regional at 16/1  as I really fancied it for this race a few weeks ago then it was tipped up on sporting life for same reasons I liked so I jumped on 

Overall though Highfield princess has the form and fitness advantage so us the most likely winner....Regional is coming off a 70 day layoff which could be good(freshened up ready )....or bad (not fit enough for this level) ......but in his favour  he is improving rapidly just in time for the race with possibly more to come .....I could edge my bets on fav but I'm happy to take a chance at odds I got and just stick with Regional....  I still think he's value though at 10/1 ....that's still too big imo ....classy race 

*edit ....and now been drawn right next to each other in ideal 6 and 7 so that's made the race even more interesting 😀 

Edited by richard-westwood

• richard-westwood changed the title to Racing chat-friday 25th August (york day 3)
York 1.50
Todays fayre kicks off with a fifteen runner 1m 4F Heritage Handicap run over 1M 4F. Ralph Beckett is having a stellar season and his three year old Balance Play can complete a hat trick of victories following success’s at Chester and Goodwood rising some 12lb in the weights. He still looks some way ahead of his mark and stepping up a furlong today looks sure to suit. Hector Crouch has ridden the chestnut on both of his wins and retains the ride today in which the Fahey horse Wootton’Sun can also run well.

BALANCE PLAY 1 point win @ 4/1 Betfred

York 2.25
Just seven line up for the 2M 56 yard Group 2 Lonsdale Cup which features five that ran in the Goodwood Cup where Hughie Morrison’s stable star Quickthorn ran them ragged. He did the same in this race last year winning by 14 lengths but you would think that the other jockeys will be very much on alert this time around not to give him too much rope. Andrew Balding’s Coltrane is ultra consistent having finished runner up in the Ascot Gold Cup over half a mile further to the re-opposing Courage Mon Ami, beaten just 3/4L and is today 4lb better off. He looks sure to run his race and he’s a tentative pick.

COLTRANE 1 point win @ 11/4 William Hill

York 3.00
The Group 2 Gimcrack Stakes for two year old colts and geldings features ten promising sprinting juveniles with no stand out pick. There is question marks against a few of the leading ones in the market here and it maybe worth taking a chance on the once raced maiden winner King’s Gamble trained by the very much in form Ralph Beckett. A son of Kingman he ran out a cosy winner of a Newmarket novice stakes on his debut earlier this month and although this is a big step up he can repay an each way wager by hitting the frame at least.

KING’S GAMBLE 1 point each way @ 9/1 BetVictor 1/5th 123

York 3.35
A great renewal of the Group One Coolmore Wootton Bassett Nunthorpe Stakes, run over the minimum trip of 5F. The two year old Big Evs is a very interesting runner getting so much weight from all and it will be no shock were he to run a big race here. The pick though has to be John Quinn’s super mare Highfield Princess who took this field apart last year coming home 2 1/2L to the good from last year’s two year old The Platinum Queen. She looked as good as ever when blitzing her field in the King George Stakes at Goodwood and will be very hard to beat here.

HIGHFIELD PRINCESS 3 points win @ 6/4 bet365

York 4.10
A valuable 12 1/2F fillies handicap is next up with last year’s runner up Amanzoe heading the weights although she hasn’t been seen since but is not without claims. Owen Burrows is having an excellent season and can take this tricky contest with his three year old Rowayeh who takes a step up two furlongs to a mile and a quarter today for the first time. She’s very much a Shadwell horse on breeding and there’s no reason to think she won’t stay this far on that score. A dual winner earlier in the season she wasn’t disgraced when third in a valuable Goodwood handicap at the beginning of the month, form which has already been boosted by the runner up Novus winning since.

ROWAYEH 1 point win @ 11/4 bet365

York 4.45
The most valuable maiden run this year is the Convivial maiden which sees fifteen promising two year old’s assemble over 7F. Six of the fifteen are debutants and worth monitoring in the market but the pick here is Ollie Sangster’s Kings Valley who showed up really well on his racecourse debut when third to the subsequent listed winner Arabian Crown, beaten 3L at Sandown. The son of Territories was very green that day and with that run under his belt can go close today as long as his draw on the wing in stall 14 is not an inconvenience.

KINGS VALLEY 1 point win @ 7/2 bet365

York 5.15
Day three’s card finishes with a twelve runner 1M three year old handicap featuring a dozen horses. The most unexposed horse and one that’s worth giving a chance to is the Roger Varian trained Enfjaar. He looked another Shadwell owned horse of immense potential when bolting up at Chelmsford on the all-weather back in May, coming home 6L to the good from his ten rivals. He took a step up in grade a month later when running in the Group 3 Jersey Stakes dropping in trip to 7F. that may have been his undoing when only finishing a slightly disappointing eleventh of 15 (beaten 9 1/4L). Back to a mile and in a handicap for the first time, this Lope De Vega colt can get himself back into the winners enclosure under David Egan who replaces the suspended Jim Crowley.

ENFJAAR 1 point win @ 4/1 bet365

Zanndabad   - N/R                                                     

Aesops Fabels                                    3 35 Yrk               1/40th of a pt ew   36/1

Khaadem                                            3 35 Yrk                1/40th of a pt ew  28/1

Toshizou                                             1 50 Yrk                1/40th of a pt ew   36/1

Revesit                                                2 40 New              1/40th of a pt ew   25/1

Edited by black rabbit
selections

Just had read of The Brigadiers / Richards write ups, so interesting / helpful......oh and of 'brahmin's ghost writer' 😂 i see had a read while i was spending a fortune at Airport 😱 🍺 🥗.........Initially go with 'Highfield Princess' 13/8 as she won easily at Goodwood which more than paid for our day there 👍   

also........ 50/1 EW   Live in the Dream     WON      &    Ladies Church 50/1 EW         &       Khaadem  22/1 EW                 York 3.35  4  places

👍  sooo glad put these on last night with the prices 💷

Edited by Brahmin

Paul Hanagan has his final ride today having announced his retirement this week.

He rode a couple of winners recently including one last week for Rob Burrow the Rugby player. 
He rides Wootton ‘sun for Richard Fahey at York. I think this runner has a good chance.

Either way, regardless of the result he goes out on his own terms, a winner.

Goodwood 1:50

marahaba the champ

each way 

Wootton’sun

win

both of these horses are uniquely placed at the weights and the draw to have a say in the outcome here. I’ve done seven years of draw data and it tells me stall 7 is winning  here, while the physics points to stall 10 and 7 in equal measure. Good luck to Paul on his last ride as a professional jockey and let’s hope it is not too long before he is saddling winners here.

Edited by Sporting Sam

2.25 York If Quickthorn runs its race as it did in this last year and last time out the others will have to run faster than they have ever run before Quickthorns times last year and last time out were of the highest order it was no fluke. 4/1 Quickthorn against courage mon ami (9/4) and coltrane (3/1) shows how biased/rigid thinking (and therefore value) the "punters" are. If you want to back against Quickthorn i suggest Broom is the better option around 8/1 (3 places offer bet365).

300 York i have 3 horses at 123 speed figures which is about average so i have this race wide open with preference for Jahangeer at the price.

335 York Usual suspects are fav/s which is fair enough but Khaadem and queen bee are value at current prices.

14 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

2.25 York If Quickthorn runs its race as it did in this last year and last time out the others will have to run faster than they have ever run before Quickthorns times last year and last time out were of the highest order it was no fluke. 4/1 Quickthorn against courage mon ami (9/4) and coltrane (3/1) shows how biased/rigid thinking (and therefore value) the "punters" are. If you want to back against Quickthorn i suggest Broom is the better option around 8/1 (3 places offer bet365).

300 York i have 3 horses at 123 speed figures which is about average so i have this race wide open with preference for Jahangeer at the price.

335 York Usual suspects are fav/s which is fair enough but Khaadem and queen bee are value at current prices.

And he’s got the great not so sleepy colours who likes a good run from the front 👍

Edited by LEE-GRAYS

Coltrane  /   Highfield Princess  @  10/1 win double

1.50   Bague D'or  9/1 EW    2nd   (b365 boost 5 place offer)         Dark moon rising  10/1 EW           Savvy Knight  33/1 EW              4 places 

2.25   Quickthorn  9/2  (b365 boost)               Coltrane 3/1     WON                   Broome 8/1 EW   (b365  3 places)

Newm 2.40       Film Star  20/1 EW    WON           &                    Just Janet 10/1 EW           ( tips from our Newmarket friends )

3.00   Kings Gamble 5/1  (b365 boost)               Action Point  12/1 EW    4th    ( b365 boost 4 place offer)               Jehangeer  12/1 EW       3 places             

3.35     Highfield Princess 7/4   (b365 boost)            Live in the Dream  50/1 EW     WON       Ladies Church 50/1 EW                Khaadem  22/1 EW                  4 places  

4.10    Rowayeh  11/4   ( b365 boost)                 Reach  4/1     WON                       Prenup   22/1 EW     3RD        3 places     

3pm......our day made / paid for by our Newmarket friends, so rest of days selections a bonus 🥂 👍  

3.30pm....2nd tip from him @ 16/1 EW has WON too 🏆 🥂 ......see thread message below.......unbelieveable day so far 😎

4.30pm UNBELIEVABLE day 50/1 EW Winner as well ....our best ever days racing with winners 🐎 💷......

Edited by Brahmin

Fos las 1:40

monsieur Lambrays

each  way

GRANDMASTER FLASH 

Each way

A nice little female amateur jockey race I say little as it is a class five and not for any misconstrued reason.

I must ask though, why we need woman’s races in this day and age and do they give more or less opportunities to jockeys?

Trooper bidsee is the obvious first port of call a typical improver from mark Prescott. He may run into trouble here though even though sir mark may think he’s shooting fish in a barrel. First issue I perceive is the going. he struggled at Leicester under a penalty on soft to heavy.

next issue again the penalty if he cannot carry it even though he has a claimer on board the energy he’d put into winning here has to go somewhere. 
Grandmaster flash and the top weight monsiuer lambrays are both set to benefit wether the favourite wins or not as his penalty is in recognition of his ability and he is set to generate energy whatever happens. 
Grandmaster flash has been riding away rather badly for Gary Moore since coming over from Ireland and has run in a class two and several class fives. Last win was in Ireland off 95 so thirty pounds and a drop to class five gives huge hopes here along with draw alongside the favourite after two runs for his new yard.

Traverse law helps the top weight monsieur lambrays.

Edited by Sporting Sam

“Goodwood 1:50

marahaba the champ

each way 

Wootton’sun

win

both of these horses are uniquely placed at the weights and the draw to have a say in the outcome here. I’ve done seven years of draw data and it tells me stall 7 is winning  here, while the physics points to stall 10 and 7 in equal measure. Good luck to Paul on his last ride as a professional jockey and let’s hope it is not too long before he is saddling winners here.”

THAT WENT WELL THEN!

4 hours ago, Zilzalian said:

well coltrane and the second ran faster than they have ever run before, we have to go off what we see and know and it wasnt marquand that changed tactics it was more that the others kept in touch which they didnt do on the last 2 occasions quickthorn won. and we see a different result all interesting stuff.

NEWM 3.15   Jayarebe  16/1 EW from Meehans yard to take on hot fav .....text from pal at HQ who gave us 2 tips earlier / 1 was a winner @ 20/1 👍

WON   🏆 well just gets better, our Bank Hols weekend now sorted, so we out for meal tonight on back of this 👍 

Edited by Brahmin

Newmarket 3:50

leadenhall

win

yellow lion

each way

leadenhall slammed the top weight Harlem nights a winner since by two lengths. That one has won since but comes here penalised. So the selection is taken to confirm original running-on these terms. Traverse law of physics says the yellow lion is pulled right into this as bottom weight and at the weights could run well here out of the weights but in receipt of many pounds here……

Edited by Sporting Sam

💃 🥂  woop woop both dancing here with 50/1 EW winner 😎..............our friends in Newmarket just received a phone call from my better half just screaming down the fone 📱 and heard him say in background ''you are living the dream' 😂

Edited by Brahmin

55 minutes ago, Zilzalian said:

well coltrane and the second ran faster than they have ever run before, we have to go off what we see and know and it wasnt marquand that changed tactics it was more that the others kept in touch which they didnt do on the last 2 occasions quickthorn won. and we see a different result all interesting stuff.

That's surprising because to the naked eye it looked like he was traveling a lot slower and i was cursing Tommy Boy,:spank but quickly forgave him when he won the next. 🤑

Those twin imposters remember to treat them both the same!! “quickened up very well. He did (come up the hill strongly). Nice run at two, but we thought on that ground he might get a bit tired. Some of mine have just taken a run this year. I thought he might be no different, but I was impressed with how he went to the line. Looks a smart horse. Huge horse and absolutely some scope. He will be a lovely middle distance/stayer, hopefully.”
After Nurburgring (IRE) finished 1st at Navan on Sat, 22nd Apr 2023 1m 5f Flat Maiden Soft

ive been looking forward to this 98 rated racehorse going jumping and here he comes

NURBURGRING

win

4:15 

Killarney 

listed placed and top rated here, may of course require the run but Joseph O’Brien knows how to ready a horse to a new discipline.

Edited by Sporting Sam

UNBELIEVEABLE  🥂.....our best ever days racing with winners.......'Reach' just won to 🐎.........

'we' stopping now 5pm, wish you all well with your racing for rest of the day, my husband taking me out for dinner to celebrate and have convinced him to withdraw from BOTH accounts NOW 😉 👍.....( shuuuush so he can buy me something 'sparkly' for my 62nd Birthday next month 😎 )

Edited by Brahmin

4:50

killarney

MIGHTY TOM

win

a taking winner by a wide margin here just two runs back.

MISS FOURIE

each way

two ends of the handicap here with them in what looks a typical wide open Irish handicap you’ll get the spread of the field.

it is fair to say Rachael Blackmore is a better chaser than over hurdles but she has every chance here at the weights.

it may have been the torrential rain which kept him back, but a ban would not be out of the question for mighty Tom’s jockey. He doesn’t deserve a medal for huge gains late on but a stewards enquiry. This horse ought to have won easily if put into the race. I very rarely point out rides but this is a cause celeb!!

Still “ the twin imposters “ treat them the same.

Edited by Sporting Sam