** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Betfred World Matchplay

Fader

Seems like this has come back around very quickly. How time flies. The World Matchplay is a huge event. Only the Worlds would get more appeal really. I mentioned last year that it's normally won by 'big' players and that happened once again last year, with MVG beating Price in the final.

It kicks off July 15th and runs til 23rd July, at the Winter Gardens. It's a much longer leg format and that will be part of the reason that the very best normally win this one.

I think the best bet comes in the shape of Van Den Bergh. He has the best draw and you can get 28/1 for him in some places. If we divide the draw into sections and we look to the likely winner then we see M.Smith in 1, Price in 2, MVG in 4 and Van Den Bergh in 3. This section has Clayton (who I thought about), Searle, Gilding, RVB.  Whilst I can see Clayton beating Van Den Bergh, I just don't think you can ignore the past success that Van Den Bergh has had, here.

I'll take 2 from the top half and 2 from the bottom half. I was temped with Dobey after some decent performances at the Players Championship. I am also keen to see how De Sousa performs. In reality though, I think Van Den Bergh is some solid value.

interesting that Betfred are going 4 places for this (1/4th off the odds instead of 1/2) but in an event where it's normally won by a big player that doesn't interest me.

2pts e/w Van Den Bergh to win World Matchplay 28/1 William Hill
1.5pt e/w Chisnall to win World Matchplay 25/1 William Hill
-----------------------------------------------
0.75pts e/w Cullen to win World Matchplay 80/1 Skybet
0.75pts e/w Gilding to win World Matchplay 150/1 Paddypower

25 minutes ago, Fader said:

Willhill are offering 8/1 on 3+ 180s for every player. I reckon that's decent value. Only Gurney doesn't score a decent amount in my mind but with so many legs ...

Sorry but you've got no chance with this bet as... I've followed you in! :unsure

I see it's a double odds offer and I've got a matched freebie offer today as well so, on a quiet day, it seems a reasonable use of a tenner's worth of "fun" money.

4 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Sorry but you've got no chance with this bet as... I've followed you in! :unsure

I see it's a double odds offer and I've got a matched freebie offer today as well so, on a quiet day, it seems a reasonable use of a tenner's worth of "fun" money.

lol, somebody will let us down, won't they?

16 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Heehee don't worry. I always say I definitely curse people on here as when I bet slightly more than usual on their tips, they end up losing🤣🤣 but when I bet tiny bets, they win 😂😂

6 minutes ago, vikki37 said:

Heehee don't worry. I always say I definitely curse people on here as when I bet slightly more than usual on their tips, they end up losing🤣🤣 but when I bet tiny bets, they win 😂😂

always happens.

Didn't see MVG going out, to Dolan.

It's a hard night to call, tonight. Here's the line up :

Van Den Bergh v Ross Smith
Searle v RVB
Wright v Gilding
Clayton v Clemens

I think Gilding is worth a bet tonight. We rarely know what's going to happen with Wright but it's likely he'll either win easy with a 105+ average or he'll look terrible and lose. I think it's worth giving a bet to Gilding as we know he shoudn't crumble under the pressure. In terms of the other matches, Van Den Bergh, I'm hoping, will prove me right in choosing him over Clayton for the outright pick. He should beat Ross Smith tonight. I'll stick him in a 4-fold with RVB and Clayton.

2pts Gilding to beat Wright 11/8 Bet365
1pt 4-fold Van Den Bergh, RVB, Gilding and Clayton 12,5/1 Bet365

13 hours ago, Fader said:

willhill are offering the following

2pts Clayton to hit over 3.5 180s and checkout over 99.5 9/2 WillHil

think that's some nice value there so I'll go 2pts.

4 180s and a high checkout of 86. Seriously? 86 highest break when you have played 18 legs. The quality in some of these matches has been shocking..

14 minutes ago, Fader said:

4 180s and a high break of 86. Seriously? 86 highest break when you have played 18 legs. The quality in some of these matches have real shockers.

I feel like (with the elimination of MVG), Humphries-DVD might be the most crucial 1/8 final matchup, regarding the outright winner... (and of course, Price-Cullen and VDB-Clayton too).

32 minutes ago, ThunderDan9 said:

I feel like (with the elimination of MVG), Humphries-DVD might be the most crucial 1/8 final matchup, regarding the outright winner... (and of course, Price-Cullen and VDB-Clayton too).

I've just realised I wrote high break instead of high out because I was looking at the Snooker :D 

Yeah, Humphries is in a nice position now. Would love to see Cullen beat Price tonight.

We will know the final 8 after tonight. Here is tonight's lineup: 

Dolan v Heta
Clayton v Van Den Bergh
Wright v Searle
Humphries v DVD

MVG was the favourite. He went out. Price become the favourite and went out, then Smith and now Humphries lines up to play DVD with the new tag of 'Favourite' in what looks to be a wide-open tournament. The matches have been so hard to call that every single one yesterday was an upset. I'm going with the following. I've stuck to small stakes with these because ultimately, the outrights are hard enough to call, let alone the matches. Good luck all

2pts Wright and Humphries both to hit 5+ 180s and win their matches 5/1 Skybet
2pts Van Den Bergh to beat Clayton (and hit most 180s) 7/4 Paddy Power
1pt Accy - Heta win (and most 180s) / Van Den Bergh win (and most 180s) / Wright win / Humphries win 12/1 Paddypower

I dare not bet tonight as everytime I do, my guy loses :\

Part of me doesn't work Dobey to win as I had him on my pre-tournament short list as a very big price. He takes on Aspinall and then Cullen takes on Gurney to see who will be the first two semi-finalists.

reluctantly, I'll be going with the following (kiss of death)

2pts Cullen to beat Gurney and hit most 180s 11/8 Paddypower
2pts Aspinall to beat Dobey and hit most 180s 7/4 Paddypower
1pt double of the two above 5.5/1 Padypower

that's better. All 3 bets win :ok

17 hours ago, Fader said:

I dare not bet tonight as everytime I do, my guy loses :\

Part of me doesn't work Dobey to win as I had him on my pre-tournament short list as a very big price. He takes on Aspinall and then Cullen takes on Gurney to see who will be the first two semi-finalists.

reluctantly, I'll be going with the following (kiss of death)

2pts Cullen to beat Gurney and hit most 180s 11/8 Paddypower
2pts Aspinall to beat Dobey and hit most 180s 7/4 Paddypower
1pt double of the two above 5.5/1 Padypower

tonight we'll know the full semi-final line up and the 'Final 4'. Here's what we got :

Searle v Clayton
Heta v Humphries

The first match, I'll be going with Clayton. Pre tournament I couldn't decide to go with Clayton or Van Den Bergh in that bottom half and I went with the experience of the event and the price rather than the current form. Despite Clayton being poor in the first round, he obviously raised his game to beat the guy I backed. Hitting a 170 when Van Den Bergh was in a good spot. He must have hit about 3/4 100+ checkouts in that match and it seemed he was destined to win.

Clayton has a good record against Searle but Searle looked abit dodgy to me against Wright. Wright was woeful and that helped Searle. I think if it was closer that Searle would have felt it even more. He didn't book a hotel room to stay here this long and that also shows his lack of belief perhaps? I think Clayton wins. I think we'll see a good few 100+ checkouts in this one, too.

In the other match Heta and Humphries could be an interesting one. Heta looked so assured in the last round. i thought he was very impressive. Perhaps that Players Championship win prior to this tournament has given him some extra confidence. I wasn't impressed with Humphries really, against DVD. DVD crumbled and bottled it once again otherwise he wouldn't be here. However, you need to be able to score big to GET TO THAT POINT in this match and I just wonder if Humphries scoring power will win the day, here. They've met 3 times in 2023 and Humphries has won them all.

2pts Clayton to win / Searle most 180s 3/1 Skybet
2pts Humphries to win and most 180s 11/8 Paddypower
2pts Clayton -2.5 legs / Humphries to win and most 180s 4/1 Skybet
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1pt Searle v Clayton - Both players 7+ 180s, and both players to hit 2+ 100+ checkouts 7/1 Skybet
1pt Humphries and Clayton both to hit 3+ 100+ checkouts 7/1 Skybet
1pt Clayton to win and Searle most 180s & Humphries to win and most 180s 8/1 Skybet

3/1 winner for Clayton and Searle. Somehow Humphries and Heta ended 6-6 on 180s. That sounds about right, Would have been 11/8, 4/1 and 8/1 winners too.

Tomorrows semi-finals :

Cullen v Aspinall
Clayton v Humphries

actually think we'll see Aspinall v Humphries final based on what I've seen. However, fingers crossed for Cullen making the final for a 40/1 winner, at least.