Paddy Power Money Back if 2nd or 3rd and William Hill horse offers

Hello, I have been doing PP Money Back if 2nd or 3rd and WH Plus Boost, Bet £10 Get £10 Free bet and MBAL for a few weeks. I am having bad results - mostly losses/break even with PP Money Back if 2nd or 3rd offer. Can anyone please give any tips with punting horses, how to predict and choose a horse that will likely win and help me become a better punter? For example, one of the PP's races today 15:20 Yarmouth, I wanted to punt/AP Goblet Of Fire(2nd fav) but then I decided to go with Sun Festival(Fav) because it won last week but Goblet Of Fire won ;( I would appreciate any tips very much. I am very frustrated and tired of the losses.

Edited by Lexia

Just back the favourite!? That's all? No pro tips or any other tips?  What does 'short price' mean? As said in my post, unfortunately the PP Money Back if 2nd or 3rd race have 8 or more runners. I never seen less than 8...

Don't you have some tips that will enable me to win almost every time or most of the time? If I back the favourite for every race, I will be winning and losing 50/50 or more/less

Edited by Lexia

19 minutes ago, Lexia said:

Just back the favourite!? That's all?

Yep, whilst you have the money back offer, just back the favourite. Keep records and work out which odds it is profitable at and what number of runners it is profitable at. You are very fortunate to have this offer, most of us don't. I made over £800 just backing the favourite before the offer was taken from me.

1 hour ago, Lexia said:

Don't you have some tips that will enable me to win almost every time or most of the time?

No. If I did I would be on my yacht in the Bahamas !

I am sceptical of Mcclarke's tips coz about 70% of the time 2nd fav or others wins. I am hoping if there are tips that I can win almost always or most of the time if there are. 1 strategy I am considering is punting/AP the horse with closest back and lay odds(On an exchange). What are everyone's thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Lexia said:

I am sceptical of Mcclarke's tips coz about 70% of the time 2nd fav or others wins. I am hoping if there are tips that I can win almost always or most of the time if there are. 1 strategy I am considering is punting/AP the horse with closest back and lay odds(On an exchange). What are everyone's thoughts?

Why not 'paper trade ' your idea ? If you truly want to be a better punter, it takes effort. I'm sure we have all made countless mistakes when we started, the idea is to record as much detail as possible and try to eliminate as many bad habits as possible. The advice of backing Favs is probably not a bad one, although I'm not sure what the actual 'offer' is that you get.

3 minutes ago, Lexia said:

I am sceptical of Mcclarke's tips coz about 70% of the time 2nd fav or others wins.

But if you back any other horse the % of times the favourite or another horse wins will be even higher. @MCLARKE was simply suggesting to you (as someone who acknowledges that they haven't got much of an idea how to pick a horse) the best way to optimise your return from the PP offer. (The favourite is likely to either win or trigger the money back offer more than any other selection that you might select at random.)

7 minutes ago, Lexia said:

I am hoping if there are tips that I can win almost always or most of the time

No, there aren't. Put a lot of hard work and study in for a long time to improve your ability to identify horses that are on offer at a reasonable price as opposed to a poor one. The very best punters only make a relatively small profit as a % of turnover and still encounter losing runs. 3 of them could look at the same race and all come up with a different selection. Even then they won't always find the winner.

On the evidence of your posts you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of there being some sort of easy route to constant profit. My inclination is to suggest that betting isn't for you and you'd probably be better looking for another hobby. You're not enjoying it while you're losing (a reality that the vast majority of recreational punters have to accept) and seem to be aspiring to a quick fix that is unlikely to be attainable.

Could anyone help me? What is the number of Just Janet before the race started(Based on odds)?

https://www.attheraces.com/racecard/Catterick/12-July-2023/1540

@bang on What do you mean by 'paper trade' ? I know it takes effort and time, although it is very frustrating, tiring and discouraging. Some may feel like giving up. As stated on the post, 'PP Money Back if 2nd or 3rd and WH Plus Boost, Bet £10 Get £10 Free bet and MBAL'

2 hours ago, Lexia said:

Could anyone help me? What is the number of Just Janet before the race started(Based on odds)?

@bang on What do you mean by 'paper trade' ? I know it takes effort and time, although it is very frustrating, tiring and discouraging. Some may feel like giving up. As stated on the post, 'PP Money Back if 2nd or 3rd and WH Plus Boost, Bet £10 Get £10 Free bet and MBAL'

Recording the bets that you 'might have had' but didn't actually put any money down. Even over a week (or better still a month) will give you an idea as to whether or not it is worth doing. Believe me, I have had lots of 'ideas' over the years, but very few have been successful long term (over 3 months).

The biggest mistakes.. and reason for failure with punters are underfunding (too small a betting bank - a few losses cause a panic),... disillusionment ( it doesn't make money fast enough so other bets start to creep in.. instant failure), ... and greed (trying to win too much at once). Most professionals are more than happy to make slow and steady progress, there really is no quick fix solution.

1 hour ago, Bang on said:

Recording the bets that you 'might have had' but didn't actually put any money down. Even over a week (or better still a month) will give you an idea as to whether or not it is worth doing. Believe me, I have had lots of 'ideas' over the years, but very few have been successful long term (over 3 months).

The biggest mistakes.. and reason for failure with punters are underfunding (too small a betting bank - a few losses cause a panic),... disillusionment ( it doesn't make money fast enough so other bets start to creep in.. instant failure), ... and greed (trying to win too much at once). Most professionals are more than happy to make slow and steady progress, there really is no quick fix solution.

A very good summary.

For Lexia to get an appreciation of what it is realistic to hope to achieve, arguably the best UK racing punter of the last 30 years Patrick Veitch stated he achieved a profit on turnover of 16.6% in his book "Public Enemy". In every 10 bets that equates to two 100/30 winners, one 2/1 winner and 7 losers.

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

A very good summary.

For Lexia to get an appreciation of what it is realistic to hope to achieve, arguably the best UK racing punter of the last 30 years Patrick Veitch stated he achieved a profit on turnover of 16.6% in his book "Public Enemy". In every 10 bets that equates to two 100/30 winners, one 2/1 winner and 7 losers.

I am happy to make 5% over the course of a year but I will have losing months within that.

When I first started betting over 40 years ago I thought it was the way to make an easy fortune. 25 years of losses later I realised it wasn't !

6 hours ago, Bang on said:

I still want to be profiting not having losses overall in a week/month. 

22 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Yep, whilst you have the money back offer, just back the favourite. Keep records and work out which odds it is profitable at and what number of runners it is profitable at. You are very fortunate to have this offer, most of us don't. I made over £800 just backing the favourite before the offer was taken from me.

No. If I did I would be on my yacht in the Bahamas !

I am struggling with which app should I use to keep records. I prefer not to pay for a Microsoft Excel. Is it ok to just record them on Notepad or what? Also wdym by 'which odds it is profitable at and what number of runners it is profitable at'?

9 hours ago, Lexia said:

I still want to be profiting not having losses overall in a week/month. 

Everybody wants to be profiting every week but nobody does. Ditto I doubt if anybody profits every month. You need to adopt a longer timeframe - say 3 months- to aim for profits. The purpose of the paper bets approach is to see if the ideas you have are profitable in the long term.

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Everybody wants to be profiting every week but nobody does. Ditto I doubt if anybody profits every month. You need to adopt a longer timeframe - say 3 months- to aim for profits. The purpose of the paper bets approach is to see if the ideas you have are profitable in the long term.

If I do paper trading, then what strategy should I go with in the meantime while I am still punting with real money?

4 minutes ago, Lexia said:

If I do paper trading, then what strategy should I go with in the meantime while I am still punting with real money?

According to your opening post you are not doing very well at the moment punting with real money so it might be best to take a break from that and just do paper trading. Save up some money which you can set aside as your betting bank which is money earmarked solely for betting - you should have done this already - and return to real betting when you are satisfied from the results of your paper trading that you have a reasonable chance of being profitable.

1 hour ago, Lexia said:

If you have the money back as cash offer then back the favourite as I have suggested, I would be surprised iy you weren't in profit over a monthly period. Otherwise paper trade as has been suggested.

54 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

If you have the money back as cash offer then back the favourite as I have suggested, I would be surprised iy you weren't in profit over a monthly period. Otherwise paper trade as has been suggested.

What about Bet £10 Get £10 free bet and MBAL? 

Also could you tell me what is the horse number of Just Janet before the race started(Based on odds) pls? Like fav, 2nd, 3rd e.g.?

39 minutes ago, Lexia said:

What about Bet £10 Get £10 free bet and MBAL? 

The MBAL you obviously can't lose at, for maximum profits you need odds somewhere between 6/1 to 10/1

The free bet offers are a bit more complex, again you are better off going for the favourite, with the free bet again you need odds between 6/1 and 10/1

I've made thousands from these offers over the years if you play them right